inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ask me anything about animals and 80s toys

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 5:56 pm

i am a self proclaimed 80s toy/cartoon expert. i also have about 9yrs working in animal control and can help with any questions you have about your pet.

Subject: Re: ask me anything about animals and 80s toys

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/02/08 at 9:34 pm

What is the "wildest" animal that you've been called to "control".

Written By: woops on 03/02/08 at 10:45 pm

Were there any popular '80's toys that weren't made into cartoons? Besides Cabbage Patch Kids.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/08 at 6:36 am

How do you deal with raccoons that go into your garbage?

Written By: mary on 03/03/08 at 2:17 pm

What is the "wildest" animal that you've been called to "control".

we get asked that question all the time i work in animal care and control in NYC and there are people who own wild animals, caiman are very common in our shelter they are in alligator or crocodile family when i first started there i remember seeing fennec foxes a man owned amongst other wildlife i can't remember the others. also the man in harlem who owned the tiger and alligator both were brought into the shelter i work in, the tiger was tranquilized and left in the police truck until it went to a sanctuary a few hours later

Written By: mary on 03/03/08 at 2:22 pm

oh as far as raccoons go, we tell people to keep their garbage tightly sealed in metal garbage cans. raccoons are scavangers and will eat anything. if you see a raccoon out during the day showing signs of illness or looking drunk call your local animal control right away, most likely it is rabid

Written By: mary on 03/03/08 at 2:27 pm

Were there any popular '80's toys that weren't made into cartoons? Besides Cabbage Patch Kids.

hmm....you know i think most of them were, the only one i can think of is polly pocket and that came out in the late 80s

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/04/08 at 12:17 am

Are there alligators in the sewer in NYC?  ;D

Have you ever been able to solve a Rubik's Cube?

Written By: Howard on 03/04/08 at 6:08 am

What do you do about stray cats? ???

Written By: mary on 03/08/08 at 7:52 pm

Are there alligators in the sewer in NYC?   ;D

Have you ever been able to solve a Rubik's Cube?

no hahaha

Written By: mary on 03/08/08 at 8:01 pm

What do you do about stray cats? ???

well, there are feral cats which are born outside these cats are not social with people they will not come up to a person nor will they allowed to be touched even very young kittens are fiesty feral cats live in colony's and are maintained by groups such as TNR (trap neuter realese) or neighborhood cats these groups have people who feed these cats neuter the males and during surgery the tip of the left ear is surgically removed this identifies that the cat is neutered and belongs to a cat colony. stray cats who seem friendly are usually owned cats who are allowed outdoors or unwanted pets who have been tossed out by ignorant pet owners, to keep these cats away from your yard and property do not feed them, you can put citronella plants or oil in your yard to keep them away

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/08/08 at 10:59 pm

Ever met anybody famous through your work?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/08/08 at 11:00 pm

How many pets do you have?  I figure that that would be a really bad job for me to have, since I LOVE animals so much, I'd end up taking home every cat or dog that would soon to be put to sleep to save them, ending up with LOTS of pets.  :\'(

Written By: mary on 03/09/08 at 10:51 am

Ever met anybody famous through your work?

yes, roberta flak came in as well as molly ringwald, i work with bernadette peters regularly she rescues animals from our shelter i used to work with amanda sorvino who is the sister of mira sorvino she used to rescue german shepherds and pitbulls i became pretty close with her until she moved to PA. i had been to mira's house because she came with her sister to the shelter then invited me to the house i had been to the sorvino christmas party also and met the rest of the family. pretty cool.

Written By: mary on 03/09/08 at 10:54 am

How many pets do you have?  I figure that that would be a really bad job for me to have, since I LOVE animals so much, I'd end up taking home every cat or dog that would soon to be put to sleep to save them, ending up with LOTS of pets.  :\'(

i have a pitbull three cats and a macaw :D

Written By: Howard on 03/09/08 at 4:41 pm

What's your favorite 80's toy?

Written By: mary on 03/09/08 at 5:30 pm

my little pony, i  had tons of them

Written By: woops on 03/10/08 at 7:25 pm

Are you a collector of '80's toys?

Written By: mary on 03/12/08 at 7:34 pm

yes i am a collecter of 80s toys although i havent' bought or sold anything recently i used to buy and sell on ebay. wow i got alot of questions didn't think anyone would actuallly ask anything lol 8)

Written By: Howard on 03/13/08 at 6:06 am

What's the worst 80's toy?

Written By: mary on 03/13/08 at 9:06 pm

What's the worst 80's toy?

IMO cabbage patch kids, i hated them  :P. i wasn't into dolls i had a few barbie but only so i could play with my friend who had as much barbie's as i did my little ponies

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/14/08 at 2:24 am

Ever watch the Animal Planet channel on cable?  There is a show on there about Animal Control Departments.

What was the oddest call you ever heard about involving Animal Control?

Written By: Howard on 03/14/08 at 6:04 am

Have you ever completed The Rubik's Cube?

Written By: mary on 03/14/08 at 9:22 pm

Ever watch the Animal Planet channel on cable?  There is a show on there about Animal Control Departments.

What was the oddest call you ever heard about involving Animal Control?

someone asked me this see previous posts. i actually try not to watch anything animal related especially animal precint because they do the same things our drivers do and i don't want to be reminded of work when i'm home :)

Written By: mary on 03/14/08 at 9:23 pm

ya know i never owned a rubiks cube :(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/14/08 at 10:27 pm

someone asked me this see previous posts. i actually try not to watch anything animal related especially animal precint because they do the same things our drivers do and i don't want to be reminded of work when i'm home :)

I don't see where anybody asked you about watching Animal Planet channel, but sorry if I'm repeating myself.  Just trying to give your thread some activity.  :-X

Written By: icemann79 on 03/15/08 at 2:34 am

do u know what te lil 2 inch rubber figures where called they where rip offs of gi joe wrstling and some karate guys?

Written By: Howard on 03/15/08 at 6:32 am

Have you ever owned a slinky?

Written By: mary on 03/17/08 at 8:59 pm

I don't see where anybody asked you about watching Animal Planet channel, but sorry if I'm repeating myself.  Just trying to give your thread some activity.  :-X

oh i meant someone asked me about the weirdest animal thing already. :) i don't know anything about boys toys regarding the G.I. joe question. i did have a slinky but i don't think i had the original one

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/31/08 at 3:46 pm

80's toys, are they mostly from Galoob?

Written By: mary on 04/01/08 at 9:06 pm

good question i find most made by mattel

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/03/08 at 4:31 pm

Hi Mary!

I love Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and have several, but there's a special one I'm after. I know in the 1980s they made CPK Twins sets where there had two dolls in a box with "adoption" papers. Dp you know where I can find the Twins dolls like that?

Thanks alot!  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/04/08 at 6:29 am

Do you remember 2XL? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...