inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything about Stupid News Stories: Past and Present

Written By: Andria on 10/31/08 at 11:53 am

Hi, everyone, this is Andria, and I want anyone who wants to ask me a question about stupid news stories and/or Darwin Awards contenders to please do so. Just so you know, grisly and/or macabre questions are welcome, just keep in mind that I will not answer anything of a sexual nature, whether or not it is directed toward me.

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything about Stupid News Stories: Past and Present

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/08 at 8:40 pm

What is your favorite "News of the weird"?

Written By: Andria on 11/02/08 at 9:12 pm

Well, Step-chan, my favorite, which was found in the book "Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest" by John Kohut and Roland Sweet, who are responsible for Newsoftheweird.com and also wrote a book called "News of the Weird", was one from the United Kingdom in which a young man walked a 24,000-volt overhead railway line as if it were a tightrope, fell (it did not say whether or not he was electrocuted, but I presume that he was) and was investigated by police because his buddy's dad had his arm blown off by doing the same thing. I am not surprised that this amusing anecdote did not end up in the Darwin Awards.

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/03/08 at 12:17 pm

Hi, everyone, this is Andria, and I want anyone who wants to ask me a question about stupid news stories and/or Darwin Awards contenders to please do so. Just so you know, grisly and/or macabre questions are welcome, just keep in mind that I will not answer anything of a sexual nature, whether or not it is directed toward me.

What's the deal about that? Violence and gore? Bring it on! Sex? Oh no it's the devil ::)

Written By: Tia on 11/03/08 at 12:29 pm

ok, i'll bite. what's this dude's deal?

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212183389.shtml

"Gunman with American Flag Shuts Down Highway in Santa Barbara, CA
by Jack Ryan

California Highway Patrol has shut down freeways and are saying traffic is jammed, thanks to an armed, masked man waving around a gun - and an American flag.

The CA Highway Patrol says traffic is backed up for miles in each direction after a masked man decided to stand on an overpass and profess his political aggravation - with a gun in his hand.

According to Police Sgt. Lorenzo Duarte, the man is wearing a ski mask and waving an American flag in one hand and a handgun in the other.
rumor has it he's a sexual deviant :o

Subject: The Man With The Gun and the Flag

Written By: Andria on 11/03/08 at 12:59 pm

I'm not too sure what to think about this guy, I am a Home Depot employee, not a psychologist, sociologist or headshrinker, so my first guess is that this guy is pissed off about the fact that Obama is probably going to win the presidential election and that he is not comfortable with the possibility of having a person of color as commander-in-chief. This man sounds like a real head-case to me, and he belongs in a padded cell in the booby-hatch.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/03/08 at 7:05 pm

Well, Step-chan, my favorite, which was found in the book "Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest" by John Kohut and Roland Sweet, who are responsible for Newsoftheweird.com and also wrote a book called "News of the Weird", was one from the United Kingdom in which a young man walked a 24,000-volt overhead railway line as if it were a tightrope, fell (it did not say whether or not he was electrocuted, but I presume that he was) and was investigated by police because his buddy's dad had his arm blown off by doing the same thing. I am not surprised that this amusing anecdote did not end up in the Darwin Awards.

I usually like the incompetent criminal stories the most.

Written By: Davester on 11/03/08 at 7:13 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19510-2004Nov2.html

Bush Wins Second Term

So what's up with this one..?

Written By: Andria on 11/03/08 at 8:42 pm

DUDE... The article that you sent me was from 2004 and had NOTHING to do with tomorrow's election results.  ::) ???

Written By: Davester on 11/03/08 at 8:54 pm

DUDE... The article that you sent me was from 2004 and had NOTHING to do with tomorrow's election results.  ::) ???

Is that any way to talk about the Republican party..?

*tsk..tsk*  Ye of little faith... ::) 

Written By: Andria on 11/03/08 at 9:49 pm

Davester, I guess that you could have made the article that you linked to your post seem up-to-date by saying that McCain is similar to Bush, but I think that they are different in every way other than being white male Republican politicians. But I still don't get it. ???

Written By: Davester on 11/03/08 at 10:52 pm

I'm almost afraid to ask - what do you mean by stupid news stories?  The news coverage is stupid or the material covered is stupid..?

Check it out...I'm watching the evening news and the upcoming segment is a child toy safety report, "What parents need to know about this toy that can prove life threatening to their children...

"...right after these messages..."

Get it..?

Isn't that stupid..?

Written By: Tia on 11/04/08 at 9:59 am

Davester, I guess that you could have made the article that you linked to your post seem up-to-date by saying that McCain is similar to Bush, but I think that they are different in every way other than being white male Republican politicians. But I still don't get it. ???
well, other than having virtually identical voting records, identical tax policies (which means identical inflation and identical massive government debt, leading to four more years of the kind of economic tragedy we've just experienced) and identical war policies (except that mccain, in addition to continuing the war in iraq indefinitely, will probably start bombing iran as well), as well as agreeing on virtually every social wedge issue, such as abortion and gay marriage, i agree, bush and mccain aren't carbon copies of each other. not at all.

Written By: Andria on 11/04/08 at 11:42 am

I'm almost afraid to ask - what do you mean by stupid news stories?  The news coverage is stupid or the material covered is stupid..?

Check it out...I'm watching the evening news and the upcoming segment is a child toy safety report, "What parents need to know about this toy that can prove life threatening to their children...

"...right after these messages..."

Get it..?

Isn't that stupid..?

Davester, when I say "stupid news stories", I am referring to the material, in which the person or organization in question has pushed the boundaries of common sense (i.e., "News of the Weird", "Fortean Times") or has died or injured themselves in such a way that they have become Darwin Award contenders, if you know what I mean. ???

Written By: Gis on 11/05/08 at 5:24 am

Of topic but I would like to know why are you so paranoid that you will be asked questions of a sexual nature?

If you read the rules on posting you will see discussions of that 'nature' are not allowed on these boards and these are the rules we all abide by when posting here, so why do you keep feeling the need to bring it up?
I would say the content of these message boards never show anything more than a bit of occassional cheeky inuendo so do you feel your presence will make everyone suddenly turn into sex pests where you are concerned?

You already started out here annoying everyone and now you say you want to start with a clean slate but phrases like that only annoy people and make them more likely to try and bug you, or is that what you want? Push people hard enough so they give you the reaction you expect and then you can say they are all as bad as you feared they would be?

Written By: danootaandme on 11/05/08 at 6:17 am

www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21152325-2,00.html

Scented oils 'give young boys breasts'

By Gene Emery in Boston

Research ... lavender and tea tree oils found in body products have been found to cause enlarged breasts in boys / File
THE lavender and tea-tree oils found in some soaps, shampoos, hair gels and body lotions can produce enlarged breasts in boys, researchers reported today.

Written By: Tia on 11/05/08 at 9:11 am

Of topic but I would like to know why are you so paranoid that you will be asked questions of a sexual nature?

If you read the rules on posting you will see discussions of that 'nature' are not allowed on these boards and these are the rules we all abide by when posting here, so why do you keep feeling the need to bring it up?
I would say the content of these message boards never show anything more than a bit of occassional cheeky inuendo so do you feel your presence will make everyone suddenly turn into sex pests where you are concerned?

what are you wearing right now? :D

Written By: Gis on 11/05/08 at 11:44 am

what are you wearing right now? :D
Nothing in the least bit enticing unless jeans a a huge baggy top float your boat.  ???

Written By: Andria on 11/05/08 at 12:30 pm

About the scented bath-oil story: The only explanation that I have is that they could contain estrogens, which may be able to be absorbed into one's body through cuts, scrapes and the pores, but I'm not a medical professional, so I don't know for sure. Good question, though. About the paranoia thing: My shrink said that I have "schizoid tendencies", so that can explain why I stated the types of questions that I did not want to have anyone ask me. As of yesterday, I unlocked "Ask Andria About Almost Anything", and I changed the verboten subject matter to mathematics only, which I absolutely suck at and was nearly held back in school for due to "F" average grades. Lastly, this one's for Tia. Despite the fact that this question belongs in "Ask Andria About Almost Anything", I will answer it. I am currently wearing a 1982 Van Halen World Tour T-shirt that a friend used to clean the windows in his Ford Aerostar before I found it and he gave it to me (it no longer smells like windex, and it is in surprisingly good condition), a pair of black jeans, pink socks and no shoes.

Written By: Andria on 11/10/08 at 11:11 pm

Since I have gotten all different types of questions on this thread, few of which fit the guidelines imposed by the thread's title and some of which were just plain weird and had nothing to do with news, this thread is now locked. I will let it fall to the bottom, and maybe it will get removed eventually.
Thank you for asking me, one and all, and if anyone has any further questions to ask me, please look for the thread with the title "Ask Andria About Almost Anything".

Sincerely, Andria  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...