inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me About The Residents (like who the heck are those eyeball guys?)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/07 at 1:57 pm

Anything about the weirdo, eyeball-masked experimental music band hailing from San Francisco by way of Sheveport, LA can be asked about here. I will give you the facts or my opinion (which is not always blindingly positive).

Subject: Re: Ask Me About The Residents (like who the heck are those eyeball guys?)

Written By: Tia on 06/13/07 at 2:04 pm

are there pictures of them anywhere, or are their true identities a mystery?

i have an album of elvis songs they did. it’s very weird.

Subject: Re: Ask Me About The Residents (like who the heck are those eyeball guys?)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/07 at 2:13 pm

are there pictures of them anywhere, or are their true identities a mystery?

There are pictures of them EVERYWHERE (masked and unmasked  ;) ), the true identities are a mystery...

This is not a question I will directly answer, for I have no official answer. HOWEVER, anyone who can use the Internet and read up on songwriters' credits for copyright control can discern who They are. Most fans have figured it out already, and I'm one of them, but I will not directly answer this in case others might want to find out for themselves or just want to keep the mystery alive.

I will tell you, based on what I know, that they are no one of significance hiding under an assumed name. I will tell you who I think it is, Tia, via PM.

BTW, Try their Third Reich N Roll album for more bizarre rock and roll covers, if it interests you.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/13/07 at 2:14 pm

How do you know about The Residents?  What's your favorite <song>?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/07 at 2:19 pm

How do you know about The Residents?  What's your favorite <song>?

It's bizarre, but I cannot honestly remember when i FIRST heard about them. I can say I read about them in Rolling Stones Book of Music Video (which devoted many of its pages to Their music videos--some of the first ones ever made), and also say that I saw the "It's A Mans World" video on MTV for starters.

Favorite song? Hard to choose...favorites include "Cry For The Fire", "Make Me Moo", "Ober", "Seasoned Greetings", "Hello Skinny"...just off of top of mind right now.

Easier to say that my favorite albums of theirs include Fingerprince, Eskimo, Not Available, God In Three Persons.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/13/07 at 3:17 pm

What does  your friends and loved ones think of them? 

Do you like the DJremixes of their stuff?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/07 at 7:57 am

What does  your friends and loved ones think of them?   

Do you like the DJremixes of their stuff?

People are curious initially, then they generally leave me alone after I explain what they are all about and allow me to revel in my oddball tastes. The wife tolerates them, and I actually dragged her to the Wormwood and Icky Flix concerts. :D (well, I tolerated Depeche Mode for her!)

I have only heard a small portion of King And Eye RMX, it did add a nice kick to Viva Las Vegas. In general, though,  my thoughts about pop music remixes are "take it or leave it." (but I thought Beck's Guerolito was BETTER than Guero itself.)

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/14/07 at 10:07 am

haha..I got dragged to the Freak  Show concert and ended up liking it.  The dudes voice grates my nerves.

Are they artist first or musicians first?

Written By: Tia on 06/14/07 at 10:24 am

i really like their version of "return to sender." and that was the thing with king and eye, they took all these boisterous elvis songs and just by changing the mood of the music they suddenly sound very disturbing, all about co-dependency and loneliness and loss.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/07 at 10:33 am

haha..I got dragged to the Freak  Show concert and ended up liking it.  The dudes voice grates my nerves.

Are they artist first or musicians first?

I believe they would tell you they are artists first. They (alegedly) met in college in the 60s, took drugs, tried to do some artwork. Their concept of a band, as loose as it is, was an artistic decision first, not an attempt to make music. It is established fact that these guys came into their field with very little, if any, musical experience (i believe, though, that somebody in the band had rudimentary ability on the piano and various brass instruments...the vocalist has been seen often playing saxophone, so I think that was his former musical training. But you can't tell for certain. ???)

When and Where did you see a "Freak Show concert"?...they never toured specifically for that album. ???

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/14/07 at 10:22 pm

In San Fran at the Fillmore. 1997....I don't know  if it was called "FreakShow" but they did songs from it...I was there, I swear...It was a Halloween..I was there with Ima Buddy and Poxodd. 8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/15/07 at 8:42 am

In San Fran at the Fillmore. 1997....I don't know  if it was called "FreakShow" but they did songs from it...I was there, I swear...It was a Halloween..I was there with Ima Buddy and Poxodd.

Oh wow, I know of whom you speak...old Smelly Tongues folks. If you are in touch with them, telll them they should post at the Giant Eyeballs Group at Yahoo...quite active and virtually spam-free. (and you should too, if you don't already!)

I'm jealous of S.F. fans, you all get a really unique show each Halloween...the rest of the world has to wait every couple years for Them to tour!  ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/15/07 at 9:16 am

thnaks for inspiring me to take my records out and get listedning.
i have not listened to that in years!

The Commercial Album is first.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/15/07 at 10:26 am

thnaks for inspiring me to take my records out and get listedning.
i have not listened to that in years!

The Commercial Album is first.

Belle, do you have the DVD? Highly recommended.

Written By: KKay on 06/15/07 at 10:27 am

Belle, do you have the DVD? Highly recommended.

nope. but i bet i know someone that does. i will LOVE watching that.

Written By: ralfy on 04/17/16 at 12:34 pm

"A New Documentary Reveals Much About The Residents — But Not Their Identities"

http://www.laweekly.com/music/a-new-documentary-reveals-much-about-the-residents-but-not-their-identities-6779073

Check for new replies or respond here...