inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The return of ask me anything about Canada.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/11/08 at 6:02 pm

Since I'm back, well, why not?

Subject: Re: The return of ask me anything about Canada.

Written By: Andria on 11/11/08 at 8:51 pm

Jamie, how did Canada get its name? Is it a French name or is it an Indian name? I don't know, and if you have the answer, please respond.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/11/08 at 10:46 pm

The origin of the name "Canada" comes from the expedition of explorer Jacques Cartier up the St. Lawrence River in 1535. The Iroquois pointing out the route to the village of Stadacona, the future site of Quebec City, used the word "kanata," the Huron-Iroquois word for village. Jacques Cartier used the word Canada to refer to both the settlement of Stadacona and the land surrounding it subject to Chief Donnacona.

By 1547, maps were showing the name Canada applied to everything north of the St. Lawrence River. The St. Lawrence River was called the "rivière du Canada" by Cartier, and the name stuck until the 1600s.

In the 1600s, the name Canada was often used loosely to refer to New France, and as land opened up to the west and south in the 1700s, the name Canada was applied to what is now the American midwest and as far south as present day Louisiana. But it was not official.

In 1791, the Constitutional Act or Canada Act divided the Province of Quebec into two - the colonies of Upper Canada and Lower Canada. In 1841, the two colonies were united again, this time as the Province of Canada.

At Confederation in 1867, the British North America Act officially joined the Province of Canada (Quebec and Ontario) with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to become "one Dominion under the name of Canada."

Canada wasn't the only name considered for the new dominion though. Other names suggested at the time of Confederation were:

Victorialand
Borealia
Cabotia
Tuponia (The United Provinces of North America)
Superior

I got the answer by googling it.  ;D

Written By: Andria on 11/11/08 at 11:23 pm

Thank you, Jamie. I had a feeling that it was an Indian/First Nations word, but I had to ask since I wasn't sure. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/08 at 10:06 am

Your welcome.

Written By: Brigitte on 03/01/09 at 4:45 pm

What is the oldest city in Canada? How old?

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/09 at 6:48 pm

From one Canuck to another, I ask you ...

What do you think of these 5 legendary Canadian kids shows was the best ...

♦ Mr. Dressup
♦ Harrigan
♦ Today's Special
♦ Polka Dot Door
♦ The Friendly Giant

Written By: Frank on 03/01/09 at 7:27 pm

I don't know Harrigan, but I liked Mr. Dressup the best.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/09 at 1:20 am

What is the weather like in July for Edmonton, Alberta?

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 1:21 am

What is the weather like in July for Edmonton, Alberta?

It will be hot.
Pretty much everywhere in Canada is hot in July (where people live)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/09 at 2:59 am

It will be hot.
Pretty much everywhere in Canada is hot in July (where people live)
How hot?

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 6:03 pm

How hot?

Today's temp is 24 degrees. Average high in July is 22 degrees, but some days could hit 30 degrees (celsius, of course)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/09 at 8:24 am

Today's temp is 24 degrees. Average high in July is 22 degrees, but some days could hit 30 degrees (celsius, of course)
So it looks to be warmer than London for that time of the year.

Many thanks

Written By: danootaandme on 06/21/09 at 2:42 pm

Here in the States there is a big debate about National Health Care.  They ones that don't want it say it will be awful like in Canada where you have to wait forever for care, and it isn't all that good when you get it.  I don't tend to believe it.  Is National Health really bad, or are they just scaring us?

Written By: Frank on 06/21/09 at 10:51 pm

Here in the States there is a big debate about National Health Care.  They ones that don't want it say it will be awful like in Canada where you have to wait forever for care, and it isn't all that good when you get it.  I don't tend to believe it.  Is National Health really bad, or are they just scaring us?

I have known several people who, instead of waiting 1, 2 or more months for a test/operation, have gone to the USA and spent lots of $$ to get it done quicker.
There can be long waiting lists here in Canada, but not for everything.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/09 at 4:36 pm

I have known several people who, instead of waiting 1, 2 or more months for a test/operation, have gone to the USA and spent lots of $$ to get it done quicker.
There can be long waiting lists here in Canada, but not for everything.

A friend who moved to Canada many years ago said the long waits are usually things that aren't critical, that the critical stuff gets taken care of.  I have waited for up to a month for tests, appointments, and a retest or two, so it doesn't seem like there is that much of a difference.

Written By: Frank on 06/22/09 at 6:15 pm

A friend who moved to Canada many years ago said the long waits are usually things that aren't critical, that the critical stuff gets taken care of.  I have waited for up to a month for tests, appointments, and a retest or two, so it doesn't seem like there is that much of a difference.

maybe it all depends on the individual you speak to.
If some Canadians do pay lots of $$$ to go the US to get tests done (or surgery), then I imagine the wait may be longer in Canada than the US for those cases. However, it is expensive and only the rich can afford to do that. 

Written By: karen on 06/22/09 at 9:22 pm

Exactly.  Last year when they discovered the ovarian cysts I still had to wait some months before having surgery.  Friends were surprised that I wasn't sent in the following week!

I'm not sure how long I would've waited in the UK but I bet it would be a similar amount of time.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/09 at 4:22 am

maybe it all depends on the individual you speak to.
If some Canadians do pay lots of $$$ to go the US to get tests done (or surgery), then I imagine the wait may be longer in Canada than the US for those cases. However, it is expensive and only the rich can afford to do that. 

Well then it is the same.  Anyone who is willing and/or able to pay cash get better treatment. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/19/09 at 7:50 pm

Anymore questions?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/09 at 1:48 pm

Can you supply information on the Smoking Clock in Vancouver?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/23/09 at 8:23 pm

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/bec_f/1/1224394740/the-smoking-clock.jpg/tpod.html

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/09 at 7:59 am

How long are your summers?  Do you get temps in the 80s.  A lot of eastern Canadians come down to Old Orchard Beach in the summer for vacation, I am guessing the ocean swimming isn't so good up there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/09 at 1:05 pm

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/bec_f/1/1224394740/the-smoking-clock.jpg/tpod.html
Is that a picture of the clock for all I can see is a red cross.

Written By: Frank on 08/24/09 at 4:24 pm

I have a pic of it.  (Which I took myself)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2678497851_cd24245289.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/09 at 4:30 am

I have a pic of it.  (Which I took myself)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2678497851_cd24245289.jpg

That's the one.

What is it's place in history?

Written By: Frank on 08/25/09 at 1:05 pm

That's the one.

What is it's place in history?

I found this link. Hope it helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastown

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/09 at 3:02 pm

How long are your summers?  Do you get temps in the 80s.  A lot of eastern Canadians come down to Old Orchard Beach in the summer for vacation, I am guessing the ocean swimming isn't so good up there.

They last from May to Mid September.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/09 at 3:22 pm

I found this link. Hope it helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastown
Many many thanks.

Written By: Frank on 08/29/09 at 5:15 pm

Many many thanks.

Welcome. You may see more about it during Olympic coverage. Who knows?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/09 at 5:41 pm

Welcome. You may see more about it during Olympic coverage. Who knows?
I will watch out for it.

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/09 at 9:23 pm

In Picton, Ontario, we have "Sandbanks Provincial Park", which is home of the world's largest fresh water sand bar and dune system.  People come from all over during the summer to spend the day there.

It can be seen in the video for Honeymoon Suite's 1985 hit Wave Babies

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 1:54 pm

In Picton, Ontario, we have "Sandbanks Provincial Park", which is home of the world's largest fresh water sand bar and dune system.  People come from all over during the summer to spend the day there.

It can be seen in the video for Honeymoon Suite's 1985 hit Wave Babies

Thanks for reminding of the song and video!  You rock, Whistledog!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/10 at 12:00 pm

Is it true that in Canada...

HAMBURGERS
EAT
PEOPLE?!?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 7:20 pm

Hiya Penny Wise (or are you Jamie McBain? It's been so long I have lost touch with all these alternative names, lol).

Hmmm, I have a question. Do the French speaking areas and the English speaking areas generally get along with each other or is it like a saloon staredown everytime you enter their 'territory'?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/04/10 at 1:34 pm

Do Canadians intentionally incorporate odd little quirks into their infrastructure just to fool and embarrass unsuspecting Americans???  

I once got totally PWNED by a shower at a truckstop just off the 401 Highway about 50 miles west of Toronto.  :o :o :o

Check for new replies or respond here...