inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me something...

Written By: Davester on 07/06/08 at 10:59 pm

Okay, please ask me about whatever you want to...

Subject: Re: Ask me something...

Written By: saver on 07/06/08 at 11:23 pm

Okay, please ask me about whatever you want to...

Why doesn't NABISCO ever put their SUGAR WAFER Cookies on sale?

They are always $4.99 year round.

Bonus question: Why are they more expensive than OREOS, AND CHIPS AHOY when they are just sugar and wafers and Oreo's have chocolate,cream, and all the preservatives etc?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/08 at 11:27 pm

Are you married?

Do you have any children?

What's your favorite current TV show?

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 12:19 am

Thank you both for the questions... :)

Why doesn't NABISCO ever put their SUGAR WAFER Cookies on sale?

They are always $4.99 year round.

Bonus question: Why are they more expensive than OREOS, AND CHIPS AHOY when they are just sugar and wafers and Oreo's have chocolate,cream, and all the preservatives etc?

If those snacks were manufactured by C&H Sugar and it's competitors I would definitely have a better answer.  They do use alot of sugar but I would think the cost of sugar would have a negligible effect on the price.  Sugar is not a hot market...

Something to consider saver:  Nabisco is owned by Philip Morris... ???

Are you married?

Do you have any children?

What's your favorite current TV show?

I am divorced...

One son, now deceased...

I like to watch Judge Judy after work.  I've been watching her for 11 years.  You like her..?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/08 at 9:36 am

If those snacks were manufactured by C&H Sugar and it's competitors I would definitely have a better answer.  They do use alot of sugar but I would think the cost of sugar would have a negligible effect on the price.  Sugar is not a hot market...

I am divorced...

One son, now deceased...

I like to watch Judge Judy after work.  I've been watching her for 11 years.  You like her..?

I'm so sorry Dave, I wasn't aware of your son. :\'(

Yes..I love watching all of those court shows....Judge Judy is one of my favorites! :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/07/08 at 10:33 am

I am divorced...

One son, now deceased...

Dave, I am so sorry to hear about your son.  In another thread you discussed your earlier years so I know you have not had it easy.  My question to you then, is what brings you the most enjoyment/what do you do for fun?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/08 at 11:15 am

I want to know when you are going to dig up that photo of you with your armor on because I want a copy.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: saver on 07/07/08 at 5:04 pm

I am divorced...

One son, now deceased...

I guess that could mean why OREO'S are soooo addictive..may be they are tampering with them???? :o :o

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 5:34 pm

I'm so sorry Dave, I wasn't aware of your son. :\'(

Yes..I love watching all of those court shows....Judge Judy is one of my favorites! :)

Thanks.  It's been three years...

To watch Judge Judy give 'em hell is more than worth the price of admission...

Dave, I am so sorry to hear about your son.  In another thread you discussed your earlier years so I know you have not had it easy.  My question to you then, is what brings you the most enjoyment/what do you do for fun?

Thanks...

For the most enjoyment:  Sleep (I love sleeping), log into YouTube, Decades, MySpace (to shoot the breeze with a couple of old friends from school), smoke grass, call friends, go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner once in awhile, cook my meals for the month and freeze them, stop by work and tease my co-workers for having to work, learn to play a guitar, go on long walks.  I volunteer at the afterschool youth center, which opened last year.  I've always been uneasy around kids (even when I was a kid), especially teens, but they're cool bunch...

I want to know when you are going to dig up that photo of you with your armor on because I want a copy.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I've got an even better photo with me in my birthday armor...

I guess that could mean why OREO'S are soooo addictive..may be they are tampering with them???? :o :o

Keep the price of cookies up - rob Peter to pay Paul.  They need the $$$ to cover their legal expenses...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/08 at 5:46 pm

I've got an even better photo with me in my birthday armor...

Birthday armor? Is that like your birthday suit?  :o :o :o :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 5:53 pm

Birthday armor? Is that like your birthday suit?  :o :o :o :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Like totally..! :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/08 at 6:13 pm

Like totally..! :D

Normally, I would say, I wanna see, I wanna see but I don't think my husband would appreciate that so, I guess I will just have to imagine it.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 6:15 pm

Normally, I would say, I wanna see, I wanna see but I don't think my husband would appreciate that so, I guess I will just have to imagine it.

Cat

You're such a good sport, Cat...*muah*

Written By: saver on 07/11/08 at 10:02 pm

When I bought some fresh strawberries home from the grocers, I offered them to my roommate who tok them, 'cored' them and ATE the stems and cores, saying they were more nutritious.....is this something we never knew all this time?- as I have always tossed them into the trash!

Written By: Davester on 07/12/08 at 4:22 pm

When I bought some fresh strawberries home from the grocers, I offered them to my roommate who tok them, 'cored' them and ATE the stems and cores, saying they were more nutritious.....is this something we never knew all this time?- as I have always tossed them into the trash!

No kidding?  Never heard of the practice.  Actually, I've never heard of strawberries being cored.  Wouldn't your roomie reap the same nutritional benefits by just poppong the whole thing into his mouth..?

Written By: saver on 07/12/08 at 9:26 pm

No kidding?  Never heard of the practice.  Actually, I've never heard of strawberries being cored.  Wouldn't your roomie reap the same nutritional benefits by just poppong the whole thing into his mouth..?

I ate the berry parts..found the answer already, as a nutritionist, he said there are lots of nutrients in the stem alone!that would be that tree like growth they have)..cored meaning when you make a circular cut to cut off the top, there is a piece in the shape of a 'v' that usually pulls up.

I'll ask the doctors next time...

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/14/08 at 11:35 am

Best trip so far?

First concert?

Favorite movie?

Written By: Davester on 07/14/08 at 9:54 pm

Best trip so far?

First concert?

Favorite movie?

Isabel...

My best trip so far, I assume you mean travelling...my first trip to the UK in 1997.  It was a Roman holiday as I travelled there to see what is called the "Roman Military Zone" in the north.  I got a room in a hostel near Hadrian's Wall and walked there early one morning.  It was very foggy.  I saw the ruins for the first time and I felt like I was meeting a movie star or shaking hands with the president...

First concert was Van Halen's 1984 tour in May of that year, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  I wasn't supposed to go because I was grounded for something, but ended-up going anyway...

My favorite movie is "Becket" (1964) starring Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.  The cinema adaption of a 1961 play written by Jean Anouilh.  It was released to DVD only last year and I purchased two copies.  Have you seen it..?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/08 at 9:58 pm

have you posted a recent picture of yourself? I know I have seen ones from the 80's....but don't recall seeing a new one. :)

Written By: Davester on 07/14/08 at 10:29 pm

have you posted a recent picture of yourself? I know I have seen ones from the 80's....but don't recall seeing a new one. :)

Less than a year ago.  Lemme find it...

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/16/08 at 11:45 am

Isabel...

My best trip so far, I assume you mean travelling...my first trip to the UK in 1997.  It was a Roman holiday as I travelled there to see what is called the "Roman Military Zone" in the north.  I got a room in a hostel near Hadrian's Wall and walked there early one morning.  It was very foggy.  I saw the ruins for the first time and I felt like I was meeting a movie star or shaking hands with the president...

First concert was Van Halen's 1984 tour in May of that year, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  I wasn't supposed to go because I was grounded for something, but ended-up going anyway...

My favorite movie is "Becket" (1964) starring Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.  The cinema adaption of a 1961 play written by Jean Anouilh.  It was released to DVD only last year and I purchased two copies.  Have you seen it..?

That sounds really cool,i always wanted to go to northern England but never got the chance. Oh and Van Halen is an ok first concert,not too embarrasing ;D

And yes i did have watched Becket,i love Richard Burton and all he did 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/16/08 at 10:36 pm

Less than a year ago.  Lemme find it...

still waiting for that pic! ;)

Written By: Davester on 07/17/08 at 12:56 am

still waiting for that pic! ;)

Wait no longer, because this is, like, my totally gorgeous self...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Mahself.jpg

Dang, I'd hit dat... :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/17/08 at 3:18 am

dang, I thought that was Mark Wahlberg  ??? 

so have you gotten hired back to work at the Sugar refinery or is that over and done with?

Which of these restaurants have you dined at: The Dead Fish, Nantucket, or better question, which one would you recommend?

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/17/08 at 8:08 am

Dang, I'd hit you too!  ;D  You are a hottie!

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/17/08 at 11:14 am

Damn right! 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/08 at 7:05 pm

ah....ok, I totally remember that picture now! Dave...you are very attractive! I noticed it on your younger pics that you posted awhile back...and let me tell you...you have aged VERY well. ;) :-*

Written By: Davester on 07/17/08 at 8:28 pm

Damn right! 8)

ah....ok, I totally remember that picture now! Dave...you are very attractive! I noticed it on your younger pics that you posted awhile back...and let me tell you...you have aged VERY well. ;) :-*

Oh my gosh!  Thank you... :)

dang, I thought that was Mark Wahlberg   ???  

so have you gotten hired back to work at the Sugar refinery or is that over and done with?

Which of these restaurants have you dined at: The Dead Fish, Nantucket, or better question, which one would you recommend?

Markie Mark, eh?  Wanna join my funky bunch..?

The layoff didn't last long, so no biggie.  Just a few days, thanks for asking...

Let's see here...last time we ate at the Dead Fish was a few years ago.  We tried making reservations for New Year's Eve a couple of years ago and was told there were 500 ahead of us!  I haven't ate at the Nantucket in over 20 years.  Seriously.  We have gone there to watch the sunset out on the warf and drink a beer, but I couldn't tell you anything about the food.  In fact, I haven't even heard anything about the food.  The Nantucket used to be some world class eats back in the day.  Then they shut down.  Then they reopened under new management as a greasy spoon burger joint.  I would go there sometimes when I was in high school.  It was dirty, run down but served a decent burger and there was coin-op or two on the premises.  They've reopened, yet again, under new management but the eats are still a mystery to me...

So anyway, the Dead Fish has a prime rib that will melt in your mouth, Mike.  Still had the bone in it.  A little pricey but good size portions and delicious.  Also ordered a bucket of crab legs (I had no idea that my order was not à la carte.  I was wondering why our waiter was looking at me funny.  There was all this food on our table..!)

The Dead Fish has this great lounge.  Roomy, plush, posh with sofas all around, lots of atmosphere and a very nice view of the Straits and bridge.  Even if you don't go there to eat, take your lady there for drinks.  Needless to say, I love the lounge at that place...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/08 at 12:56 pm

So, when are you going to take a trip to Vermont?

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/22/08 at 10:38 am

What would be you dream job?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/08 at 10:01 pm

Have you ever been to Pennsylvania?

Written By: Davester on 07/24/08 at 9:28 pm

So, when are you going to take a trip to Vermont?

Cat

You tell me...

What would be you dream job?

Thought about this one and I seriously can't come up with anything, at all...

Have you ever been to Pennsylvania?

Had a layover at the Pittsburgh airport once.  Other than that, no...

I have one friend from my navy days, Rob, that lives in Pittsburgh...

Written By: saver on 07/25/08 at 3:09 am

Heard this asked of another but THEY couldn't answer it, so your turn:

WHAT IS THE SPEED OF 'DARK'?

We figured sound and light...so..??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/08 at 11:46 am

You tell me...

The door is always open. Let us know.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 12:54 pm

Oh my gosh!  Thank you... :)

Markie Mark, eh?  Wanna join my funky bunch..?

The layoff didn't last long, so no biggie.  Just a few days, thanks for asking...

Let's see here...last time we ate at the Dead Fish was a few years ago.  We tried making reservations for New Year's Eve a couple of years ago and was told there were 500 ahead of us!  I haven't ate at the Nantucket in over 20 years.  Seriously.  We have gone there to watch the sunset out on the warf and drink a beer, but I couldn't tell you anything about the food.  In fact, I haven't even heard anything about the food.  The Nantucket used to be some world class eats back in the day.  Then they shut down.  Then they reopened under new management as a greasy spoon burger joint.  I would go there sometimes when I was in high school.  It was dirty, run down but served a decent burger and there was coin-op or two on the premises.  They've reopened, yet again, under new management but the eats are still a mystery to me...

So anyway, the Dead Fish has a prime rib that will melt in your mouth, Mike.  Still had the bone in it.  A little pricey but good size portions and delicious.  Also ordered a bucket of crab legs (I had no idea that my order was not à la carte.  I was wondering why our waiter was looking at me funny.  There was all this food on our table..!)

The Dead Fish has this great lounge.  Roomy, plush, posh with sofas all around, lots of atmosphere and a very nice view of the Straits and bridge.  Even if you don't go there to eat, take your lady there for drinks.  Needless to say, I love the lounge at that place...
we'ver never eaten at The Dead Fish, but Lady Di's birthday is coming up and just last night I was asking her where she'd like to go, and I'm think melt in your mouth prime rib with the bone in it sounds like a good birthday feast. We've eaten at Nantucket twice, and the 2nd time my cioppino was a little too salty, but the with restaurant right there on the ocean/Straight, well, it does provide for a good view while dining. So after your review Davester, I'm gonna see if Diane wants to go to the Dead Fish for her birthday . thanks

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 6:27 pm

Heard this asked of another but THEY couldn't answer it, so your turn:

WHAT IS THE SPEED OF 'DARK'?

We figured sound and light...so..??

Okay, without cheating (no wiki) my thinking is that darkness is not a quantifiable variable but merely a state caused by an absence of light... 

Like, what is the speed of silence...

How does that sound..?

The door is always open. Let us know.

Cat

I sure will...

we'ver never eaten at The Dead Fish, but Lady Di's birthday is coming up and just last night I was asking her where she'd like to go, and I'm think melt in your mouth prime rib with the bone in it sounds like a good birthday feast. We've eaten at Nantucket twice, and the 2nd time my cioppino was a little too salty, but the with restaurant right there on the ocean/Straight, well, it does provide for a good view while dining. So after your review Davester, I'm gonna see if Diane wants to go to the Dead Fish for her birthday . thanks

I really think you'll enjoy it...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 6:36 pm

I really think you'll enjoy it...
I'm sure we would. I heard that their prime-rib for 2 is called "the Slab"

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 6:51 pm

I'm sure we would. I heard that their prime-rib for 2 is called "the Slab"

And they're not joking either.  You'll be having some for lunch at work...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 6:53 pm

And they're not joking either.  You'll be having some for lunch at work...
I don't know, Diane's a serious carnivore and can wolf it down, and as for me, I can eat pounds of beef  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 6:59 pm

I don't know, Diane's a serious carnivore and can wolf it down, and as for me, I can eat pounds of beef  ;D

Oh, me too.  And I love prime rib.  I seriously don't know why we don't go there to eat more often...

Not to take business away from Crockett, but have you and Diane considered Hs. Lordship's, in Berkeley, for her birthday dinner..?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 7:03 pm

Oh, me too.  And I love prime rib.  I seriously don't know why we don't go there to eat more often...

Not to take business away from Crockett, but have you and Diane considered Hs. Lordship's, in Berkeley, for her birthday dinner..?
The Dead Fish isn't a bargain, it's expensive isn't it, but you get your money's worth don't you? we've been to Hs. Lordships many times over the years. the Sunday brunch is great. haven't been there in a couple years though. and the view of the Golden Gate can be quite spectacular

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 7:15 pm

The Dead Fish isn't a bargain, it's expensive isn't it, but you get your money's worth don't you? we've been to Hs. Lordships many times over the years. the Sunday brunch is great. haven't been there in a couple years though. and the view of the Golden Gate can be quite spectacular

Yeah, it's pricey, befitting it's upscale image.  I think there are one or two others in southern California.  I couldn't even tell you what our dinner cost but it's not Sizzler.  And again, I totally screwed-up when I ordered, so you know :-[

The food was delicious and the portions generous.  Even if you decide to dine elsewhere, come over a have a drink in their longe.  Just between you and me, Joanne and I have gone there just for drinks, several times, and the sex is always better afterwards.  Can't figure out why?  Some say it's the sugar in the air from C&H... :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's pricey, befitting it's upscale image.  I think there are one or two others in southern California.  I couldn't even tell you what our dinner cost but it's not Sizzler.  And again, I totally screwed-up when I ordered, so you know :-[

The food was delicious and the portions generous.  Even if you decide to dine elsewhere, come over a have a drink in their longe.  Just between you and me, Joanne and I have gone there just for drinks, several times, and the sex is always better afterwards.  Can't figure out why?  Some say it's the sugar in the air from C&H... :D
maybe she's slipping you a micky in your drink, yanno, a date rape cocktail ;D    I've seen their menu online and it's quite extensive, lots of goodies to choose from.

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 7:28 pm

maybe she's slipping you a micky in your drink, yanno, a date rape cocktail ;D     I've seen their menu online and it's quite extensive, lots of goodies to choose from.

That might explain my penchant for humping stick shifts...

Erm, uh...just forget I said that...

Website, eh?  Ima check it out...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/25/08 at 7:30 pm

That might explain my penchant for humping stick shifts...

Erm, uh...just forget I said that...

Website, eh?  Ima check it out...
;D  lol    yeah, their whole menu is online

Written By: Davester on 07/25/08 at 7:38 pm

;D  lol     yeah, their whole menu is online

Wherever you decide to dine, I hope Diane has a great birthday...

Written By: saver on 07/28/08 at 1:11 am

On the subject of food...am from the East coast area and Polish/ethnic food was abundant..now in Los Angeles and surrounding areas looking for a meal called Pierogi.

No one makes them that I now of except one restaurant in LA that I tried and they weren't as good as east. Even a church carnival makes them better.

Where can I find a recommended that serves it in  So. CA?

Written By: Davester on 07/30/08 at 12:16 am

On the subject of food...am from the East coast area and Polish/ethnic food was abundant..now in Los Angeles and surrounding areas looking for a meal called Pierogi.

No one makes them that I now of except one restaurant in LA that I tried and they weren't as good as east. Even a church carnival makes them better.

Where can I find a recommended that serves it in  So. CA?

Saver, I've never heard of pierogi, but the recipies I've just read sound delish.  They remind me of potstickers, which I eat like a greedy crackwhore.  And am not at all familiar with SoCal... :-[

Edited to add: Jiaozi = potstickers = Chinese dumpling...

Written By: saver on 07/30/08 at 1:53 pm

Saver, I've never heard of pierogi, but the recipies I've just read sound delish.  They remind me of potstickers, which I eat like a greedy crackwhore.  And am not at all familiar with SoCal... :-[

Edited to add: Jiaozi = potstickers = Chinese dumpling...

Ahh..these are basically POLISH dumplings..many have included a variety of fillings but a good Potato or sauerkraut filled one is a dream!

Mrs. T's(not relation to Mr. T), Pierogi's are sold in frozen food sections insome markets but are using 'dehydrated' potatos..and after talking with the company,  sauerkraut is made but not sold in the west! - Plus frozen doesn't cut it taste wise either...At any festivals in the east that makes and sell them , they are sold out quickly. I usually make my own but it takes 3 hours for 3 dozen..even Martha Stewart has a family recipe!...

Just missing them and the East coast shops rarely mail them. On e disadvantage of being out west..also my other faves : Penrose Sausages in a jar are not sold in the west..while back east, I load up on 3 gallon jars to take back with me..
Yum!

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/30/08 at 7:51 pm

Dave are you as surprised as i am by Saver's gourmet side?

Written By: Davester on 08/01/08 at 9:34 pm

^Indeed...

Written By: iquestion on 08/29/08 at 9:06 pm

The race is on...Posed to MEAT(who has no answer to date):

What does SIM SALLA BIM mean?

This was either heard on old movies as a greeting or cantation but never understood....we may have heard of Shalom etc...but no idea what the meaning is of this.

Thank You
Because,
iquestio

Written By: Davester on 08/29/08 at 11:01 pm

This was either heard on old movies as a greeting or cantation but never understood....we may have heard of Shalom etc...but no idea what the meaning is of this.

Thank You
Because,
iquestio

I haven't the foggiest...

Is this some sort of crypto puzzle?  Because I suck at crypto puzzles...

Written By: sax solo on 09/01/08 at 3:02 pm

I have heard the sax solo (instrumental)-no lyrics, from a band in the early 90's and throughout the years on the radio. It is very romantic and passionate. It has long notes and some are high. I thought the DJ anounced that it was Passion, but I have yet to find a sax solo with that name. I know there is an album with that name and that is not it. I listened to the songs on there. Please help. thx!

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 11:26 am

How was your Labor Day weekend?

Written By: Davester on 09/17/08 at 11:38 pm

How was your Labor Day weekend?

It was groovy, thank you.  I hope yours was, too... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/08 at 11:56 am

Why are they so many cookery programmes on tv?

Written By: Davester on 10/05/08 at 1:37 am

Why are they so many cookery programmes on tv?

Because food is extremely popular...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/08 at 12:39 am

Thank You
Because,
iquestio

"Sim Sim Sala Bim" are the magic words said by Hadji on the shows The Adventures of Jonny Quest and The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest. He used these words, akin to "Abra Cadabra" and the like, to perform such feats as hypnotizing bad guys, removing the bullets from an enemy's gun, levitating objects, and opening locked doors.

"Sim-sala-bim" is also a mathematical magical card trick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/08 at 1:54 am

Did you enjoy your birthday?

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 8:41 pm

Why is "something" one word instead of two words (some thing)?  As in some thing that is not this thing.

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 5:08 pm

"Sim Sim Sala Bim" are the magic words said by Hadji on the shows The Adventures of Jonny Quest and The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest. He used these words, akin to "Abra Cadabra" and the like, to perform such feats as hypnotizing bad guys, removing the bullets from an enemy's gun, levitating objects, and opening locked doors.

"Sim-sala-bim" is also a mathematical magical card trick.

Nuh-uh...

Did you enjoy your birthday?

Yeah, I had a good birthday, thanks!  Have been offline all month, which is bad.  But my old friend, John, came for a visit from Texas, which is good.  But his mother died, which is bad.  John's decided to leave his wife which is good, I guess.  I finally got to meet his daughter (she's thirteen).  She's gonna break some hearts...

It's a long story...

Why is "something" one word instead of two words (some thing)?  As in some thing that is not this thing.

I'm stumped...

anything, everyone, &etc...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/27/08 at 5:50 pm

Nuh-uh...

Oh...sorry. my bad!  :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/27/08 at 9:25 pm

Hi Dave. I remember reading that you were to take over as a lead mod from Ant. Is that correct .. and if so when ?

Looks like you've been away awhile. Don't forget to read your 'birthday thread' !

:)

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 9:36 pm

Hi Dave. I remember reading that you were to take over as a lead mod from Ant. Is that correct .. and if so when ?

First I've heard of it...

Looks like you've been away awhile. Don't forget to read your 'birthday thread' !

:)

Hey cool!  I'll check it out now...

Yeah, I broke my network adapter and drug my heels getting a new one.  It's been an interesting month... :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/27/08 at 9:48 pm

First I've heard of it...

Oh  :-NOT being appointed 'LM' !    8)

:P

:D

;D

Written By: karen on 10/27/08 at 9:55 pm

Al  You see to have misinterpreted something somehow in this thread

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/27/08 at 10:05 pm

Al  You see to have misinterpreted something somehow in this thread

I'd actually looked through THAT very  thread .... ^  before posting :

Oh   :-NOT being appointed 'LM' !    8)

:P

:D

;D

But could not find anything THERE ^  .... that would have led me to that misinterpretation. Hence I believe it was in another thread ... and that 'nally' was the one who made me think that (it might even have been 'Ant')  .... either by HIS misinterpretation ... or mine ... and I could be totally wrong about that, by the way.

8)

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 10:38 pm

I'd actually looked through THAT very  thread .... ^  before posting :

But could not find anything THERE ^  .... that would have led me to that misinterpretation. Hence I believe it was in another thread ... and that 'nally' was the one who made me think that (it might even have been 'Ant')  .... either by HIS misinterpretation ... or mine ... and I could be totally wrong about that, by the way.

8)

I was just wondering why Ant's name wasn't blue anymore when I logged on, that's all... 

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/27/08 at 10:40 pm

I was just wondering why Ant's name wasn't blue anymore when I logged on, that's all... 

Yeah ... he's retired from 'LM' ... and it does appear he is not to be replaced. I guess they feel they have enough to do the job as it is.

Written By: Davester on 10/27/08 at 10:53 pm

Yeah ... he's retired from 'LM' ... and it does appear he is not to be replaced. I guess they feel they have enough to do the job as it is.

I think the order of sucession is Veep and then Secretary of State...

...no wait a minute, that was Haig...:P

LM is probably Tam...

Written By: slotscott on 10/30/08 at 2:52 am

Question.......... Do you know of a website that I can find the TV listing / schedule for a specific year, location ect?  I'm specifically looking for local TV listings from 1980 to 1988 in the zip code 92647.  Thanks in advance for any info........

Written By: karen on 10/30/08 at 7:59 am

Question.......... Do you know of a website that I can find the TV listing / schedule for a specific year, location ect?  I'm specifically looking for local TV listings from 1980 to 1988 in the zip code 92647.  Thanks in advance for any info........

One way might be to see if your library has an archive of the newspaper for the area.  I traced the name of a show using this method.

Written By: Davester on 11/01/08 at 12:41 pm

To karen you listen.  Some libraries may have listings on microfiche...

A searchable internet database is probably what you're talking about.  I searched a little with no luck...

You could also check eBay for vintage local TV Guides as I did a few years ago.  Sellers usually don't include information as to the locale but you can ask because many of them still have mailing labels attatched...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/08 at 1:02 pm

I cannot speak for American libraries but one library in London near Leicester Square has all the Radio Times bounded in volumes on the shelves, it is a tv addicts heaven in that basement.

Written By: Andria on 11/06/08 at 5:28 pm

Dave, what is so dangerous about having both bias-ply and radial tires on the same vehicle? I have a 1982 Isuzu pickup that is in awful condition but still runs well and that my neighbor gave to me so that I could take trash to the dump in it and take large items home from yard sales, flea markets and Goodwill stores, but I noticed that it had very old tires with "bias-belt" on the sidewalls on one side and one BFGoodrich T/A Radial and one bias-belt on the other. Is this vehicle safe to drive, or was my neighbor trying to kill me by giving me a truck that is potentially deadly?

Written By: Davester on 11/06/08 at 10:23 pm

Andria,

The manufacturer will always tell you not to mix types.  All I know is that tires of the same type are designed to work in conjunction with one another.  Mixing types will interfere with this and possibly lead to a hazardous situation.  How it would lead to a hazardous situation I haven't a clue...

You're taking trash do the dump, though, which means you may be hauling pretty heavy loads in the bed.  I wouldn't do it...

And NEVER on a motorcycle...

Written By: karen on 11/06/08 at 10:31 pm

There used to be a public information film in the UK on the dangers of mixing tyre types.  If I recall correctly it is to do with the way the tyre flexes, particularly when cornering. You shouldn't have cross-ply (which I assume is the same as bias-ply) and radials on the same axle and you shouldn't have one sort (forget which) if you have the other on the front.

The film I recall had a car going around a roundabout (traffic circle) and it ended up rolling over.  I've searched on-line but haven't been able to find even mention of it anywhere.  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 11/06/08 at 10:39 pm

Okay...

Dunlop says to never mix radials and non-radials on the same axle...

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/06/08 at 11:05 pm

Dave, what is so dangerous about having both bias-ply and radial tires on the same vehicle? 

I'm not Dave, but... what they said.

Michelin offers some explanation.  A bias-ply and a radial tire, even if they share the same overall size/specifications, will have different physical characteristics (contact patch, flex, rolling resistance) when on the road.

That mismatch can lead to unpredictable handling (better steering to the left, worse to the right, and/or a tendency to oversteer in one direction and/or understeer in another?) in emergency situations, which is why the prohibition.  At a minimum, the car would be likely to pull to the left or the right -- and attempting to compensate for this by means of air pressure adjustments will likely involve the consequences (all of which are bad) to handling/treadwear/mileage that come with overinflation/underinflation.

Your neighbor isn't trying to kill you -- but I wouldn't want to commute to/from work at highway speeds, nor in poor weather conditions, nor haul heavy loads over long distances.  A few miles in light city/rural traffic?  Your call, and your insurance policy...  If it were my "beater" truck, I'd drop the extra $100ish on a pair of new, matching tires, (even if they were the cheapest tires that money could buy), and have the best (matching) two tires put on the other wheels.  If all the tires are old/worn/cracking, I'd replace all four of 'em, even if it means the tires outlive the truck.  Rubber is cheaper than metal.  Metal is cheaper than meat.

Written By: Andria on 11/07/08 at 12:06 am

I'm not Dave, but... what they said.

Michelin offers some explanation.  A bias-ply and a radial tire, even if they share the same overall size/specifications, will have different physical characteristics (contact patch, flex, rolling resistance) when on the road.

That mismatch can lead to unpredictable handling (better steering to the left, worse to the right, and/or a tendency to oversteer in one direction and/or understeer in another?) in emergency situations, which is why the prohibition.  At a minimum, the car would be likely to pull to the left or the right -- and attempting to compensate for this by means of air pressure adjustments will likely involve the consequences (all of which are bad) to handling/treadwear/mileage that come with overinflation/underinflation.

Your neighbor isn't trying to kill you -- but I wouldn't want to commute to/from work at highway speeds, nor in poor weather conditions, nor haul heavy loads over long distances.  A few miles in light city/rural traffic?  Your call, and your insurance policy...  If it were my "beater" truck, I'd drop the extra $100ish on a pair of new, matching tires, (even if they were the cheapest tires that money could buy), and have the best (matching) two tires put on the other wheels.  If all the tires are old/worn/cracking, I'd replace all four of 'em, even if it means the tires outlive the truck.  Rubber is cheaper than metal.  Metal is cheaper than meat.

The Sears in my hometown has cheap tires, maybe I will get four of their cheapest truck/SUV tires so that I don't end up dead or as a "vegetable". I don't want to repeat the same situation that one of my close friends got into when she bought some used off-road tires with nice-looking mag wheels at a garage sale for $20, had her drunkard grandpa put them onto her 1990 tintop Suzuki Samurai, presumably after drinking a half-case of beer. The Suzuki had had a small-block V-8 from a fullsize Chevy van of mid-1970s vintage installed in a very crude manner, and she decided to go four-wheeling out on an abandoned farm near her parents' house, lost control due to two simultaneous blowouts, and broke her neck. She died en route to the hospital, which was very sad. Thankfully, I had the brains and common sense to decline going with her, and if I had, chances are AmIRight.com and InThe00s.com would be deprived of humorous and/or informational posts from the computer of Yours Truly. And by the way, alcohol was not a factor in the fatal Samurai wreck, and I have the cheapest liability insurance that money can buy (short of a large-caliber handgun) on the 1982 Isuzu truck.

Check for new replies or respond here...