inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ask me anything about supply-side economics!

Written By: Tia on 09/25/07 at 5:48 pm

i'm alan "Tia" greenspan! i'll totally know the answer!

Subject: Re: ask me anything about supply-side economics!

Written By: Gis on 09/26/07 at 4:56 am

What exactly are supply-side economics?

Written By: Howard on 09/26/07 at 6:26 am

Why do they call it "supply-side"? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/07 at 6:04 pm

The call it "trickle down"  but most of us feel "trickled on"

Written By: La Roche on 09/26/07 at 6:17 pm

How do you believe 'Supply Side' Economics could have been implemented better regarding in particular the failure of demand management to stabilize Western economies in the stagflation of the 1970s, in the wake of the oil crisis?

Written By: Brigitte on 09/26/07 at 10:35 pm

I was interested, now not so much. Boring.

Written By: Tia on 09/27/07 at 5:05 am

okay. so, supply-side economics is when there's supply, and there's, like, the other thing? and you decide to root for supply vs. whatever that other thing is.

Written By: Gis on 09/27/07 at 6:24 am

You haven't got a clue have you? Be honest now............

Written By: Howard on 09/27/07 at 6:26 am

You're right Gis,he has no clue whatsoever. ::)

Written By: Tia on 09/27/07 at 6:29 am

you're all a bunch of keynesian demand-siders, aren't you? all up in your developmentalism and your horizontal integration and whatnot.  >:(

don't you know a rising tide lifts all boats?

Written By: Howard on 09/27/07 at 6:32 am

you're all a bunch of keynesian demand-siders, aren't you? all up in your developmentalism and your horizontal integration and whatnot.  >:(

don't you know a rising tide lifts all boats?

I have no clue what you just said.

Written By: Tia on 09/27/07 at 6:37 am

I have no clue what you just said.
keynesianism is the idea that a mixed economy founded on more even distribution of economic resources to the various strata of a civilian population and reasonable investment in public spending result in a more stable infrastructure and a higher quality of life, whereas milton friedman believed that reducing the role of the public sector and maximizing the role of private enterprise in providing public services for profit is the best way to a better society.

i just learned that many of the people in the bush administration are disciples of milton friedman. so's alan greenspan.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/07 at 6:38 am

keynesianism is the idea that a mixed economy founded on more even distribution of economic resources to the various strata of a civilian population and reasonable investment in public spending result in a more stable infrastructure and a higher quality of life, whereas milton friedman believed that reducing the role of the public sector and maximizing the role of private enterprise in providing public services for profit is the best way to a better society.

i just learned that many of the people in the bush administration are disciples of milton friedman. so's alan greenspan.

Ok,I understand now.

Written By: La Roche on 09/27/07 at 7:11 am

Ok,I understand now.

No you don't.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/07 at 7:28 am

No you don't.

I was just playing with him. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 09/27/07 at 7:42 am

I was just playing with him. ;)

But was he playing with you.. and does he play will with others.. and is the supply side approach morally reprehensible in regard to the enormous amount of capital that exits the U.S economy via private trade with overseas bodies?

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/27/07 at 4:55 pm

Dear Sir,

I'm poor :(

Is it my fault?

Written By: La Roche on 09/27/07 at 5:53 pm

Dear Sir,

Is it my fault?

I can answer this one.

Yes, of course, people choose to be poor.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/28/07 at 11:38 pm

i'm alan "Tia" greenspan! i'll totally know the answer!

How do you reconcile your 1960s position on the Gold standard (you were hanging out with Ayn Rand, and wrote "Gold and Economic Freedom", which made it into her "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" essay anthology) with your 1980s-2000s work at the Federal Reserve, working with what was, up until recently, the most important fiat currency on the planet?

For bonus points, was the whole 80s-00s stint at the Federal Reserve just your way of playing Francisco D'Anconia on us?  Your book-release tour comments on "intentional obfuscation" only make me ponder this more.

Sorry to be a pain, Al, but you didn't quite explain it in your recent book, and this is as close as I'll ever get to asking :)

"I've got the brains,
You've got the looks,
Let's make lots of money."
- Pet Shop Boys, and I wonder if they weren't part of it too.  Rand was kinda cute back in the day.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/07 at 6:42 am

I can answer this one.

Yes, of course, people choose to be poor.

And I choose to make loads of money! ;D

Written By: Tia on 10/03/07 at 6:21 pm

Dear Sir,

Is it my fault?
they talk about that in "shock doctrine," that naomi klein book. turns out it's milton friedman and kissinger's fault. then again, a lot of things are. i knew about kissinger but the number of fudgeed up things spawned by milton friedman was news to me.

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/03/07 at 6:55 pm

they talk about that in "shock doctrine," that naomi klein book. turns out it's milton friedman and kissinger's fault. then again, a lot of things are. i knew about kissinger but the number of fudged up things spawned by milton friedman was news to me.

This has not helped my situation,i'm still poor and i want to be rich,i thought you,Mr.Greenspan would give me some pointers... Should i just call Donald Trump,instead?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/03/07 at 10:02 pm

they talk about that in "shock doctrine," that naomi klein book. turns out it's milton friedman and kissinger's fault. then again, a lot of things are. i knew about kissinger but the number of fudged up things spawned by milton friedman was news to me.

They talk about that in Commanding Heights, the PBS documentary.  Turns out it's Milton Friedman's awesomeness.  Then again, a lot of things were.  But the link between Thatcher, Reagan, and  Walesa was news to me.  :)

Snark aside, if you want to understand the history of economic thought over the past century (principally the battle between Keynes and Friedman, which Friedman won in the 80s), visit the PBS website.  The entire six-hour series (!) is available for free (!!) download and viewing from the PBS site.  Whether you like Friedman or not, you'll at least understand what he was trying to do.  Shock therapy worked in Latin America.  It failed in Russia.  Venezuela's 180-degree turn towards the past is going to make it into the Zimbabwe of South America.

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 5:18 am

They talk about that in Commanding Heights, the PBS documentary.  Turns out it's Milton Friedman's awesomeness.  Then again, a lot of things were.  But the link between Thatcher, Reagan, and  Walesa was news to me.  :)
yeah, the klein book goes pretty well in depth into that too.

Snark aside, if you want to understand the history of economic thought over the past century (principally the battle between Keynes and Friedman, which Friedman won in the 80s), visit the PBS website.  The entire six-hour series (!) is available for free (!!) download and viewing from the PBS site.  Whether you like Friedman or not, you'll at least understand what he was trying to do.  this would be the same PBS with all the underwriting by the likes of boeing, lockheed martin and squibb? i'm sure that, paid for by the same companies who benefited from these usurious IMF policies, these documentaries would paint a fair and balanced picture of how they work. :P

oops. looks like it's my turn to be snarky. i haven't seen the special and don't know who underwrote it specifically, i know it comes in for some knocks in klein's book.

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 5:20 am

This has not helped my situation,i'm still poor and i want to be rich,i thought you,Mr.Greenspan would give me some pointers... Should i just call Donald Trump,instead?
my plan is to get rich with my new invention: a self-flipping frying pan. think about it, you got some bacon or a grilled cheese frying or whatever, and you press a button and there's a pop or a click or a whirring or something (this part i'm not entirely clear on) and presto! your food self-flips. i'll be rich! i'll cut you in for half. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/07 at 6:05 am

my plan is to get rich with my new invention: a self-flipping frying pan. think about it, you got some bacon or a grilled cheese frying or whatever, and you press a button and there's a pop or a click or a whirring or something (this part i'm not entirely clear on) and presto! your food self-flips. i'll be rich! i'll cut you in for half. :)

A self-flipping frying pan? Now,what will they think of next?  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 10/04/07 at 7:57 am

A self-flipping frying pan? Now,what will they think of next?  ::)

Not they, he.. Mike is a he.

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 7:58 am

let's stick with the idea that i'm a vague, sinister collective. i rather like that.

Written By: La Roche on 10/04/07 at 7:59 am

let's stick with the idea that i'm a vague, sinister collective. i rather like that.

I can dig it, there's a certain appeal.

I just like imagining you as Greenspan II. A kind of.. shorter, more hunched.. angrier greenspan.

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/04/07 at 8:30 pm

I'll wake you up with breakfast in bed every single day :) Can the Flippy make pancakes? I love pancakes!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/07 at 12:02 am

this would be the same PBS with all the underwriting by the likes of boeing, lockheed martin and squibb?

Exactly!

The "Commanding Heights" documentary skips a few things -- Klein, with the benefit of a few more years of history, picks up on the parts that "Commanding Heights" didn't anticipate. 

It's actually what I like about PBS.  Facts (be it Moyers, Expose', Frontline, and others ripping the lid off about how our tax dollars are being squandered in the defense industry, to the occasional NOVA special on what kinds of frickin'-cool toys we're getting in exchange for the fiscal abuse) first, politics last.

"Fair and balanced" is boring.  Bring the bias.  You can't get a complete picture without reading both sides of the story, because they both have something to say. 

Truth is a three-edged sword:  Your side, their side, and the truth.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/07 at 6:22 am

I'll wake you up with breakfast in bed every single day :) Can the Flippy make pancakes? I love pancakes!

How about some scrambled eggs? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...