inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm asking about stuff prior to my move to the States

Written By: karen on 06/18/07 at 2:47 pm

If you've being following my life thus far you will know that I will be moving out to Connecticut in August due to my husband's job.  I thought I'd start this thread as an easy way for me to ask anyone and everyone questions I've got about life in the States.

My first question(s) is for any parents out there.  How much do tennis lessons, swimming lessons, dancing and keyboard lessons cost for children?  How available are they and does anyone have any contacts for organisations I could try and book these things with?

Subject: Re: I'm asking about stuff prior to my move to the States

Written By: statsqueen on 06/18/07 at 4:52 pm

If you've being following my life thus far you will know that I will be moving out to Connecticut in August due to my husband's job.  I thought I'd start this thread as an easy way for me to ask anyone and everyone questions I've got about life in the States.

My first question(s) is for any parents out there.  How much do tennis lessons, swimming lessons, dancing and keyboard lessons cost for children?  How available are they and does anyone have any contacts for organisations I could try and book these things with?

The cost is going to vary depending on where you are and from whom you get them (sorry).  Things tend to be more expensive in the east because that seems to be where the better incomes are (generally speaking).  Tennis lessons will be more expensive at private country clubs, but you may get a discount if you become a member.  I would check into your local YMCA or Red Cross for swimming lessons.  Dancing lessons, try the local yellow pages for studios then compare the prices of the ones who offer the types of dance you are looking for (tap, ballet, jazz, etc.).  Keyboard/piano lessons, I think (and I could be wrong) are usually done with private instruction.  Contact the local schools or musical organizations (if there are any) or again, the local yellow pages of the phone book.  You may not have much luck until school is back in session to make contact w/ schools, but if they have websites you might be able to e-mail the various music teachers to see if they have any idea (of course I don't know if they can or do check e-mail during the summer).  Also, ask around when you get settled.  Seems like that would be a great ice breaker to meeting neighbors, etc. and getting opinions based on actual knowledge.

This is just my 2 cents worth, of course.  There are probabaly others (located more closely to Connecticut than me--I'm in Michigan) who may have better ideas or actually know people in the area....but I hope this helps in some small way.

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 10:23 pm

Just a few quick points for you Karen, seeing as you live all of about 15 miles up the road from where I grew up, I dare say you'll be as ignorant as I was when I first moved here.

You understand, I don't mean ignorant in a bad way, simply.. things you've never experienced before.

Ok - Don't try and put your own shopping in the bags, they get really pissed off about that.

You're going to get asked "Oh, where are you from?" soooo much, just make up something to amuse you and the kids, I find "Oh, I'm from Uzbekistan." works well, most folks out here have never even heard of it. Of course, in Connecticut the level of intelligence is a little higher I'm sure, but It'll be a good conversation killer.

Don't even bother buying a stick shift, after the 48th stop sign you'll want to kill something.

Right. On. Red! Use that law, it's wonderful!

Most restaurants actually serve a real salad here, so when you order a side salad, don't expect the 2 pieces of dry lettuce and some watercress you get in England, it's about a half a meal's worth.

I'll think of more later.

Written By: karen on 06/19/07 at 7:27 am

The cost is going to vary depending on where you are and from whom you get them (sorry).  Things tend to be more expensive in the east because that seems to be where the better incomes are (generally speaking). 

Also, ask around when you get settled.  Seems like that would be a great ice breaker to meeting neighbors, etc. and getting opinions based on actual knowledge.

Do you perhaps know of ball park figures for these?  I'm not sure why but my husband wants to know for a meeting we are going to in about 24 hours time.

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/19/07 at 7:35 am

I remember when I was stationed in the UK in the early 80's, a good steak was impossible to find, either anywhere in Cornwall (Newquay) or up in London.  You won't have that problem here.....

No open air butcher shops like in Newquay either....

No flats here with coin operated utilities like there....the bill comes in the mail once a month...

We drive on the correct side of the road here (lol), and say goodbye to round a bouts, you won't find them here....

If you like Cornish pasties, bring a good recipe for them, you won't get them here....is there such a thing as a "good" cornish pastie??

No clotted cream either......

Conn. is a nice state, but cost of living in most places is pretty high.......I visited a buddy of mine from the Corps in Guilford years back, prices were bad then and I'm sure it's worse now......nice state though, he lived right on the ocean and the weather was moderate most of the time.......

Written By: statsqueen on 06/19/07 at 8:01 am

Do you perhaps know of ball park figures for these?  I'm not sure why but my husband wants to know for a meeting we are going to in about 24 hours time.

Shoot, I just read your post, so I probably missed your 24 hr meeting "deadline"...I'm sorry.  I honestly don't know how much help I will be since I live in Michigan and the economic climate here is different.  YMCA shouldn't be too expensive (but then again, I've never lived in the East).  I'm sorry I can't be more help to you!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/07 at 10:40 am

Do you know where in Conn. you are going to moving to? I have two sisters who live in Conn. and if it is close to them, I could ask them about the specifics. They may know.

Cat

Written By: karen on 06/19/07 at 10:50 am

Do you know where in Conn. you are going to moving to? I have two sisters who live in Conn. and if it is close to them, I could ask them about the specifics. They may know.

Cat

Thanks Cat.  I think we will be moving to Glastonbury but certainly near East Hartford because that's where Dai will be working.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/07 at 10:55 am

Thanks Cat.  I think we will be moving to Glastonbury but certainly near East Hartford because that's where Dai will be working.

A bit of a distance from my sisters live (they live close to New Haven). Let me see if I can do a search and see what I can come up with.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/07 at 11:13 am

There is a country club that includes tennis & swimming lessons but membership (IMO) is outrageous.

http://www.glastonburyhills.com/Membership.html

Unfortunately, my search didn't come up with much else. My advice when you get there, go through the phone book and local newspapers. Also, you might want to have your husband ask at his new job. Word of mouth is always the best way to find what you want.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/07 at 1:42 pm

I live on the West Coast, but I am sure there are few variances between West and East coast incomes. I can give you an idea of what some of this stuff may cost you: (mind you, there are parts of the west coast where incomes are very high, as well, so it really depends on where you live and it varies from city to city)

Tennis Lessons: Well, to be honest, I've never had one tennis lesson in my life. So, if I were looking for Tennis Lessons - I'd say screw private lessons and go to a community college. You'd pay a one time fee for a semester's worth (Usually a semester runs Aug-Dec or Jan-May) of lessons and you'd be with other people, too. Now, if your kids are generally smaller, this may not be the best route, but it sure saves you a lot of money! Many high schoolers go to community colleges for this stuff.

Swimming Lessons: Out where I live, I believe swimming lessons to be within $30-$40 per lesson.

Dancing Lessons: Dancing may be a little higher depending on the school, the teacher and the area (also level of dance may depend on how much they'll charge). I think at starting, they'd be $20-$25 an hour/lesson. More advanced training may start at $30-$40 an hour, or per lesson.

Piano/Keyboard I know this from experience as my mom teaches this to children. From what she's told me, some people charge as high as $30-$40 a half hour - which is way too much! I would say $20 a half hour would be reasonable. Anything less would be a steal, and possibly suspect - lol

Written By: karen on 06/20/07 at 3:25 am

I live on the West Coast, but I am sure there are few variances between West and East coast incomes. I can give you an idea of what some of this stuff may cost you: (mind you, there are parts of the west coast where incomes are very high, as well, so it really depends on where you live and it varies from city to city)

Thanks for this.  We just needed some ballpark figures to show that some aspects of our life may cost more in the US than here even though petrol and groceries might be cheaper or about the same.  For example

Swimming Lessons: Out where I live, I believe swimming lessons to be within $30-$40 per lesson.

Per lesson?     I pay about this for 12 weeks worth or lessons per child at the moment
                http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/20/07 at 4:33 am

Karen-

A lot of the price depends on the experience and location of the instructors.

Some are quite reasonable, while others will make you think it'd be more affordable to move to Peru.
It really depends on the individuals.

Best advice I can give is: Upon settling in, look in the telephone book (Yellow Pages), and start shopping around for quotes.

Written By: karen on 06/21/07 at 6:01 am

I remember when I was stationed in the UK in the early 80's, a good steak was impossible to find, either anywhere in Cornwall (Newquay) or up in London.  You won't have that problem here.....

It depends on what you call a good steak i guess, size isn't everything.

No flats here with coin operated utilities like there....the bill comes in the mail once a month...

We're getting a house.  Ah! do you mean like getting your electricity by putting money in the slot?  That's not that common here really.

We drive on the correct side of the road here (lol), and say goodbye to round a bouts, you won't find them here....

I think you'll find you're wrong about that  ;) but I'll try and remember.

What is the traffic light sequence?  I've a feeling that might be different.  :-\\

If you like Cornish pasties, bring a good recipe for them, you won't get them here....is there such a thing as a "good" cornish pastie??

I think I'll survive without them

No clotted cream either......

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/21/07 at 10:40 am

You are right about us driving on the CORRECT side of the road, (lol) but you are wrong about the round-a-bouts. Unfortunately, they are springing up a lot around here. There are trying to get one in not far from me when a light works very well.

Cat

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/21/07 at 11:42 am

You are right about us driving on the CORRECT side of the road, (lol) but you are wrong about the round-a-bouts. Unfortunately, they are springing up a lot around here. There are trying to get one in not far from me when a light works very well.

Cat

Really??  I'd love to see one of those put into place here....ought to be interesting to see how U.S. drivers respond to that....thanks Cat...

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 12:05 pm

Really??  I'd love to see one of those put into place here....ought to be interesting to see how U.S. drivers respond to that....thanks Cat...

There are roundabouts here in Illinois as well. Not that many admittedly.. and American drivers are by and far so bad that I doubt they'll catch on, but they'd be useful. It costs about a tenth as much as an overpass to install and they're so much better than 4 way junctions, keeps the traffic flowing, you just need a brain to navigate one.  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 06/21/07 at 2:46 pm

Cat

I think there is a roundabout in Bradenton/Bradenton Beach, FL or thereabouts.  Never having been to the UK, I don't know for sure.  I can only go by what I've seen on "Keeping Up Appearances".  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/21/07 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for this.  We just needed some ballpark figures to show that some aspects of our life may cost more in the US than here even though petrol and groceries might be cheaper or about the same.  For example

Per lesson?      I pay about this for 12 weeks worth or lessons per child at the moment
                 http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Swimming lessons can vary, I suppose, so it really depends...

Written By: karen on 06/22/07 at 10:45 am

How much would be a reasonable price to pay for a second-hand PT Cruiser? 

I like the way they look and I'll have to buy some sort of second-hand car to be able to get about.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/22/07 at 6:31 pm

I like the way they look and I'll have to buy some sort of second-hand car to be able to get about.

They look cute, but they run like second rate jalopies. I would suggest a Mini Cooper over a PT Cruiser. I rode in a PT Cruiser for awhile while in Vegas for a few days.

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/07 at 7:41 pm

You have a Mercedes right?

Pick yourself up an SLK, they're a lot cheaper here.

Written By: karen on 06/25/07 at 9:08 am

They look cute, but they run like second rate jalopies. I would suggest a Mini Cooper over a PT Cruiser. I rode in a PT Cruiser for awhile while in Vegas for a few days.

Hmm hubby said he wasn't too impressed with them either but they got a good write up in What Car?  :-\\

You have a Mercedes right?

Yes an A class.  I don't want to sell it  :\'(

Written By: La Roche on 06/25/07 at 11:32 am

Hmm hubby said he wasn't too impressed with them either but they got a good write up in What Car?  :-\\

Yeah, don't get a PT cruiser, they're awful. If you want a Chrysler, buy a Sebring.

A class?! You fool!! Sell it, those things are death traps, worst car Mercedes ever designed!

Written By: karen on 06/26/07 at 3:22 am

A class?! You fool!! Sell it, those things are death traps, worst car Mercedes ever designed!

no, they did a re-design.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/07 at 12:53 pm

You could ship it but that could get expensive. My sister-in-law bought a BMW when she was living in L.A. When she moved to Puerto Rico, she didn't want to sell it so she had it shipped. I don't know how much that cost her.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 06/26/07 at 3:14 pm

Can't someone garage it for you and just give it a run or let the engine run for a while every so many weeks?

Written By: La Roche on 06/26/07 at 4:22 pm

no, they did a re-design.

Proving that Mercedes ought to stay out of the small car market and leave that to crappy companies.

I thought you's guys also had a 5 series or something?

This isn't a knock against Mercedes by the way, as recently as yesterday I was berating somebody for buying a new car (always a mistake) and they said, well, if you had the money, what would you buy new? I said - Nothing, I'd buy a used SL.  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/27/07 at 3:13 am

Proving that Mercedes ought to stay out of the small car market and leave that to crappy companies.

I thought you's guys also had a 5 series or something?

My other car is also German: it's an Audio A4

Written By: karen on 06/27/07 at 3:15 am

Can't someone garage it for you and just give it a run or let the engine run for a while every so many weeks?

Hmm not sure that this does the car much good in the long run.  Actually the thing I like most about it will be less relevant in three years.  It comes with built-in child seats which I think is a great idea.  (they easily convert into normal sized seats.)

Written By: La Roche on 06/27/07 at 10:25 am

My other car is also German: it's an Audio A4

Good for you, German cars are superior to all others.

Personally, I'd sell the A Class (for what you'd get for that, you could purchase a reasonable vehicle here - Remember, we don't get ripped off for cars like you do.) and then have somebody run the Audi occasionally, I'm sure my Ma would be happy to help you out, she's stuck with my old Freelander after her car died.

Written By: karen on 06/29/07 at 7:10 am

do primary school children have a school uniform?

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 8:20 am

do primary school children have a school uniform?

Not often, depends where you send them, some private schools do, I don't think any regular state schools do though.

Written By: karen on 06/29/07 at 8:22 am

Not often, depends where you send them, some private schools do, I don't think any regular state schools do though.

Yeah, we'll just be using the local schools.  I'd heard they didn't have a uniform.  That's a bummer, have to buy more 'normal' clothes now

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 8:23 am

Yeah, we'll just be using the local schools.  I'd heard they didn't have a uniform.  That's a bummer, have to buy more 'normal' clothes now

For you maybe, I dare say the kids are more excited that they wont have to wear awful bloody school uniforms. Ugh, I hated those.

Written By: karen on 06/29/07 at 8:31 am

For you maybe, I dare say the kids are more excited that they wont have to wear awful bloody school uniforms. Ugh, I hated those.

Primary school isn't too bad, just 'school' trousers, white polo shirt and a blue sweatshirt with the school logo.

I hated wearing a tie and a blazer

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/07 at 11:00 am

Some public schools are starting to have "uniforms"-usually blue jeans and white shirts. There are pros and cons to that issue. You may want to check with the local school to find out if they have a dress code.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 10:21 pm

Some public schools are starting to have "uniforms"-usually blue jeans and white shirts. There are pros and cons to that issue. You may want to check with the local school to find out if they have a dress code.

Cat

Pros for the parents and cons for the kids.

I hated school uniforms, but admittedly, there's no way my ma and dad had the money to keep me in regular clothes when school uniforms were so cheap.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/29/07 at 10:44 pm

One thing Karen, You are moving to the northeast so don't be discouraged when you can't understand
half of what people are talking about. Believe me, they will be speaking English it just won't be any kind
of English you're accustomed to.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 10:50 pm

One thing Karen, You are moving to the northeast so don't be discouraged when you can't understand
half of what people are talking about. Believe me, they will be speaking English it just won't be any kind

ugh, at least people there can talk at a decent speed, out here it takes a day to have a conversation because the dumb farm f**ks can barely speak at normal levels.

Written By: karen on 07/02/07 at 3:37 am

That's alright.  I don't expect them to understand my accent at first either

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/07 at 12:43 pm

Conn. accents aren't so bad-but the closer you get to Boston and Maine, they get worse. But there may be a little NY influence in Conn.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/02/07 at 1:36 pm

There are roundabouts here in Illinois as well. Not that many admittedly.. and American drivers are by and far so bad that I doubt they'll catch on, but they'd be useful. It costs about a tenth as much as an overpass to install and they're so much better than 4 way junctions, keeps the traffic flowing, you just need a brain to navigate one.  ;D

I've been coming across a few roundabouts lately. Just went through one the other day near Fairfield. They're kinda funny. People who don't know how to use them just sit in their car and wait for people to clear. It's funny! We do have one here in Concord, too. (at least only one that I've come across) I find them rather fun!

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/07 at 2:08 pm

I've been coming across a few roundabouts lately. Just went through one the other day near Fairfield. They're kinda funny. People who don't know how to use them just sit in their car and wait for people to clear. It's funny! We do have one here in Concord, too. (at least only one that I've come across) I find them rather fun!

I suffer from the most awful road rage on roundabouts here.

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence can work them out, they're exceptionally bloody simple so I end up in fits of rage when retards just sit there like gormless sodding twats.

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 3:17 am

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence can work them out, they're exceptionally bloody simple so I end up in fits of rage when retards just sit there like gormless sodding twats.

This sounds excellent.  Do they have mini roundabouts as well?

I did vaguely ask about traffic light sequence but I'm not sure anyone noticed.  Is there an amber light or just red to green?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/03/07 at 5:04 am

This sounds excellent.  Do they have mini roundabouts as well?

I did vaguely ask about traffic light sequence but I'm not sure anyone noticed.  Is there an amber light or just red to green?

There are red, amber, and green.
Over here, it goes green- bottom, then amber- middle, and red- top.
Green, then amber, then red. That's yer sequence.

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 5:26 am

There are red, amber, and green.
Over here, it goes green- bottom, then amber- middle, and red- top.
Green, then amber, then red. That's yer sequence.

What about after red, do you have the red and amber together "get ready for green" like here or is it red then straight to green like in Europe?

Written By: La Roche on 07/03/07 at 11:11 pm

What about after red, do you have the red and amber together "get ready for green" like here or is it red then straight to green like in Europe?

The lights are usually the same as in Europe. The traffic laws are far more relaxed and speed cameras are still almost unheard of in most states, it's not the Prescott Traffic-tatorship.

One thing you have to remember, seeing as you'll be living in Connecticut, one of the smallest states in the union, surrounded by several other very small states.. is each state is essentially it's own country, think of the U.S as Europe, different laws when you cross a border.. just the same language.. in a.. vague sort of sense.

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 3:54 am

The lights are usually the same as in Europe.

That's what I thought.  I wasn't paying that much attention when we were in Florida but this time I'll be driving.  :o

The traffic laws are far more relaxed and speed cameras are still almost unheard of in most states, it's not the Prescott Traffic-tatorship.

Hmm but I thought the speed limits were lower than here so I assumed enforcement would be tighter.

One thing you have to remember, seeing as you'll be living in Connecticut, one of the smallest states in the union, surrounded by several other very small states.. is each state is essentially it's own country, think of the U.S as Europe, different laws when you cross a border.. just the same language.. in a.. vague sort of sense.

I know that.  I haven't read Bill Bryson for nothing you know!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/07 at 4:47 am

I know this is waaay late, but you should look at the local YMCA for their programs.  You will probably find one with all the updates.  Where I live there is a nice new one with 2 swimming pools, up to date excersize room, a track, basketball court, and all sorts of classes and programs for adults and children. 

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 5:25 am

I know this is waaay late, but you should look at the local YMCA for their programs.  You will probably find one with all the updates.  Where I live there is a nice new one with 2 swimming pools, up to date excersize room, a track, basketball court, and all sorts of classes and programs for adults and children. 

Thanks for that.  Its still useful stuff to have.  We are still arguing some of the 'lifestyle' payment side of things.  I'll look into the YMCA.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 12:21 pm

Just remember that red means stop, green means go, and yellow (amber) means go very fast.  :D ;D ;D ;D

J/K but there are many people who will step on it when the light is yellow.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/07 at 5:44 pm

That's what I thought.  I wasn't paying that much attention when we were in Florida but this time I'll be driving.  :o

Hmm but I thought the speed limits were lower than here so I assumed enforcement would be tighter.

I know that.  I haven't read Bill Bryson for nothing you know!  ;)

The speed limits in town are enforced, but you've got to be unlucky to get pulled over on the highway unless you're doing about 100. I usually run around 75-85 and keep up with traffic, nobody obeys the speed limit because in most states it's set so ridiculously low.

For instance, in Missouri, a state that you could fit the whole of the UK in to.. the speed limit is 60mph.
See how retarded that is, if you drove the limit, you'd die before you crossed it.

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 8:47 am

what is the weather doing in Conn. at the moment?  We fly out on Sunday for about a week and I want to know what to pack!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/26/07 at 9:11 am

what is the weather doing in Conn. at the moment?  We fly out on Sunday for about a week and I want to know what to pack!

http://www.ctweather.com/

Written By: joedeertae on 07/26/07 at 9:40 am

http://tinyurl.com/yodl7o

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/26/07 at 10:51 am

Whoa there!  :o

I just found this thread and need to inform you that we Connecticut people are known for having the clearest, most newscaster-esque American English voices around!!! 8)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/26/07 at 10:53 am

Conn. accents aren't so bad-but the closer you get to Boston and Maine, they get worse. But there may be a little NY influence in Conn.

Cat

In Western CT where I grew up, we're somewhat more nasal than the rest of CT, undoubtedly the NY influence.  But yeah, CT as a whole does not have the "New Englad" accent you'd find further north.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/26/07 at 10:54 am

Those things are damned impossible to understand...sorry.  I'd be one of the gormless sodding twats.  ;D ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/07 at 10:57 am

The sun has been hot as of late, better bring the sunscreen, and the bathing suits, I am sure you will want to find a place to take a full body dip.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/07 at 11:27 am

In Western CT where I grew up, we're somewhat more nasal than the rest of CT, undoubtedly the NY influence.  But yeah, CT as a whole does not have the "New Englad" accent you'd find further north.

My sisters live close to New Haven, and one of my sisters definitely has a New Yowk accent-but we grew up in Upstate NY. The thing is, she is close enough to New Yowk NOT to lose any that accent  (Like I have and a few other of my sisters).

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/26/07 at 1:07 pm

Those things are damned impossible to understand...sorry.  I'd be one of the gormless sodding twats.  ;D ;D

Just put your foot down and close your eyes, kind of like when the railway crossing has no barriers.  ;D

Written By: karen on 07/27/07 at 3:53 am

Whoa there!   :o

I just found this thread and need to inform you that we Connecticut people are known for having the clearest, most newscaster-esque American English voices around!!! 8)

Oh dear, perhaps they won't be able to understand me then!

Written By: karen on 08/25/07 at 8:12 pm

What is the difference between baseball and softball?

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 8:19 pm

What is the difference between baseball and softball?

In softball, the diamond played on is smaller than a regular sized baseball diamond.  The softball is larger in size than a baseball and the bat is bigger than a regular baseball bat

Written By: karen on 08/25/07 at 8:27 pm

In softball, the diamond played on is smaller than a regular sized baseball diamond.  The softball is larger in size than a baseball and the bat is bigger than a regular baseball bat

And that's it?

Is one more likely to be played by girls?

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 8:55 pm

And that's it?

Not sure about more likely, but when I was in High School, it seemed like all the girls played Softball

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/07 at 2:46 am

And that's it?

The ball is thrown underhanded, it is seen as a girl sport, but a lot of guys play it.  The pitching seems to me to be a lot faster than baseball, but I don't think they have the variety of pitches.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/07 at 3:08 am

And that's it?

How To Differentiate Between Baseball and Softball

http://www.howtodothings.com/sports-and-recreation/a4418-how-to-differentiate-between-baseball-and-softball.html

Subject: Re: I'm asking about stuff now I've moved to the States

Written By: karen on 08/27/07 at 10:19 am

This will probably sound like a dumb question!

The washing machine I have is a top loader.  I've only used a front loader at home where you put the powder in a little drawer.  Do I add the washing powder/liquid before the water goes in, during the fill or when it has filled up? 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 10:24 am

The washing machine I have is a top loader.  I've only used a front loader at home where you put the powder in a little drawer.  Do I add the washing powder/liquid before the water goes in, during the fill or when it has filled up? 

I always put my detergent in first...then let it fill up about halfway with sudsy water, then I put my laundry in.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/27/07 at 11:08 am

I don't think it really matters if you're using liquid but sometimes the powder clumps if you add it on top of the clothes.

When I had a top loader, I would start the machine, then add the liquid or the powder.  I'd also let it fill 1/2 way then add the clothes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/07 at 2:49 pm

I start it first, put the soap in and then the clothes. BTW, I ALWAYS use liquid-hate power with a passion, but that is me.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 08/27/07 at 2:53 pm

Dump the clothes in, dump the detergent in, hit start.

Written By: karen on 08/27/07 at 3:30 pm

Thanks guys.  I have to confess I was using the Davey approach at first and then began to wonder if I was doing it right.

Written By: La Roche on 08/27/07 at 5:55 pm

Thanks guys.  I have to confess I was using the Davey approach at first and then began to wonder if I was doing it right.

Nothin' to it.

Don't you prefer the top loaders? I do.

Written By: karen on 08/31/07 at 8:33 am

Nothin' to it.

Don't you prefer the top loaders? I do.

Not sure yet, still getting used to it.

Next dumb question!

Is it true that if you put mail to be posted in your own mailbox and put up the little flag the mailman will collect it and post it for you?

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/31/07 at 9:16 am

Next dumb question!

Is it true that if you put mail to be posted in your own mailbox and put up the little flag the mailman will collect it and post it for you?

My mail-woman will put stamps on my mail if I put money in an envelope to cover the cost of stamps. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/31/07 at 9:17 am

Next dumb question!

If you have a stamp on it yes.  I think that you can even pay and print out your own legal postage stamps online as well and/or have the postman deliver stamps to you, I will have to look around on the http://www.usps.gov to see what services are available.  Now, if it is an international post, I'm not entirely sure they would take it (you need to make sure you have the correct amount of postage on it.)  Whenever I mailed international, I always made a special trip into the post office.

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/07 at 1:14 pm

Next dumb question!

Yup, as long as it has the correct postage amount on it. I don't know about where you live, but try leaving money in your mailbox here and it'll be gone before you can scratch your ass.

Written By: karen on 08/31/07 at 10:08 pm

Yup, as long as it has the correct postage amount on it. I don't know about where you live, but try leaving money in your mailbox here and it'll be gone before you can scratch your ass.

I reckon it would be ok here.  A colleague of Dai's was amazed that their landlord had to search for a set of keys for the doors for them - he reckoned he hadn't locked the door for years!

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/07 at 10:53 pm

I reckon it would be ok here.  A colleague of Dai's was amazed that their landlord had to search for a set of keys for the doors for them - he reckoned he hadn't locked the door for years!

You're out in the hills then?

Written By: karen on 08/31/07 at 11:00 pm

You're out in the hills then?

Not exactly, just a nice small town.  Population of about 33,000.  (wiki article)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/07 at 11:49 am

We don't normally lock our doors-unless we are going away.

As for the mail, as everyone has already told you, that they will pick it up. We have a small box attached to the house on our porch. Since we don't have a flag on our box, there is a clothes pin on the outside that we put outgoing mail on. If you walk down our street, you will see other people have clothes pins on their mailboxes also.

Just out of curiosity, the mailman doesn't pick up outgoing mail in the U.K.?

Cat

Written By: Gis on 09/01/07 at 3:22 pm

We don't normally lock our doors-unless we are going away.

As for the mail, as everyone has already told you, that they will pick it up. We have a small box attached to the house on our porch. Since we don't have a flag on our box, there is a clothes pin on the outside that we put outgoing mail on. If you walk down our street, you will see other people have clothes pins on their mailboxes also.

Cat
Definatly not, they barely deliver it in this country let alone pick it up!  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/07 at 4:25 pm

Definatly not, they barely deliver it in this country let alone pick it up!  ::)

They usually only pick up in areas where they don't have corner mailboxes and the postman uses a postal truck to deliver the mail.  Getting the right mail to the right address is a challenge to most.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/07 at 12:26 am

Not exactly, just a nice small town.  Population of about 33,000.  (wiki article)

Suberb of Hartford then. Ok, my Uncle used to live in New Haven, that's all I've done in Connecticut, we went to places, but mainly around New York, I have no time for New England as a whole, full of morons staring at leaves changing color.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/07 at 5:05 am

Suberb of Hartford then. Ok, my Uncle used to live in New Haven, that's all I've done in Connecticut, we went to places, but mainly around New York, I have no time for New England as a whole, full of morons staring at leaves changing color.  ;D

oooooh man,  That would be me  ::)  I love New England and spent yesterday up in Lowell taking in the Kerouac scroll.  We just can't seem to agree on much can we  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/07 at 12:28 pm

oooooh man,  That would be me  ::)  I love New England and spent yesterday up in Lowell taking in the Kerouac scroll.  We just can't seem to agree on much can we  ;D

;D

I looked around.. I really didn't get the whole appeal. Maybe because I'm from the original England.. and actually grew up with trees.. and little villages and old buildings, I don't know, that seems to be the appeal of New England to the rest of the U.S and I guess because I grew up with it.. except ya know, even older.. it just isn't a big deal to me.

See, I dunno if you'd include Connecticut as New England, I really liked Connecticut and Rhode Island.. I really couldn't care less about Massachusetts.. especially Boston, it was like.. oh right, this is Boston, fair enough.

Of course, my bro Pete loves Boston.. quite literally refuses to go anywhere else, so I guess different strokes for different folks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/07 at 4:55 pm

You should try NORTHERN New England. New Haven really sucks the big one. I used to live in "Waste" Haven. One of my sisters still live there. I really hate going down to that area.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/07 at 6:05 pm

See, I dunno if you'd include Connecticut as New England, I really liked Connecticut and Rhode Island.. I really couldn't care less about Massachusetts.. especially Boston, it was like.. oh right, this is Boston, fair enough.

New England is Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.  Depends on where in Boston you went.  I could see you having a lost weekend in Southie- a long long lost weekend  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/02/07 at 8:19 pm

;D

I looked around.. I really didn't get the whole appeal. Maybe because I'm from the original England.. and actually grew up with trees.. and little villages and old buildings, I don't know, that seems to be the appeal of New England to the rest of the U.S and I guess because I grew up with it.. except ya know, even older.. it just isn't a big deal to me.

Maybe that's why I like it!

Cat

As Gis says, they don't collect our mail here.  But then they do actually put it through our door rather than leaving it in a little box at the end of the driveway!  Also you don't have to go far to find a post box to drop it in. Back home I had two within about three minutes walking distance.

Written By: La Roche on 09/03/07 at 1:19 am

You should try NORTHERN New England. New Haven really sucks the big one. I used to live in "Waste" Haven. One of my sisters still live there. I really hate going down to that area.

Cat

Oh, I will.. eventually. Out of sheer curiosity more than anything.

Maybe that's why I like it!

I suppose...

New England is Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.  Depends on where in Boston you went.  I could see you having a lost weekend in Southie- a long long lost weekend  ;D

;D

Actually, the one time I went to Boston I met up with a friend of Pete's Father who was a professor at Harvard, he took me out for lunch and showed me around.. don't get me wrong, it's not like I thought Boston was a s**t hole, I just didn't get the appeal.. for a town where so much has happened everything seemed very very anytown; USA, which I suppose is what everything is like now.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/07 at 5:25 am

Actually, the one time I went to Boston I met up with a friend of Pete's Father who was a professor at Harvard, he took me out for lunch and showed me around.. don't get me wrong, it's not like I thought Boston was a s**t hole, I just didn't get the appeal.. for a town where so much has happened everything seemed very very anytown; USA, which I suppose is what everything is like now.

Oh, now I understand.  Forget the Harvard crowd or any extension thereof.  No doubt you received the lukewarm vanilla pudding version, There is a whole lot more to this place than the Harvard crowd sees. or even wants to know about(or knows about but doesn't want you to know that they know about). Too bad the professor wasn't ex-professor Timothy Leary, now that would have been a...trip  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 09/03/07 at 10:44 am

Oh, now I understand.  Forget the Harvard crowd or any extension thereof.  No doubt you received the lukewarm vanilla pudding version, There is a whole lot more to this place than the Harvard crowd sees. or even wants to know about(or knows about but doesn't want you to know that they know about). Too bad the professor wasn't ex-professor Timothy Leary, now that would have been a...trip  ::)

;D

I'm sure it's like any city, you see what you want to.

I could show people around St. Louis and they'd think it was lovely...

Then I could show them around St. Louis.. and they'd s**t themselves.  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/06/07 at 9:19 am

Next question.

Who should I always tip, who might I tip (if they gave extra good service for example) and who should I never offer a tip to?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/06/07 at 9:29 am

Next question.

Who should I always tip, who might I tip (if they gave extra good service for example) and who should I never offer a tip to?

Well, some people seem to tip everyone they come in contact with...personally, I don't have the money to do that. I always tip my waiter/waitress at least 15-20% when I eat at a restaurant. I tip my hairdresser, usually like $5 or so, because I only get a haircut there...I color my own hair at home. 

Written By: La Roche on 09/06/07 at 3:29 pm

Next question.

Hahaha, I can't help but laugh.

Everyone is so stingy in England, no wonder the service is often crap.

I tip waiters, barbers, mechanics etc.

Basically, when somebody goes out of their way to do something for me personally then I'll tip them.

Written By: Henk on 09/06/07 at 4:15 pm

You could ship it but that could get expensive. My sister-in-law bought a BMW when she was living in L.A. When she moved to Puerto Rico, she didn't want to sell it so she had it shipped. I don't know how much that cost her.

Cat

A bit late, I know...But wouldn't the steering wheel be on the "wrong" side of the car? ??? Might cause confusion...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/07 at 5:57 pm

Basically, when somebody goes out of their way to do something for me personally then I'll tip them.

Mechanic?! No way!!!  That's the first time I heard that one.

Waiters/Waitresses
Hairdresser
Newpaper Delivery

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/07 at 6:04 pm

A bit late, I know...But wouldn't the steering wheel be on the "wrong" side of the car? ??? Might cause confusion...

I have seen cars here with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side. It can be done but yeah, it would be a bit confusing. (As for my SIL, they drive on the same side of the road as we do so there isn't any confusion.)

Next question.

As some people have already said:

Waiters/waitresses
Bartenders
Hair dressers
Pizza delivery

We usually give a little something to our mail lady at Christmastime. We haven't done anything for our paper person because they really sucked. Now we have a new one who is good so we may give her something this Christmas.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 09/06/07 at 6:13 pm

Mechanic?! No way!!!  That's the first time I heard that one.

Waiters/Waitresses
Hairdresser
Newpaper Delivery

I have a great mechanic.

He's a friend of mine and I often do some work with him.

I'll generally pick up something for him as a tip, but I would do the same thing for a regular mechanic I didn't know.. if he did a good job and didn't f**k me in the ass.

Written By: karen on 09/07/07 at 8:50 am

See I think you've got that arse about face.  I always tip if I get good service.  Why should I give them something just for doing their job?

I wasn't sure about people like bag packers.

Written By: La Roche on 09/07/07 at 10:09 am

See I think you've got that arse about face.  I always tip if I get good service.  Why should I give them something just for doing their job?

You're one of the few.

In most service industries people get s**t pay. Really s**t. Tipping is supplemental wages. That's the difference, in England a spooty 16 year old might be waiter and will basically make minimum wage and maybe 15-20 quid a night in tips. Here in the U.S or in France, a 30 year old bloke might be a waiter and will make minimum wage.. and if he works at a decent restaurant could quite easily pull down $100-150 or more in tips every night. All of a sudden he's gone from earing s**t money to earning a pretty decent wage.
It's all about the level of service.

For instance.. and next time you go back home you'll agree with me.

Walk in to a restaurant here.. you'll have somebody attend to your every whim, they'll be running around re-filling your drinks, making sure everything is alright, procuring anything additional you'd like and so on..
Now, go to a restaurant of a similar standard in England.. you'll probably be pointed to a table, be overcharged for a tiny little drink and then you might see your waiter twice in the next hour.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/07/07 at 4:56 pm

no, unless they carry it out to the car

Written By: karen on 09/08/07 at 9:37 pm

Walk in to a restaurant here.. you'll have somebody attend to your every whim, they'll be running around re-filling your drinks, making sure everything is alright, procuring anything additional you'd like and so on..

Annoy the hell out of you by asking every five minutes if you have everything you need, is the meal alright, do you need a refill on the drinks etc.!  I like to be asked when the food is served if I need anything else and for them to check once if the food is o.k.  They should be around but not butting in in my opinion.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/07 at 9:22 am

Annoy the hell out of you by asking every five minutes if you have everything you need, is the meal alright, do you need a refill on the drinks etc.!  I like to be asked when the food is served if I need anything else and for them to check once if the food is o.k.  They should be around but not butting in in my opinion.

It tends to be one thing or the other.  Either it is too much and you wish they would just let you eat, then, when it is time to pay and get out you have to light off fireworks to get their attention.  Or you order something and it doesn't come and they tell you that you didn't order it!  Remember that it is ok to scale your tip to the service you have received.  The standard is 15%.  I tend to be a big tipper, but have been know to show my displeasure with an obviously insulting penny(face down).

Written By: La Roche on 09/09/07 at 9:46 am

I suppose that's because you're used to the service level you get in restaurants in England, not trying to be funny by the way.. just in my experience, because tipping isn't a big thing, the service is crap, no incentive to work hard.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/07 at 2:53 pm

I suppose that's because you're used to the service level you get in restaurants in England, not trying to be funny by the way.. just in my experience, because tipping isn't a big thing, the service is crap, no incentive to work hard.

There's a difference between working hard and providing good service.  Someone coming over to you and interrupting your meal isn't doing their job, unless it is to annoy the heck out of you so that you won't come back.

Written By: La Roche on 09/09/07 at 3:00 pm

There's a difference between working hard and providing good service.  Someone coming over to you and interrupting your meal isn't doing their job, unless it is to annoy the heck out of you so that you won't come back.

Fair point.

.. and that rarely happens. But in a resteraunt, I want to be able to get whatever I want, when I want it.. and thus, a good gratuitory.

Written By: karen on 09/26/07 at 11:48 am

What is the "Do Not Call" number?  I've only had the phone since Friday and I'm already sick of the interruptions!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/07 at 5:56 pm

What is the "Do Not Call" number?  I've only had the phone since Friday and I'm already sick of the interruptions!

www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/26/07 at 5:59 pm

I know this isn't high on the list of things to worry about while in the states...but...the final season of Life on Mars doesn't start until January on BBC America (if you're cable system even carries that channel).  Just thought I'd pass along the information, because I think you once mentioned Dai liked that program too (as do I).  Although he might have already seen the season, 'cause I'm sure they started showing it in the UK by now.

Written By: karen on 09/29/07 at 9:13 am

www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/

Thanks - I've registered our phone.

Written By: karen on 09/29/07 at 9:16 am

I know this isn't high on the list of things to worry about while in the states...but...the final season of Life on Mars doesn't start until January on BBC America (if you're cable system even carries that channel).  Just thought I'd pass along the information, because I think you once mentioned Dai liked that program too (as do I).  Although he might have already seen the season, 'cause I'm sure they started showing it in the UK by now.

The whole of the last season was transmitted a while back in the Uk although I wouldn't mind watching it again.  Not sure if we will be able to watch it though - Dai has decided that Netflix is cheaper than cable/satellite so we're currently putting up with about 4 patchy channels we get through the aerial  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/07 at 9:18 am

The whole of the last season was transmitted a while back in the Uk although I wouldn't mind watching it again.  Not sure if we will be able to watch it though - Dai has decided that Netflix is cheaper than cable/satellite so we're currently putting up with about 4 patchy channels we get through the aerial  ::)

Personally, I am with him.  I still haven't gotten cable, though I do get about 7 channels, not always at the same time.

Written By: karen on 09/29/07 at 9:25 am

Personally, I am with him.  I still haven't gotten cable, though I do get about 7 channels, not always at the same time.

Hmm at first I agreed with him (non-stop SpongeBob Squarepants does that to you  ;D ) but now I'm having second thoughts.  The one children's channel we get is very stop start and full of interference and I got frustrated the other night when I was trying to watch Gray's Anatomy - I missed several important lines  >:(

Someone mentioned that we might be able to get some 'free to air' cable channels just by plugging the cable from the socket to the TV so we might give that a try over the weekend.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/07 at 2:48 pm

Thanks - I've registered our phone.

If you have a cell, you might want to register that, too.

We did away with cable when we got our dish. We were getting premium channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, etc. etc) but we realized that we hardly watched them. We decided why pay for it if we weren't using them. We did away with the premium channels and get our movies through Netflix. We still have the dish so we can watch the channels we love (CNN, BBC American, History, etc. etc.) and we get to watch the Red Sox on NESN.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/07 at 6:12 pm

Hmm at first I agreed with him (non-stop SpongeBob Squarepants does that to you  ;D ) but now I'm having second thoughts.  The one children's channel we get is very stop start and full of interference and I got frustrated the other night when I was trying to watch Gray's Anatomy - I missed several important lines  >:(

Someone mentioned that we might be able to get some 'free to air' cable channels just by plugging the cable from the socket to the TV so we might give that a try over the weekend.

I do that, the line acts as an antenna and helps with reception. If you have a splitter you can run it to an indoor antenna, then to the television.

Written By: karen on 10/04/07 at 8:13 am

Has anyone got a waste disposal unit in their sink?  What sort of stuff can you put down it and what shouldn't you put down it?  I'd experiment but I'm afraid of breaking it!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/07 at 8:31 am

Has anyone got a waste disposal unit in their sink?  What sort of stuff can you put down it and what shouldn't you put down it?  I'd experiment but I'm afraid of breaking it!

A garbage disposal?  It is basically for the stuff that usually collects in the little drain basket and other small bits of things like leftover choppings from your vegetables.  Nothing hard like bits of bone from meat.  Always have the cold water running when you use it.

Written By: La Roche on 10/04/07 at 12:13 pm

Yeah, I've broken one before.

Rule of thumb is - If it's bigger than my wrist it wont go down.

Anything smaller is fair game.

Written By: karen on 10/04/07 at 10:19 pm

Next random question.

How much does a stick of butter weigh?

When it says a tablespoon of butter is that level?

Why can't recipes just say 8 ounces or whatever instead of cups, spoons or sticks?

Written By: La Roche on 10/04/07 at 10:21 pm

The same as a stick of lead, it's just it's mass that is different.  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/07 at 4:23 am

Next random question.

When it says a tablespoon of butter is that level?

Why can't recipes just say 8 ounces or whatever instead of cups, spoons or sticks?

One stick=1/4 pound=4ounces. If you buy butter by the stick a whole box is one pound.  Also if you don't want to buy a whole pound of butter it is perfectly legal and very acceptable to open the box and just buy one stick.  I do it just to keep the tradition alive.  People seem to be getting reluctant to do that, I would like to start a "one stick at a time" movement.

Yes, one a recipe gives amounts it is level unless it says "heaping"

Most people don't have scales or weights to measure, but you can buy measuring cups and spoons everywhere, it is much easier that way.

Written By: karen on 10/05/07 at 7:53 am

Most people don't have scales or weights to measure, but you can buy measuring cups and spoons everywhere, it is much easier that way.

I have measuring cups (although I'm slightly worried they're bigger than most I've seen).

It just seems a weird way to measure things.  In particular there's a recipe I want to try which asks for one stick and five tablespoons of butter.  Since it looked to me like a stick was a lot less than 5 table spoons I wondered why they didn't say 3 sticks and a tablespoon.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/07 at 9:59 am

I have measuring cups (although I'm slightly worried they're bigger than most I've seen).

It just seems a weird way to measure things.  In particular there's a recipe I want to try which asks for one stick and five tablespoons of butter.  Since it looked to me like a stick was a lot less than 5 table spoons I wondered why they didn't say 3 sticks and a tablespoon.  :-\\

Turn the stick over in the wrapper. The paper around the sticks is marked off in tablespoons.  There are 8 tablespoons to a stick.  Three sticks and a tablespoon is be 25 tablespoons.  One stick and 5 tablespoons is 13 tablespoons.  How did that recipe turn out?

Written By: karen on 10/05/07 at 12:19 pm

Turn the stick over in the wrapper. The paper around the sticks is marked off in tablespoons.  There are 8 tablespoons to a stick.  Three sticks and a tablespoon is be 25 tablespoons.  One stick and 5 tablespoons is 13 tablespoons.  How did that recipe turn out?

I haven't tried it yet, that's why I wanted to check the amounts!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/07 at 12:21 pm

I haven't tried it yet, that's why I wanted to check the amounts!

What is the recipe?  Let us know how it comes out.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/05/07 at 4:21 pm

A garbage disposal?  It is basically for the stuff that usually collects in the little drain basket and other small bits of things like leftover choppings from your vegetables.  Nothing hard like bits of bone from meat.  Always have the cold water running when you use it.

Yes, and don't put a lot of heavy lards or greasy things down it. I've heard that's also not good. And always run water while it's running, as Danoota said.

Written By: karen on 10/16/07 at 8:24 am

food I am missing.

Does any know if I can buy these items anywhere?

custard powder
fruit squash (like a cordial)
pudding rice

Written By: La Roche on 10/16/07 at 3:41 pm

food I am missing.

custard powder
pudding rice

Do you have a Global Market or Global Foods nearby?

Google them and see if they have any near your zipcode.

Written By: karen on 10/16/07 at 9:46 pm

Do you have a Global Market or Global Foods nearby?

Google them and see if they have any near your zipcode.

"Global Market" is not a good phrase to google.  You get a bajillion hits - none of which are relevant.  Somehow another similar search I did managed to find a huge list ofUS-based British Food Suppliers.  No idea of the prices though.

Next random question.  How do I re-order checks?  I can't tell if I just post the form back or need to ring them with the reorder form handy to supply some magic code or what.  In the UK new books just arrive automatically.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/07 at 5:16 pm

"Global Market" is not a good phrase to google.  You get a bajillion hits - none of which are relevant.  Somehow another similar search I did managed to find a huge list ofUS-based British Food Suppliers.  No idea of the prices though.

Next random question.  How do I re-order checks?  I can't tell if I just post the form back or need to ring them with the reorder form handy to supply some magic code or what.  In the UK new books just arrive automatically.

Usually there is a form on the last or second to last book. If your checks are the same as the old ones (i.e. the address and such), you can just send in the form. Some check suppliers also have a website. The last time I ordered checks, I did it on-line. Much easier if you ask me. That way you get to see how your checks are going to look BEFORE you get them.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/05/07 at 2:12 pm

Has anyone here heard of or used Horizon Foods?  I just had their rep call at my door.  They do various frozen meat products - free-range, hormone free yaddah, yaddah.  Anyway it looked nice but struck me as expensive per item.  I'd be interested to know what others here think.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/05/07 at 3:13 pm

The are prepared meals that are expensive.  I think you have to sign up for a certain amount, and you end up getting more than you want.  Best to stick to the supermarket

Never heard of pudding rice, though we do have rice pudding, I just make it with Uncle Bens White Rice.  I don't know if there is a difference.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/07 at 2:14 pm

food I am missing.

custard powder
pudding rice

Cost Plus World Market has some interesting "World" foods that you may find. I believe they are all over the country, so maybe check their website and see where the nearest one is. Also, sometimes you can find some independent markets that sale a bigger variety. Another chain that's come to thought is Trader Joes - they have some very unique choices, too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/07 at 2:22 pm

I found that there are no Cost Plus World Markets past Virginia. Too bad, they've got some neat stuff!  :(

But, don't fear, as there are 2 Trader Joes in Connecticut, one in Danbury and Darien. I hope this helps!  :)

Written By: karen on 01/11/08 at 5:54 pm

More stuff that I've been wondering about.

When someone has a job title of para... what does it mean?  For example paralegal or the office staff at school are parasomethings.  :-\\

Does "stop at line on red light" mean the same as "no right turn on red"?

Has anyone heard of using cat's eyes in the middle of the road?  Strikes me they'd be useful, around here at least.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/08 at 6:24 pm

When someone has a job title of para... what does it mean?  For example paralegal or the office staff at school are parasomethings.  :-\\

Has anyone heard of using cat's eyes in the middle of the road?  Strikes me they'd be useful, around here at least.

1. Para is a latin term meaning "similar to" or "near to." Paralegals work under the supervision of a lawyer (attorney).

2. I believe it means exactly what it's stated as. Most of the time, they do not like people to pass the line when stopped at a red light. There's a good reason for the line being there, not just for no turns on red lights. There is usually a sign that says "No Turn on Red Light."

3. Now you've got me stumped, but what are cat's eyes? Are these what you'd call a round-a-bout?

Written By: Davester on 01/11/08 at 6:30 pm

Are you talking about the small reflectors..?

I've noticed some states have them, some don't.  California has 'em and they are helpful while driving in inclement weather...

Written By: karen on 01/11/08 at 6:52 pm

Are you talking about the small reflectors..?

I've noticed some states have them, some don't.  California has 'em and they are helpful while driving in inclement weather...

Similar to small reflectors.

Actually I think I've found a partial answer on this wiki page.  Locally we get a lot of snowfall and the US design of small road reflector is damaged by snow ploughs.

Written By: karen on 01/16/08 at 1:41 pm

Can anyone reccomend a good brand of saucepan?  One of mine broke last week - the handle fell off. 

They don't make anything to last do they; I'd only had these fifteen years

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/08 at 1:48 pm

Can anyone reccomend a good brand of saucepan?  One of mine broke last week - the handle fell off. 

Wearever used to be good but I don't know if they are making their pots & pan in China now. I tried to do a little research but I can't find anything.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/08 at 10:28 pm

T-Fal is pretty good. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/16/08 at 10:39 pm

Here is a review page you might look into:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All/search_string_~Sauce%20Pans?_redir_att_abrtd_=1

I know some people like T-fal brand, but my saucepan's teflon started to peel and gouge (apparently they don't like to be put in dishwashers  :\'( oops  :o )  

I went to Wal-Mart got a very very cheap saucepan (although there only seems to be one size - 3 quart and good luck in finding a lid for it as it does not come with one and since it was only 5 dollars, they aren't a heavy sauce pan.  BUT having said that, in my opinion they are really good!  I went back later and bought 3 more.  Unfortunately I can't tell you what brand they are right now, I went to look and there is no markings as to what brand is on the pan.  The pan isn't on walmart.com either.  :(  The handle seems fairly sturdy, although if you'd hit the hubby over the head with the sauce pan, I can't guarantee the handle will not come off.   ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/08 at 6:17 am

I am not a big fan of nonstick.  Let's face it eventually they wear and that ends up in our stomachs.  I stick to stainless steel(copper bottom) or cast iron(which is most of mine).  Revereware is good

Written By: karen on 01/18/08 at 7:25 am

I am not a big fan of nonstick.  Let's face it eventually they wear and that ends up in our stomachs.  I stick to stainless steel(copper bottom) or cast iron(which is most of mine).  Revereware is good

Actually perhaps I should have said that I prefer stainless steel as well.  Also I stick everything in the dishwasher if I possibly can!

Thanks everyone.  I'll check out that website from bookmistress before I hit the shops.

Written By: gemini on 01/23/08 at 8:14 pm

Reverewear is great. My mom has had hers for as long as I can remember, and I'm 46. It lasts forever and looks great too.

Written By: karen on 01/23/08 at 9:11 pm

Reverewear is great. My mom has had hers for as long as I can remember, and I'm 46. It lasts forever and looks great too.

I'll perhaps do a search for some of that then.

My next question is

Can someone explain the various movie ratings?  We use a slightly different system in the UK and I don't want to take my children to something inappropriate.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/08 at 11:15 pm

I'll perhaps do a search for some of that then.

My next question is

Can someone explain the various movie ratings?  We use a slightly different system in the UK and I don't want to take my children to something inappropriate.

here's a link to the movie ratings:

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

Written By: karen on 01/24/08 at 7:23 am

Thanks Quirk.  It was the PG-13 rating in particular I wanted to check.  Elizabeth was asking to go and see some film with this rating.  She's only 9 so I wasn't sure what the 13 part meant.

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/08 at 7:28 am

Thanks Quirk.  It was the PG-13 rating in particular I wanted to check.  Elizabeth was asking to go and see some film with this rating.  She's only 9 so I wasn't sure what the 13 part meant.

It's like 12A.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/08 at 7:31 am

no problem :)

Written By: karen on 01/24/08 at 8:53 am

It's like 12A.

Hmm.  Sounds like I need to check out the particular film to find out what the potentially unsuitable things might be.  Some 12A films are o.k.  - just fantasy violence type stuff - others I wouldn't want her to watch.  :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/08 at 12:28 pm

Hmm.  Sounds like I need to check out the particular film to find out what the potentially unsuitable things might be.  Some 12A films are o.k.  - just fantasy violence type stuff - others I wouldn't want her to watch.  :-\\

PG-13 you might get some coarse language, maybe some pretty cool fights but nothing that should really shock her, I don't believe she's of a particularly sensitive disposition is she. The language might be an issue, they won't be dropping f-bombs, but other stuff flies.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/08 at 5:59 pm

Here ya go Karen. This is a website where you can look up particular movies and it will give you a play by play of what the film includes. Hope it helps. :)

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

Written By: karen on 03/04/08 at 1:41 pm

My children keep bringing home letters from school about various 'spirit days'.  The last one was pink and red spirit day for valentines day.

Are they supposed to dress up or something?  No one has mentioned anything but I wondered if we were missing out

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/08 at 3:34 pm

My children keep bringing home letters from school about various 'spirit days'.  The last one was pink and red spirit day for valentines day.

Are they supposed to dress up or something?  No one has mentioned anything but I wondered if we were missing out

Usually when there is a "spirit day" the school will tell you what is supposed to be done. I remember when I was in school and we would have "spirit week" and each day had a different theme-one day was to dress in the school colors, another was to a western day or something like that. You may want to call the school and ask them specifically what to do.

Cat

Written By: karen on 03/04/08 at 6:54 pm

Usually when there is a "spirit day" the school will tell you what is supposed to be done. I remember when I was in school and we would have "spirit week" and each day had a different theme-one day was to dress in the school colors, another was to a western day or something like that. You may want to call the school and ask them specifically what to do.

Cat

I just wish that they could send out this information when they write the letter telling us that it will be a spirit day.  How much harder is it to add "wear red or pink to school that day" or whatever?

I already had a 'go' at the PTO committee for not explaining sufficiently about various events in their letters.  In a school which has a new intake every year you can't say "we will do this event the same as last year"  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/08 at 5:19 pm

I just wish that they could send out this information when they write the letter telling us that it will be a spirit day.  How much harder is it to add "wear red or pink to school that day" or whatever?

I already had a 'go' at the PTO committee for not explaining sufficiently about various events in their letters.  In a school which has a new intake every year you can't say "we will do this event the same as last year"  >:(

Some of those parent/teacher groups can be very snobbish-I'm not saying ALL but some. Thus the song "Harper Valley PTA"

Cat

Written By: karen on 03/05/08 at 8:33 pm

Someone from the school must be reading this thread.  I had a letter yesterday about the next three or four spirit days and it tells me what to do!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/08 at 2:57 pm

Someone from the school must be reading this thread.  I had a letter yesterday about the next three or four spirit days and it tells me what to do!

It could also be that they didn't get much participation for the past spirit days that they figured they should get the word out.

Cat

Written By: karen on 03/07/08 at 7:48 pm

It could also be that they didn't get much participation for the past spirit days that they figured they should get the word out.

Cat

You are probably right.  I wish I was right though

Written By: karen on 03/31/08 at 8:03 am

We are toying with going to Chicago for a long weekend in October.

What is there to do that my children 9age nine and six) will find interesting?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/01/08 at 5:26 pm

I don't know about the kids, but if you have any morbid interest in 30s gangsters they have a tour that takes you to where the Valentines Day Massacre was as well as other Al Capone sights, and the Biograph Theatre where John Dillinger was gunned down.  I  liked that.

Written By: karen on 04/02/08 at 8:32 pm

I don't know about the kids, but if you have any morbid interest in 30s gangsters they have a tour that takes you to where the Valentines Day Massacre was as well as other Al Capone sights, and the Biograph Theatre where John Dillinger was gunned down.  I  liked that.

Hmm not sure its quite our scene to be honest.  We're more likely to go to a science museum or something.  Maybe a large park with a zoo or perhaps some obvious landmark like the equivalent of the Empire State building.  Is it Sears Tower?  Or is that someplace else?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/08 at 5:27 pm

Hmm not sure its quite our scene to be honest.  We're more likely to go to a science museum or something.  Maybe a large park with a zoo or perhaps some obvious landmark like the equivalent of the Empire State building.  Is it Sears Tower?  Or is that someplace else?

Chicago is a major city so they have a lot of stuff.  How about www.lpzoo.org/    Then there is the "Magnificent Mile" which is pretty famous.  This should help  www.aviewoncities.com/chicago/magnificentmile.htm

Written By: Jessica on 04/19/08 at 8:02 pm

We are toying with going to Chicago for a long weekend in October.

What is there to do that my children 9age nine and six) will find interesting?

Visit us. ;D

The Museum of Science and Industry. It is HUGE and fascinating for kids.
http://www.msichicago.org/

The Field Museum is supposed to be cool, too, but I haven't been down there yet.
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

And Millenium Park and The Bean are worth a look-see. :)

Written By: karen on 08/08/08 at 6:19 pm

Something Dai and I were just discussing today.

Now we have our drivers licences we can fly within the US without needing our passports (using the licence as ID).  What about the children?  Is there a form of ID the children can use when flying that isn't their passport?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/08 at 4:57 am

Something Dai and I were just discussing today.

Now we have our drivers licences we can fly within the US without needing our passports (using the licence as ID).  What about the children?  Is there a form of ID the children can use when flying that isn't their passport?

I always carry my young ones passport with us, just in case, but as a rule children under 18 don't need anything as long as they are accompanied by a parent and not leaving the country.  There are places that can issue ID's, I think here in Massachusetts the Registry of Motor Vehicles will do it.

Written By: karen on 08/09/08 at 2:20 pm

I always carry my young ones passport with us, just in case, but as a rule children under 18 don't need anything as long as they are accompanied by a parent and not leaving the country. 

So we might not need anything, but it doesn't hurt to carry the passports I suppose.  Especially since we are from overseas.

There are places that can issue ID's, I think here in Massachusetts the Registry of Motor Vehicles will do it.

I thought I saw a young girl getting her picture taken at the DMV yesterday and I wondered if it was for a non-drivers state ID.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/08 at 2:26 pm

So we might not need anything, but it doesn't hurt to carry the passports I suppose.  Especially since we are from overseas.

I thought I saw a young girl getting her picture taken at the DMV yesterday and I wondered if it was for a non-drivers state ID.

I suppose I should get one of those. I have my driver's license but my state doesn't require a pic on it-but they are phasing them in so I think some time in the future they will require one-and then I will get a non-driver ID. In the meantime, I will just renew mine by mail.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/31/08 at 9:03 am

Something I've been wondering about for a while.

When Americans use the term veteran do they mean anyone who has been in the armed forces or only to people who have seen 'active' duty?

Written By: karen on 11/03/08 at 10:00 am

Come on someone must know

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/08 at 10:13 am

When Americans use the term veteran do they mean anyone who has been in the armed forces or only to people who have seen 'active' duty?

I usually mean someone who has seen active duty.  My dad is an ex-Marine, but didn't see combat, and he's never referred to himself as a veteran.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/08 at 1:30 pm

Usually it means someone who has served in the armed forces. I was in the Air Force just short of 8 years and never saw combat-I served during peacetime. I am considered a disabled vet.

BTW, active duty does not mean combat. Active duty means that you are serving as opposed to being on reserve or guard duty (which usually only serves one weekend a month). When they are serving, they go from being reserve to active duty.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/03/08 at 1:57 pm

Usually it means someone who has served in the armed forces. I was in the Air Force just short of 8 years and never saw combat-I served during peacetime. I am considered a disabled vet.

BTW, active duty does not mean combat. Active duty means that you are serving as opposed to being on reserve or guard duty (which usually only serves one weekend a month). When they are serving, they go from being reserve to active duty.

Cat

I actually meant someone who had seen combat I guess.  That is how I would use the term but I noticed a difference here.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/08 at 2:53 am

I seem to remember light years ago that the VFW(Veterans of Foreign Wars) wouldn't allow anyone in if they hadn't seen combat, but I believe that has changed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/08 at 12:32 pm

I seem to remember light years ago that the VFW(Veterans of Foreign Wars) wouldn't allow anyone in if they hadn't seen combat, but I believe that has changed.

There was some issue with that several years ago because they were losing membership because the last "war" we had was Vietnam. I would not be eligible for membership-and I don't really know if that is a bad thing or not.  ;)  Now, with Iraq, they may have gone back to their original criteria. I don't know. I have never been interested in them.

Cat 

Written By: karen on 03/19/09 at 3:28 pm

Who can I complain to (apart from you guys!) about a food store with out of date stuff on the shelves?  Is there a state or nationwide consumer advice bureau?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/09 at 7:14 pm

Who can I complain to (apart from you guys!) about a food store with out of date stuff on the shelves?  Is there a state or nationwide consumer advice bureau?

Most definitely.  There should be a number for the city Board of Health or state office of consumer affairs.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/19/09 at 7:17 pm

hey karen...I was just looking at the FDA website and found this info which is news to me and probably many others here as as well:  http://www.fda.gov/

Selling food past the expiration date in some cases is not a violation of FDA's regulations or law  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/09 at 7:21 pm

Still best to check.  I would start with City Hall.

Written By: karen on 03/19/09 at 9:31 pm

Still best to check.  I would start with City Hall.

thanks.  I've just looked on the town website.  I might be able to complain to them or maybe through the state consumer protection department.

In this case it is UHT milk sell by Dec 08. 

My friend has spotted cooked meats two or three weeks out of date in a different store and we were talking about whether there was somewhere to complain (since the store seemed indifferent to it)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/09 at 5:56 pm

Milk is a big no no when it comes to expiration dates.  I would definitely report that.

Written By: karen on 03/23/09 at 10:51 am

Next question.

Not sure if this is just a CT thing or New England or what.  When you ask someone the time and they say "it is a quarter of three" do they mean in fifteen minutes it will be three o'clock or do they mean it is fifteen minutes past three?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/09 at 1:00 pm

Next question.

Not sure if this is just a CT thing or New England or what.  When you ask someone the time and they say "it is a quarter of three" do they mean in fifteen minutes it will be three o'clock or do they mean it is fifteen minutes past three?

15 minutes BEFORE 3. Sometimes it will be said, "OF" three" or "TO" three.

Cat

Written By: karen on 03/23/09 at 4:06 pm

15 minutes BEFORE 3. Sometimes it will be said, "OF" three" or "TO" three.

Cat

Well, I would "to 3" so the 'of' bit puzzled me. 

thanks for clearing up the mystery!

Check for new replies or respond here...