inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Job is in trouble

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 11/05/07 at 2:46 pm

I am a substitute custodian for the local school district and I have been kicked out of three schools for things that were mostly not my fault. My boss has to go through the assistant superintendant and explain my side of the story with him to get my job back. I could really use some help from you folks.

Subject: Re: Job is in trouble

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/05/07 at 6:39 pm

Sorry to hear that your job is in jeapordy; that's never easy.  My husband lost his job last week, so I can sympathize.  Hang in there!

Written By: karen on 11/05/07 at 7:49 pm

I am a substitute custodian for the local school district and I have been kicked out of three schools for things that were mostly not my fault. My boss has to go through the assistant superintendant and explain my side of the story with him to get my job back. I could really use some help from you folks.

Perhaps we need to know a little more of what happened to be able to help.

Is there a reason that things that are not your fault keep happening to you?  You might want to look at that.

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 11/05/07 at 8:56 pm

Perhaps we need to know a little more of what happened to be able to help.

Is there a reason that things that are not your fault keep happening to you?  You might want to look at that.

Here are the three schools I have been kicked out of:

1. Fort Wright Elementary- There are two or three things I have been accused of here. 1) Going into the girls bathroom in which the principal said there was two girls in but actually weren't. 2) Socializing with the secretary by asking her questions about her daughter and her yoga which was fairly normal. 3) Socializing with the preschool teachers about some fairly normal topics.

2. Simon Kenton High School- I have been kicked out of this for socializing with a bunch of girls of which I knew and someone accused me of sexually harassing them such as asking them on a date which I didn't do.

3. Woodland Middle School- Some students were running around the hallway and using the restrooms I was trying to clean up. I was yelling at them and was telling them to quit running around and use another restroom if they needed to use it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 9:07 pm

Here are the three schools I have been kicked out of:

1. Fort Wright Elementary- There are two or three things I have been accused of here. 1) Going into the girls bathroom in which the principal said there was two girls in but actually weren't. 2) Socializing with the secretary by asking her questions about her daughter and her yoga which was fairly normal. 3) Socializing with the preschool teachers about some fairly normal topics.

2. Simon Kenton High School- I have been kicked out of this for socializing with a bunch of girls of which I knew and someone accused me of sexually harassing them such as asking them on a date which I didn't do.

3. Woodland Middle School- Some students were running around the hallway and using the restrooms I was trying to clean up. I was yelling at them and was telling them to quit running around and use another restroom if they needed to use it.

not trying to sound rude..but did you ever think of maybe doing less socializing...and just focusing on your job? It seems like your socializing tends to get you in trouble (whether or not it was a good or bad thing).

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 11/05/07 at 9:36 pm

not trying to sound rude..but did you ever think of maybe doing less socializing...and just focusing on your job? It seems like your socializing tends to get you in trouble (whether or not it was a good or bad thing).

At many of the schools I've subbed at I was aloud to socialize some. Another issue is that at some of the schools in the district the principals will let the permanent custodians socialize but doesn't let the substitute ones. Same goes for permanent vs. substitute teacher assistants and permanent vs. substitute cafeteria workers.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 9:42 pm

At many of the schools I've subbed at I was aloud to socialize some. Another issue is that at some of the schools in the district the principals will let the permanent custodians socialize but doesn't let the substitute ones. Same goes for permanent vs. substitute teacher assistants and permanent vs. substitute cafeteria workers.

I know that some rules tend to really suck...but I have learned that the best thing to do at work..is just concentrate on your work. Do the best job that you can do..and then at the end of the workday..you can go home, relax..and be yourself. :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/07 at 10:07 pm

Unfortunately we're living in a different climate nowadays schools have to be extra careful with how the staff interacts and disiplines the students....

You're intentions may be nothing more than polite interest or general conversation- but it seems like you socialize a lot with females (and some students). Your intentions could be misread... especially since you are 20- its probably best to keep your conversations with the women brief and not talk the students at all... why invite trouble... :-\\

as for yelling at the kids - hey sometimes the best lessons are learned after the kids find themselves skidding across a wet floor head first into a wall  ;D...

it sucks that they would run across a floor you're mopping which means you have to do that area over but kids are too stupid to respect your hard work... I know I appreciate the work custodial staff does! So thank you for your hard work.... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

as for the kids getting hurt- let them run- left them fall... just make sure you place those caution wet floor signs in a highly visible area then you can easily defend yourself when they complain...if they are old enough to read and know better then you won't get into trouble.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/07 at 3:53 am

Have you considered private tutoring?

Written By: Howard on 11/06/07 at 6:48 am

So it was other people's fault?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 3:28 pm

Have you considered private tutoring?

uhm do custodians tutor??? ::)

Just kidding phil- I misread it at first tooo cuz i've never heard of a substitute custodian before.  Then I thought custodian could have been care giver but he was cleaning a restroom soooo....

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 4:32 pm

uhm do custodians tutor??? ::)

Just kidding phil- I misread it at first tooo cuz i've never heard of a substitute custodian before.  Then I thought custodian could have been care giver but he was cleaning a restroom soooo....

I expect Philip didn't know what a custodian did.  I know I didn't until recently.  In the UK we would call them the caretaker.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/07 at 4:32 pm

I expect Philip didn't know what a custodian did.  I know I didn't until recently.  In the UK we would call them the caretaker.
That is right I did not know.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/06/07 at 5:08 pm

The school has to provide an environment where students and the parents of those students feel it's a safe place for them to be. you're socializing may have been harmless, but parents will definitely not like it, especially if there are allegations of misconduct or inappropriate behavior. even if you're innocent, the allegations can't be ignored, true or false. If you're a single guy that likes girls, being a custodian in a school is not the place to interact with them. get a job somewhere else, like Starbucks or somewhere where interaction from employees is part of the scene. this is my opinion as a protective father of a teen girl.

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 9:52 pm

Yeah in the US a custodian can be a care taker or care giver but it is also the politically correct term for janitor. In this case the poster is working as a substitute janitor... I didn't know there was such a thing...

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 9:52 pm

The school has to provide an environment where students and the parents of those students feel it's a safe place for them to be. you're socializing may have been harmless, but parents will definitely not like it, especially if there are allegations of misconduct or inappropriate behavior. even if you're innocent, the allegations can't be ignored, true or false. If you're a single guy that likes girls, being a custodian in a school is not the place to interact with them. get a job somewhere else, like Starbucks or somewhere where interaction from employees is part of the scene. this is my opinion as a protective father of a teen girl.

well said

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 10:01 pm

Yeah in the US a custodian can be a care taker or care giver but it is also the politically correct term for janitor. In this case the poster is working as a substitute janitor... I didn't know there was such a thing...

In the UK the term caretaker is used instead of janitor.

(Are they all mild-mannered?)

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 10:57 pm

In the UK the term caretaker is used instead of janitor.

(Are they all mild-mannered?)

not in the US

Check for new replies or respond here...