inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about CANCON and/or Canadian Music

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/07 at 8:22 pm

Being Canadian, I am a big fan of CANCON and Canadian music, so go ahead and ask away :)

Here's a random fact you might not have known about:  Remember Tycoon?  They were an American rock band from New York City.  In 1979, they had a Top 40 hit (US #26 / CAN #40) called 'Such A Woman', a song that would become their only hit in the US Hot 100.  A follow-up single titled 'Slow Down Boy' was written by band members Michael Fonfara (who also co-wrote 'Such A Woman') and Mark Kreider, both of whom are Canadian born.  This in turn qualified 'Slow Down Boy' for CANCON and it spent 5 weeks in the Canadian Chart, only peaking at CAN #97

In an unrelated story, Tycoon's lead singer, American born Norman Mershon passed away on November 8, 2007 :(

Subject: Re: Ask me about CANCON and/or Canadian Music

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/13/07 at 2:49 pm

is CANCON still a requirement for the CBC?

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/07 at 6:29 pm

Requirement as in only Canadian Content on the CBC?  I don't know much about CBC Radio, but on CBC Television, they currently only air Canadian shows during their prime-time slots (7pm - 11pm) which they've been doing for many years now.  I believe it was sometime in the early 90s when they stopped airing US Network shows.  I know in the 80s, CBC aired many popular US shows in prime time .. I used to watch 'Dallas' and 'Newhart' on CBC

Another random fact:  All shows filmed in Canada must employ a certain percentage of Canadians both on and off-air in order to qualify for Canadian Content and to recieve government funding.  A prime example is the short-lived FOX series "Dark Angel", which was filmed entirely in Vancouver.  The show was co-created by Canadian-born director James Cameron and featured Canadian-born actor J.C. Mackenzie (who played "Normal") in a supporting role

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/13/07 at 8:03 pm

Requirement as in only Canadian Content on the CBC?  I don't know much about CBC Radio, but on CBC Television, they currently only air Canadian shows during their prime-time slots (7pm - 11pm) which they've been doing for many years now.  I believe it was sometime in the early 90s when they stopped airing US Network shows.  I know in the 80s, CBC aired many popular US shows in prime time .. I used to watch 'Dallas' and 'Newhart' on CBC

Another random fact:  All shows filmed in Canada must employ a certain percentage of Canadians both on and off-air in order to qualify for Canadian Content and to recieve government funding.  A prime example is the short-lived FOX series "Dark Angel", which was filmed entirely in Vancouver.  The show was co-created by Canadian-born director James Cameron and featured Canadian-born actor J.C. Mackenzie (who played "Normal") in a supporting role

well, I know for radio they used to mandate percentage of airplay devoted to CANCON...

The X-files filmed in Vancouver for several seasons... did that qualify before they moved it in the later years?

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/07 at 9:04 pm

well, I know for radio they used to mandate percentage of airplay devoted to CANCON...

Across Canada, it's 30% Cancon, though some radio programmers want it bumped down to 25%, which probably could happen.  Cancon over the years has had to change it's rules so many times to accomodate artists that didn't fit into the existing rules.  The first big change occured in 1991 when Bryan Adams' smash album 'Waking Up the Neighbours' was not recognized by CANCON because Adams co-wrote and recorded all the songs in England wth British record producer Mutt Lange. 

There are some radio stations who are reluctant to play alot of Canadian artists, so they work around the CANCON rule by playing songs written by Canadians, but not recorded by Canadians.  Such songs like 'Hold On' by Santana, 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot' by Pat Benatar or 'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth can be heard on many classic hits stations atleast once a day LOL

The X-files filmed in Vancouver for several seasons... did that qualify before they moved it in the later years?

The X-Files is highly regarded as a Canadian show, but officially it didn't qualify for full CANCON because the producers and production company of the show were American based, a same fate which fell on other shows filmed in Canada like other FOX series such as Millenium and Dark Angel (the latter being somewhat excluded).  However, because these shows were filmed in Canada and used Canadian actors as background cast (sometimes principle cast members as well), the Canadian networks that broadcast them could use them to help fulfill CANCON requirements for prime time television. 

35% of programming aired on Canadian networks between 6pm-12pm must be (somehow) Canadian, which is why alot of Canadian networks like CTV and Global often have news updates in between shows.  CBC doesn't need to do that because they only air Canadian shows during that time slot, so they can meet the CANCON requirements without using loopholes ;D

Another random fact:  Gillian Anderson married one of the Canadian-born producers of The X-Files while filming the series, and eventually gave birth a daughter while in Vancouver

Written By: Howard on 11/14/07 at 6:45 am

What does CANCON stand for? ???

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/07 at 9:47 am

What does CANCON stand for? ???

Canadian Content.  It's a rule in Canada that helps get Canadian TV shows/actors on the air and helps get Canadian Artists heard on the radio

Written By: Brigitte on 11/15/07 at 8:26 pm

What ever happened to the group April Wine? Are they still around and when did they record their last album?

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/07 at 12:36 am

What ever happened to the group April Wine? Are they still around and when did they record their last album?

They are definately still around, and they still tour across Canada.  They've had alot of live albums and compilations in recently years, but their last studio album was 'Roughly Speaking' in 2006.  However, their last studio album to have hits was 'Attitude' in 1993. 

During the 70s, April Wine had 21 hits in Canada, making them the 2nd Canadian band with most hits during that decade.  The Guess Who beat them, scoring 22 hits between 1970 and 1976

Year 1971 1972 1972 1972 1973 1973 1974 1974 1974 1975 197519751976197619761977197719781978197919791980 1980 1981 1981 1982 1982 1984 1985 1986 1993 1993 1993 1993

Song Title Fast Train You Could Have Been A Lady Bad Side of the Moon Drop Your Guns Lady Run, Lady Hide Weeping Widow Electric Jewels I'm on Fire For You Baby I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight is A Wonderful Time to Fall in Love Cum Hear the Band Oowatanite The Whole World's Goin' Crazy Gimme Love Like A Lover, Like A Song Forever For Now You Won't Dance With Me Rock and Roll is A Vicious Game Comin' Right Down on Top of Me Roller Get Ready For Love Say Hello I Like to Rock Just Between You and Me Sign of the Gypsy Queen Enough is Enough Tell Me Why This Could Be the Right One Rock Myself to Sleep Love Has Remembered Me If You Believe in Me Here's Looking at You Kid That's Love Voice in My Heart

CAN #40 #5 #16 #34 #19 #40 #84 #64 #17 #5 #29#11#5#33#49#45#6#27#46#24#79#34 #75 #6 #40 #8 #46 -- -- #89 #19 #80 #73 #35

US -- #32 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---- ------------#34----#86#21#57 #50 -- #58 -- -- -- -- -- --

UK -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ------------------------ #41 #52 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Written By: Brigitte on 11/19/07 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for the info on April Wine,

Now i want to know about "Trooper"

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/07 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info on April Wine,

Now i want to know about "Trooper"

Trooper originally called it quits in 1982 after less than spectacular sales of their 'Money Talks' album', but reformed in the late 80s.  Their last chart hit was 'American Dream' in 1991, but they still continue to tour.

All their hits for Canada and the USA ...

Trooper (1975)
1975 - Baby Woncha Please Come Home
1976 - General Hand Grenade

Two For the Show (1976)
1976 - Two For the Show
1977 - Santa Maria

Knock 'em Dead Kid (1977)
1977 - We're Here For A Good Time (Not A Long Time)
1978 - Oh, Pretty Lady

Thick as Thieves (1978)
1978 - Raise A Little Hell
1978 - Round Round We Go / Raise A Little Hell
1979 - The Moment That it Takes

Hot Shots (1979)
1979 - The Boys in the Bright White Sportscar

Flying Colours (1979)
1979 - 3 Dressed Up as 9
1980 - Janine
1980 - Good Clean Fun

Money Talks (1982)
1982 - Only A Fool

The Last of the Gypsies (1989)
1989 - Boy With A Beat
1989 - The Best Way (to Hold A Man)

Ten (1991)
1991 - American Dream

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/07 at 2:21 am

Another random fact:  Did you know that Superman is part Canadian?  The famous fictional superhero was co-created by Canadian cartoonist Joe Shuster.  Several Canadians have played major roles in Superman films ...

♦ In 'Superman: The Movie' (1978), the role of Jonathan Kent is portrayed by the late Glenn Ford.  This film and it's 3 sequels also feature Margot Kidder as Lois Lane.  The final in the series, titled 'Superman IV: The Quest For Peace' (1987) was directed by Sidney J. Furie

♦ The CW (formerly WB) series 'Smallville' is filmed in Vancouver, therefore several Canadian actors play (or have played) major roles ...
- Lana Lang is played by Kristin Kreuk
- Whitey Fordman (Lana's boyfriend in Season 1) was played by Eric Johnson
- Jimmy Olsen is played by Aaron Ashmore
- Lois Lane is played by Erica Durance
- Kara (aka Supergirl) is played by Laura Vandervoort

In some unrelated yet related notes ...

♦ Joe Shuster was/is the cousin of the late Frank Shuster, one half of the legendary Canadian comedy team Wayne and Shuster
♦ Aaron Ashmore is the twin brother of Shawn Ashmore, who plays Bobby Drake (Iceman) in The X-Men trilogy

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/20/07 at 9:23 pm

Canadian Content.  It's a rule in Canada that helps get Canadian TV shows/actors on the air and helps get Canadian Artists heard on the radio
Is it 25% of airplay like it is here for NZ artists?

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/07 at 11:17 pm

Is it 25% of airplay like it is here for NZ artists?

For now, it's 30%, but radio programmers want it bumped down to 25%.  They apparently have great difficulties filling that 30%

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/20/07 at 11:21 pm

For now, it's 30%, but radio programmers want it bumped down to 25%.  They apparently have great difficulties filling that 30%
Much the same here. Alternative & university stations manage a whopping 40% or more. The ones opposed to the 25% quota are the big commercial stations.

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/07 at 11:35 pm

Much the same here. Alternative & university stations manage a whopping 40% or more. The ones opposed to the 25% quota are the big commercial stations.

Wow!  40%.  It seems like in most countries, the Alt and Uni/College radio stations tend to play alot more homegrown artists than opposed to what's in the Top 40

Alot of the artists I hear on college radio stations I've never heard of.  It's a good way for local and unknown artists to get their music out.  I wish mainstream stations would do that more often, but it seems like the majority only care about what's popular only :(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/21/07 at 12:44 am

Wow!  40%.  It seems like in most countries, the Alt and Uni/College radio stations tend to play alot more homegrown artists than opposed to what's in the Top 40
I'm surprised there's enough NZ music to fill up that percentage. (remember there's only about 4.2 million NZers)

Anyway, any good new Canadian artists/bands I should know about that you can recommend?

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/07 at 11:33 pm

I'm surprised there's enough NZ music to fill up that percentage. (remember there's only about 4.2 million NZers)

I was gonna ask if there were a good chunk of NZ artists.  When I think of bands from NZ, I only know The Finn Brothers and related projects (Split Enz, Crowded House)

Anyway, any good new Canadian artists/bands I should know about that you can recommend?

Lots of Canadian goodies in our charts within the last few years.  Of these following hits, Jully Black is R&B and Bedouin Soundclash are reggae/pop.  The rest are all rock ...

State of Shock - Money Honey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsSDnbawRM

Jully Black - Seven Day Fool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlUe-bSEMg

Suzie McNeil - Believe (She was a runner up on 'Rock Star: INXS')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvpePY8BKU

Bedouin Soundclash - Walls Fall Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW8_fym_MTI

Faber Drive - Tongue Tied
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-spN2nVwAc

Hedley - She's So Sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6p-l3IrRQ

Mobile - Montreal Calling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8v6yeJxJi8

Mobile - Out of My Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxkNLkpZsFU

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGCT4AQIR0

Check for new replies or respond here...