inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney Question

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/21/09 at 12:11 pm

Hi Everyone!

Why doesn't Disney have any BLACK Princess Characters?

As many of you know, in my free time I like to help coach younger girls for beauty pageants since I used to compete. And this morning I was presented with a  question from one of my clients that really made me think.

I was working with a child who is 10 years old and her little sister who is about 7 years old. The girls' mother came to me to put together a dance to Christinia Augilera's song Genie in a Bottle and the 10 year old wanted to kind of bellydance to the song. That wasn't bad.

The little girl came to me with wide eyes and asked me if I'd design a genie outfit for her--because I sketch from time to time--and I said sure. I asked the girl if she had any colors she liked and she told me, "I want to look like Princess Jazmine from Alladin!"

And the 7 year old, who was watching jumped up and hollered, "I like her cause she's Black like me!  :) ) (The girls are Black)

And that kind stuck out for me as the girl's mother said very nicely that Jazmine was not Black, but Middle Easter, Arabian.

It broke my heart when the 10 year old asked why there wasn't a Black princess and we couldn't answer her. Her little face was drooping.  :-\\

Are there any Black Princesses or characters that I'm over looking? Because I've seen several characters who were women of color--Jazmine, Mulan, etc, but never a Black one.

Please answer everyone and thank you!

Subject: Re: Disney Question

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/09 at 12:15 pm

Hi Everyone!

As many of you know, in my free time I like to help coach younger girls for beauty pageants since I used to compete. And this morning I was presented with a  question from one of my clients that really made me think.

I was working with a child who is 10 years old and her little sister who is about 7 years old. The girls' mother came to me to put together a dance to Christinia Augilera's song Genie in a Bottle and the 10 year old wanted to kind of bellydance to the song. That wasn't bad.

The little girl came to me with wide eyes and asked me if I'd design a genie outfit for her--because I sketch from time to time--and I said sure. I asked the girl if she had any colors she liked and she told me, "I want to look like Princess Jazmine from Alladin!"

And the 7 year old, who was watching jumped up and hollered, "I like her cause she's Black like me!  :) ) (The girls are Black)

And that kind stuck out for me as the girl's mother said very nicely that Jazmine was not Black, but Middle Easter, Arabian.

It broke my heart when the 10 year old asked why there wasn't a Black princess and we couldn't answer her. Her little face was drooping.  :-\\

Are there any Black Princesses or characters that I'm over looking? Because I've seen several characters who were women of color--Jazmine, Mulan, etc, but never a Black one.

you should watch The View... the black princess is coming http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17524865/

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/lajb10103082023.widec.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/09 at 12:16 pm

watch this before it gets removed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/21/09 at 12:31 pm

Snoz! I could hug you and toss you in the air!

That's wonderful! She's so gorgeous. (They should name her Tiffany hint hint LOL)

But I really like her. I gotta take the girls to see the film when it comes out. I adore her. It's about time!

Thank you!

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/09 at 1:04 pm

Snoz! I could hug you and toss you in the air!

That's wonderful! She's so gorgeous. (They should name her Tiffany hint hint LOL)

But I really like her. I gotta take the girls to see the film when it comes out. I adore her. It's about time!

Thank you!

I didn't create it or anything but suddenly I'm beaming... thanks!

Written By: woops on 03/21/09 at 5:20 pm

Warner Bros. did a jazz parody of "Snow White" featuring the title character, who's among the hottest cartoon  ever drawn. Though part of the censored 11 due to ethnic stereotypes of the era, though director Bob Clampett was a fan of the music and actual African Americans voiced the characters like Dorothy Dandridge's sister.

Not for the easily offended, but considered one of the best by animation buffs.  8)

Personally, I've seen far worse from that era and also this decade.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/22/09 at 6:47 pm

Hey Woops!

I found that offending clip on Youtube the other day. It's made byMerrie Melodies and it was called "Coal Black and De Sebben (the seven) Dwarves" It reeked of stereo types and I couldn't finish watching it as it turned my stomach. I let my boyfriend watch it and he was cursing in French all night (he's Creole)

If you're offendeed easily, do not loook at ir! PLEASE dont!

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/09 at 6:50 pm

Hey Woops!

I found that offending clip on Youtube the other day. It's made byMerrie Melodies and it was called "Coal Black and De Sebben (the seven) Dwarves" It reeked of stereo types and I couldn't finish watching it as it turned my stomach. I let my boyfriend watch it and he was cursing in French all night (he's Creole)

If you're offendeed easily, do not loook at ir! PLEASE dont!

can you pm the link to me?

Written By: woops on 03/22/09 at 8:38 pm

A thread about the cartoon, though more on the Disney version of "Snow White"

Though more about my thoughts of the Disney version though I was aware of "Coal Black" (rarely mention the title since I'm aware that that cartoon is very wrong), but never saw it until recently.

Aside from the caricatures, the score is good and some good gags like when a dwarf smacked the Wicked Queen with a mallet and the ending when Dopey actually woke her up. Though I actually look past the negative stereotypes and look for the humor and the score.

The only non-offensive pic I can find on Google
http://www.creekrat.com/images/AnimationCels/CreekratCoalBlack2.JPG

Keep in mind that I'm hispanic and born with a cleft pallet (plus some facial scars) that likes  animation (vintage & current). Not some hate monger.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/23/09 at 2:41 pm

I didn't like the way the woman was drawn. There was one scene where she was walking at night and all you could see was her blouse and the whites of her eyes. That ticked me off.

Shucks.

Written By: snozberries on 03/23/09 at 2:51 pm

A thread about the cartoon, though more on the Disney version of "Snow White"

Though more about my thoughts of the Disney version though I was aware of "Coal Black" (rarely mention the title since I'm aware that that cartoon is very wrong), but never saw it until recently.

Aside from the caricatures, the score is good and some good gags like when a dwarf smacked the Wicked Queen with a mallet and the ending when Dopey actually woke her up. Though I actually look past the negative stereotypes and look for the humor and the score.

The only non-offensive pic I can find on Google

Keep in mind that I'm hispanic and born with a cleft pallet (plus some facial scars) that likes  animation (vintage & current). Not some hate monger.

I'm not offended woops...you didn't draw it...  you just provided me with info I asked about... although I did ask it be sent via PM so as not to offend anyone more sensitive than myself  ;)

As I just told Tiffeny- I majored in film theory and one of my focuses has always been on the progression (or lack thereof) of depictions of blacks in film and on TV.   I have seen a lot of obscure films but some how this cartoon escaped me.  Thanks for the link to the discussion to I will check that out.

Written By: woops on 03/23/09 at 4:34 pm

The cartoon is very well known among animation buffs and a few like myself that are into Looney Tunes (ie casual fans that are curious about banned/politically incorrect cartoons). It was part of the 'Censored 11', which were cartoons that were pulled out of circulation of cartoons that were syndicated  in 1968 due to racial stereotypes.  WWII era cartoons were also pulled, though probably in the 1970's or '80's.

I discovered it while reading a thread on the Toon Zone forums several years ago.

She's actually visible in that scene, which takes place at a forest at night. Unfortunately a good print of the cartoon was taken down due to copyright from Warner Bros and a few remaining are  mediocre.

There's several cartoons I tend to cringe like "Education For Death", about a german boy being brainwashed, and "Sunday Go To Meetin' Time", which I can't look past the stereotypes.

Though I also cringe at most episodes of "Family Guy" from the past few seasons, music videos ,  and a few  comedians like Chelsea Handler & Carlos Mencia that just use ethnic humor for a cheap laugh.

Written By: Tam on 03/24/09 at 4:39 pm

Brain fart over here:

Jasmine in Aladdin is Arabic (Arabian) ;)

Written By: Melanie Lee on 03/24/09 at 8:32 pm

Hi Everyone!

Considering that the Arabian peninsula is just across the street from Africa, you can say that Arabic is just once removed from African!

I was going to say something about the upcoming Black Disney princess, but someone beat me to it!

Maybe we need to find more African and African-American and African diaspora tales, and find our princesses there!  And in fact, quite a few of the Bible characters are black, and most of them are brown (Middle Eastern Jews/Hebrews and their neighbors).  They are not European, and they are not white!  I can't think of any specific Black biblical princesses offhand, but there are the Queen of Sheba in the OT, and Candace, the Queen of Ethiopia, in the NT!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/09 at 12:26 pm

Considering that the Arabian peninsula is just across the street from Africa, you can say that Arabic is just once removed from African!

I was going to say something about the upcoming Black Disney princess, but someone beat me to it!

Maybe we need to find more African and African-American and African diaspora tales, and find our princesses there!   And in fact, quite a few of the Bible characters are black, and most of them are brown (Middle Eastern Jews/Hebrews and their neighbors).  They are not European, and they are not white!  I can't think of any specific Black biblical princesses offhand, but there are the Queen of Sheba in the OT, and Candace, the Queen of Ethiopia, in the NT!

I would put money on the fact that Jesus was NOT blond with blue eyes.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/25/09 at 6:19 pm

Cat

I wouldn't bet against you on that. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/25/09 at 10:26 pm

I have always wondered why there weren't any black Disney princesses either.  It's about damn time. 

Written By: Step-chan on 03/26/09 at 2:23 am

Cat

I would too.

Written By: snozberries on 03/26/09 at 2:10 pm

Maybe we need to find more African and African-American and African diaspora tales, and find our princesses there!   And in fact, quite a few of the Bible characters are black, and most of them are brown (Middle Eastern Jews/Hebrews and their neighbors).  They are not European, and they are not white!  I can't think of any specific Black biblical princesses offhand, but there are the Queen of Sheba in the OT, and Candace, the Queen of Ethiopia, in the NT!

Mufasa's Beautiful Daughters is a great African take on Cinderella. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/27/09 at 12:13 am

I think Brandy was Cinderella a few years back, although that wasn't a Disney production, I'm sure!

I do hope they have more diversity in their princesses in the next few years.  Princesses come in every color!  :)

Written By: woops on 03/27/09 at 1:06 am

There was a show on HBO with multi-cultural versions of Fairy Tales

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/09 at 11:43 am

I think Brandy was Cinderella a few years back, although that wasn't a Disney production, I'm sure!

I do hope they have more diversity in their princesses in the next few years.  Princesses come in every color!   :)

actually that was Disney...it was Disney tv movie. done for ABC or the Disney Channel. Whoopi played the Queen or something. 
Whitney Houston was the Fairy Godmother

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128996/

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/09 at 8:05 am

I do hope they have more diversity in their princesses in the next few years.  Princesses come in every color!   :)

A lot of the time, it is simply a matter of the original source tale.

For the most part, their sources have been European.  And in one case, the story was set in Africa, with what was essentially an animalized version of Hamlet.

About the only 3 stories that I can think of that were not of European origin are Mulan, Alladdin, and Pocahantis.

And their last attempt to make a story based on African folkstories is still banned to this day.  Even though there are rumors about it's release, it is doubtfull a legitimate copy will ever be released.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 04/06/09 at 7:33 pm

A lot of the time, it is simply a matter of the original source tale.

For the most part, their sources have been European.  And in one case, the story was set in Africa, with what was essentially an animalized version of Hamlet.

About the only 3 stories that I can think of that were not of European origin are Mulan, Alladdin, and Pocahantis.

And their last attempt to make a story based on African folkstories is still banned to this day.  Even though there are rumors about it's release, it is doubtfull a legitimate copy will ever be released.

Tell us more about this banned African folktale, please!

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/09 at 10:03 pm

Tell us more about this banned African folktale, please!

Well, we have discussed it in here before.  It is a movie about a series of Americanized African folk tales.  They had lived on as fables in the American South, and were also hidden stories about "putting one over on the massa".

The movie was Song Of The South, which was a movie version of several of the Uncle Remus stories.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/07/09 at 2:45 am

Well, we have discussed it in here before.  It is a movie about a series of Americanized African folk tales.  They had lived on as fables in the American South, and were also hidden stories about "putting one over on the massa".

The movie was Song Of The South, which was a movie version of several of the Uncle Remus stories.
and I believe Song of the South is still unavailable on video or dvd unless you get it from another country, but when you ride Splash Mountain at Disneyland, the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah"  is playing.

Written By: woops on 04/07/09 at 1:17 pm

I found  a Disney album with stories/songs from "Song of the South" (not sure if it's accurate since "Alice In Wonderland" didn't use the actual audio, though "Zap A Dee Doo Dah" sounds authentic) a few years ago.

From sources, it was last released on video tape in the US in 1986.

There's a few topics I posted about Un PC cartoons from the 20th century in the political forums (which I rarely speak of since I don't want to offend people and have others get the wrong impression of me).

Written By: Melanie Lee on 04/07/09 at 2:09 pm

and I believe Song of the South is still unavailable on video or dvd unless you get it from another country, but when you ride Splash Mountain at Disneyland, the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah"  is playing.

I've found a website that sells Song of the South:
http://officialsongofthesouth.com/

It also features a preview of the movie.

Look here, too:
http://www.songofthesouth4me.net/
http://www.onlyclassicmovies.com/songofthesouth.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAKhHcZM-Y&feature=PlayList&p=4C2DD2145D911124&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/07/09 at 2:36 pm

I've found a website that sells Song of the South:
http://officialsongofthesouth.com/

It also features a preview of the movie.

Look here, too:
http://www.songofthesouth4me.net/
http://www.onlyclassicmovies.com/songofthesouth.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAKhHcZM-Y&feature=PlayList&p=4C2DD2145D911124&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

oh cool. thanks. I wouldn't mind getting a copy & I don't think I've ever seen the movie, just clips. I'll check out these clips when i get home  :) 

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 1:10 am

I remember seeing Song of the South on cable (or VHS) in the early to mid 80s

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/08/09 at 1:11 am

I remember seeing Song of the South on cable (or VHS) in the early to mid 80s
you've rode Splash Mountain many times I'm sure

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 1:12 am

you've rode Splash Mountain many times I'm sure

plenty! never thought gave the playing of Zip a dee do da  a second thought tho...

Written By: Mushroom on 04/08/09 at 7:06 am

oh cool. thanks. I wouldn't mind getting a copy & I don't think I've ever seen the movie, just clips. I'll check out these clips when i get home  :) 

The movie is available on Torrent, if you are willing to look for it.  That is where I got my copy a few years ago.

I find it interesting, that Disney released some of their most racist movies a few years ago, and nobody protested.  Donald Duck In Nutzi Land is one of many in my collection, and the stereotypes in that movie are blatantly offensive today (but acceptable at the time it was made).

I would encourage anybody that wants it though to not buy it.  There is no legal copy available of this movie, so all you find are poor quality bootlegs.  They are no better then those you can download.

Like the Disney Treasures collections, I think this should be released.  And before the movie starts, have a respected film critic like Leonard Maltin talk about it, showing it both how it applies to the time it was made, and why it is considered not politically correct today.

Written By: woops on 04/08/09 at 2:45 pm

"Der Fuehrer's Face " is a great cartoon and only Donald Duck short to win an Oscar.

source

It was planned several years ago, but Robert Iger, the CEO of Disney, nixed it.

Bob Iger Axes Song of the South? April 18, 2006 7:15 pm

From yesterday’s entry on the blog of animation writer Earl Kress:
But getting back to “Song of the South,” there are two things I do know. It was definitely on the schedule to be released as one of the “Treasures” series, and Bob Iger, new head of The Walt Disney Company, recently sat down and watched it. It’s definitely not on the schedule any more.

UPDATE: Mark Evanier has more details about Iger’s specific reasons for not releasing the film. Iger said at the Disney shareholder’s meeting last month, “Owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture, balancing it with the desire to maybe increase our earnings a bit but never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our integrity, we’ve made the decision not to re-release it.”

The snare trap scene of "Song of the South" is on the "One Hour In Wonderland" special on the now out-of-print "Alice In Wonderland: Materpiece Edition" DVD. (forgotten about it until recently)

Written By: Samwise on 04/16/09 at 5:59 pm

It really bugs me that it took Disney this long to make a black princess, and she's an American. And the one time they set a movie in Africa, there were no people in it! What about a princess from ancient Nubia, or the Mali Empire? What about adapting an actual African folktale? (Not "Hamlet"-meets-Kimba the White Lion.) So many people are unaware of Africa's rich history. Disney seems to be oblivious to it as well.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/18/09 at 1:41 pm

It really bugs me that it took Disney this long to make a black princess, and she's an American. And the one time they set a movie in Africa, there were no people in it! What about a princess from ancient Nubia, or the Mali Empire? What about adapting an actual African folktale? (Not "Hamlet"-meets-Kimba the White Lion.) So many people are unaware of Africa's rich history. Disney seems to be oblivious to it as well.

You have to remember, Disney is in the entertainment business, not the ethnic diversity business.

And nobody seemed to notice that one of their most famous movies also had a radical change in the ethnicity of the main player.

Although Aladdin is often though of as being Arabic, in the original story it is said he was Chinese.  And the story occurs in China (in what is today known as Xinjiang, between Mongolia, Russia, and Pakistan).  And it was not all that long ago that they had their first "Chinese Princess".  And there has only been one "American Princess", a Native American.

Most of the stories came from European stories, either legendary, or literary.  And most of those have been twisted almost into unrecognizability.  Try reading The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, then watch the movie.

Esmerelda is 16, and she has a drunkard for a husband.  Phoebus is a soldier who tries to rape her.  Jehan Frollo, the slacker brother of Claude Frollo never appears.  And in the original story, Esmeralda is put to death.

Much as in The Lion King, where if it stayed true to the original story, Simba would have had Timon and Pumba put to death.

But some things have to be changed in the name of "entertainment".

Check for new replies or respond here...