inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Al About Automobiles

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/10/08 at 4:05 am

Go ahead.

Not 100% sure how to fix them, but I might take a guess.

Subject: Re: Ask Al About Automobiles

Written By: Jessica on 07/10/08 at 10:09 am

2004 VW Jetta.  Gas leaked out of the back again on Saturday, but isn't doing it anymore.  Stalling.  Jerking.  Hesitating when getting out of first.  Suggestions?

Mind you, this is the car we've taken in four or five times for the same problem.  At least the engine light is finally off and we managed to pass the emissions test before it started acting screwy again. ::)

By the way, Rice drove it all the way to SLC and back, not ONE problem.  We drive it eight miles out to Bedford Park to get groceries and it starts acting like a jerk. :P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/18/08 at 11:21 pm

Hi!

I have a 1999 Lincoln Towncar. My problem is that the air conditioner does not work. The little lights and everything attatched to it appear to come on, but it refises to blow air. Like is the fan broken or something? What do you suggest I do about it?

Thanks!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/20/08 at 5:46 pm

2004 VW Jetta.  Gas leaked out of the back again on Saturday, but isn't doing it anymore.  Stalling.  Jerking.  Hesitating when getting out of first.  Suggestions?

Mind you, this is the car we've taken in four or five times for the same problem.  At least the engine light is finally off and we managed to pass the emissions test before it started acting screwy again. ::)

By the way, Rice drove it all the way to SLC and back, not ONE problem.  We drive it eight miles out to Bedford Park to get groceries and it starts acting like a jerk. :P
You've taken it to the dealer 4 or 5 times and they still haven't fixed it? Is it still under warranty?

Might have to get with Click and Clack on this one, because I'm stumped.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/20/08 at 5:48 pm

Hi!

I have a 1999 Lincoln Towncar. My problem is that the air conditioner does not work. The little lights and everything attatched to it appear to come on, but it refises to blow air. Like is the fan broken or something? What do you suggest I do about it?

Thanks!  ;D

Ah, a Town Car. Very similar to what I drive, which is a '99 Crown Vic.  ;)

Have you checked the fuses yet? Could be as simple as that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/20/08 at 6:01 pm

Hi!

Yeah, my dad has checked all the fuses, but they all seem to be intact. I don't know what else to do.  :(

And that's cool. I like Crown Vics!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/20/08 at 6:07 pm

Hi!

Yeah, my dad has checked all the fuses, but they all seem to be intact. I don't know what else to do.  :(

And that's cool. I like Crown Vics!  ;D

Hey, thanks!

Does the fan not come on at all or just when the selector is turned to "A/C?"

(BTW, it must really suck to be without A/C during this time of year.  :P)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/20/08 at 8:16 pm

Hi!

It doesn't come on at all. It'll wheeze when you first punch the button and you get no air.

And YES, it's a major drag at this time of the year!  :(

Thanks for your help!

Written By: seamermar on 08/21/08 at 6:30 am

Well, my dear trucker I'm  thinking to pick a new little car Europe's style,
I mean this kind of vehicules most of you don't even get into.

I consider two firms Renault or Toyota, Europe vs Japan.

I thought it would be interesting knowing your opinion.

Tanks in advance Mr AL-B  ;)

Written By: seamermar on 08/21/08 at 6:36 am

I forgot to tell you  "your secret is saved in Spain I won't tell anyone you're a piano man.

Written By: seamermar on 08/22/08 at 7:43 am

If I got enough money
I hadn't got any doubt
I'll buy a fancy new brand  car,
Nevertheless I'm a poor old seaman
waiting for someone give me a loan.
If I worked in a sembly line
I could get just a piece at a time
and I'd save up to my last dime.

Well, if you don't mind you could tell what goes through your mind, when it comes to buy an automobile.

I'll be waiting till the reckoning day for an answer comes ::)

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 11:32 am

You may not know how to fix 'em, but mebbe how much it costs...Any idea how much it'll cost to fix a leak in the coolant?  96 GMC Sonoma...it's not the radiator.  I think it is either a hose or the plastic dispenser thing where I keep filling it up.  It has a slow leak.  My windshield fluid is the same way.  Nobody seems to want to give me an estimate on that stuff when I ask.  I'm starting to think they're all stupid (except for my mechanic brother, but he doesn't live here and he's a pretty straight shooter).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/08 at 9:26 pm

Well, my dear trucker I'm  thinking to pick a new little car Europe's style,
I mean this kind of vehicules most of you don't even get into.

I consider two firms Renault or Toyota, Europe vs Japan.

I thought it would be interesting knowing your opinion.

Tanks in advance Mr AL-B  ;)

Sorry about my slow response time, I completely spaced off this thread.

And to answer your question: Toyota.

You may not know how to fix 'em, but mebbe how much it costs...Any idea how much it'll cost to fix a leak in the coolant?  96 GMC Sonoma...it's not the radiator.  I think it is either a hose or the plastic dispenser thing where I keep filling it up.  It has a slow leak.  My windshield fluid is the same way.  Nobody seems to want to give me an estimate on that stuff when I ask.  I'm starting to think they're all stupid (except for my mechanic brother, but he doesn't live here and he's a pretty straight shooter).

In that case, see if you can find the leak first. If you can find it and it's just a bad hose, then a new one shouldn't cost more than 15-20 dollars. (I imagine that the plastic reservoir probably wouldn't cost much more than that either.)

I've never claimed to be really mechanically inclined, but I've replaced my own radiator hoses in my cars and I can tell you that it probably should be fairly easy to do (depending on where it's located and whether or not you need to take a bunch of stuff off to get to it).  I'd recommend looking it over really good first and seeing if you could do it yourself.

If it's the plastic reservoir then I can't say for sure, but it may be something you could do yourself as well.

I honestly can't say how much it would cost to take it to a mechanic (since I don't know what they charge for labor), but unless it's something more serious than a hose or reservoir then it shouldn't cost you more than $100-150 tops.

Oh yeah, and if you decide to DIY, make sure that your engine is good and cool (meaning, been turned off for at least 20 minutes) before you start working on it.

Here's something I found on the subject:

http://www.ehow.com/how_112835_replace-leaking-radiator.html

Good luck!  :)

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Al!  Yeah, it's near the reservoir somewhere (couldn't think of the word!), as that's where the drippage is landing on my driveway.  That is something I know how to get out.  Good ol' mineral spirits!  I'll probably take it in somewhere to get it fixed.  Sure wished my brother still lived here.  He'd fix it for the cost of parts and a six-pack.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/08 at 1:57 am

no repair questions, just wondering which of these cars you like best.

the 1955 Chevy Bel Air  http://www.wccruisers.com/images/ctws05winner%2055%20Chevy%20Larry%20Anderson.jpg

the 1956  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2561608739_fb0fe8fd51.jpg?v=0

or the 1957  http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2004/2337197341_77d3ecda57.jpg?v=0

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/08 at 3:59 pm

no repair questions, just wondering which of these cars you like best.

the 1955 Chevy Bel Air  http://www.wccruisers.com/images/ctws05winner%2055%20Chevy%20Larry%20Anderson.jpg

the 1956  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2561608739_fb0fe8fd51.jpg?v=0

or the 1957  http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2004/2337197341_77d3ecda57.jpg?v=0

All very nice, but I have to go with the '57.

I can see those cars being considered priceless works or art 500 years from now, in the year 2525.

That is, if man is still alive.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/08 at 4:30 pm

All very nice, but I have to go with the '57.

I can see those cars being considered priceless works or art 500 years from now, in the year 2525.

That is, if man is still alive.  ;D
if woman can survive they may find that all 3 cars are good choices. my first car was a '55' and it was cool  8)  my pal had a black 57 just like the one in the pic.

Written By: karen on 11/14/08 at 10:16 am

Sometimes when i press ard down on the brake pedal it sort of vibrates/grinds and feels like it is trying to push back!  Any ideas why this happens?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/14/08 at 5:09 pm

Sometimes when i press ard down on the brake pedal it sort of vibrates/grinds and feels like it is trying to push back!  Any ideas why this happens?

Does your car have anti-lock brakes?

Written By: karen on 11/14/08 at 8:40 pm

Does your car have anti-lock brakes?

Probably.  It's an 08 Dodge Grand Caravan  :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/08 at 11:47 am

Probably.  It's an 08 Dodge Grand Caravan  :-\\

Does it just start grinding when you mash the brakes really hard?

Could just be the ABS kicking in.

Written By: karen on 11/15/08 at 3:21 pm

Does it just start grinding when you mash the brakes really hard?

Could just be the ABS kicking in.

Yes it's only happened occasionally, usually either stopping hard or on our steep driveway when it was slippery with wet leaves.

Written By: seamermar on 11/16/08 at 5:41 am

Sorry about my slow response time, I completely spaced off this thread.

And to answer your question: Toyota.

Hi Al B, I did it, I got my car

But I'm afraid I ain't got the right car but the wrong.

Though I really wanted Toyota ( as everyone well learned would),  the rest of the family called out for Renault (they put beauty above all ), so despite I'm THE MAN, I had to give in cause we live in democracy..at home ...of course.

I thank you for your advise.
My car ain't the best but only nice
I remember you when I see Toyota go by

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/16/08 at 2:11 pm

Driver error??? ;) ;) ;)

;D

Written By: seamermar on 12/06/08 at 4:27 pm

Here we go ! Snow neath wheels it's a good weather,
                      If you wanna go to hell, take an ice ride-car, rather  ::)

I had a good starting in riding the car.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/Imagen013.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/07/08 at 12:05 am

Here we go ! Snow neath wheels it's a good weather,
                       If you wanna go to hell, take an ice ride-car, rather  ::)

I had a good starting in riding the car.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/Imagen013.jpg

Is that the Renault you just bought? That's a nice-looking ride.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 12/07/08 at 12:26 am

Hey Al, If I'm playing with the distributor and want to adjust it, what is the best way to do it safely, without risking permanent damage to the UAV?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/07/08 at 12:39 am

Hey Al, If I'm playing with the distributor and want to adjust it, what is the best way to do it safely, without risking permanent damage to the UAV?

Well, all I can say is that if you adjust your distributor more than twice, then you're playing with it.   :D

And as far as the rest of your question goes, well, I highly doubt that "adjusting your distributor" will attract the attention of any UAV's.  :o :o :o

http://www.links999.net/robotics/robots/images/UAV-Hellfire-Missile.jpg

Written By: seamermar on 12/07/08 at 4:46 pm

That's right Al-B, my little Renault  ::)

When I ride up to the mountains' roads, I got my mind on the ridges and four wheels on the snow.
I use to go to the France's border and rolling around ridges and valleys, the car is small but smart, so
I drive up and down without too much fuel to be burnt  ;)

But I must admit you got really beauties in your messages which makes me cracking in envy  ;)

Written By: seamermar on 12/12/08 at 10:27 am

A funny add, which does justice to my car  :)

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=870TqORDZSs&NR=1

Snowy christmas  ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/16/10 at 5:59 pm

Are there different kinds of power steering fluid?  Any idea why the guy at the gas station repair shop said he had to check to see if he had the right one?  (Then he came back with a Volvo brand one, and I do have a Volvo but didn't realize the brand of PS fluid mattered)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/20/10 at 9:33 pm

Are there different kinds of power steering fluid?  Any idea why the guy at the gas station repair shop said he had to check to see if he had the right one?  (Then he came back with a Volvo brand one, and I do have a Volvo but didn't realize the brand of PS fluid mattered)

Probably.

Hell, Volvos probably use tomato soup as power steering fluid, for all I know.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/22/10 at 1:57 pm

2 things:

My brakes squeak when I stop.  What causes this?  I have an extended warranty on my car, and if I don't use it I get $1500 back.  Is it worth it to have them fix my brakes under the warranty or just pay for them out of pocket?

My driver's side sun visor is also broken.  I left it down for a week in the hot sun when I went out of town, and when I went to put it back up it just totally cracked and won't go up anymore.  Is that something that is really expensive to replace, or relatively simple?  Again - cheaper to have covered under warranty or smarter to fix out of pocket?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/13/10 at 7:43 pm

2 things:

My brakes squeak when I stop.  What causes this?  I have an extended warranty on my car, and if I don't use it I get $1500 back.  Is it worth it to have them fix my brakes under the warranty or just pay for them out of pocket?

My driver's side sun visor is also broken.  I left it down for a week in the hot sun when I went out of town, and when I went to put it back up it just totally cracked and won't go up anymore.  Is that something that is really expensive to replace, or relatively simple?  Again - cheaper to have covered under warranty or smarter to fix out of pocket?

Ugh.

I just bought an '09 Malibu last week, and a couple days ago I noticed the brakes squeak too. No idea what's causing it with my car, I checked with the service department the other day and they said see if it goes away in a week or so and if not, take it back.

Dunno with your car, I'm no mechanic but I imagine that if it's just the brake pads or rotors (which it most likely is) then pay for it yourself, it'll definitely be cheaper than $1500. Definitely take it to a mechanic that you trust and get an estimate on it.

Also, I imagine that getting the visor replace wouldn't cost more than $100 tops.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/10 at 6:53 pm

My car finally broke down today.  Nissan Sentra, 2002.  The AAA guy guessed it was the alternator.  I won't know until the mechanics diagnose it tomorrow.

About 18 months ago the thermostat gauge started giving hot readings.  They were bogus.  The gauge would jump from cool to hot without rhyme or reason.  Two places told me there was nothing wrong with the radiator; it was just a faulty gauge and would cost $500 to replace, but it wasn't necessary.  I left it alone.  Soon I just covered the gauge because it was distracting. 

Then the check engine light switched on for unknown reasons.  The mechanics could find nothing wrong, so I ignored that one too.

During this week's cold snap, I went through a bout of not being able to shut the front passenger's side door.  That problem went away but I felt like crossing myself and saying Hail Marys when I went out to me car. 

Today everything went berserk.  It started in the morning when the parking brake light wouldn't go out even after the I shut off the brake.  I dreaded what would happen next.  This afternoon the airbag light started flashing. I started hearing weird ticking sounds.  I turned the headlamps on.  The radio died.  The dashboard lights started fading in and out.  I turned into the lot of the high school before something REALLY bad happened and killed the engine. 

AAA guy came.  He did start the car, which made me nervous!  He backed it to the tow truck and hauled it away.

Now it's at my mechanic's.  Won't know until tomorrow at the soonest.  The tow guy said he thought it was the alternator.  Given the symptoms does that sound right.  I'm seeing estimates of $500.00 -- $600.00!
:-\\

Written By: warped on 01/17/13 at 4:20 pm

How/when did you get interested in cars?
You have a talent of finding the car/model/year from those photos.

And: what is your dream car? 

Written By: Tia on 01/17/13 at 5:29 pm

What's better, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, or Vanishing Point?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/13 at 1:30 am

How/when did you get interested in cars?
You have a talent of finding the car/model/year from those photos.

And: what is your dream car?

It's weird. I know you'll probably think I'm full of it, but my brothers and sisters tell me that when I was two years old they'd take me around the neighborhood and point at a car and ask me what kind it was and I'd correctly answer them. So I've always been fascinated by them.

I'm kind of like Cliff Clavin from Cheers, in that I have a sponge mind that's chock full of useless information. If there's a subject that fascinates me, like cars, music made before 1995, or, more recently firearms, it's like I can pick up a small fact and it just kind of sticks to the inside of my head and I can pull it up later. The Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction is almost like porn to me.

But it's all useless. Completely and utterly useless. If I had the same interest in stocks and finance as I did about cars I'd be a multi-millionaire.

My dream car is a 1965 Chevy Impala SS.

http://www.futureclassicsnj.com/Cars/65impalaSS_dsf.jpg

What's better, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, or Vanishing Point?

I've never seen Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (aside from the final chase scene on YouTube), and it's been a good 20 year since I've seen Vanishing Point, but the edge goes to the latter simply because ever since I saw it I've really dug white Dodge Challengers.

Written By: warped on 01/18/13 at 7:30 am

It's weird. I know you'll probably think I'm full of it, but my brothers and sisters tell me that when I was two years old they'd take me around the neighborhood and point at a car and ask me what kind it was and I'd correctly answer them. So I've always been fascinated by them.

Cool!

But it's all useless. Completely and utterly useless.

Game show contestant? Jeopardy?  (just don't jot down when registering "Occupation: Piano player in a whore house"  ;)

My dream car is a 1965 Chevy Impala SS.

One of my dad's friends ( when we were young ) had a red Impala convertible, lots of chrome on the sides. I do not remember the year, but between 1964 and 1967 would fit.

Written By: warped on 01/29/13 at 3:35 pm

Do you ( or have you done) lots of body work on your own car?
Did you ever collect cars? Or try and build your own from parts?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/29/13 at 5:37 pm

Do you ( or have you done) lots of body work on your own car?
Did you ever collect cars? Or try and build your own from parts?

Actually I've never really been much of a gearhead.

Still, I've always wanted to fix up an old car (though I probably never will since it costs too much).

Written By: warped on 01/29/13 at 6:53 pm

Still, I've always wanted to fix up an old car (though I probably never will since it costs too much).

It can be expensive.

Hey, what are your favorite bands/musical artists of all time?

Check for new replies or respond here...