inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old School MTV or VH1? Ask Me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:22 pm

I'm pretty knowledgeable on all eras, but I personally was biggest on firsthand experience of watching both in 1991-1993 (in the Kurt Loder days of MTV, and the Video Hits One era of VH1...then again in the late '90s).

Subject: Re: Old School MTV or VH1? Ask Me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 11:31 pm

Wasn't there a V-jay on MTV named Adam Curry? I remember not liking him for some reason. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:39 pm

Yeah, I remember him a little bit. He always seemed like a typical late '80ish rocker guy, although I didn't know him in enough detail to form an opinion. Another VJ I remember from then (besides Loder) was Karen Bryant.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, I remember him a little bit. He always seemed like a typical late '80ish rocker guy, although I didn't know him in enough detail to form an opinion. Another VJ I remember from then (besides Loder) was Karen Bryant.

Was Kennedy a V-jay? I always LOVED her look...she was really cute.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:48 pm

I think so, but you stumped me because I can't conclusively remember, lol.

You know, I almost wonder if I might have a couple things from that period's VH1 and MTV confused. After school if I wasn't playing Nintendo or watching a movie, chances are I was tuned to one of the two (usually back and forth! ;) ). They shared alot of common ground for mainstream music, but one band I was introduced to purely from MTV (and later, a couple kids at school) was Ugly Kid Joe.

Remember "Everything About You"? It was like angry in a tongue-in-cheek way, and it generally sounded like hair metal with a '90s pop/grunge attitude.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 11:53 pm

I think so, but you stumped me because I can't conclusively remember, lol.

You know, I almost wonder if I might have a couple things from that period's VH1 and MTV confused. After school if I wasn't playing Nintendo or watching a movie, chances are I was tuned to one of the two (usually back and forth! ;) ). They shared alot of common ground for mainstream music, but one band I was introduced to purely from MTV (and later, a couple kids at school) was Ugly Kid Joe.

Remember "Everything About You"? It was like angry in a tongue-in-cheek way, and it generally sounded like hair metal with a '90s pop/grunge attitude.

Oh, I totally remember that song! LOL! ;D

Here's some info on Kennedy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Kennedy_Montgomery

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 2:23 am

Wasn't there a V-jay on MTV named Adam Curry? I remember not liking him for some reason. :D

I remember him as co-host with Jimmy Kimmel on 'The Man Show'.  Kimmel made it out, Curry did not :D

Written By: Howard on 08/27/07 at 6:05 am

Who was this DJ who always said Wubba,Wubba,Good Bye And God Bless? ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 9:10 am

Who was this DJ who always said Wubba,Wubba,Good Bye And God Bless? ;D

wasn't that Julie Brown?

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 08/27/07 at 11:54 am

Marty, what did you think of Rosie O'Donnell's old VH-1 show "Stand-Up Spotlight?"  I loved her so much back then, she was very unique.

Written By: woops on 08/27/07 at 1:45 pm

Do you know the ranking of the MTV "Year End" countdowns from the 1980's to mid 1990's?

Also, why did VH1 edit the music videos?

Written By: Howard on 08/27/07 at 3:27 pm

wasn't that Julie Brown?

Downtown Julie Brown,thanks Erin. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 3:45 pm

Marty, what did you think of Rosie O'Donnell's old VH-1 show "Stand-Up Spotlight?"  I loved her so much back then, she was very unique.

Funny you mention that, because this was also how I got interested in standup comedy. They also used to air specials from Gallagher (who I soon became a fan of) along with people like Gary Shandling and Elaine Boosler, among others.

But yeah, I came to enjoy Standup Spotlight after awhile. They showed it almost all the time (kinda how they are with Flava Flav now, lol). There were times I was thinking, Hey let's get back to the videos, but I got into it once I actively watched it. Rosie could be funny sometimes, although I usually found myself waiting for the other comics to come out instead, lol.

Do you know the ranking of the MTV "Year End" countdowns from the 1980's to mid 1990's?

Also, why did VH1 edit the music videos?

They started doing this in 1991 if I recall. That bugged me too, they cut off the intros and outros with "extra footage" around the songs. My guess would be that it was because they showed so many videos (it was pretty much like a radio station), they had to save as much airtime as possible. It seemed like as time progressed, they kept their edits at the same spots. When they showed those videos years later, they seemed to cut them around the same place.

Their video IDs also changed to their own format, instead of the standard MTV ones around this time. Probably so they could re-edit them into the videos just before/after the point they wanted to cut them at. It looked like this:

Don
Henley

"The Boys Of Summer"
Building The Perfect Beast
Geffen Records 1984

Written By: woops on 09/06/07 at 9:19 pm

What would be your top 10  favorite videos and who's your favorite VJ?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 8:37 am

What would be your top 10  favorite videos and who's your favorite VJ?

Good question. Of course if you're talking about the videos as opposed to the songs, I guess these would be ten that I like watching the most (picking absolute favorites, especially with '80s music ia hard! lol). This isn't really in order, but...

1. "Don't Lose My Number"-Phil Collins: The entire video was sort of lampooning other videos and movie scenes, with the premise of different ideas getting pitched to Phil for the "next video" he's going to make for the single. I love all the extra dialogue and action in it.

2. "You Might Think"-The Cars: I like the nod to King Kong here. The overall idea being, I guess, a guy who won't leave his ex-girlfriend alone and keeps reappearing in all sorts of ways. The weird shots and dimensions just make it really interesting.

3. "Don't Come Around Here No More"-Tom Petty: Despite how much it used to startle me (and still kinda does if it catches me off guard, lol), that's actually part of its appeal in a weird way. The scary, creepier aspects make it interesting and at the very least, a conversation piece over the years with me. Plus, it really was creative and fits the darker mood of the song.

4. "California Girls"-David Lee Roth: I love the tropical, Summertime beach imagery. The cool twist on it (which was lost on me until I saw the long version) is that Roth is supposed to be this twisted guide taking all these tourists there instead of to the vacation spot they thought they were going to.

5. "Everlasting Love"-Howard Jones: Two mummies come to life and go on a typical date around town, with Jones as a third party narrator singing and kinda following along. The semi creepy video contrasts the happy vibe of the song.

6. "Opposites Attract"-Paula Abdul: Fun, tongue in cheek humorous, cool and kinda innocent/sweet all at the same time. The idea being of course, that anyone can get along even if they're way different on the surface. I also liked the two extra Skat Kat raps that are only in the video version.

7. "Doing it All For My Baby"-Huey Lewis: I honestly think this is up there with any Thriller single as a great concept video. The band, probably on their way to a gig, have a car accident in the middle of nowhere. Through a series of events, Huey falls unconscious/dies and the band wanders off into this Frankenstein-esque castle (where he's brought back to life, sort of). It really is like a mini Halloween movie.

8. "Take On Me"-a ha: State of the art tech (especially for 1985) melding the cartoon and real life world together. At the end, the girl finally gets to meet Morten Hackett when they're both "real". Sort of makes it seem like a love song.

9. "Boys of Summer"-Don Henley: Cool black and white imagery around town, in a couple buildings and on a beach. Plus, it really does seem like a nostalgia song, which is symbolized in the video. The kid playing drums, Henley himself singing it, and this older looking guy in an office all seem like they're Don at different stages of his life. Like, on the "don't look back" line, they all turn around.

10. any Weird Al from that period

Favorite veejay? I remember Karen Bryant, Loder and other ones like that the most from personal experience. But the original five seemed like they "defined" MTV the most. They would've been cool to see firsthand on a regular basis in the early-mid '80s. By the time I watched VH1 I don't remember any veejays by name or face, but there was one guy with a distinct voice who announced alot of things (i.e. promos, commercials, sometimes video or program intros). This sticks out to me because he kinda pronounced certain words funny. For instance "sponsored by" was "spunserred", or "Volkswagen" was "Volkswoggin". ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...