inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Queen!

Written By: Silver Power on 01/30/09 at 9:57 pm

I'm madd into Queen. If you have any questions about the history of Queen, or my opinion on Queen, post them here, and I'll try to answer!

Subject: Re: Ask me about Queen!

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/09 at 11:40 pm

I can give you a fact about Queen.  Canada was apparently the only country where all 5 singles from their 1980 album 'The Game' reached the Top 40. 

What is your favourite Queen album?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/09 at 11:53 pm

Did you ever get to see Queen "Live in Concert"?

Written By: Silver Power on 02/01/09 at 7:23 am

Whistledog - My favorite Queen Album is a tie between 'A Night At The Opera' and 'The Game'. I could listen to those albums all the way through, and then listen to them again, and again. What's yours?

Badfinger-fan - Unfortunately, Freddie died just over a year before I was born, so I never got a chance to see them live. I have seen some DVDs of them live, and I could see them with Paul Rodgers, but no one can match the charisma of Freddie. Have you seen them live?

Written By: Paul on 02/01/09 at 9:02 am

I can give you a fact about Queen.  Canada was apparently the only country where all 5 singles from their 1980 album 'The Game' reached the Top 40. 

Would have no doubt done the same in Britain were the fifth single issued here...

...however, we had to make do with 'Flash'!  :P

Another fact...despite being almost 30 years old, their first Greatest Hits remains the biggest selling album in Britain...shifting over 5 million copies!

Written By: Silver Power on 02/01/09 at 10:09 am

That's really cool... 30 years, wow.

Written By: Silver Power on 02/01/09 at 8:01 pm

Ask more!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/09 at 8:10 pm

Would have no doubt done the same in Britain were the fifth single issued here...

...however, we had to make do with 'Flash'!  :P

I wonder why it was 'Need Your Loving Tonight' not issued as a single in the UK?  It would have easily saield into the UK Top 10 no doubt

'Flash' wasn't bad.  It's parent film 'Flash Gordon' however was bad lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/01/09 at 10:44 pm

Badfinger-fan - Unfortunately, Freddie died just over a year before I was born, so I never got a chance to see them live. I have seen some DVDs of them live, and I could see them with Paul Rodgers, but no one can match the charisma of Freddie. Have you seen them live?
no, I never got to see Queen live, although there were a couple of opportunities when they performed in California. I was about as old as you are now. I should have gone and seen them when I had the chance, but nobdy else wanted to go to the Bay Area. the picture of this ticket is from a person that has an excellent Queen concert website and I hope he doesn't mind that I post his actual ticket of the concert I should have attended. check it out...$6.50 for a Queen concert ticket.  8) 
http://www.queenconcerts.com/inc/tickets/1977-12-17.jpg

I have the Live Aid 1985 DVD & love Queen's performance from Wembley.  other than that, there are a ton of youtube vids

cool thread Silver Power

Written By: Silver Power on 02/02/09 at 5:54 am

Thanks badfinger, I see by your picture and the quote underneath that you're quite the Queen fan too.

Written By: Paul on 02/02/09 at 8:43 am

I wonder why it was 'Need Your Loving Tonight' not issued as a single in the UK?  It would have easily saield into the UK Top 10 no doubt

Hm, not sure...I'd say more Top 40 than Top 10...

Why wasn't it released? Well, at that time, we didn't do any more than four singles off an album (the only one who chanced it was Michael Jackson with five singles off 'Off The Wall' and the final one suffered terribly!)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/13/09 at 1:21 am

Do you or any other Queen fans like the vocals of Roger Taylor and Brian May?
of course we all think Freddie is the best, but on the News Of The World album, I noticed that all three of these band members sing lead vocals on various songs and there aren't too many bands that do that. The Beatles did with all 4 members, usually George or Ringo would get an obligatory song per album, but I never gave much thought to this regarding Queen.

Written By: Silver Power on 02/13/09 at 8:48 am

Do you or any other Queen fans like the vocals of Roger Taylor and Brian May?
of course we all think Freddie is the best, but on the News Of The World album, I noticed that all three of these band members sing lead vocals on various songs and there aren't too many bands that do that. The Beatles did with all 4 members, usually George or Ringo would get an obligatory song per album, but I never gave much thought to this regarding Queen.

Freddy is the best, and his charisma just adds to the appeal. But on songs like 'Somebody To Love', they all sound great together. But Freddy is the only member out of the band who I think could be a career lead singer, the others are good, not super.

Written By: nally on 02/13/09 at 10:29 am

Hello SP...what should I ask you about these guys?

I know...do you have a favorite single by them?

Written By: Silver Power on 02/13/09 at 11:18 am

Nally - Under Pressure, definitely is my favorite by them. In my opinion, it's the perfect song. #2 is Play The Game, #3 is Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy.

Written By: nally on 02/13/09 at 11:35 am

Great! O0

What about "Another One Bites the Dust", or Weird Al's parody of it? Are you fond of either of those?

Written By: Silver Power on 02/13/09 at 11:45 am

Another One Bites The Dust isn't one of my favorites, just due to it's abundance in pop culture. That song is so often referenced, used, and played, I got tired of it. But once the 2nd verse kicks in, the guitar sounds awesome. Weird Al's version isn't one of my favorite Al songs either, but I bought a DVD that shows him performing it on some show early in his career, and he worked it, so props to him.

Written By: nally on 02/13/09 at 11:50 am

Another One Bites The Dust isn't one of my favorites, just due to it's abundance in pop culture. That song is so often referenced, used, and played, I got tired of it. But once the 2nd verse kicks in, the guitar sounds awesome. Weird Al's version isn't one of my favorite Al songs either, but I bought a DVD that shows him performing it on some show early in his career, and he worked it, so props to him.

okay...

I only asked because it popped into my mind, and I know lots of Weird Al's older stuff. Yep, the 2nd verse of "Another One Bites The Dust" is much more lively than the first one. Everytime it comes on the radio I like to sing Weird Al's lyrics.

Written By: Silver Power on 02/13/09 at 12:10 pm

Ha, if I knew all of Al's lyrics for every one of his songs, I'd probably do that to every song he parodies, word for word.

American Pie comes on the radio, I just start singing the lyrics to his parody. My dad would be pissed. xD

Written By: Toreys Lover on 06/04/10 at 7:13 pm

How much of your music is influenced by Queen? If any?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/04/10 at 7:28 pm

Have you heard Freddie's song from the 80's remake of the movie "Metropolis"?

It's a great soundtrack, although this song has a bit of a disco beat to it in the background.  I still like it alot.

Love Kills by Freddie Mercury

TS5u_8Cs3AA

Written By: Silver Power on 06/06/10 at 12:23 pm

Lover - Not really any, but I still like the band.

Check for new replies or respond here...