inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Hawk About: Hawk- Redux

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/10/07 at 3:47 am

I have returned, and I see that there are many new members who have joined our happy little colony.
I also see many old friends, and I know both sides have questions for me, yes?

Therefore: let us revive the "AHAH" thread!

As always, I shall answer your questions!

Subject: Re: Ask Hawk About: Hawk- Redux

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/07/08 at 3:04 pm

This is in response to Snozberries' post about embarassing moments:

I am to post 3 of them.

EMBARASSING MOMENT #1:

Glancing through a photo album at my in-law's place, I saw an older photo of someone I could not identify.
Of course, I was being told about "Uncle So-and-so", and "Great Grandmother Such-and-such".
Seeing this particular picture, which was of someone rather rugged-looking, I asked my wife "Who's this guy?"

My father-in-law looks at the picture, and replies- "That's my mother."
He and my wife laughed about it, but I was beet-red. Nothing like making a disparaging-yet-totally innocent remark about a relative to make ya feel welcome! :-[

EMBARASSING MOMENT #2:

OK, so I'm doing entertainment at this bar, and it's during the Christmas Season. So I get asked to dress up as Santa Claus, and silly me- I say OK.

I get changed into the costume, come out, and as I sit down at my post, I hear this awful RRRRRRRRRIPPP!
I move ever-so-slightly, and realize my pants had just ripped quite extensively. This may not have been so bad, except that at the time, due to the nature of the costume, I wasn't able to wear underwear.
....Needless to say, I was politely requesting staff members to bring my drinks to me.
....Also needless to say, that was the last time I EVER played Santa, for anybody!

EMBARASSING MOMENT #3

You ever get caught in a moment where all eyes were on you, everyone was waiting to hear what you had to say, and just as you go to speak into the microphone..............you cut a nasty one?
Try doing this during a Speech & Debate match, when you reach the finals!

The room was filled, and I had finally reached the Finals in Debate.
I was creaming my opponent, and it came time for me to have a final Rebuttal to his argument.
I opened up my mouth to deliver, and........BRRRRRRFFFFTTTTTT

The microphone was so sensitive, it picked it right up, for all 250 people to hear crisp and clear.
My opponent laughed so hard, he peed all over himself.
The Judge laughed so hard, she ripped the Judge's Sheet.
Oddly enough, I lost that round.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:25 pm

great!!! Thanks for sharing... sorry you had to do three but like I said I needed to build up to my truly embarrassing moment.

Have you always lived in Cali?  and if so have you lived in other Cali cities (towns - whatever)  Where is your favorite place on earth...yes it has to be on this planet.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:37 pm

Okay, I'll bite... who's Bob Nelson?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/07/08 at 10:28 pm

Have you always lived in Cali?  and if so have you lived in other Cali cities (towns - whatever)   Where is your favorite place on earth...yes it has to be on this planet.

No, I have only lived in Cali since 1995.
I first moved to Elverta, then Antelope, then Sacramento, then Oroville.
I moved to this state from Kentucky.
I'm originally from Virginia. (Red Ant's home state)

As for my favorite place on Earth- I can't honestly answer that, since I haven't visited everywhere on Earth.
However, favorite places where I have been include:

-Pismo Beach (I SO wanna be there, for the "All You Can Eat" Clambake!
-Switzerland (The quaint village across the lake from Montreaux was so charming and clean!)
-Euclid, OH. (My favorite uncle lived there, and I remember an amusement park there)
-Elko, NV. (Not much to look at, but the Ruby Mountains are quite stunning- especially at dusk!)

Okay, I'll bite... who's Bob Nelson?

This jackass thinks he's the best thing in DJ/Karaoke business since sliced bread.
In fact, he thinks he's the best in EVERYTHING since sliced bread.
He also likes to put everyone down who is more talented/successful/financially stable than he is.

"Bobo" Nelson (not to be confused with "Bobo", the Online member) is also a known thief, a pathological liar, and seems to have a chronic bed-wetting problem. This explains why he smells of beer 'n urine.
He has tried to run me out of business basically since I started. He has tried ever tactic he can think of, including trying to run me off the road in a vehicle, and then turning around and claiming the exact opposite. Any story he relates will always come out the same fashion- with him as the martyr/victim/good guy.

Frankly, if he gets in my face just one more time, I will most likely not be responsible for my actions, because I view him the same way I view a pedophile.

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/08 at 1:38 am

No, I have only lived in Cali since 1995.
I first moved to Elverta, then Antelope, then Sacramento, then Oroville.
I moved to this state from Kentucky.
I'm originally from Virginia. (Red Ant's home state)

As for my favorite place on Earth- I can't honestly answer that, since I haven't visited everywhere on Earth.
However, favorite places where I have been include:

-Pismo Beach (I SO wanna be there, for the "All You Can Eat" Clambake!
-Switzerland (The quaint village across the lake from Montreaux was so charming and clean!)
-Euclid, OH. (My favorite uncle lived there, and I remember an amusement park there)
-Elko, NV. (Not much to look at, but the Ruby Mountains are quite stunning- especially at dusk!)

This jackass thinks he's the best thing in DJ/Karaoke business since sliced bread.
In fact, he thinks he's the best in EVERYTHING since sliced bread.
He also likes to put everyone down who is more talented/successful/financially stable than he is.

"Bobo" Nelson (not to be confused with "Bobo", the Online member) is also a known thief, a pathological liar, and seems to have a chronic bed-wetting problem. This explains why he smells of beer 'n urine.
He has tried to run me out of business basically since I started. He has tried ever tactic he can think of, including trying to run me off the road in a vehicle, and then turning around and claiming the exact opposite. Any story he relates will always come out the same fashion- with him as the martyr/victim/good guy.

Frankly, if he gets in my face just one more time, I will most likely not be responsible for my actions, because I view him the same way I view a pedophile.

well if you don't like him he must be an ass so I hate him too..... I have no independent thought... I like you so I hate who you hate.... LET ME AT HIM!!!!

Hmmm Pismo... only 90 minutes (give or take away from me.... We really should try to get a west coast gathering going on. . . The problem is do we do that in SO Cal, Nor Cal or Central Cal doesn't matter to me I have friends all across the state so its win ~ win ~ win for me....

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/08/08 at 5:30 am

Hmmm Pismo... only 90 minutes (give or take away from me.... We really should try to get a west coast gathering going on. . . The problem is do we do that in SO Cal, Nor Cal or Central Cal doesn't matter to me I have friends all across the state so its win ~ win ~ win for me....

Suggestion: I would feel most comfortable with a place like Sacramento, or Davis.
I know many people there, and lived there once (Melissa lived in Natomas), so I think that would be a good place for it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/08/08 at 5:30 am

Suggestion: I would feel most comfortable with a place like Sacramento, or Davis.
I know many people there, and lived there once (Melissa lived in Natomas), so I think that would be a good place for it.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/08 at 6:22 am

How much does a karaoke machine cost?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/08/08 at 6:56 pm

How much does a karaoke machine cost?

Depends on 2 things:

1. What style of machine you want- home system, or more professional.
2. Do you want a whole system, or just certain components?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/19/08 at 1:54 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_Beach_Park

Unfortunately, they closed the park in 1969, with only a few landmarks remaining.  It is a mobile home park now.

Truthfully, even the huge park (Geauga Lake) which was within driving distance is closed now (as of last year).  So sad. 

Written By: Howard on 01/19/08 at 3:27 pm

Does your throat hurt when singing karaoke? ???

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/19/08 at 4:37 pm

Does your throat hurt when singing karaoke? ???

Only if I try to do a song that is too gruff for me, or if I'm sick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/08 at 5:39 pm

What does Hullama mean?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/24/08 at 4:08 am

What does Hullama mean?

Back when Dominic was in his "heavy Llama" phase, he used the following in the line under his avatar:

"Hullo! Or...Hullama!"

So, this is kind of a joke on Dom. A good, harmless joke.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 4:15 am

Back when Dominic was in his "heavy Llama" phase, he used the following in the line under his avatar:

"Hullo! Or...Hullama!"

So, this is kind of a joke on Dom. A good, harmless joke.
Thank you for the extra info.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/09/08 at 5:48 am

I am awaiting questions, as it were.

Written By: adagio on 03/09/08 at 1:02 pm

ok...when you're online again, Wayne. this is a question about avatars.  I already know how to put one in, but there is one that I really like but wondered if it had any special meaning, like to same-sex people or any other type of group. It's a fantasy fairie.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/adagio_photos/fairies/fantasie-elfe-fee_322.gif

Thanks  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/09/08 at 2:20 pm

Concerning your "Fantasy Fairy":

I don't know of any 'hidden' meaning behind that one.
Even if there were, would that diminish the fact that you like it so much?

People like rainbows, because they are kind of mystical in a way.
Rainbows have also come to stand for "The Rainbow Coalition".
Doesn't change the fact that people like rainbows, anyway.

I say- go ahead 'n use it.

Written By: adagio on 03/09/08 at 2:49 pm

Ok. ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/09/08 at 4:38 pm

what's your favorite novel?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/08 at 7:38 pm

ok...when you're online again, Wayne. this is a question about avatars.  I already know how to put one in, but there is one that I really like but wondered if it had any special meaning, like to same-sex people or any other type of group. It's a fantasy fairie.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/adagio_photos/fairies/fantasie-elfe-fee_322.gif

Thanks  :)

I love that fairy..I once contemplated getting a tattoo of that particular one...but I've decided that once I do...I found one that I like even better.

Anyway...for Wayne:

Do you have any tattoos? If so...what are they? If not....what would you get if you decided to get one?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/10/08 at 4:01 am

what's your favorite novel?

Hmmmmm.....novels.....

There are several that I rank very highly:

-The Canterbury Tales: Chaucer
-Les Miserables: V. Hugo
-Dune: F. Herbert
-Nine Princes In Amber: R. Zelazny
-Don Quixote de la Mancha: M. Cervantes
-Le Morte d'Arthur: Sir T. Mallory

I can't rank one above another, but I find these particularly fascinating.

Do you have any tattoos? If so...what are they? If not....what would you get if you decided to get one?

At current, I have no tattoos.
But if/when I get any, there will be 2:

-An aerial view of a purple frog on my left shoulder
-A neon, tubular-like "T" in a circle on my right shoulder

The purple frog is my SCAvian Household crest.
The "T" represents The Tubes, in their best years.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/08 at 5:48 am

What's your favorite vacation spot?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/10/08 at 1:11 pm

What's your favorite vacation spot?

I think this was asked once before, but I am happy to answer again, as my answer may have changed.

So far, my favorite vacation spot is Pismo Beach.
We took Teela there for Easter vacation a few years back, and it was far more relaxing than I expected.
I LOVE the smell of a fresh ocean breeze.

There are many places I would love to vacation at:
-Jamaica
-Ireland
-Scotland
-The Bahamas (I was there performing in 1992, and I want to go back!)
-Barbados
-The Netherlands (!)

Among others.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/08 at 2:37 pm

Would you like to come and visit New York one day? ???

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/10/08 at 5:53 pm

Would you like to come and visit New York one day? ???

Actually, yes- there are parts of NY I would like to visit:

-Albany
-NYC...being a city boy, I would LOVE to stay somewhere like the Waldorf-Astoria.
-Staten Island
-White Plains
-Red Hook

However, there is one area I DON'T want to visit:
-Central Park

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/08 at 9:09 pm

If you became famous would you let me come see you when you performed on:

Oprah
The View
or Ellen?

and would you introduce me to the host(s) and other famous guests?

Would you introduce me to your famous friends so that I could keep expanding my photo album?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/10/08 at 10:25 pm

If you became famous would you let me come see you when you performed on:

Oprah
The View
or Ellen?

and would you introduce me to the host(s) and other famous guests?
Would you introduce me to your famous friends so that I could keep expanding my photo album?

If I ever performed on any of those shows, I could TRY and introduce you...'course, Eleen may take a shine to you...you know how she is. "Wanna hear me do Dory, from "Finding Nemo"?"

As for any famous friends I might have- I would reserve discretion on who to introduce you to.
I wouldn't want you to be introduced, and then have them end up being rude to you.
Therefore, Fee Waybill would probably be out, but the rest of The Tubes would be OK.
Others- sure....

Written By: adagio on 03/13/08 at 11:40 pm

You promised never to say no.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/14/08 at 12:45 am

You promised never to say no.

First- that's a statement, not a question.

Second- remind me when I did that.

Written By: adagio on 05/22/08 at 1:51 pm

It's been so long ago, I forgot.  Must not be important....nm. ;D 8)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/23/08 at 2:38 am

It's been so long ago, I forgot.  Must not be important....nm. ;D 8)

OK, then.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/08 at 5:50 pm

Well, then..... ;D

I see that my autobiography is ready to publish, after I trim a few thousand pages.... :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 6:43 pm

lol  Not quite so fast there...

Have you always liked to sing?  Were you in choir in school?  Do you remember when you first started singing solo in front of an audiance?

Written By: adagio on 06/29/08 at 7:41 pm

Have you always liked to sing?  Were you in choir in school?  Do you remember when you first started singing solo in front of an audiance?

singing solo!  must be brave....lol

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/08 at 8:36 pm

Yes, I have always liked singing.
My grandmother would tell me that she had never seen a child sing as much as I did, heaven rest her.

I was in Choir throughout school. When I was in HS, I was in "Skyfire"- a Performance Show Choir.
We were called that, because not only did we put on a couple of productions throughout the year, but we also performed to earn money to travel abroad- with them, I went to Switzerland, France, and the Bahamas. We also performed in Orlando, @ Walt Disney World.

My first memories of singing solo were onstage in my Mom's act.
I used to sing many songs, but the only one I remember fully is "Take This Job & Shove It".
That one brought the house down every time!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 10:39 pm

Do you have any pictures of your mom online doing her act?

Have you ever thought of going into the impersonation business?  When did your mom retire from her act?

Did you have any role models from your childhood? 

What was your favorite class at school?  Favorite grade?  Favorite teacher?  Any happy memories from school?

Written By: adagio on 06/29/08 at 11:53 pm

Yes, I have always liked singing.
My grandmother would tell me that she had never seen a child sing as much as I did, heaven rest her.

I was in Choir throughout school. When I was in HS, I was in "Skyfire"- a Performance Show Choir.
We were called that, because not only did we put on a couple of productions throughout the year, but we also performed to earn money to travel abroad- with them, I went to Switzerland, France, and the Bahamas. We also performed in Orlando, @ Walt Disney World.

My first memories of singing solo were onstage in my Mom's act.
I used to sing many songs, but the only one I remember fully is "Take This Job & Shove It".
That one brought the house down every time!

Such good memories for you!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/30/08 at 3:55 pm

I've always thought that America was too young for someone who really likes history.  I look at places in Europe and some buildings are over 700 years old.  Beside America doesn't have castles like Europe.  Do you feel as someone who is interested in the Renaissance period that sometimes America just doesn't cut it?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/01/08 at 3:57 am

Do you have any pictures of your mom online doing her act?
Have you ever thought of going into the impersonation business?  When did your mom retire from her act?

Did you have any role models from your childhood? 
What was your favorite class at school?  Favorite grade?  Favorite teacher?  Any happy memories from school?

If you look in the "Show Us What You Look Like" thread, you will see at least one of my mother during a show.
Unfortunately, I don't know if any of her old pics are stored on the computer, and she took her Scrapbook w/her, upon moving.

I never really thought seriously about being an "impersonator" or "look-alike", because I never thought of myself as a Lounge Lizard.
Besides, I don't know who I would ape.

Role models from my childhood.....Peter Gabriel, for one. His political views mirror my own, rather closely.
My least favorite class in school- ANY year- was Math. I still have a time with it.
My favorite years were my HS yrs. My favorite teacher (RIP) was my Freshman/Senior English teacher, Neil Fockler.
He was a good teacher, and a heck of person. I miss him, and think of him fairly often.

As for happy memories from school- not really, save for my Senior Prom. I had a new girlfriend, who was 25- 8 yrs., older than I was.
We got there fashionably late, and as a result, I didn't have to pay for us to get in.
I ended up being the envy of the Prom. Later on, people were asking me if she was a model, or Centerfold or something.
-Yes, I have to admit, it was most gratifying.

Such good memories for you!

I definitely had some good memories from those days.
I recall a contest between Kenny Price & one of the "Hillbilly Heaven" roadies, as to who could eat the most Buffalo Wings.
Something to the tune of $5,000 got bet on, that night.
I also remember being driven around in a black Trans-Am by the Owner's daughter, Sherrie.
-Not bad, for a 4 yr. old!  8)

I've always thought that America was too young for someone who really likes history.  I look at places in Europe and some buildings are over 700 years old.  Beside America doesn't have castles like Europe.  Do you feel as someone who is interested in the Renaissance period that sometimes America just doesn't cut it?

Perhaps, but I feel that America has its own history. Each country does, you know.
For example, I have always wanted to trace the route of "The Underground Railroad". I find that particularly fascinating.
I would also like to see my Home State again, which is Virginia. Just because America isn't as "old" as Britain, or Holland, or other places, doesn't make it any less fascinating.
Look at Australia- they are even "younger" than America is, and they are utterly amazing, at the history they possess.

I think what it boils down to is this: Depending on which aspects of history you study, that helps to determine what countries and cultures fascinate you.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/01/08 at 8:12 am

You do have valid points.  I do like American History being the Civil War buff that I am.  If you want to retrace the underground railroad you really should visit Lancaster PA.  PA congressman Thaddeus Stevens' house was a stop on the railroad. 

As for Virgina, Jamestown is a "must see".  They still have one or two of the building from the colony still standing.
Roaoake is really neat.  They have a play that they put on about the "Lost Colony".
Williamsburg during Christmas time is absolutely dreamlike.
Then of course you have the Civil War battlefields. :)

Hope you get to Virgina soon.  You'll love it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/01/08 at 2:52 pm

You do have valid points.  I do like American History being the Civil War buff that I am.  If you want to retrace the underground railroad you really should visit Lancaster PA.  PA congressman Thaddeus Stevens' house was a stop on the railroad. 

As for Virgina, Jamestown is a "must see".  They still have one or two of the building from the colony still standing.
Roaoake is really neat.  They have a play that they put on about the "Lost Colony".
Williamsburg during Christmas time is absolutely dreamlike.
Then of course you have the Civil War battlefields. :)

Hope you get to Virgina soon.  You'll love it.

What got me started on the "Underground Railroad" was helping a friend do a paper on Harriet Tubman.
I am also one who studies strategy. Therefore, Battles are also of interest to me.

As for Virginia- I was born in Woodbridge.
I have early memories of Virginia Beach (my brother got stung by a jellyfish there), Chincoteague Beach, and I think Roanoke.

I would also like to visit Salem, MA. and see where the Witch Trials took place.

Written By: seamermar on 08/03/08 at 11:40 am

In this site I have a lot of  friend-crop to harvest
I think, Hawk, a way much more than I could take.
but the challenge seems far and away the best ever
and I'll keep an eye  in the 00s  for my own sake.

Have you read the whole Quixotte Hawktheslayer ?
I wonder if
you have actually forgot to put Spain among your favourites places to go on vacation ?
or don't you really wanna go and know the land of knights and wind mills , where wandered the slimest sad shaped anybody ever had ?

I must to admit I read it  by hits not all in a row
and I still keep on reading it for long.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/08 at 2:47 pm

I actually came across the Harvard edition of "Don Quixote de la Mancha", when I was helping to clean an apartment.
It now sits in a place of honor on my bookshelf.

I am reading it bit-by-bit, in order to enjoy the full mental concepts.

As for visiting Spain, I don't know much about the land itself.
Not having been there, I don't know.

I did have a friend in HS, who was a foreign exchange student from Zamora, who shared my Government class with me.
And when I was a child, I had a few friends who were Basque.

Just a few nights ago, I fixed some authentic Spansih food, for dinner- Pollo al Chilindron.
So, perhaps part of me does want to visit, and I just haven't fully realized it yet.

I do enjoy learning about other cultures.

Written By: seamermar on 08/03/08 at 7:42 pm

From now on you've got a link to this land of mine.
I'm willing and confident to learn from "the people's mouth" how real life's about
much better than what you can read in news and books.
It's marvelous the way you can learn about in the 00s, from people's keyboard !!
Alas, I got a lot to improve to take all the juice out the fruit,
but I got the time till the reckoning day to cross the "t"s and doc the "i"s
as for the words' sound this is another challenge to deal with  ::)

By by now...bacalao  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...