inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Santa Barbara, UCSB, or Isla Vista

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 1:01 pm

Go ahead and ask me about Santa Barbara, Montecito or Goleta....

and no I haven't seen oprah yet but I will one day.

Subject: Re: Ask me about Santa Barbara

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/07 at 2:15 pm

Did you ever watch the daytime soap 'Santa Barbara' ?

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 2:21 pm

No I didn't live here when the show aired although I have a friend who was a dispatcher at the Santa Barbara Police dept. and apparently a lot of stupid people called because they wanted to talk to Detective Cruz (played by A. Martinez).  Unfortunately, apparently, most of the calls weren't pranks. The people honestly believed the character was a real detective with SBPD.  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/07 at 2:26 pm

I was about to ask is it still running?

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 2:51 pm

I was about to ask is it still running?

No Santa Barbara aired July 30, 1984 - January 15, 1993.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/07 at 3:36 pm

How's the temperature there? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 4:04 pm

How's the temperature there? ???

uncharacteristically hot... like really hot. I am sweating just thinking about going outside right now. 

Written By: Howard on 09/02/07 at 4:15 pm

uncharacteristically hot... like really hot. I am sweating just thinking about going outside right now. 

Low 100's?

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/07 at 10:09 pm

Low 100's?

no its Santa Barbara we're right on the ocean. Its been in the 80s to low 90s.  But we're used to it staying in the high 70s so we all complain about the heat. It finally cooled off Friday and Sat. just in time for me to take my sorry to "its so freakin' hot just kill me now" AZ. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 10:49 pm

No I didn't live here when the show aired although I have a friend who was a dispatcher at the Santa Barbara Police dept. and apparently a lot of stupid people called because they wanted to talk to Detective Cruz (played by A. Martinez).  Unfortunately, apparently, most of the calls weren't pranks. The people honestly believed the character was a real detective with SBPD.   ???

That reminds me of that Friends episode where Brooke Shields played that crazy woman who thought Drake Ramore was real :D

Was Albert Hammond correct when he sang "It Never Rains in Southern California" ?

Written By: Howard on 09/10/07 at 6:19 am

How is the crime rate there?

Written By: snozberries on 09/11/07 at 1:09 pm

How is the crime rate there?

not as bad as in some other cities. we have the usual thefts, rapes and robberies and a few murders but overall its a safe city. I work in law enforcement and know which area to avoid.  The truth is its a tourist town so they keep the "undesirables" out of the way. 

We have had a gang problem for years but the locals knew nothing about it until a 14 yr old gang member was stabbed outside of Saks Fifth Ave at 2pm on a weekday afternoon. Suddenly there was a "gang crisis" when really the gangs have been active all along just not where the tourist and the Santa Barbara elite (that's what I call the rich locals... us poor locals know what's what in SB!) could see them.

Really, with the University (UCSB) and the pary town of Isla Vista right there most of our crime is about drunk in public and possession of marij.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/07 at 4:40 pm

What's the minimum wage there?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/12/07 at 4:10 pm

What's the minimum wage there?  ???

fortunately I make above minimum wage so I don't have to think about it.... I think its like $6.75 an hour

Written By: Howard on 09/12/07 at 4:35 pm

fortunately I make above minimum wage so I don't have to think about it.... I think its like $6.75 an hour

Over here in New York,I think It's $7.00 an hour.

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 10:52 am

no its Santa Barbara we're right on the ocean. Its been in the 80s to low 90s.  But we're used to it staying in the high 70s so we all complain about the heat. It finally cooled off Friday and Sat. just in time for me to take my sorry to "its so freakin' hot just kill me now" AZ. 

Hey, it's not that bad here :P

I haven't been to Santa Barbara in 8 years.  I noticed a lot of fake vs real stuff out there.  Is it still like that?  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/08 at 12:39 pm

Hey, it's not that bad here :P

I haven't been to Santa Barbara in 8 years.  I noticed a lot of fake vs real stuff out there.  Is it still like that?  :D

It is still very much like that. We have a reputation to live up to you know so a lot of the people who adopt that SB mentality you know yuppie soccer mom, busy corporate dad, big fancy cars, entitlement attitude....I get that a lot here. Then you have the hippies who somehow seem to have really nice houses but...want to protect the environment and try to "keep it real"  ;D

The other day I saw a transient on a cell phone  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/11/09 at 11:48 am

That's what I was gonna ask!

I used to really like that show.

Written By: snozberries on 06/11/09 at 9:20 pm

That's what I was gonna ask!

I used to really like that show.

did I say I never saw it?

did I say my friend who worked for Santa Barbara PD always got calls for people asking for what;s his name... A Martinez's character

I wonder if they get calls asking for Lassie, Jules or Shawn Spencer or Gus?  ;D

i wonder if they get calls asking when Cam Sanchez was replaced by that lady Chief.  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/12/09 at 10:05 pm

did I say I never saw it?

did I say my friend who worked for Santa Barbara PD always got calls for people asking for what;s his name... A Martinez's character

I wonder if they get calls asking for Lassie, Jules or Shawn Spencer or Gus?  ;D

i wonder if they get calls asking when Cam Sanchez was replaced by that lady Chief.  :D

Someday, I am going to figure out how to call you and ask for your department psychic. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/09 at 10:07 pm

Someday, I am going to figure out how to call you and ask for your department psychic. 

for my department that's me!!!  :D  I checked.... new Psych 8/9/09

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/09 at 3:03 pm

for my department that's me!!!  :D   I checked.... new Psych 8/9/09

What? You psych them all out?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/09 at 3:09 pm

What? You psych them all out?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

lol yes I do....its the only way to get thru a shift....

and thanks for posting here!!!!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...