inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Questions about Dusty Springfield's song Spooky

Written By: Stompgal on 03/17/08 at 4:22 pm

This song is heard at the beginning and end of my Radio Drama group's audio play called 'Love without Prejudice' and in the CD cover art I am working on, I would like to include it in the song credits. Here are the questions I would like answered about the song:

Who wrote it?
What year was it recorded?
Which album is it on?
What is the record label?

If anyone can help me with this, then it would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

Subject: Re: Questions about Dusty Springfield's song Spooky

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/08 at 6:03 pm

That was a big hit by Classics IV way back in the 60's

Subject: Re: Questions about Dusty Springfield's song Spooky

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 8:59 pm

'Spooky' was written by Buddy Buie, Mike Shapiro, James R Cobb, and Harry Middlebrooks

The song was first an instrumental hit for a saxophonist named Mike Sharpe.  In 1967, guitarist James Cobb co-wrote lyrics and the song became a massive North American hit for his band Classics IV in 1968. 

In an interesting story, Cobb and several Classics IV members eventually regrouped in the 70s as Atlanta Rhythm Section and in 1979, recorded a new version that became a Top 40 hit across North America. 

The original Classics IV version reached #46 in the UK.  The ARS version reached UK #48.  Oddly enough, the song was the lone UK hit for both artists

Check for new replies or respond here...