inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about the French language and/or French Canada - translations welcome....

Written By: McDonald on 06/20/07 at 10:56 am

OK, so I'm McDonald and I live in Québec. My first language is English but I also speak French out of necessity and also interest. If you've ever wondered about how to say something in French, how something in French translates into English, about the French language in Canada, about where to visit in French-speaking Canada, how to swear in French, or about the French Canadian culture (music, films etc...), go ahead and ask me.

Subject: Re: Ask me about the French language and/or French Canada - translations welcome....

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/07 at 2:26 pm

Are Roch Voisine and Éric Lapointe still big in Quebec?

I assume Lapointe still is, as I sometimes see his vids on MusiquePlus

Subject: Re: Ask me about the French language and/or French Canada - translations welcome....

Written By: McDonald on 06/20/07 at 5:31 pm

Are Roch Voisine and Éric Lapointe still big in Quebec?

I assume Lapointe still is, as I sometimes see his vids on MusiquePlus

re: Roch Voisine, he doesn't have any new songs out lately, but he is still well known in Québec. The Québécois do not easily forget their celebrities, since they only have a limited number of them anyway.

Eric Lapointe is still hugely popular here and I think he just released a live album or a greatest hits album or something. He was recently on tour across the province I believe.

But who is really making heads turn these days is another young guy named Lapointe (I don't believe they are related). Pierre Lapointe is getting well known throughout the Francophonie for his highly poetic lyrics and catchy tunes. He was nominated for a Juno this year but did not win (even though I think he should have). He had a giant hit here with a song called Deux par deux rassemblés. I encourage you to watch the video, just follow the link at the bottom.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iwifSGa19tU

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/07 at 7:23 pm

re: Roch Voisine, he doesn't have any new songs out lately, but he is still well known in Québec. The Québécois do not easily forget their celebrities, since they only have a limited number of them anyway.

Eric Lapointe is still hugely popular here and I think he just released a live album or a greatest hits album or something. He was recently on tour across the province I believe.

But who is really making heads turn these days is another young guy named Lapointe (I don't believe they are related). Pierre Lapointe is getting well known throughout the Francophonie for his highly poetic lyrics and catchy tunes. He was nominated for a Juno this year but did not win (even though I think he should have). He had a giant hit here with a song called Deux par deux rassemblés. I encourage you to watch the video, just follow the link at the bottom.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iwifSGa19tU

That song is very catchy!  I saw the video for it before.  I was flipping channels, and I saw it on MusiquePlus, and it looked so cheesy, I had to watch

I really enjoy Pierre's TRON inspired video for Qu'en est-il de la chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlI6ijzi9Gs

It's easily the most hi-tech Canadian music video I've seen since Shania Twain's 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good'

Written By: McDonald on 06/20/07 at 8:10 pm

That song is very catchy!  I saw the video for it before.  I was flipping channels, and I saw it on MusiquePlus, and it looked so cheesy, I had to watch

I really enjoy Pierre's TRON inspired video for Qu'en est-il de la chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlI6ijzi9Gs

It's easily the most hi-tech Canadian music video I've seen since Shania Twain's 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good'

Yes, I know the song but I had never seen the video. It's pretty cool. Seriously though, this guy Pierre Lapointe is a budding genius.

Written By: McDonald on 06/22/07 at 7:06 pm

In two days will be St. Jean-Baptiste Day (La Fête Nationale des Québécois), the national holiday of Francophone Quebeckers. It's a huge festival across the province celebrated in much the same way as, say, the 4th of July would be in the States. There are parades, concerts, fireworks, and BBQs. It's a statutory holiday, and basically one giant party that lasts all weekend. Some Francophones in other provinces celebrate it too. All the best Québec groups and artists will be en spectacle all over the province, and all for FREE!

http://blog.frogmedias.com/IMG/jpg/saint-jean.jpg http://img2.cybercartes.com/cybercartes/ccimg/images_cc/cc_000157.jpg http://vidangesdudiable.blogspirit.com/images/medium_saintjean.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/07 at 5:40 pm

This may be a stupid question.

I am trying to teach myself French, I go to a server in a game I play (Second Life) where everyone speaks French.  Are there any..I dunno...common phrases that I can learn to make communicating easier?  I knew I should have taken at least ONE extra language in high school, but I was always busy with marching band practice or radio class.  Sometimes it's a little hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.  Ruff!  Ruff!

Written By: Satish on 09/18/07 at 7:37 am

Don't you think it's funny how in French, potatoes are referred to as apples?

The French word for apple is "pomme".

As some of you might know, potatoes originally came from America and weren't introduced into Europe until Columbus' voyage in 1492.

Potatoes grow in the ground, unlike apples, which grow on trees.

Do you know what the French term for potato is? It's "pomme de terre." That literally means "apple of the Earth"!

Isn't that a hoot? Who'd have thought you could confuse potatoes with apples?  ;D

Written By: Henk on 09/18/07 at 11:34 am

As some of you might know, potatoes originally came from America and weren't introduced into Europe until Columbus' voyage in 1492.

Do you know what the French term for potato is? It's "pomme de terre." That literally means "apple of the Earth"!

Isn't that a hoot? Who'd have thought you could confuse potatoes with apples?  ;D

It's not just the French that do so... :-[

In Dutch, potatoes are called "aardappels" (or "aardappelen"), which translates as..."apple of/from the earth".

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/07 at 12:05 pm

The English call them Spuds.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/18/07 at 10:59 pm

This may be silly, but do you pronounce Quebecois as:

Kebekwa
or
Kwebekwa?

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/07 at 12:30 am

This may be silly, but do you pronounce Quebecois as:

Kebekwa
or
Kwebekwa?

I have always said the first one

There are three ways to say Quebec ...

"Kay-bek"
"Cue-bek"
and the one I believe is most commonly used .. "kwuh-bek"

Written By: Howard on 09/19/07 at 6:35 am

How long did it take to learn the language? ???

Subject: Re: Ask me about the French language and/or French Canada - translations welcome

Written By: McDonald on 12/24/07 at 12:20 pm

This may be a stupid question.

I am trying to teach myself French, I go to a server in a game I play (Second Life) where everyone speaks French.  Are there any..I dunno...common phrases that I can learn to make communicating easier?  I knew I should have taken at least ONE extra language in high school, but I was always busy with marching band practice or radio class.  Sometimes it's a little hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.  Ruff!  Ruff!
[/quote

Common phrases in French are ample, but are you looking for something specifically for gamers? Like gamer slang. Because there you are out of luck, I have no idea, I've never even played one of those online games in English. And I think a lot of them actually use English as well, even if they speak French.

Subject: Re: Ask me about the French language and/or French Canada - translations welcome

Written By: McDonald on 12/24/07 at 12:22 pm

All quite true, but in Quebec the most common word for potato is "patate." Whereas in France, people usually just sat "pommes" and you make the difference through context.

Written By: McDonald on 12/24/07 at 12:32 pm

I have always said the first one

There are three ways to say Quebec ...

"Kay-bek"
"Cue-bek"
and the one I believe is most commonly used .. "kwuh-bek"

Most Anglo-Quebeckers would say "keh-beck" where a few would say "kwebeck". But please, and I know there are some people who do say it, but please don't say "cue-beck", it literally hurts to hear it. LOL.

The word "québécois" is pronounced in French as "kay-bay-kwah" and in English as "keh-beh-kwah" but it is rare (and incorrect, I would say) to pronounce it "kweh-behk-wah", with the W sound, because unlike the word Quebec, Québécois is still primarily a French word not really adopted into English. The present English equivalent would be "Quebecker"; however, in the opinion of many Quebeckers themselves, the ENglish word is a word that mostly Anglo-Quebeckers identify with, while they generally reject the term Québécois, because they feel that this word is really only for French-Canadians in Quebec. Many of the latter feel the same way.

Currently, the legal definition of Québécois in French and Quebecker in English is any Canadian who is a resident of the Province of Quebec. But the sociological definitions differ from these quite a bit. I've often said you can ask 10 citizens in Quebec what the definition of Québécois is and you would get ten different answers. Nobody really knows for sure, which makes this recognition of the Québécois as a nation a particularly difficult thing to interpret.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/08 at 10:29 am

I was watching my favorite Pink Floyd video, "Welcome To The Machine," on yotube. This comment
was left, would you please translate it for me? I'm just curious as to what it says. Thanks,  ;D

Pink Floyd c'est énorme, planant, merci le net de nous donner l'occas de voir des choses que l'on ne verrait pas autrement...

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/08 at 3:46 pm

Most Anglo-Quebeckers would say "keh-beck" where a few would say "kwebeck". But please, and I know there are some people who do say it, but please don't say "cue-beck", it literally hurts to hear it. LOL.

The word "québécois" is pronounced in French as "kay-bay-kwah" and in English as "keh-beh-kwah" but it is rare (and incorrect, I would say) to pronounce it "kweh-behk-wah", with the W sound, because unlike the word Quebec, Québécois is still primarily a French word not really adopted into English. The present English equivalent would be "Quebecker"; however, in the opinion of many Quebeckers themselves, the ENglish word is a word that mostly Anglo-Quebeckers identify with, while they generally reject the term Québécois, because they feel that this word is really only for French-Canadians in Quebec. Many of the latter feel the same way.

Currently, the legal definition of Québécois in French and Quebecker in English is any Canadian who is a resident of the Province of Quebec. But the sociological definitions differ from these quite a bit. I've often said you can ask 10 citizens in Quebec what the definition of Québécois is and you would get ten different answers. Nobody really knows for sure, which makes this recognition of the Québécois as a nation a particularly difficult thing to interpret.

It gets so confusing, that lately I just say PQ lol

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/08 at 9:28 pm

I was watching my favorite Pink Floyd video, "Welcome To The Machine," on yotube. This comment
was left, would you please translate it for me? I'm just curious as to what it says. Thanks,  ;D

Pink Floyd c'est énorme, planant, merci le net de nous donner l'occas de voir des choses que l'on ne verrait pas autrement...

It means: Pink Floyd is huge, euphoric. Thanks to the Net for giving us the chance to see some things that otherwise we wouldn't be able to.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/02/08 at 4:56 pm

It means: Pink Floyd is huge, euphoric. Thanks to the Net for giving us the chance to see some things that otherwise we wouldn't be able to.

Thanks for the translation. I was going to try an online translation but every time I try I get a literal translation
that is usually harder to read than the original language.  :P

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/10/08 at 12:30 pm

how do you say "vulevuqucheavemoi"?  :-\\

Written By: karen on 01/10/08 at 12:33 pm

how do you say "vulevuqucheavemoi"?   :-\\

It's "voulez vous couchez, avec moi" I think

Written By: McDonald on 01/11/08 at 12:55 am

It's "voulez vous couchez, avec moi" I think

Very close, but just a couple peccadilloes. It's written <<Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?>> with a hyphen between 'voulez' and 'vous' because of the subject-verb inversion, and the verb 'coucher' in the infinitive.

Check for new replies or respond here...