inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ask me anything about the history of the videogame industry

Written By: annonymouse on 06/27/07 at 11:56 pm

well...

Subject: Re: ask me anything about the history of the videogame industry

Written By: Howard on 06/28/07 at 6:01 am

Have You ever played RAW Vs.Smackdown 2007?

Written By: annonymouse on 06/28/07 at 8:04 am

Have You ever played RAW Vs.Smackdown 2007?

that question is inadequate. ask another.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/07 at 2:12 pm

that question is inadequate. ask another.

Why was that inadequate? ???.... ::)

Written By: annonymouse on 06/29/07 at 12:15 am

Why was that inadequate? ???.... ::)

read the title of the thread. that's why.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:20 am

read the title of the thread. that's why.

I have a question ...

Did RAW Vs.Smackdown 2007 have a helping hand in the continuing history of the video game industry?  And if so, will it affect the future of the video game industry?

Written By: annonymouse on 06/29/07 at 12:40 am

I have a question ...

Did RAW Vs.Smackdown 2007 have a helping hand in the continuing history of the video game industry?  And if so, will it affect the future of the video game industry?

no, it's a wrestling game, and although it may sell a few copies, and possibly a tiny bit of consoles it will leave no significant mark whatsoever on the industry. how's that?

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:50 am

how's that?

unsatisfactory :P

Written By: annonymouse on 06/29/07 at 12:52 am

unsatisfactory :P

well, the question wasn't all that voluptuous. sorry

Written By: Howard on 06/29/07 at 6:25 am

How long have you been into video games?

Written By: annonymouse on 06/29/07 at 12:28 pm

How long have you been into video games?

since i got the playstation in 99

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:49 pm

since i got the playstation in 99

I know more than you about the video game industry.  I've been playin' video games since about 1982 :P

Written By: Howard on 06/29/07 at 3:26 pm

I know more than you about the video game industry.  I've been playin' video games since about 1982 :P

Since the days of Atari. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 4:15 pm

Since the days of Atari. ;D

Actually, since the Commodore days.  I had a Commodore Vic-20 before I had an Atari

Written By: Howard on 06/29/07 at 4:19 pm

Actually, since the Commodore days.  I had a Commodore Vic-20 before I had an Atari

What was your favorite game?

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 4:27 pm

What was your favorite game?

Cosmic Cruncher.  The way they turned the Commodore Logo into a Pac-Man clone was just too awesome not to love

Written By: Howard on 06/30/07 at 8:33 am

Cosmic Cruncher.  The way they turned the Commodore Logo into a Pac-Man clone was just too awesome not to love

How about the old Pac Man? ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 07/01/07 at 5:39 pm

so what? i didn't learn what i know from PLAYING videogames. and howard, the original pac-man SUCKED on console!

Written By: Howard on 07/01/07 at 7:28 pm

so what? i didn't learn what i know from PLAYING videogames. and howard, the original pac-man SUCKED on console!

I remember the Old Pac Man.It was a dumb game.In 1979 the Atari Pac man was slow but when Nintendo or was it Atari that came out a few years later,It had a better look to it.I couldn't even get past Level 3. ::)

Written By: annonymouse on 07/01/07 at 11:12 pm

I remember the Old Pac Man.It was a dumb game.In 1979 the Atari Pac man was slow but when Nintendo or was it Atari that came out a few years later,It had a better look to it.I couldn't even get past Level 3. ::)

yeah, slow and flashy, and skippy...  that game was TERRIBLE. the only game worse than pacman for the atari is ET

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 11:16 pm

'Pac-Man' and 'E.T.' for the Atari 2600 were two of the main causes for the "Video Game Crash of 1983".

I still like Pac-Man.  It may only give me like 2 minutes of fun before I get bored, but heck all those old Atari games got boring rather fast.  It's the way early 80s gaming was s'posed to be LOL

Written By: annonymouse on 07/01/07 at 11:29 pm

'Pac-Man' and 'E.T.' for the Atari 2600 were two of the main causes for the "Video Game Crash of 1983".

I still like Pac-Man.  It may only give me like 2 minutes of fun before I get bored, but heck all those old Atari games got boring rather fast.  It's the way early 80s gaming was s'posed to be LOL

yup, but mainly ET. it's always nice to be able to put all the blame on one game. pacman did assist, but ET ALMOST single handedly brought the industry to it's knees. (i know that's not neccesarily true. the true reason for the crash was the fact that there were loads of games that were basically crummy copies of good games. too many bad games polluting the market, but pac man, and especially ET really finished it off. it just goes to show that since the begining of videogame history, movie licensed games have always SUCKED!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 6:08 am

Was the game Lemmings a great game after all?

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 6:31 am

yeah, slow and flashy, and skippy...  that game was TERRIBLE. the only game worse than pacman for the atari is ET

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/ET2600-Pit.gif

;D^

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 6:31 am

What level did you ever get up to?

Written By: annonymouse on 07/02/07 at 7:05 am

Was the game Lemmings a great game after all?

nah, a bit over awarded. it would have been better had it come out years before it did. 91 is kinda late

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 7:07 am

nah, a bit over awarded. it would have been better had it come out years before it did. 91 is kinda late
Thanks.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/02/07 at 8:23 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/ET2600-Pit.gif

;D^

yeah, there's a good week worth of development.

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/07 at 12:32 pm

What level did you ever get up to?

on Atari Pac-Man?  Haven't played it in a while, but I believe Level 3 was were I kept dying.  The way the ghosts moved and how they were almost invisible made it at times impossible to avoid them the way the board was set up

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 3:45 pm

on Atari Pac-Man?  Haven't played it in a while, but I believe Level 3 was were I kept dying.  The way the ghosts moved and how they were almost invisible made it at times impossible to avoid them the way the board was set up

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/games/tags/classic-games

Here you can play the classic Pac Man and other arcade games as well.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 3:46 pm

yeah, there's a good week worth of development.

Maybe they wanted to take their time in setting it up.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/02/07 at 7:52 pm

Maybe they wanted to take their time in setting it up.

what do you mean. they bought the movie name rights for loads of money, and took less than 3 weeks to develop the game. the packaged them up and shipped them to stores, where lots and lots of people bought. i mean, c'mon! it was ET! they brought it home, and were very very dissapointed. from then on, many boycotted the industry and eventually crashed, only to be revived many years later by nintendo. 

Written By: Step-chan on 07/02/07 at 8:27 pm

what do you mean. they bought the movie name rights for loads of money, and took less than 3 weeks to develop the game. the packaged them up and shipped them to stores, where lots and lots of people bought. i mean, c'mon! it was ET! they brought it home, and were very very dissapointed. from then on, many boycotted the industry and eventually crashed, only to be revived many years later by nintendo. 

When they sealed the rights to make the game, they had 5 weeks to get the game developed and shipped. This was a movie game deal combined with a nightmare holiday deadline, they wanted the game to be ready for fall(movie came out in June). Howard Scott Warshaw was the one who accepted the assignment to make the game, no one else would except it(for obvious reasons). I remember reading about the story of the ET game in a couple of EGM magazines, but it had been awhile, so I touched up on it in wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(Atari_2600)

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 7:21 am

Have you ever played Super Mario Brothers?

Written By: annonymouse on 07/04/07 at 3:04 pm

Have you ever played Super Mario Brothers?

who hasn't?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 3:08 pm

who hasn't?
Evan I tried to play Super Mario Brothers

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 4:32 pm

Evan I tried to play Super Mario Brothers

What level did you get up to? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 4:57 pm

What level did you get up to? ???
Sorry, I cannot remember now, it was a long time ago.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 5:38 pm

Sorry, I cannot remember now, it was a long time ago.

It's Ok if you don't remember,I couldn't either. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 5:40 pm

It's Ok if you don't remember,I couldn't either. ;D
I enjoyed the game more when you explore around the given area.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/04/07 at 6:01 pm

http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/september01_HERETIC_1s.jpghttp://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/september01_HERETIC_4s.jpghttp://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/september01_HERETIC_3s.jpghttp://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/september01_HERETIC_2s.jpg

Heretic ^ .... now THERE was a game! Absolutely awesome at the time, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game so much. Shame those pixellated graphics look so dated now. I did find an engine somewhere that brought it slightly more up to date .. but its still no longer fresh.

I've played heaps of first person shooters such as galaxians, galaga, doom, quake, ROTT (Revenge of the Triads), Duke Nukem, Blood etc; etc; Probably the most modern one I've really enjoyed (actually bought) was 'Painkiller' (2004 ?).  It has really big 'bosses', and polished graphics.Just love those fantasy shooters.

Anyone here got recommendations on recent additions to this genre?

Too bad that many of the games today seem to require a 6 month course to learn even how to start playing them .... way too complicated for my attention span. I just want to get shooting them bad guys!
;D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 6:10 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Hogansalleyscreenshot.png

GL,Do you remember Hogan's Alley from 1984?

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/05/07 at 6:44 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Hogansalleyscreenshot.png

GL,Do you remember Hogan's Alley from 1984?

Can't say I recognise it from the screen shot you've provided Howard. Looks very much like an arcade game of the time. Around that time, I owned a Commodore 64 ... and that really seems like the dark ages when I think back. Used to have to spend a few minutes trying to load a game via cassette tape ... and it often wouldn't. Still, they were ingenious highly addictive games for their time (late 70's early 80's) .. the likes of galaga, galaxians, phoenix, qix, and pacman. On the commodore, my favourite game was probably 'boulder dash' .... if you didn't time your run right through a maze, and know precisely where to go, you'd often get clobbered by a boulder falling on your head. Ouch!

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 7:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Lv-gO2ChU

Here is a 3 minute clip from Hogan's Alley(Nintendo) to get a better look at it. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/07 at 8:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Lv-gO2ChU

Here is a 3 minute clip from Hogan's Alley(Nintendo) to get a better look at it. :)

I've seen it before, but never played it.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/07 at 9:03 pm

This reminds me of a funny story ... One day I was in the arcade, and I was playing Virtua Cop and the gun wasn't working, or atleast I thought it wasn't.  It turns out the adjacent arcade was Hogan's Alley, and I'd accidentally grabbed the gun from that game and was using it to try and play Virtua Cop ;D

Written By: Midas on 07/05/07 at 9:41 pm

Atari Pac-Man in 1979?  I didn't think it was released for the 2600 'til 1982.  ???

So This Kid/That Kid/Whatever Kid, what's your take on the evolution of violence depicted in videogames over the past 30 years?  We go from shooting up space invaders and asteroids to full-on graphic bloodshed.  For what?  Because technology allows us to?  ???

Written By: annonymouse on 07/05/07 at 11:58 pm

Atari Pac-Man in 1979?  I didn't think it was released for the 2600 'til 1982.  ???

So This Kid/That Kid/Whatever Kid, what's your take on the evolution of violence depicted in videogames over the past 30 years?  We go from shooting up space invaders and asteroids to full-on graphic bloodshed.  For what?  Because technology allows us to?  ???

i could say what most say. that gamers are like drug adicts. and that the more violent games they play the more violence they need. or i could relate it to the movie industry and defend violent games by pointing out how so many people love watching down right gruesome movies like saw and hostile. but i don't believe that. the fact is, right now, all the industry is really trying to go for, what they're really trying to impress you with, is realism. i mean, look at halo. the biggest game of it's time, and perhaps all-time. sure, it's a little violent. sure, you see a bloodstained floor, or a splurt of blue, green, or purple blood here and there. but is it really THAT gruesome? not at all. the most gruesome part of either games in the halo series, that i can think of, is in guilty spark on the first halo where you go through a walkway stained all around with blue and blackish blood. that's it. it's not even red. we can even look at another popular title, grand theft auto. sure, it's violent. heck! it's REALLY violent. but it's not gruesome. sure, there's blood, but not a whole lot. the only game (other than manhunt, because that's basically banned) i can really think of that is all that gory, is gears of war. but even then, you're killing disguisting creatures that come up from the ground like worms on a rainy day! but, i suppose your question wasn't really about the horrificness of todays games, but rather the as you say "evolution" of violent games over the years. and to be honest, there's more than just ONE type of game that has violence. and space invader, and asteroids aren't really one of todays existing generes. they're arcade games. even when put on consoles, they're still arcade games. games that use a joy stick and a couple buttons. and other than that, there's shooters, action rpg's, rts's and much much more. different types of games require different levels of violence. and when you wonder about the growing levels of graphic intensity within those generes, the answer is, as i said, realism. and yes, better technology is helping us to create more realistic violence, but that's not WHY we're doing it. we're doing it to obtain realism.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 12:05 am

Pac-Man premiered in the Arcades in 1980.  It made it to Atari in 1982.  If Howard had Pac-Man for the Atari in 1979, then he knows something we don't ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/07 at 12:07 am

Pac-Man premiered in the Arcades in 1980.  It made it to Atari in 1982.  If Howard had Pac-Man for the Atari in 1979, then he knows something we don't ;D

Maybe he's thinking of Package Man.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 6:06 am

Ok My bad.I suffer from CRS. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 6:07 am

I've seen it before, but never played it.

It's pretty easy in the beginning but then it gets harder as the rounds get difficult.You have to try not to shoot the policeman,woman or professor.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 12:49 pm

It's pretty easy in the beginning but then it gets harder as the rounds get difficult.You have to try not to shoot the policeman,woman or professor.

I remember the first ever time I played Hogan's Alley, I didn't read the instructions, and I thought the idea was to just shoot everyone ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/07 at 12:53 pm

Ok My bad.I suffer from CRS. ;D

And that's funny? o_O

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:01 pm

And that's funny? o_O

well in a way it is.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:02 pm

I remember the first ever time I played Hogan's Alley, I didn't read the instructions, and I thought the idea was to just shoot everyone ;D

The whole point of the game is to avoid shooting the innocent guys and just gun for the "bad ones".You get points for doing so.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/09/07 at 11:41 pm

i love how far conversations stray from the topic on boards such as this.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/09/07 at 11:49 pm

Don't we all?

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 11:57 pm

That's only coz you don't have the answers I seek :P :D ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/10/07 at 6:16 am

But this the place where we talk about video games. ???

Written By: annonymouse on 07/12/07 at 2:09 pm

But this the place where we talk about video games. ???

yes, you're right. it is. but this is not the place where we are supposed to.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/12/07 at 3:11 pm

yes, you're right. it is. but this is not the place where we are supposed to.

Then why don't you explain to us what we should be asking? Your explanation of "well.." was a bit ambiguous.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/07 at 7:13 pm

How does Atari compare to today's consoles? ???

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 12:09 am

Then why don't you explain to us what we should be asking? Your explanation of "well.." was a bit ambiguous.

the explanation is all in the title. check it out sometime.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 1:19 am

How does Atari compare to today's consoles? ???

such a question cannot be answered correctly. i don't mean to be picky, it's just that i started this topic to answer questions that have a definite answer. like who did this or is this true or whatever happened to this guy. to answer your question howard, they don't. there are a few laws of videogames that have carried over over the generations (such as the fact that movie licensed ames and ports tend to suck) but the industry hs gone through so many changes, as has the technology behind it, and they really don't have much in common other than the fact that they're all consoles. since atari and the videogame crash control over games by the companies that license them has become more strict, so that we do not have a massive flood of terrible games like what caused the crash. alot has changed.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 1:41 am

such a question cannot be answered correctly. i don't mean to be picky, it's just that i started this topic to answer questions that have a definite answer. like who did this or is this true or whatever happened to this guy. to answer your question howard, they don't. there are a few laws of videogames that have carried over over the generations (such as the fact that movie licensed ames and ports tend to suck) but the industry hs gone through so many changes, as has the technology behind it, and they really don't have much in common other than the fact that they're all consoles. since atari and the videogame crash control over games by the companies that license them has become more strict, so that we do not have a massive flood of terrible games like what caused the crash. alot has changed.

I really think you should explain what kinds of questions you want.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 2:13 am

I really think you should explain what kinds of questions you want.

did you read my last post?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 7:20 pm

did you read my last post?

Yes, and it didn't answer what I was asking for.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 10:26 pm

Yes, and it didn't answer what I was asking for.

i was hoping for less opinionative questions. ones that have a definate answer, like questions that would be used in a trivia.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 10:35 pm

i was hoping for less opinionative questions. ones that have a definate answer, like questions that would be used in a trivia.

So what year did they stop producing games for the Atari?

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 10:47 pm

So what year did they stop producing games for the Atari?

well, there really isn't an exact recorded date for when the very last third party developer stopped producing games, Atari however for the most part stopped producing games in around 1983 (a year after the releases of pac-man and ET in 82) after burrying the millions of remaning copies of both games in a landfill in new mexico which was then filled with concrete. but i suppose that was just the 2600. atari later released the jaguar in the 90's. but jaguar games really shouldn't count. so probably from 94-96

Written By: Howard on 07/14/07 at 6:25 am

well, there really isn't an exact recorded date for when the very last third party developer stopped producing games, Atari however for the most part stopped producing games in around 1983 (a year after the releases of pac-man and ET in 82) after burrying the millions of remaning copies of both games in a landfill in new mexico which was then filled with concrete. but i suppose that was just the 2600. atari later released the jaguar in the 90's. but jaguar games really shouldn't count. so probably from 94-96

Now you can buy atari games off of ebay.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/14/07 at 9:45 pm

Now you can buy atari games off of ebay.

you can buy everything on ebay.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 10:28 pm

you can buy everything on ebay.

Not everything.  Jessica Simpson's belly button lint is not on ebay ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 07/15/07 at 1:51 am

Not everything.  Jessica Simpson's belly button lint is not on ebay ;D

ok maybe not everything, but i am planing on setting up on a small hair from burt reynolds mustache. it's a work in progress.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/07 at 6:25 am

ok maybe not everything, but i am planing on setting up on a small hair from burt reynolds mustache. it's a work in progress.

How much would that cost?  ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 07/16/07 at 12:56 am

How much would that cost?  ;D

depends. are you interested in a fake mustache with a single burt reynolds strand of hair incorperated into it, or just the hair?

Written By: Howard on 07/16/07 at 6:17 am

depends. are you interested in a fake mustache with a single burt reynolds strand of hair incorperated into it, or just the hair?

No,I don't want anymore facial hair.  ;D

Written By: RTynanDDS on 07/18/07 at 1:13 pm

What was the first video game to incorporate recorded dialogue for onscreen characters?

Written By: annonymouse on 07/20/07 at 1:34 am

What was the first video game to incorporate recorded dialogue for onscreen characters?

i honestly couldn't tell you that one. i thought maybe the original doom, but i believe it's accomplishments regarded ofscreen character dialogue. so i'm just going to take a wild guess and say "the secret of monkey island"???

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/20/07 at 2:49 am

i honestly couldn't tell you that one. i thought maybe the original doom, but i believe it's accomplishments regarded ofscreen character dialogue. so i'm just going to take a wild guess and say "the secret of monkey island"???

Wolfenstein 3D, which used the Doom software programming before Doom did, also had some dialogue, I believe. Such as nazis yelling and the such...

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 6:12 am

Any more Mario games in the process? ???

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/07 at 11:10 am

The Mario Hilton - in which Mario is in the penthouse of a Hilton Hotel.  The goal is to escape outside before Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan turn you into a drunk ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 1:42 pm

The Mario Hilton - in which Mario is in the penthouse of a Hilton Hotel.  The goal is to escape outside before Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan turn you into a drunk ;D

What about King Koopa?  ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 07/20/07 at 3:59 pm

Wolfenstein 3D, which used the Doom software programming before Doom did, also had some dialogue, I believe. Such as nazis yelling and the such...

ok, yeah, doom and wolfenstein look exacly the same. they both use that plane of view that make them look 3d. there's also a snes game based on noahs arc that uses the ame technology. you shoot animals with a slingshot to put them to sleep.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/20/07 at 4:01 pm

yup, along with all of the other first party nintendo games that will involve all nintendo characters including mario, a game called mario galaxy is closed to being finished.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/07 at 4:47 pm

yup, along with all of the other first party nintendo games that will involve all nintendo characters including mario, a game called mario galaxy is closed to being finished.

I guess they'll never stop. :o

Written By: annonymouse on 07/22/07 at 9:10 pm

I guess they'll never stop. :o

ofcourse not. that's the only material nintendo has!

Written By: Howard on 07/23/07 at 6:03 am

Wasn't there a Paper Mario years ago? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/07 at 9:04 pm

"Thank you, Mario!  But our drunken skank is in another hotel!"

Check for new replies or respond here...