inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Dschinghis Khan

Written By: Dylan Baranski on 09/20/07 at 3:06 pm

You may have seen me write parodies of this German band on AmIRight.com, but if you wish to know more, ask me! I'm the ultimate source of Dschinghis Khan information in the USA!

Subject: Re: Ask me about Dschinghis Khan

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:22 pm

So...Why Dschinghis Khan / Genghis Khan? ???

And is it true that Rob Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli) once was member of this band?

Written By: Dylan Baranski on 09/20/07 at 5:01 pm

That was also the name of their first song. They were founded by producer Ralph Siegel in 1979 to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest. They placed 4 out of 20, and the song became a classic.

No, Rob Pilatus was not a member of the band. The lineup is as follows (birth & death dates in parentheses):

-Louis Hendrik Potgieter (1951-1993)
-Steve Bender (1946-2006)
-Wolfgang Heichel (1950-)
-Henriette Heichel (1953-)
-Leslie Mándoki (1953-)
-Edina Pop (1941-)

Notes on lineup:

-Louis Hendrik Potgieter is sometimes known as Patrick Bailey.

-Steve Bender left the group in 1981 due to back pain, but rejoined them for a reunion performance at the Olympiyski arena on October 17, 2005.

-Henriette Heichel was originally born Henriette Strobel, but was married in 1976 to Wolfgang Heichel.

-Edina Pop was originally born Marika Kesmarki.

-Steve Bender & Wolfgang Heichel were the only Germans in the group. Louis Hendrik Potgieter was South African, Henriette Heichel was Dutch, & Leslie Mándoki & Edina Pop were Hungarian.

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 5:11 pm

That was also the name of their first song. They were founded by producer Ralph Siegel in 1979 to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest. They placed 4 out of 20, and the song became a classic.

I knew that... I also know they had an Australian #1 with "Moscow".  What I meant was: why are you a fan of this band? They're not at all popular in US.

No, Rob Pilatus was not a member of the band. The lineup is as follows (birth & death dates in parentheses):

-Louis Hendrik Potgieter (1951-1993)
-Steve Bender (1946-2006)
-Wolfgang Heichel (1950-)
-Henriette Heichel (1953-)
-Leslie Mándoki (1953-)
-Edina Pop (1941-)

Notes on lineup:

-Louis Hendrik Potgieter is sometimes known as Patrick Bailey.

-Steve Bender left the group in 1981 due to back pain, but rejoined them for a reunion performance at the Olympiyski arena on October 17, 2005.

-Henriette Heichel was originally born Henriette Strobel, but was married in 1976 to Wolfgang Heichel.

-Edina Pop was originally born Marika Kesmarki.

-Steve Bender & Wolfgang Heichel were the only Germans in the group. Louis Hendrik Potgieter was South African, Henriette Heichel was Dutch, & Leslie Mándoki & Edina Pop were Hungarian.

Hmmm... seems like I was misinformed then. Well, thanks anyway. :)

Written By: Dylan Baranski on 09/21/07 at 7:41 am

why are you a fan of this band? They're not at all popular in US.

I've been a fan of them ever since I heard the song "Moskau". On May 28 or so, I visited this website called www.funnyjunk.com, & I saw a video entitled "Moskau Moskau". Intrigued, I decided to check it out. When I saw it, I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever seen, with the funky disco instrumentation, the German lyrics, & the Russian-style dancing. However, that was the last I saw of it for a couple of months, until I was reading a Wikipedia article on internet phenomena sometime in August. I found Dschinghis Khan's name in that list, & I decided to read more. Up until this point, I'd only heard part of Moskau, but then I downloaded an MP3 of the full version (about 4:30). I also heard the song "Dschinghis Khan" on YTMND, and with each Dschinghis Khan song I heard, my love for the band grew even more. When I started writing parodies for AmIRight.com, I noticed that there was nothing for Dschinghis Khan, other than this misheard lyric (http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/dschingiskhan.shtml), so I decided to fill in the blanks. I submitted my first Moskau parody on October 3, 2006: (http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/dschinghiskhan0.shtml), which was basically like a loose translation of the original song with some parody lyrics. I also parodied 2 extended versions of Moskau, & I even wrote a French parody of Moskau. Aside from 1 parody by Mr. X & 1 parody by Susanna Viljanen, I'm the only person on AmIRight.com to write parodies of Dschinghis Khan.

So, if I'm ever remembered for anything in this community, it'll most likely be for introducing people to Dschinghis Khan.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 06/12/10 at 9:27 pm

Aside from 1 parody by Mr. X & 1 parody by Susanna Viljanen, I'm the only person on AmIRight.com to write parodies of Dschinghis Khan.

I parodied Moskau a while back.

Written By: Henk on 06/13/10 at 1:11 am

Their sole Top 40 hit in Holland was "Kaboutertjes", a Dutch version of "Klabautermann". I'm not sure if they recorded an English version too.

Klabautermann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMISjpmkkY

Kaboutertjes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzEK7-tqzeI

Anyone wants to try his hand on a parody...?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/09/10 at 8:58 pm

J-Pop girl group Berryz Kobo did a version of their self-titled song "Dschinghis Khan" with Japanese lyrics, censoring out the violent content and vodka. I'll try to get the vid up sometime, although I will warn you: CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

Check for new replies or respond here...