inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best email services

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/07 at 6:12 pm

I'm dumping my hotmail account after 12 years.  Hotmail has become completely unreliable.  They don't do customer service, so the only way to vote is with my feet. 

What email services do you recommend?

The advantage of Yahoo and Hotmail is they're free, ubiquitous, and everybody knows them.  The drawback is the sites are flimsy and spammers prey on them.

Your thoughts?
???

Subject: Re: Best email services

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/30/07 at 6:14 pm

I have used Yahoo mail for many years now. I haven't had too many problems with them...yes, some spam...but I just either delete it or send it to the spam folder. Other than that...everything regarding my account there has been positive.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/07 at 7:39 pm

I have both Yahoo and Hotmail.

I agree that Hotmail can be problematic, I was starting a second account on another site(because I wanted two accounts) and it treated the emails to activate the account as possible spam. I did manage to finally get the activation email on Hotmail, which took several days.(I usually get my emails for activation within a couple of minutes, mainly on Yahoo)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/30/07 at 7:46 pm

I have my own special e-mail address on a local server. No spam, but it costs.

I also have a G-Mail account for sites I'm not so sure of (like if I sign up at a website with my email address that could possibly be littered with spam, I use my Gmail). I haven't touched Hotmail in years, and I deleted my Yahoo 2 years ago and went to Gmail.

I'd recommend G-mail.

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/07 at 7:53 pm

Hotmail sucks ass.  I had one, and I stopped using it cause the spam was just overtaking my account

I've used Yahoo! mail for a very long time now, and I really enjoy it.  It does have it's share of spam, but it's nothing compared to that of Hotmail.  The spam is easier to control/get rid of with Yahoo!

There's also GMail.  I've not used it myself, but I've heard alot of good things about it.  Apparently you get like a super size of MB storage, so you basically never have to worry about your inbox getting full

Written By: Howard on 10/31/07 at 6:28 am

How about Go.com,I've been using that for 8 years now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/07 at 6:57 am

I used Hotmail, and find no problems with it, all friendly mail to my Inbox and all junk to Junk.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/07 at 11:45 pm

I filtered all my spam into my junkmail box.  I had few complaints about Hotmail until they did something fancy to it, now I can't access it unless I erase all the cookies on my computer first.  That means I have to sign back into everything else too.  I've always known MSN was crap.  They change the basic setup for the first time in six years and it makes the service worse instead of better.  That just screams of incompetence.  They don't care if they're incompetent because they take suckers like me for granted.  Screw 'em, I'm gone. 

Yahoo has its problems, but I already have an account with them, so I'm just going to use that one.

Thanks for your input.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/05/07 at 5:04 pm

Well, I did it.  I switched to GMAIL today.  Goodbye Hotmail and good riddance. 

Sure, I've had the same account for 12 years, but it ain't like a dog or a woman.  No reason to get all sentimental about it!
;D

Written By: Howard on 08/28/10 at 6:53 am

I have a question,As of August 31st at midnight Go.com will be out of business after 10 years and that's how long I've used it for since I started in 2000,How can I forward all my email to Gmail since harvey3574@gmail.com will be my new service as of Tuesday,I can't seem to find that option. ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/28/10 at 9:19 pm

Much as it pains me to say it, just become one with the Borg.  Use gmail, and set it up with IMAP so you can access it through your preferred email client on whatever device you happen to be using.  If you must have web-based email, gmail beats all.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/10 at 6:58 am

Much as it pains me to say it, just become one with the Borg.  Use gmail, and set it up with IMAP so you can access it through your preferred email client on whatever device you happen to be using.  If you must have web-based email, gmail beats all.

Foo,What's an IMAP?  ???

I already forwarded my email addresses (Family,Friends) to gmail but now I'm going to have change my old email address from sites that I'm on and change it to Gmail like my Chase bank account and music sites as well,That I could do tomorrow.

Written By: karen on 08/29/10 at 9:20 am

Foo,What's an IMAP?  ???

I already forwarded my email addresses (Family,Friends) to gmail but now I'm going to have change my old email address from sites that I'm on and change it to Gmail like my Chase bank account and music sites as well,That I could do tomorrow.

Go to your old e-mail account.  Find an e-mail from a site you want to hear from, log into that site and then find your profile for that site.  Then you can change the e-mail there, you will probably need to enter the password for your log in to that site to let the change go through.  Then go back to your old e-mail account and find the next site.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/10 at 5:59 pm

Go to your old e-mail account.  Find an e-mail from a site you want to hear from, log into that site and then find your profile for that site.  Then you can change the e-mail there, you will probably need to enter the password for your log in to that site to let the change go through.  Then go back to your old e-mail account and find the next site.

I've been getting loads of junk mail.

Written By: Midas on 08/29/10 at 7:44 pm

I've had two yahell accounts haxx0r3d.  Sticking with gmail for now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/10 at 9:10 pm

I'm thinking of opening a gmail-on top of 3 yahoo addresses, and 1 comcast one.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/30/10 at 6:47 am

As of Wednesday I have a new email address.

Go.com will be permanently shutting down after 10 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/10 at 6:51 am

As of Wednesday my new email is....

Go.com will be permanently shutting down after 10 years.
Do you think it is wise to post you e-mail address openly online?

Written By: Howard on 08/30/10 at 7:52 am

Do you think it is wise to post you e-mail address openly online?

No.

Written By: karen on 08/30/10 at 9:29 am

I've been getting loads of junk mail.

So don't tell the junk mail senders your new e-mail address.

I am only going to tell friends my new e-mail account when I get it set up.  My old US account still works so all the facebook messages etc can go there!

Written By: Howard on 08/30/10 at 1:40 pm

So don't tell the junk mail senders your new e-mail address.

I am only going to tell friends my new e-mail account when I get it set up.  My old US account still works so all the facebook messages etc can go there!

I've been trying to get newsletters from bunnyranch.com and Penthouse to be sent to my gmail,I already did one of them.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/30/10 at 9:53 pm

Foo,What's an IMAP?  ???

IMAP is like POP3, but better.

But if you're willing to use your web browser as your only way of accessing your email, you don't need to worry about it. Just use the web interface.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/10 at 5:30 am

Just this morning I told the Bunnyranch webmaster to send all my email newsletters to be sent to gmail from now on.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/10 at 6:59 am

Now,this is weird,Go.com said it would shut down permanently as of August 31 at Midnight,I went on this morning to see if everything was officially gone,usually when a page is gone it would say '"Page Cannot Be Displayed" or The Page You're Trying To Reach Doesn't Exist Anymore so I went on and had some junk mail,Is that weird or what?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...