inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone here done their tax returns yet?(U.S.)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/20/08 at 2:21 pm

I just need to know, because my dad heard from someone that you couldn't do it until February this year.

Subject: Re: Has anyone here done their tax returns yet?(U.S.)

Written By: karen on 01/20/08 at 2:36 pm

As is usual for a governmental website the IRS site was less than helpful.  Lots of places tell you what to do to ask for an extension or what happens when you file late but nothing about when you can file or what the due date might be!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/08 at 2:57 pm

I think what this is about has to do with the fact that the latest a company can send out W2s is Jan. 31th. If you don't have your W2, you can't file.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/08 at 3:43 pm

It all depends on when you get all the information together.  Once you have it all you can do it, the earliest is Jan 1, the latest is April 15th

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/08 at 4:30 pm

It all depends on when you get all the information together.  Once you have it all you can do it, the earliest is Jan 1, the latest is April 15th

Well, you can do it later than April 15th-either get an extension or pay the late fees.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/20/08 at 5:33 pm

I've never heard of a problem with filing early.  I usually don't even see all my W-2s until the middle of February anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 5:57 pm

It is the same over in the UK for the self-employed, but when you are unemployed it does not really matter.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/20/08 at 7:26 pm

As is usual for a governmental website the IRS site was less than helpful.  Lots of places tell you what to do to ask for an extension or what happens when you file late but nothing about when you can file or what the due date might be!

I went there before hand and agree with you on that.

While I haven't got my W-2, my dad's(Which came to my address because he lives with others, but are not their address) came not too long ago. But he heard something about not being allowed to file until February from someone.

I think what this is about has to do with the fact that the latest a company can send out W2s is Jan. 31th. If you don't have your W2, you can't file.

Cat

I think the person who told him about that might have been thinking of what you said.

That's what I thought as well.... I wished mine would have already showed up, I would have gotten them done by now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/20/08 at 9:43 pm

I just need to know, because my dad heard from someone that you couldn't do it until February this year.

You can if you're far enough under the AMT threshold that you aren't going to benefit from the temporary hike in the AMT ceiling.  Congress, being the bunch of f((CENSORED-BY-ORDER-OF-DEPARTMENT-OF-PUBLIC-MORALITY))ards that they are, changed the laws at the last minute, and the "until February" bit means that it'll take at least that long for the tax software folks (and more importantly, the IRS) to crank out the new forms and (on the IRS' side) update its internal software to process the returns.

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 9:48 pm

Dang, thanks for reminding me Stephen, I need to call my previous employer and get my W2.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/21/08 at 2:01 pm

You can if you're far enough under the AMT threshold that you aren't going to benefit from the temporary hike in the AMT ceiling.  Congress, being the bunch of f((CENSORED-BY-ORDER-OF-DEPARTMENT-OF-PUBLIC-MORALITY))ards that they are, changed the laws at the last minute, and the "until February" bit means that it'll take at least that long for the tax software folks (and more importantly, the IRS) to crank out the new forms and (on the IRS' side) update its internal software to process the returns.

Well, if that's the case... It looks like I'll be having a reconnection done on my phone and internet(Since I won't be able to pay the previosu bill bill by the 30th of this month). :(

This crap shouldn't be happening to me... If only my mom didn't get evicted last year! After that happened, things got worse.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/22/08 at 3:42 pm

He got his taxes done...

So I'll be fine now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/23/08 at 12:27 am

Well, if that's the case... It looks like I'll be having a reconnection done on my phone and internet(Since I won't be able to pay the previosu bill bill by the 30th of this month). :(

Naaw, the IRS doesn't work that way.  Emergencies on your part don't constitute emergencies on their part.  Lack of planning on Congress' part does constitute an emergency on your part :)

Actually, to get serious for a bit -- file for an extension.  I don't know about extensions for quarterly tax reports, but everyone (everyone) can get at least a 90-day extension from the April 15 deadline by simply asking for it.  (I believe it's form 4868, but don't quote me on that.)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/23/08 at 6:21 pm

Naaw, the IRS doesn't work that way.  Emergencies on your part don't constitute emergencies on their part.  Lack of planning on Congress' part does constitute an emergency on your part :)

Actually, to get serious for a bit -- file for an extension.  I don't know about extensions for quarterly tax reports, but everyone (everyone) can get at least a 90-day extension from the April 15 deadline by simply asking for it.  (I believe it's form 4868, but don't quote me on that.)

I got the bill paid, my dad got his done and gave me the money to pay it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/25/08 at 4:37 pm

For those who want an easy site to use, I recommend the following:

www.freetaxusa.com

I have used this site 2 years running, and I think it's marvellous.

It calculates your taxes while you do them, lets you review your form prior to sending them off, and it's totally free, as far as your Federal Tax filing goes.
It does offer other packages, to do State filing, etc.

I have never had to pay back the IRS at any point.
I also tend to error on my taxes, usually about $500 or so in my favor.

Give it a try!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/08 at 6:07 am

I did Turbo Tax.  The return is in the mail  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/08 at 6:58 am

How many days left now?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/08 at 7:13 am

How many days left now?

April 15th is the end date

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/08 at 7:16 am

April 15th is the end date
Plenty of time!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/08 at 9:48 am

Plenty of time!

It is good to get it done sooner.  If you wait until the 15th and are getting a refund it may not arrive until August.  If you get it in now you can get it in about 2 months.

Written By: Paul on 01/27/08 at 11:50 am

I'd imagine tax regimes are the same the whole world over insofar as...

If you were to make an error, or be the slightest bit late in paying...you'd be liable for a walloping great charge... :o

Yet sadly, it doesn't work the same way if bureaucracy makes the balls-up... ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/27/08 at 12:08 pm

I'd imagine tax regimes are the same the whole world over insofar as...

If you were to make an error, or be the slightest bit late in paying...you'd be liable for a walloping great charge... :o

Yet sadly, it doesn't work the same way if bureaucracy makes the balls-up... ::)

Yep!  Pretty disgusting, isn't it?!!  ::)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/28/08 at 2:26 am

And to think, in the beginning- Taxes were supposed to be voluntary.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/29/08 at 9:53 pm

And to think, in the beginning- Taxes were supposed to be voluntary.

Yep, you get your check... money gone.

As Chris Rock said, that's a jack.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/30/08 at 12:13 am

Yep, you get your check... money gone.

As Chris Rock said, that's a jack.

Even better: to quote Mike Ditka- "Who you crappin'?"

Subject: Re: Has anyone here done their tax returns yet?(U.K.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/08 at 9:42 am

From The Times Online

Tax website crashes hours before deadline

Tens of thousands of taxpayers are being prevented from filing their tax returns before tonight's deadline because HM Revenue & Customs' online filing system has failed.

HMRC denied the site had crashed because high numbers of people were trying to use it, saying it was an "islolated and temporary" problem that emerged this morning.

A message on its website says: "The Self Assessment on line system is temporarily unavailable to some customers. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are working to restore the service as soon as possible."

Those who fail to complete and file their return by midnight tonight face a fine of £100 and 5 per cent interest charges on the tax owed. HMRC has not yet said whether it will still be applying this fine given the difficulties with its website.

This comes after a troubled year for self-assessment taxpayers. About five million taxpayers recieved their tax returns a month late last year after HMRC said it was experiencing "production issues".

Taxpayers who download tax software from a private company can still file online, but they have to pay for the software.

Grant Johnston, co-founder of Legatio, which makes Ftax self-assessment software, said: “Our system is still online and submitting tax returns, as the Government Gateway is still active and third party applications are being entered as we speak.”

George Bull, Head of Tax at Baker Tilly, an accountant, said: "It’s completely unacceptable that a State-operated system catering for the entire population can’t cope with an estimated 150-200,000 filings in one day, whereas large corporate IT systems regularly cope with volumes vastly in excess of this."

Taxpayers who fail to settle their tax bill within six months of today's deadline must pay a further 5 per cent interest charge, and a year later another £100 fee is levied.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/01/08 at 12:40 pm

DOING YOUR TAXES CAN BE VERY TAXING, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, AND I DON'T, SO I MAKE EVERYTHING UP AND JUST HOPE THAT I STILL CAN GET A $1MILLION REFUND EVERY YEAR LIKE I HAVE BEEN.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/01/08 at 1:08 pm

I love the site I use!

I filed on Jan. 24, and it hit my account today.
Over $3,000 back in Federal refunds.

~cha-ching~

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/08 at 1:11 pm

I love the site I use!

~cha-ching~
When is the party?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 1:15 pm

I love the site I use!

~cha-ching~

which one do you use? We usually use Turbo Tax online.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/01/08 at 1:19 pm

When is the party?

How soon can you get here?

Gourmet teas form the Republic Of Tea will be on-hand...about 50 varieties to choose from.

which one do you use? We usually use Turbo Tax online.

I go through FreeTaxUSA.com.
It figures up your taxes as you do them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 1:22 pm

I go through FreeTaxUSA.com.
It figures up your taxes as you do them.

wow..that was a super fast return!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/01/08 at 1:24 pm

wow..that was a super fast return!

No joke. They tell you between 10-16 days, if you go through them.
Like I said, I filed Jan. 24, and it hit my savings account today.

I LOVE going through them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 1:25 pm

No joke. They tell you between 10-16 days, if you go through them.
Like I said, I filed Jan. 24, and it hit my savings account today.

I LOVE going through them.

I'll have to give it a look see. :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/01/08 at 1:26 pm

I'll have to give it a look see. :)

I highly recommend them.
They are recognized by the IRS, and it's free to prepare Federal returns.

They have other packages, that you can pay for, for your State returns and so forth.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 1:27 pm

I highly recommend them.
They are recognized by the IRS, and it's free to prepare Federal returns.

They have other packages, that you can pay for, for your State returns and so forth.

oh that's similiar to Turbo Tax then...very cool. I never had a return that was so fast though...that's impressive. :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/01/08 at 1:29 pm

oh that's similiar to Turbo Tax then...very cool. I never had a return that was so fast though...that's impressive. :)

I've used them either 2 or 3 yrs. running.
I am very satisfied with how they do things.

Check for new replies or respond here...