inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Darrell About Classic Cars

Written By: Flaming Cuyahoga on 11/15/08 at 7:00 pm

This post is for the InThe00s member who enjoys old cars but needs to know something about them. I can answer most any question regarding older (pre-1980s) American and European cars, and I will gladly do research if needed.  :)

Subject: Re: Ask Darrell About Classic Cars

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/08 at 1:48 am

Would you like to enter a classic car in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run?

Written By: Flaming Cuyahoga on 11/16/08 at 2:01 am

Would you like to enter a classic car in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run?

Yes, I would, but I cannot afford shipping my car (I have a restored tan-on-maroon 1940 Mercury convertible sedan, which happened to have rolled off the assembly line the very day that I was born) to the UK, nor can I afford a passport. By the way, what is the most recent year that one can enter a car in the London-to-Brighton Run?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/08 at 2:03 am

Yes, I would, but I cannot afford shipping my car (I have a restored tan-on-maroon 1940 Mercury convertible sedan, which happened to have rolled off the assembly line the very day that I was born) to the UK, nor can I afford a passport. By the way, what is the most recent year that one can enter a car in the London-to-Brighton Run?
Details can be found here.

Written By: Flaming Cuyahoga on 11/16/08 at 2:31 am

I have a friend who owns a 1904 Ford four-seat tonneau (open car) that is beautifully restored (I even made some of the mechanical, engine and brass parts from scratch on my Shopsmith all-in-one machine tool by using deteriorated bits as models for computer-generated blueprints), which would be eligible under London-to-Brighton Run rules, but Jerry would most likely object to me borrowing his car to ship overseas since he competes in Concours d' Elegance competitions with it regularly. But I can still dream about it...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/08 at 5:27 am

What is your everyday car? 

Written By: Flaming Cuyahoga on 11/16/08 at 10:23 am

My everyday car is a navy-blue 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that has a Chevrolet small-block V-8 that came from the factory and has been taken care of very well. I am the original owner.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/16/08 at 5:11 pm

My everyday car is a navy-blue 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that has a Chevrolet small-block V-8 that came from the factory and has been taken care of very well. I am the original owner.
sounds like a nice car. is your Cadillac in good condition?  and as for the Chevrolet small-block V-8,  from what I've read, that's a very popular engine.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/08 at 6:44 pm

I had a 1993 Cadillac, it gave us 250,000 before giving up the ghost, which is why when I hear people whining about American cars it makes me want to smack them.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/16/08 at 6:57 pm

I had a 1993 Cadillac, it gave us 250,000 before giving up the ghost, which is why when I hear people whining about American cars it makes me want to smack them.

I'm with you.  I sold my Ford at 175,000.  It needed a new alternator and oxygen sensor so my friend that I sold it to traded it in.  She said she saw it driving around town the other day.  It was a unique paint job so I don't think it was a mistake.  That truck will probably go forever, as long as the new owner takes care of her.  I loved that truck but it was time for a back seat. ;D

Written By: Flaming Cuyahoga on 11/16/08 at 7:55 pm

sounds like a nice car. is your Cadillac in good condition?   and as for the Chevrolet small-block V-8,  from what I've read, that's a very popular engine.  ::)

Yes, sir, the Cadillac is in very nice condition, and the small-block is indeed a popular engine.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/17/08 at 2:18 pm

Hi Darrell!

I have a rather odd question and I hope that you could help me. I've always kind of been a fan of entertainter Sammy David Jr, and I know that at some point he was involved in a car accident that resulted in the loss of one of his eyes. What I heard about the accident was that he lost his eye because his head banged up againt a cone -shaped decoration coming from the steering wheel.

Do you know of any luxury cars from the 50s or 60s that had an attactchment like this in them? I've never seen a steering wheel or a car like this, is there a way that you can get me a photo or a link to a car like this please?

Thank you.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...