inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About Amusement Parks

Written By: Matthias on 04/16/08 at 10:09 am

Been in them, worked in them, ate, slept, and drank in them... I have yet to have sex in them, but hopefully that will happen soon.  ;)
So I know Amusement Parks like the back of my hand (Especially since I'm going to take part in the Walt Disney Internship this upcoming semester).
Got any questions? Ask me!

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About Amusement Parks

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 10:14 am

Why has Dreamland in Margate, Kent in England, has fallen into neglect?

Written By: Matthias on 04/16/08 at 10:20 am

Why has Dreamland in Margate, Kent in England, has fallen into neglect?

Just a guess here, but like every other theme park that has fallen into neglect something new and better has arrived, and the attention to these classic old amusement parks are no longer getting the funding that they used to in order to keep them running. Geauga Lake a theme park near my place in Ohio also has fallen into neglect, but since it's owned by a large Amusement Park chain: Cedar Fair, they were able to sell the roller coasters and rides that it used to have to other Amusement Parks. These parks might not have the funding or connections in order to do these so it's left  neglected. I'm not knowledgable about these two because I've never been to the U.K. but that is the reason I'm guessing, judging by what I know here.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/08 at 6:36 am

What was your favorite?

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 8:18 am

Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio probably has to take that spot simply because you can be there all day and have a few roller coasters yet to ride. I mean they have 17 coasters (One of them being the world's tallest and 2nd fastest) some places don't even have 17 rides, so they have to take the cake. In 2nd place I would probably go with MGM Studios down at Walt Disney World.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 1:49 pm

hey matthias! are you (as I totally am) a fan of defunct parks from the past? Have you ever explored a run-down/abandoned park? There's one in Ohio that was called, Chippewa Lake Park...are you familiar with it?  Here's a link: http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/OH/ChippewaLake/chippewa-lake.htm

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 3:05 pm

This is less than an hour from where I live, and I haven't even heard of this place. I'm glad I started this thread, because even though I have a passion for Amusment Parks, I haven't been here, although from what I see it looks like quite an intresting spot to check out. Closed in the 70's... In what looks like the deep woods... Medina... Wow! I really need to find where this place is at and check it out. While the rides still remain there, they probably aren't running due to lack of matinance, but it still would be very cool to explore this area. Thanks for sending me information on this Quirk.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 3:14 pm

Is Mickey Mouse going to spank Minnie Mouse or Goofy?  and what character do you hope to be when you get there?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/17/08 at 3:18 pm

I liked Cedar Point too but I was too scared to go on the coasters when I was last there (over 20 years ago).

I loved Geauga Lake, I rode the coasters there tons of times (when I finally got brave enough) to go on them about 5 years ago.

Ever been to Kennywood in Pittsburgh?  That's a fun little park.

I liked Kings Island too, although again, the last time I'd been to the park (well over 25 years ago) I was still too chicken to ride the coasters.

I was always partial to the water rides.  For some reason I always liked getting wet.  I learned though, don't wear a white t-shirt and ride the water rides if you are a teenage girl.   ;D

I went to an amusement park about 28 years ago in Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania.  Do you know if it's still there?  It was a fun little park.

I always went to Idlewild Park and Storybook Forest in Legioneer, Pennsylvania about 30 years ago.  I have fond memories of that too.  Have you ever been there?

What is your favorite type of ride?

Can you tell I love amusement parks?  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 3:36 pm

Is Mickey Mouse going to spank Minnie Mouse or Goofy?  and what character do you hope to be when you get there?

Well, Since Mickey and Minnie were going at it for about 50-something years he might take a stab at Goofy just for a change of pace I mean... c'mon he's freakin' Mickey Mouse he can get anyone he wants I'm sure he's going hook up with Jasmie, and Ariel a few times (Since Minnie is more cute than sexy, unlike those two). And the character I want to be when I'm working down there is Buzz Lightyear, because that would just be a fun character to play.

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 3:50 pm

I liked Cedar Point too but I was too scared to go on the coasters when I was last there (over 20 years ago).

I loved Geauga Lake, I rode the coasters there tons of times (when I finally got brave enough) to go on them about 5 years ago.

Ever been to Kennywood in Pittsburgh?  That's a fun little park.

I liked Kings Island too, although again, the last time I'd been to the park (well over 25 years ago) I was still too chicken to ride the coasters.

I was always partial to the water rides.  For some reason I always liked getting wet.  I learned though, don't wear a white t-shirt and ride the water rides if you are a teenage girl.   ;D

I went to an amusement park about 28 years ago in Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania.  Do you know if it's still there?  It was a fun little park.

I always went to Idlewild Park and Storybook Forest in Legioneer, Pennsylvania about 30 years ago.  I have fond memories of that too.  Have you ever been there?

What is your favorite type of ride?

Can you tell I love amusement parks?   ;D

Maybe you should be running this thread instead of me. One of my life-long goals is to attend every Amusement Park in America (And as soon as I do that I'll take a stab at North America, and perhaps if I'm still alive THE WORLD!!!) I've never been to Idlewood Park or Storybook Forest, and according to a Google-search on "Conneaut Lake Park" it turns out that it still is there and looks pretty fun, I also want to check out Idlewood Park, and Storybook Forest and see how far they are from my house, since I have a good month before I have to go to work at Disney World I'm going to check these parks out.

I never been to Kennywood, but taking a look on their website they look pretty fun too. I mean I only know of two parks that have "Dark Rides" and that's Disney World, and Universal Studios, and the fact that they have a Garfield based one is pretty cool in my opinion.

I'm a fan of Water Rides as well... I'll go on them even when the weather isn't exactly all that great for water rides (Even though a lot of my friends don't like going on Water Rides with me), which was funny, because one time at Cedar Point I was the only person to ride the Water Ride for almost the entire day (Everytime I walked by there I didn't see anybody else riding it, and it wasn't even that cold out!).

My favorite type of ride has to be Roller Coasters (They just give you a sudden rush of inertia when you ride them), sadly these are the rides that usually have the really long lines. If I had to pick a 2nd favorite I would say water rides (Log Flumes, and Water Rapids are great!). My 3rd choice would be The Go-Karts, not a lot of theme parks have these and if they do it costs extra, but they're FUN!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 8:38 pm

This is less than an hour from where I live, and I haven't even heard of this place. I'm glad I started this thread, because even though I have a passion for Amusment Parks, I haven't been here, although from what I see it looks like quite an intresting spot to check out. Closed in the 70's... In what looks like the deep woods... Medina... Wow! I really need to find where this place is at and check it out. While the rides still remain there, they probably aren't running due to lack of matinance, but it still would be very cool to explore this area. Thanks for sending me information on this Quirk.

WOW!! I didn't realize that you lived so close to there. Yes..I've actually been there (I used to have a friend that lived there). It is indeed very run down. It has not been active for many many years. I recently saw a picture of the once ferris wheel...all it is now is like a skelton of it, completely covered with weeds, etc. It's quite sad because it looked like it was such a great place at one point. It had a beautiful ballroom at one time, which was still standing up to like 2002, I believe...and then some jerk burned it down. :-\\  I guess there is fencing up all around it...however, it doesn't keep curious folks such as you or I out. Lol! If you do go..please take some pics..I would love to see updated ones of its condition.

As far as Idlewild Park (I live about 25 minutes from there)...we go there a bunch of times in the summer. It's a very old (but very well kept park) I believe it is over 125 years old or something. It's a great little family park. Storybook Forest is a great part of the park. There aren't too many storybook/storyland parks still in existence...it's one of the mere few still left. There used to be this neat little place called Storyland, in Schellsburg, Pa.(http://www.agilitynut.com/fairyparks/pa.html). I have been there to take pictures of what is left up in the woods (right now there is a recently built gift/craft shop in front of the once entrance). I am a big fan of defunct parks..can you tell? ;D

As for Kennywood..I am only about 45 minutes from there...we usually go like once a year...but I favor Idlewild park more.

My favorite defunct park was a local one (in Jeannette, Pa) called, Oakford Park. It was an old railroad park in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They ended up shutting down the park and making it into a public swimming pool...up until the late 70's/early 80's...then they shut it down and let it get eaten up by weeds. A few years ago I think they finally bulldozed over it. I was actually able to get down in there before they did that, I found some neat old papers, old paystubs, old ice cream wrappers, etc...in the once refreshment stand building...unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.

Wow..I'm glad you made this thread...I could take for hours about amusement parks (old and new)!!! :)

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 9:29 pm

So can I my friend, so can I.

There are a bunch of people passionate about theme parks, so I'm suprised that nobody started a thread like this earlier, at least from what I saw.

I have been to one of these "Fairy Tale" parks before, very, very long time ago, as a small child, but I can remember going there because the gnomes and their tiny little houses that they had along the side walls of the inside of a cave REALLY creeped me out. I wish I remember where it was, because it was certinally an intresting place, and I need to go visit one of these again.

I think that you're more passionate about Amusment Parks than even I am, looking at your long well-researched thesis paper above  :D

I'm a big fan of Water Parks and we had a small local one nearby called "Dover Lake Water Park", but they closed that down, because it wasn't getting very much busniess. They used the space to expand the Ski Resort next to it, which is cool, I guess if you like to ski. I personally never skied before so I wish they kept the water park.

There's also a theme park in Put In Bay, South Carolina called Hard Rock Park (Owned by the Hard Rock cafe), which I REALLY, REALLY need to go and check out.  http://www.hardrockpark.com/index3.php

According to the Web Site it's going to be a great place to go ride some intense thrill rides (Including a roller coaster that you ride along while rocking out to Led Zeppelin) as well as listen to some very cool music. Like Disney World's Magic Kingdom they have certain areas laid out with certain themes...

They have...

1.  Born In The USA, which celebrates the birthplace and melting-pot of rock.
2. Rock & Roll Heaven which explores the feelings and emotions "behind the music," including the influences and the legends.
3. British Invasion which is based on English style Rock 'n Roll.
4. Lost in the 70's which is based on '70s genres of punk, disco and glam.
5. Cool Country which is based on America's Country Music.

Since I am a HUGE music buff, as well as a HUGE theme park buff this place really, REALLY sounds like a park I need to check out, and it's opening on June 2nd, 2008!!!!

I haven't heard of an actual park opening since Disney's Animal Kingdom which opened April 22, 1998 (Almost 10 years ago!)

This certinally is going to be a fun experiance if I can get the money to take a trip down there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 10:01 pm

So can I my friend, so can I.

There are a bunch of people passionate about theme parks, so I'm suprised that nobody started a thread like this earlier, at least from what I saw.

I have been to one of these "Fairy Tale" parks before, very, very long time ago, as a small child, but I can remember going there because the gnomes and their tiny little houses that they had along the side walls of the inside of a cave REALLY creeped me out. I wish I remember where it was, because it was certinally an intresting place, and I need to go visit one of these again.

I think that you're more passionate about Amusment Parks than even I am, looking at your long well-researched thesis paper above  :D

I'm a big fan of Water Parks and we had a small local one nearby called "Dover Lake Water Park", but they closed that down, because it wasn't getting very much busniess. They used the space to expand the Ski Resort next to it, which is cool, I guess if you like to ski. I personally never skied before so I wish they kept the water park.

There's also a theme park in Put In Bay, South Carolina called Hard Rock Park (Owned by the Hard Rock cafe), which I REALLY, REALLY need to go and check out.  http://www.hardrockpark.com/index3.php

According to the Web Site it's going to be a great place to go ride some intense thrill rides (Including a roller coaster that you ride along while rocking out to Led Zeppelin) as well as listen to some very cool music. Like Disney World's Magic Kingdom they have certain areas laid out with certain themes...

They have...

1.  Born In The USA, which celebrates the birthplace and melting-pot of rock.
2. Rock & Roll Heaven which explores the feelings and emotions "behind the music," including the influences and the legends.
3. British Invasion which is based on English style Rock 'n Roll.
4. Lost in the 70's which is based on '70s genres of punk, disco and glam.
5. Cool Country which is based on America's Country Music.

Since I am a HUGE music buff, as well as a HUGE theme park buff this place really, REALLY sounds like a park I need to check out, and it's opening on June 2nd, 2008!!!!

I haven't heard of an actual park opening since Disney's Animal Kingdom which opened April 22, 1998 (Almost 10 years ago!)

This certinally is going to be a fun experiance if I can get the money to take a trip down there.

oh wow...that HardRock Park seems really cool. See...that's what we need more of in the US....themed parks. I am all for them. Have you ever heard of Holiday World (http://www.holidayworld.com/)? It is actually in the town of Santa Claus, Indiana!! It is a holiday themed park (Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July areas) with rides according to the themes. I've never visited there..but would love to sometime.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/08 at 10:02 pm

What's the fastest ride?

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 10:36 pm

oh wow...that HardRock Park seems really cool. See...that's what we need more of in the US....themed parks. I am all for them. Have you ever heard of Holiday World (http://www.holidayworld.com/)? It is actually in the town of Santa Claus, Indiana!! It is a holiday themed park (Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July areas) with rides according to the themes. I've never visited there..but would love to sometime.

I agree that we do indeed need more themed parks, Disney is the King of Theme and Universal tries to do the same, but they made theirs far too busy and random in my opinion, but I have heard of Holiday World they had it on the Travel Channel. It really looks cool, and Indiana is not out of the question drive-wise either, and they have one of the best Water Parks in the country all of that together really makes me want to go and check that place out. Although I'm still wanting to take the trip to Put In Bay first and check out Hard Rock Park, because although I like Holidays, from what I saw there are no really awesome thrill rides there, you would probably go there to be able to live that forest in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

As for your question Howard....

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~hulme/Graphics/coasters/dragster.jpg

With a whopping 420-ft. hill, 120-mph speeds over 2800 ft. of track and a twisting drop of 400 ft. at a dramatic 90° angle, the $25 million Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, has become the world's highest and fastest thrill ride.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/17/08 at 10:56 pm

I agree that we do indeed need more themed parks, Disney is the King of Theme and Universal tries to do the same, but they made theirs far too busy and random in my opinion, but I have heard of Holiday World they had it on the Travel Channel. It really looks cool, and Indiana is not out of the question drive-wise either, and they have one of the best Water Parks in the country all of that together really makes me want to go and check that place out. Although I'm still wanting to take the trip to Put In Bay first and check out Hard Rock Park, because although I like Holidays, from what I saw there are no really awesome thrill rides there, you would probably go there to be able to live that forest in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

With a whopping 420-ft. hill, 120-mph speeds over 2800 ft. of track and a twisting drop of 400 ft. at a dramatic 90° angle, the $25 million Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, has become the world's highest and fastest thrill ride.

I personally just like rides, screw themes!

You know that from coming down to see me, and I'd love to accompany you on some of those thrill seeking adventures if I ever get my financial situation under control. . .no doubt you'll be with me when I first see the Orlando parks this summer . . .looking forward to that.

Oh and I wont mention what that ride looks like ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/17/08 at 10:59 pm

Ever been stuck on a ride?  A couple times when I've been to parks they were having mechanical difficulties wit a couple of the coasters and the people were escorted down the track.  That would freakin' scare me more so then zipping along the track at 70 miles per hour.  ;D

Do you remember which park it was that Fabio (the male model who poses for those romance novel covers) was in when he was on a roller coaster and a goose flew into the path of the ride and Fabio broke his nose?  It was a few years ago.

I remember hearing about this super huge park, I think it was in Texas, that was supposed to be the World's biggest water park.

Am I right that they completely shut down Geauga Lake after I don't know how many years in business.  Are they still operating the Sea World type park on Geauga Lake?  I have so many fond memories from my childhood of going to those parks.

Ever been to Hershey Park??  That was fun, I went once about 15 years ago and had a good time even though I had gotten sick from the drive across Pennsylvania.

Which state has the most parks?  At one time I think it was Ohio as I recall.

Ever been to Kings Dominion?  It is somewhere in Virginia.  I went there once in 1987 after I graduated from high school.  I think it was in the same "family" as Kings Island.

Ever been to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg?  We went there a long time ago (about 25 years ago) and that was really fun.

Do you play any of the Roller Coaster tycoon games?

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 11:01 pm

I personally just like rides, screw themes!

You know that from coming down to see me, and I'd love to accompany you on some of those thrill seeking adventures if I ever get my financial situation under control. . .no doubt you'll be with me when I first see the Orlando parks this summer . . .looking forward to that.

That's the truth. Disney World has a whole heck of a lot to do, we spent a good day at Busch Gardens in Tampa, and that's only about half of one of Disney's parks and Disney has (I believe) 4 parks as well as a whole bunch of non-parks but fun and entertaining locations within the Disney World Park, and it's own Cruise Line (Talk about somebody overcompesating for something). And that's not even including Universal Studios, or Sea World!!! We're gonna have a lot of fun this summer Dave, and it would be awesome for you to go with me on these Thrill seeking adventures.

Written By: Matthias on 04/17/08 at 11:26 pm

Ever been stuck on a ride?  A couple times when I've been to parks they were having mechanical difficulties wit a couple of the coasters and the people were escorted down the track.  That would freakin' scare me more so then zipping along the track at 70 miles per hour.   ;D

Thankfully, I have been lucky enough to have never been stuck on a ride yet. Although I have been very close, and very pissed off, because I had to wait about an hour and a half to get on the ride, and as soon as I was nearing the gate to get on the ride broke down, and was broken down for about another good hour. That REALLY pissed me off more than riding it, and getting broke down I think.

Do you remember which park it was that Fabio (the male model who poses for those romance novel covers) was in when he was on a roller coaster and a goose flew into the path of the ride and Fabio broke his nose?  It was a few years ago.

According to Wikipedia it was "Busch Gardens Europe" and he was riding "Apollo's Chariot" and to make matters even worse it was the ride's maiden voyage (Talk about bad juju).

I remember hearing about this super huge park, I think it was in Texas, that was supposed to be the World's biggest water park.

The Schlitterbahn Waterpark, in New Braunfels, Texas got the award for World's Best Waterpark Landscaping and the World's Best Waterpark Ride categories during the 2007 Golden Ticket Award ceremony.

The biggest water park is "Noah's Ark Waterpark" which is in the heart of Wisconsin Dells. It has 45 waterslides, 2 huge wave pools, 2 endless rivers, 4 children's water play areas, Paradise Lagoon activity pool, 3 group amusement rides, 18-hole mini golf, 3 arcades, shopping, gourmet desserts and much more!

Am I right that they completely shut down Geauga Lake after I don't know how many years in business.  Are they still operating the Sea World type park on Geauga Lake?   I have so many fond memories from my childhood of going to those parks.

It's very sad, but the Geuaga Lake park that we both grew up in is closed. It's now a water park and called Geauga Lake's Wild Water Kingdom Park, which contains the Sea World attractions as well as the water slides and wave pools, all of the thrill rides and roller coasters from Geauga Lake have been sold, except for a few which have been demolished, because nobody wanted them, and a few that are still for sale.

Ever been to Hershey Park??  That was fun, I went once about 15 years ago and had a good time even though I had gotten sick from the drive across Pennsylvania.

That is really a park I still need to go to, because I've heard so much about it, and how great it is. I mean you can get a huge 5 pound candy bar there, I mean you'll rot your teeth out, but how can you go wrong?!

And it also was on that Travel Channel show about being one of the best parks in the country or something like that.

Which state has the most parks?  At one time I think it was Ohio as I recall.

In first place it's Florida with 18 Amusement Parks!
In second place it's California with 16 Amusement Parks!
And in third place it's Pennsylvania with 14 parks!!!

Ohio only has 6

Ever been to Kings Dominion?  It is somewhere in Virginia.  I went there once in 1987 after I graduated from high school.  I think it was in the same "family" as Kings Island.

Nope, Never been there...

Ever been to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg?  We went there a long time ago (about 25 years ago) and that was really fun.

I have a friend who lives less than 10 minutes from this park, because he lives in Williamsburg, and although I've been to Williamsburg it was as a young child and my parents who are history buffs more than Amusement Park buffs would rather check out boring colonel Williamsburg than the Amusement Park nearby.

Do you play any of the Roller Coaster tycoon games?

I have the first 2 with all of the expansion packs, but I never felt like getting the 3rd one, because I was afraid that it would loose the old school flair of the original game, and turn it into some 3D wonder land that gave you too much stuff to fool around with, and distract you from building the World's Best Amusement Park!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/08 at 1:37 am

Ever see Final Destination 3 where everybody gets killed on the Roller Coaster?  wheeeeeeeeeeeeee fun!

Also another film about an amusement park (and I was actually there just before they filmed the film) was "Death of Ocean View Park".  It was filmed in Norfolk, Virginia back in like 1979 or so... The park was actually scheduled for demolition because some "entrepreneur" bought the land to build condominiums, so since the roller coaster didn't sell, it was destroyed spectacularly in this made-for-tv film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqlM2o5Rmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5NESydaso

Do you know of any other movies that involve Roller Coasters/Amusement Parks? 

I remember "Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park" although I don't know what park that was filmed at.  Totally campy.  Terrific!

I vaguely remember an episode of Brady Bunch being filmed at an amusement park.  Also an episode of "Roseanne" was filmed at Disneyworld" I think.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/08 at 6:00 am

That's pretty fast.  :o

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 9:35 am

Ever see Final Destination 3 where everybody gets killed on the Roller Coaster?  wheeeeeeeeeeeeee fun!

Also another film about an amusement park (and I was actually there just before they filmed the film) was "Death of Ocean View Park".  It was filmed in Norfolk, Virginia back in like 1979 or so... The park was actually scheduled for demolition because some "entrepreneur" bought the land to build condominiums, so since the roller coaster didn't sell, it was destroyed spectacularly in this made-for-tv film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqlM2o5Rmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5NESydaso

Do you know of any other movies that involve Roller Coasters/Amusement Parks? 

I remember "Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park" although I don't know what park that was filmed at.  Totally campy.  Terrific!

I vaguely remember an episode of Brady Bunch being filmed at an amusement park.  Also an episode of "Roseanne" was filmed at Disneyworld" I think.

Here are a few more movies that feature an Amusement Park

1. "3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain"
2. "Beverly Hills Cop III"
3. "Ernest Goes to Splash Mountain" (Made for TV movie back in 1989)
4. "The Funhouse"
5. "Futureworld"
6. "Jurassic Park" (Of course)
7. "The Lost Boys"
8. "National Lampoon's Vacation"
9. "Rollercoaster"
10. "Sudden Impact"
11. "Westworld"

Parts of the Tom Hanks movie "Big" were also short at an Amusment Park as well as parts of the movie, "The Sandlot"

Written By: Howard on 04/18/08 at 3:27 pm

Have you been on a rollercoaster before?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 3:29 pm

I like to say right here and now, I have never on a rollercoaster and never wished too.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/08 at 3:30 pm

I like to say right here and now, I have never on a rollercoaster and never wished too.

me neither,never have never will.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 3:32 pm

me neither,never have never will.
Especially now at my age.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/08 at 3:32 pm

Especially now at my age.

I have a fear of them.  :(

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 3:46 pm

Whew!!! I've been on hundreds of them!

Well... Maybe not hundreds, but a lot of them. I don't think there's anything greater than the rush you get after going on a really intense roller coaster (So intense you think that you're about to die, and you survive to talk about it.) I love them!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 3:49 pm

I have a fear of them.  :(
It is speed around the curve that put me off at first.

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 3:56 pm

It is speed around the curve that put me off at first.

Although I don't like that really bad gut feeling you have when you're about to go over the side of the hill, and you're rushing straight down, that used to give me terrible stomach aches as a kid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 4:08 pm

Although I don't like that really bad gut feeling you have when you're about to go over the side of the hill, and you're rushing straight down, that used to give me terrible stomach aches as a kid.
Yes, of course and the ups and downs.

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 4:12 pm

Yes, of course and the ups and downs.

I can handle those, and even the loops. The rides I can't stand are those carnie rides that try to make you sick by spinning you around and around and around very fast.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/08 at 4:38 pm

Do you have a fear of the roller coaster breaking?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/18/08 at 4:41 pm

It is worth it to go to Coney Island if I am in Manhattan?  We are taking our annual weekend trip and haven't been and wonder if it is worth the afternoon.

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 4:55 pm

Do you have a fear of the roller coaster breaking?

Yeah kinda... I mean when you're in line to this huge roller coaster that you've never been on you're bound to get scared and think about these kinda things.
Or if the roller coaster keeps shutting down, and getting stuck, you're bound to think about that too, but on the most part these rides are safe and fun.

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 4:58 pm

It is worth it to go to Coney Island if I am in Manhattan?  We are taking our annual weekend trip and haven't been and wonder if it is worth the afternoon.

It all depends what you want to go there for. If you want to go swimming sure, I'd be all up for that because they have world’s largest recirculating swimming pool. If you want to go for shows I would be all up for that too. If you want to go for roller coasters try King's Island or Cedar Point.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/08 at 8:27 pm

Do you have a favorite Amusement Park food?

Do you prefer wooden coasters or metallic ones?

Ever been on any "unusual" coasters such as ones that you stand up on or have your feet hang down from or maybe go backwards?

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 10:45 pm

My favorite Amusement Park food would have to be French Fries, Carmel Apples, and Deep-Fried Ice Cream. With a large cup of fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Metallic ones are a lot smoother, and thus a lot easier to ride in my opinion. You're usually aching in pain after you step off a wooden coaster, so Metallic have to get my vote, although you have to respect the classics.

I have been on a standing roller coaster (The Mantis at Cedar Point), a couple enclosed dark coasters (Disastor Transport at Cedar Point, and Space Mountain at Walt Disney World), I went on a roller coaster that makes you ride on your stomach (X-Flight at Geauga Lake).

Written By: skittlesking on 04/18/08 at 11:20 pm

My favorite Amusement Park food would have to be French Fries, Carmel Apples, and Deep-Fried Ice Cream. With a large cup of fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Metallic ones are a lot smoother, and thus a lot easier to ride in my opinion. You're usually aching in pain after you step off a wooden coaster, so Metallic have to get my vote, although you have to respect the classics.

I have been on a standing roller coaster (The Mantis at Cedar Point), a couple enclosed dark coasters (Disastor Transport at Cedar Point, and Space Mountain at Walt Disney World), I went on a roller coaster that makes you ride on your stomach (X-Flight at Geauga Lake).

Oh honestly those aren't amusement park foods. . .  You can get two out of three at Chili's

Funnel Cake is the best amusement park/fair food--or elephant's ear, thank goodness that's just a fancy Funnel Cake, I couldn't eat an Elephant's Ear without feeling a little quirky

Written By: Matthias on 04/18/08 at 11:25 pm

Oh honestly those aren't amusement park foods. . .  You can get two out of three at Chili's

Funnel Cake is the best amusement park/fair food--or elephant's ear, thank goodness that's just a fancy Funnel Cake, I couldn't eat an Elephant's Ear without feeling a little quirky

Wait.... Why didn't you tell me you can get carmel apples at Chili's if that's that case we need to go next time!

Written By: Howard on 04/19/08 at 6:34 am

Why do people feel like vomitting after a rollercoaster ride?

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/08 at 9:09 am

Your stomach isn't used to the up and down, side to side, up and around, zooming really, really fast sensation, because you're doing all of this you feel sick, and some with weak stomachs will throw up.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/19/08 at 3:35 pm

How old were you on your first visit to an amusement park?

Ever hear of those crazy couples that do weird things when they get married?  Like I heard of one that got married on the roller coaster.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMhmLZRNo0

Ever think about becoming a member of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiest)? 

Here is a segment on coasters done by television show Hard Copy back in 2002.  Wheeee  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FexLdseIBMg

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/19/08 at 3:57 pm

Hi Matthias.

What is the maximum G force achieved on the downsection part of the Big Dipper.

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/08 at 4:05 pm

How old were you on your first visit to an amusement park?

Ever hear of those crazy couples that do weird things when they get married?  Like I heard of one that got married on the roller coaster.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMhmLZRNo0

Ever think about becoming a member of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiest)?   

Here is a segment on coasters done by television show Hard Copy back in 2002.  Wheeee  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FexLdseIBMg

1. Man... I was probably around 5 when I first went to Cedar Point, and I think I went to the State Fair when I was even younger (That doesn't really count, but it had rides).

2. Oh yeah!!! I saw something like that in the Geniess Book of World Records (For like the strangest wedding or something like that). I need to check out that Youtube, when I get done writing here.

3. I've never even heard of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiest) before... I need to check that out too. I think I might be intrested in joining that!

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/08 at 4:12 pm

Hi Matthias.

What is the maximum G force achieved on the downsection part of the Big Dipper.

Well... It's Zero now, the ride is closed, but when it was open... I can't find that stat anywhere here are a few stats I did find out about Geuaga Lake's once Big Dipper....

- Height: 60 feet
- Drop: 65 feet
- Top speed: 32 mph
- Length: 2,680 feet
- Ride time: 1 minute, 45 seconds
- Trains: 2 - 24 passenger

ACE Coaster Classic
1925 - "Sky Rocket" opens after being built for an estimated cost of $50,000.

Late 1940s - Name was changed to Clipper.

1969 - Renamed Big Dipper

1980 - Big Dipper was completely rebuilt.

Trains have four cars with three rows each, seating two abreast per row.

Height requirement: Must be at least 48 inches tall

--------------------------

Geauga Lake's Big Dipper is a classic wooden roller coaster that speeds along the 2,680-foot long track at speeds of up to 32 mph. Featuring an "out and back" layout, Big Dipper allows riders to experience gravity-defying "air time" as they dip and roll over hills starting with a 65-foot first drop. Remember, this was considered a mammoth in 1925.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/08 at 10:24 pm

How do you feel about Haunted House?

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/08 at 11:09 pm

How do you feel about Haunted House?

I seriously love them! I worked at both Geauga Lake's and Cedar Point's Halloweekends. Which requires you to go outside (they spread out an area for you) you dress up in deathly costumes (Scary monsters, not much blood and gore trying to keep it family) and you go out for about 5 hours scaring kids out of their minds. It's seriously the most intense job that I've ever had, and I tried working there every year after that.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/08 at 6:32 am

Have you ever rode The Teacup?

Written By: Matthias on 04/20/08 at 10:38 am

Lots of times! So much I actually wrote a song about it...

http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=135

Written By: saver on 04/21/08 at 3:02 am

Lots of times! So much I actually wrote a song about it...

http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=135

Yey, another OHIOAN here...I am well aware of Geauga Lake etc..

So not only there but Cedar Point..WHY isn't there any Fun Houses or ghoul houses anymore?
Cedar point used to have a tilted room that threw off your perception and that was a miniscule thing...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/21/08 at 5:12 am

thanks Matthias

ermm is it possible that the reflected image of ourselves in the Magic Mirrors could infact be genuine?

;D

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 7:01 am

Yey, another OHIOAN here...I am well aware of Geauga Lake etc..

So not only there but Cedar Point..WHY isn't there any Fun Houses or ghoul houses anymore?
Cedar point used to have a tilted room that threw off your perception and that was a miniscule thing...

My guess is that a lot of people got hurt, and sued or something. At Home Days, and County Fairs and things of that nature they still have them, but Amusment Parks can't control the lawsuits.

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 7:02 am

thanks Matthias

ermm is it possible that the reflected image of ourselves in the Magic Mirrors could infact be genuine?

I sure hope not, unless it's the one that makes me look buff and sexy (Or the thin one, I could use being thinner).

;D

Written By: saver on 04/21/08 at 9:56 am

My guess is that a lot of people got hurt, and sued or something. At Home Days, and County Fairs and things of that nature they still have them, but Amusment Parks can't control the lawsuits.

Funny thing that would stop them..people going in know they are going to walk through a spinning barrel..is it possible they may fall? YES..something MAY pop up as they walk past it,if they scare easily DON'T GO IN.

Then again, how do the annual Haunted Houses get insured? That would have a ton  of possible lawsuits..but they are back every year better and better..

AWW,To wind the clocks back to the old days!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 10:11 am

what is your favorite kind of ride?

rollercoasters?

spinning rides (ex. tilt o' whirl, whip, scrambler, etc)?

Have you ever been lost at an amusement park (when you were young)?

would you like to join an urban exploration group that explores defunct parks? I know of a few (I heard of them online)...but it seems like there are none around where I live...maybe I should start one!! :D

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 11:11 am

what is your favorite kind of ride?

rollercoasters?

spinning rides (ex. tilt o' whirl, whip, scrambler, etc)?

Have you ever been lost at an amusement park (when you were young)?

would you like to join an urban exploration group that explores defunct parks? I know of a few (I heard of them online)...but it seems like there are none around where I live...maybe I should start one!! :D

Well... Out of the classes of rides my favorite would have to be roller coasters (The classes are... Thrill Rides, Roller Coasters, Gentle Rides, Water Rides, and Transport Rides) Although Water Rides comes in a close second.

My favorite roller coaster is probably The Raptor at Cedar Point (Although I really want to ride the Led Zeppelin coaster at Hard Rock Park, and the Aerosmith at Disney's MGM Studios)

I love the Scrambler!!! But my favorite thrill ride would have to be the Bumper Cars! Or Go-Karts but those usually cost extra.

I got lost in Disney World the first time I was there (Talk about going from such a Happy Place to utter Hell! That was terrorfying!!!)

I would love to join that sort of group! I don't know if there are any around where I live (Maybe you live in the same place as me) I dunno, but I would love to join that sort of group!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 11:17 am

I would love to join that sort of group! I don't know if there are any around where I live (Maybe you live in the same place as me) I dunno, but I would love to join that sort of group!

I actually live in Pennsylvania (about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh).

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 11:31 am

Ah... Nope, That's not where I live. I live in Ohio, about 25 minutes from Cleveland.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/08 at 3:27 pm

Do you ever play those 4 throws for 5 dollar games they have at those amusement parks?

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 3:28 pm

Yeah... I've played them before (I suck at them, but I've played them before). A game I like playing (Even though I suck at that too) is balloon darts!

Written By: Howard on 04/21/08 at 4:09 pm

Do you like Freefall?

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 4:23 pm

I didn't use to, but now I like it... I dunno, I don't like the feel of my stomach wanting to leave my body as I'm thrusted down a huge hill or vertical drop, but then again, it's such an awesome thrill that I still ride it even though I can't ride it over and over again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 10:49 pm

hey...maybe you can check out this site. I'm not sure if they explore defunct amusement parks...but it might be fun otherwise...

http://www.ohioexploration.com/

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 5:56 am

What was the worst ride?

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 8:52 am

Worst is objective my friend.... In my opinion the worst ride is one you have to wait in line for about an hour, on a hot sunny day, when the Amusment Park doesn't give you anything to preoccupy your time with (Such as music) and the ride at the end of the line turns out to REALLY suck. I had this experiance at Universal Studios, Islands Of Adventure when I thought that the line for "Jurassic Park Discovery Center" was the line for "Jurassic Park River Adventure" (Which is a river rapids type of ride), the "Jurassic Park Discovery Center" turned out to be nothing, but a HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY unrealistic mechanical dinosaur with an employee (who had terrible acting skills) talking about the dinosaur. I would have to say THAT is the worst "ride" I've ever been on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/08 at 9:31 am

What was the worst ride?
The worst ride is the drive back home after you discover that the amusement park is closed for the day.

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 10:02 am

The worst ride is the drive back home after you discover that the amusement park is closed for the day.

I dunno... I still think that "Jurassic Park Discovery Center" is worse :D

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 1:09 pm

Did you ever have to wait long on lines to get to a ride? ???

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 1:37 pm

Did you ever have to wait long on lines to get to a ride? ???

Yeah... I think it's impossible NOT to wait in long lines at Amusment Parks.

Written By: karen on 04/22/08 at 1:41 pm

Yeah... I think it's impossible NOT to wait in long lines at Amusment Parks.

If you time things right you can avoid the lines.  Both times we've been to Disney we tried to get there as the park opened and went straight to the far side of the park.  We got straight on several rides with no queueing at all.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 1:54 pm

Do you enjoy water rides?

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 1:55 pm

If you time things right you can avoid the lines.  Both times we've been to Disney we tried to get there as the park opened and went straight to the far side of the park.  We got straight on several rides with no queueing at all.

And at Disney that's even worse... But that's a pretty good idea, because people normally go on the first ride they see if you play it backwards you can save a whole lot of time.
If you go on certain days you're more likely to be able to go on rides with very little, or no lines whatsoever. These are usually during the fall, before the Amusement Park closes, and on Thursdays and Fridays (Amusment Parks aren't open all week during the fall).

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 1:57 pm

Do you enjoy water rides?

I love them! I was really sad when they closed Dover Lake (Which was a small water park, about 5 minutes from my house). Not a lot of people went there, but it was still a fun place to go and slide down some water slides, or go splash around in the wave pool.

There's still Splash City near Cedar Point, and Geauga Lake's Wild Water Kingdom where Geauga Lake used to be... So I'm not completely water park-less.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/22/08 at 5:32 pm

Did you know that there was a fiction book written by children's author "R. L. Stine" involving the famous wooden rollercoaster "The Beast" (from Kings' Island) and I think there was a sequel too?

http://f5c.yahoofs.com/shopping/mcid5_18655/simg_t_omuze2l0671880551jpg?rm_____DucOVufmN
http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/c/01/fe/ba/75_7.JPG

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 9:28 pm

I think that R.L Stine is from Ohio. I have read both of those books and they were very good. (I was also a huge fan of the Goosebumps books).

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 9:54 pm

How long would it take you to get to an amusement park?

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/08 at 10:07 pm

The closest Amusment Park to me is Geauga Lake's Wild Water Kingdom, which is a 45 minute drive. Cedar Point is 1 hour and 1/2 drive.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 5:58 am

Have you been to New York's Amusement Parks?

Written By: Matthias on 04/23/08 at 8:26 am

Have you been to New York's Amusement Parks?

I went to a water park in New York before... It was a pretty chilly day too (So I must have been crazy) but it was fun, especially since there was nobody there.
I think it was "Zoom Flume Water Park", but don't quote me on that.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 3:34 pm

Have you tried Six Flags Great Adventure?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/23/08 at 10:49 pm

Do you frequent carnival rides also? I have always been leery about them (the way they take them up and down so often).

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 10:50 am

Have you tried Six Flags Great Adventure?

Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure took over Geauga Lake for awhile, but Geauga Lake bought back it's property... I don't know why, but during that time (About a 4 year period) I didn't actually go, because growing up with Geauga Lake I couldn't go there and remember that once was. Now Six Flags is gone (After taking Sea World from us as well), and left Geauga Lake, and now that Geauga Lake's gone we're left with nothing at all, but some crappy water park.

Anyways, long story short, I've never been to Six Flags, but I would go there if the opportunity presented itself.

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 10:54 am

Do you frequent carnival rides also? I have always been leery about them (the way they take them up and down so often).

I'm not a fan of them. Mixing spinning with the smell of cigarettes, puke, gasoline, and beer is a garanteed way to make you sick. As a child I ventured to Home Days and Fairs and the such, but now I would much rather go to an actual Amusement Park, because the stench isn't nearly as bad there. I did like the ride that spun around and around and around that made you get stuck to the wall though (The G-Force Ride or something like that), I'm also a fan of The Scrambler, and Bumper Cars (Not at all carnivals, but some of them). 

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 12:18 pm

What amusement ride was a waste of time to be on?

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 12:20 pm

What amusement ride was a waste of time to be on?

"Small World" at Disney World was pretty awful.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 12:22 pm

"Small World" at Disney World was pretty awful.

How long of a line was that?

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 12:26 pm

I don't remember... But the entire ride was a waste of time, the most annoying and boring ride of all time, and that song gets stuck in your head then refuses to leave.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 1:47 pm

What's the best month to go?

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 1:55 pm

What's the best month to go?

Any summer moth, although October is pretty fun too.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 1:55 pm

Any summer moth, although October is pretty fun too.

Wouldn't October be too cold to go?

Written By: Matthias on 04/24/08 at 1:59 pm

Nope, A lot of Amusment Parks are open that month for their Halloween special.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/24/08 at 7:08 pm

Ever buy any souveniers from a park?

Written By: karen on 04/24/08 at 8:41 pm

did you mention Storyland parks as being worth going to?  I think I read it here somewhere and then a friend mentioned that there is one nearby (either in New Jersey or Rhode Island I forget which)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/24/08 at 9:26 pm

did you mention Storyland parks as being worth going to?  I think I read it here somewhere and then a friend mentioned that there is one nearby (either in New Jersey or Rhode Island I forget which)

Maybe not so much for your older children.  I remember going to one in Western Pennsylvania when I was about 7 or 8, and I liked it alot.  There wasn't so many rides as exhibits based on nursery rhymes/fairy tales.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/08 at 9:30 pm

Maybe not so much for your older children.  I remember going to one in Western Pennsylvania when I was about 7 or 8, and I liked it alot.  There wasn't so many rides as exhibits based on nursery rhymes/fairy tales.

gosh..I'm 31 years old and I STILL look forward to going to Storybook Forest every summer. I'm not looking forward to the day when Vaughn says, "I'm too old to go there"....because it has always been a great favorite of mine! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/24/08 at 9:42 pm

gosh..I'm 31 years old and I STILL look forward to going to Storybook Forest every summer. I'm not looking forward to the day when Vaughn says, "I'm too old to go there"....because it has always been a great favorite of mine! :)

Yeah, I mean, I think there is also a time when adults get nostalgic for parks like that.  I was thinking I might like to go back to it also.  But since I have no kids, I'd look a little strange.  Maybe I'll rent some kids.  ;D

I was just thinking older kids that might not like it so much.  but who am I to say what kids would or would not like since I don't have kids.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/08 at 10:27 pm

Yeah, I mean, I think there is also a time when adults get nostalgic for parks like that.  I was thinking I might like to go back to it also.  But since I have no kids, I'd look a little strange.  Maybe I'll rent some kids.   ;D

I was just thinking older kids that might not like it so much.  but who am I to say what kids would or would not like since I don't have kids.

Oh, I'm sure you are right. I mean...when kids get to a certain age..it seems like they are mainly interested in the fast/big rides at the parks...however, I will always have a special place in my heart for things like storyparks.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/08 at 6:15 am

Nope, A lot of Amusment Parks are open that month for their Halloween special.

I think Six Flags Great Adventure has that kind of special too.

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/08 at 11:08 pm

Ever buy any souveniers from a park?

Everytime I go, especially the big parks like Universal and Disney World, but I get stuff from the small parks too. Usually a baseball cap, I'm a fan of hats.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/08 at 5:41 am

Have you ever been on a ride twice?

Written By: Matthias on 04/27/08 at 11:48 am

Of course, the rides I like I ride multiple times, even multiple times in a row.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/27/08 at 3:44 pm

Been to any parks yet this year?  Which ones are you planning on going to this season?  If you hit Kings Island, maybe I'll meet up with ya.  I only live about a half hour away.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/08 at 4:26 pm

How many times have you been on the bumper cars?

Written By: Matthias on 04/27/08 at 10:03 pm

Hell... I can't remember how many times, I've been riding them for years!

Written By: Matthias on 04/27/08 at 10:04 pm

Been to any parks yet this year?  Which ones are you planning on going to this season?  If you hit Kings Island, maybe I'll meet up with ya.  I only live about a half hour away.

I've only been to Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay so far this year. I'm planning on working at Cedar Point for a couple months and then working at Disney World for the Fall Semester. That would be cool to hang out with you at King's Island though!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/14/08 at 5:00 pm

Thought you might be interested in this video from New York Times about Wooden Roller Coasters in Pennsylvania.
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=140d7204295d7598498b3678493468402ad882bc

Here is the article that accompanies the video:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/travel/escapes/11roller.html

Written By: saver on 07/16/08 at 11:06 pm

So,not sure if you got into this subject:

Will they or anyone have the guts to ever re-invent/recreate a good 'old fashioned' funhouse?

I know they were possibly discontinued due to lawsuit threats but if you go in with a waver if some sort.. that's why I think the Reality Game shows look like fun, jumping over a swinging bar, giant airballs etc..

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/17/08 at 12:28 am

Do you like to ride the older and more rickety & clackety sounding wooden roller coasters?

Written By: Matthias on 07/18/08 at 8:45 pm

So,not sure if you got into this subject:

Will they or anyone have the guts to ever re-invent/recreate a good 'old fashioned' funhouse?

I know they were possibly discontinued due to lawsuit threats but if you go in with a waver if some sort.. that's why I think the Reality Game shows look like fun, jumping over a swinging bar, giant airballs etc..

I doubt it, the modern world isn't nearly as fun as the good ol' days. Back when people weren't so willing to sue each other, and state fairs for getting a little bit hurt.

Written By: Matthias on 07/18/08 at 8:46 pm

Do you like to ride the older and more rickety & clackety sounding wooden roller coasters?

I enjoy the smooth, top speed, twist and turns of the more modern metal roller coasters, because I don't like getting jerked around, and being in pain for the next two hours, but they're still fun.

Written By: Matthias on 10/08/08 at 12:33 am

Any more questions... I'm working at Disney World now so any questions you may have about Disney World I can also answer for you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/08 at 1:54 am

How much is the admission charge at Disney World?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/08/08 at 4:44 am

Any more questions... I'm working at Disney World now so any questions you may have about Disney World I can also answer for you.

Do you think there will be a marked increase in people visiting the park on their birthday next year?  (For those that don't know, Disney offers free admission to their parks on people's birthdays - a $75 value!)  It starts in 2009, but you have to sign up for their online club or something.

What is your fave Disney attraction/ride?  What's the best food at Disney World?  What do you do at Disney?  Could you give Winnie the Pooh a hug from me? (He's always been my favorite!)  How have they (Disney World) decorated for Halloween this year?

Written By: Matthias on 10/08/08 at 10:27 pm

How much is the admission charge at Disney World?

75 bucks

Written By: Matthias on 10/08/08 at 10:31 pm

Do you think there will be a marked increase in people visiting the park on their birthday next year?  (For those that don't know, Disney offers free admission to their parks on people's birthdays - a $75 value!)  It starts in 2009, but you have to sign up for their online club or something.

What is your fave Disney attraction/ride?  What's the best food at Disney World?  What do you do at Disney?  Could you give Winnie the Pooh a hug from me? (He's always been my favorite!)  How have they (Disney World) decorated for Halloween this year?

Even I didn't know that they allowed people to get free admission on their Birthdays that's awesome!!!

I work the Jungle Cruise (And although that's fun to work it's not my favorite to ride). It all depends on the park really... I loved and always will love Space Mountain, I also love Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror, and Aerosmith Rocking Roller Coaster.

Sure thing  :)

Not only do they have it decortated, but they're having Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for the kids

Written By: nally on 10/08/08 at 10:38 pm

I work the Jungle Cruise (And although that's fun to work it's not my favorite to ride). It all depends on the park really... I loved and always will love Space Mountain, I also love Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror, and Aerosmith Rocking Roller Coaster.

Great! I assume this pertains to Disney World?

I have not been there, but I have been to Disneyland a number of times (mostly because I live in southern CA), the most recent of which was 10 years ago. I know they have Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Written By: Matthias on 10/08/08 at 11:04 pm

Yeah, the one down in Flordia... I really want to go to the one in California though, and to the California Adventure (Just to see how different/ similar it is). I also want to see the park that the actual Walt Disney created, because Disney World is only a replica of Disneyland, and the replica is never as good as the real thing.

I also want to visit the ones out of the country like in France, and Hong Kong, and Tokyo, but that seems to be a little out of the question, financially.

Written By: nally on 10/08/08 at 11:09 pm

Yeah, the one down in Flordia... I really want to go to the one in California though, and to the California Adventure (Just to see how different/ similar it is). I also want to see the park that the actual Walt Disney created, because Disney World is only a replica of Disneyland, and the replica is never as good as the real thing.

I hear what you're sayin'. Yeah, you should come out to California sometime and check out Disneyland; you'll probably enjoy it. 8) As for California Adventure, that park opened in February 2001 and is located right next to Disneyland; my family and I went there in June 2002 and enjoyed it. I can tell you right now that even though it's smaller than Disneyland, there are plenty of enjoyable attractions there, including a rollercoaster.

I also want to visit the ones out of the country like in France, and Hong Kong, and Tokyo, but that seems to be a little out of the question, financially.

yeah, you'll need a passport and lots of money to travel to those places.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/08 at 12:30 am

What's the best food in Disney World?  What's the best hotel?  What's the jungle cruise like?  What's the busiest month for Disneyworld?

Written By: Matthias on 10/09/08 at 10:29 am

What's the best food in Disney World?  What's the best hotel?  What's the jungle cruise like?  What's the busiest month for Disneyworld?

The food and wine festival in EPCOT has some GREAT food... Too expensive for what you get, but GREAT, and even when that's not going on EPCOT always has the best food, because there's so many fine foods from all over the world, the French Pastries for example are the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

The hotels vary in which is the "best" they all have a different theme to them. My favorite would have to be The Animal Kingdom Lodge which allows you to see all of the animals from your bedroom window, which is certainally an experiance that you normally wouldn't have anywhere else but Disney. I also love Fort Wilderness, because I love camping and it's actually a pretty nice campsite from what I remember.

The Jungle Cruise is a 10 minute ride which involves a skipper giving a comedic tour of the fake animals (pretty much making fun of the entire thing). Disney uses is animatronics to make them appear at least somewhat realistic, even though the animatronics are a little bit dated. It's a fun ride, but wouldn't be anything without the skippers adding their own characters and humor to the attraction.

Decemeber is the busiest month (I've heard, I just started in June) because Christmas is the busiest day all year. The summer was pretty bad September to Novemeber are the best times to come to Disneyworld, because there are very few people who come during that time. (Foreginers mostly).

Written By: slotscott on 10/09/08 at 8:05 pm

Is there a way to get the words or lyrics to ride narrations?
For example I'm looking for the spiel that the narrator says on the "Calico Mine Ride" at Knotts Berry Farm.

or the narration for the defunct Disneyland "Mission to Mars" ride.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/08 at 10:45 pm

I hope Matthias will forgive me for answering this one, but I love to do research online and this is what I found:

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id88.htm
and this just tells about the ride itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_to_Mars_(attraction)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/08 at 10:54 pm

For example I'm looking for the spiel that the narrator says on the "Calico Mine Ride" at Knotts Berry Farm.

Here, ride along with me on the Calico Mine Ride:  :D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0cYPaXcqM

Written By: karen on 10/09/08 at 11:02 pm

The Jungle Cruise is a 10 minute ride which involves a skipper giving a comedic tour of the fake animals (pretty much making fun of the entire thing). Disney uses is animatronics to make them appear at least somewhat realistic, even though the animatronics are a little bit dated. It's a fun ride, but wouldn't be anything without the skippers adding their own characters and humor to the attraction.

Did you get a basic script for the ride o did you have to make it all up yourself?

Written By: Matthias on 10/10/08 at 12:30 am

Is there a way to get the words or lyrics to ride narrations?

I'm not sure... Probably to tell you the truth I never looked, but it's a definate possibility.

Written By: Matthias on 10/10/08 at 12:37 am

Did you get a basic script for the ride o did you have to make it all up yourself?

We get the basic script that we "have" to follow when managers are around, but hardly any of us skippers follow it otherwise. There are a few things in the "OG" (what we call our scripts) that we do need to follow, such as what river we're in, and what continent we're in as well, we also need to know the order of the showscenes so we don't mess up what we're going to say. It's a lot to keep track of especially if you want to throw in your own jokes.

Intresting tidbit about the Jungle Cruise, Robin Williams actually was one back in the day at Disneyland, and the skippers would get mad at him, because he would take a half an hour telling jokes while out on the river, when it's only a ten minute ride.  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/10/08 at 1:12 am

How many times a day do you have to take a group on the boat?  Have you ever had any mishaps with the boat? 

What does Disney do when a hurricane comes through Florida?

Written By: Matthias on 10/10/08 at 10:41 pm

How many times a day do you have to take a group on the boat?  Have you ever had any mishaps with the boat? 

What does Disney do when a hurricane comes through Florida?

Today was my offical first day! Yay!!! (I worked at a Disney Water Park: Typhoon Lagoon, prior to this)

Moving on to your questions....

1. It varies, Today I did it at least 10 to 15 times and I worked from 12:30 to 7:00. Our other positions include loading, unloading, greeter, fastpass distribution, and merger. So we move around a lot.

2. The most common mishap we have is that the animation gets triggered off to soon, and you have to improv everything through a scene, because the animatronics aren't working right. (I actually had to do that today, around the Headhunter scene)

3. Thankfully we're in the middle of the state so the most we get when a hurricane comes is some heavy rain for like a week, and we stay open during that. It sucks too, because we're out there working as usual in the rain. We only closed once, and that was because we didn't have enough people there when we started in the morning.

Written By: nally on 12/02/08 at 2:54 pm

Almost two months late in replying to this...

Today was my offical first day! Yay!!! (I worked at a Disney Water Park: Typhoon Lagoon, prior to this)

Moving on to your questions....

1. It varies, Today I did it at least 10 to 15 times and I worked from 12:30 to 7:00. Our other positions include loading, unloading, greeter, fastpass distribution, and merger. So we move around a lot.

Which fields do you have to be skilled in in order to work for those positions?

Written By: karen on 12/02/08 at 9:08 pm

Smiling inanely

Written By: nally on 12/03/08 at 12:59 pm

Smiling inanely

I suppose that's one of them...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/06/08 at 1:41 am

Kind of a dumb question, but...have you rode the Top Thrill Dragster? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Because I really really really really really want to ride that thing.  8)

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/29/09 at 7:05 pm

Hello Matthias. I love Amusement Parks. Here's my question: Which is the oldest Amusement Park in North America and does it still have some of it's original rides? That's something I've always been curious about.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/09 at 9:37 pm

You need basic training which you receive on your first day (and lasts for about the first week) of the job... Haven't been to this thread in awhile sorry about the late reply.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/09 at 9:38 pm

Kind of a dumb question, but...have you rode the Top Thrill Dragster? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Because I really really really really really want to ride that thing.  8)

I haven't yet rode that ride because frankly it looks pretty scary to me, but maybe next time I go down to Disney my friends will urge me to wait in that line and go on that insanely scary ride!

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/09 at 9:44 pm

Hello Matthias. I love Amusement Parks. Here's my question: Which is the oldest Amusement Park in North America and does it still have some of it's original rides? That's something I've always been curious about.

Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut: (Opened in 1846 currently in it's 162nd season)

Written By: nally on 05/10/09 at 9:49 pm

You need basic training which you receive on your first day (and lasts for about the first week) of the job... Haven't been to this thread in awhile sorry about the late reply.

'tis ok... I had forgotten about it for a moment there too. Thanks for your reply; it is greatly appreciated! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/09 at 10:04 am

Has Dreamland in Margate Kent been demolished yet?

Written By: karen on 05/11/09 at 10:22 am

Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut: (Opened in 1846 currently in it's 162nd season)

It opened originally as a picnic park.

It still has the carousel built in 1911 and a vintage roller coaster (built in 1947)

park history

Written By: Matthias on 05/11/09 at 10:51 am

Has Dreamland in Margate Kent been demolished yet?

It hasn't been demolished, but there was a pretty bad fire just last year which caused some of the park to burn down including the railway system. They plan to re-open the park as soon as they fix all that has been hurt by the fire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/09 at 11:05 am

It hasn't been demolished, but there was a pretty bad fire just last year which caused some of the park to burn down including the railway system. They plan to re-open the park as soon as they fix all that has been hurt by the fire.
Thanks, for I was wishing to visit Margate of the summer for childhood rememising.

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:45 am

sorry if this is a repeat question....but when is the Harry Potter world coming to Florida (at universal I think)

Written By: Womble on 06/21/09 at 2:07 pm

sorry if this is a repeat question....but when is the Harry Potter world coming to Florida (at universal I think)

The 'Harry Potter Wizarding World' is set to open in Florida's Universal Studio's "Islands of Adventure" sometime in 2010. No specific date has been announced yet.

Written By: karen on 06/21/09 at 7:13 pm

The 'Harry Potter Wizarding World' is set to open in Florida's Universal Studio's "Islands of Adventure" sometime in 2010. No specific date has been announced yet.

They were busy building it when we were there in April.

Written By: Matthias on 09/04/10 at 10:56 pm

Any more questions?

Written By: nally on 09/04/10 at 11:03 pm

Yes, do you have a favorite rollercoaster ride? (sorry if this has been asked before)

Written By: Matthias on 09/04/10 at 11:07 pm

My favorite roller coaster ride is at Cedar Point and it's the Raptor

Check for new replies or respond here...