inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Need Advice--HELP!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/26/09 at 4:34 pm

Hi Y'all!

As many of you might know, from my other thread, that I have a beauty pageant coming up. And I also have my 10-year-old client going to a pageant in South Carolina the same weekend. I am desinging the following items:

For me:

A Sportswear
A Talent Costume

For the 10-year-old:

A Formal Dress
A Sportswear
(Her Talent costums is store bought)

I am Black with medium brown skin and dark brown eyes and black hair. My ten year old is Black with a caramel complexion with green eyes and very dark brown hair.

Which colors do you think I should use in the outfits to compliment our complexions?

( I will post the sketches as I create them)

And if you're unfamiliar with the southern pageant world, here is an example of a ladies' and pre-teen dress and Sportswear:

http://nkconsignmentshoppe.com/consignments/Dresses/pixie6.jpg
Now this dress is short, but my client will be wearing a full length ball skirt for this pageant. And I usually design high glitz pieces. ( I didn't create that, but that's a look we're going for)

http://nkconsignmentshoppe.com/consignments/Dresses/jesj4.jpg
My pageant dress is this style, just in loud hot pink. (My boyfriend planned to bling me out with jewelry and focus on my facial beauty, rather than a dress. Though some of the ladies dresses are as high glitz as the children's dresses!)

http://nkconsignmentshoppe.com/consignments/Sportswear/clay7.jpg
This is typical for any age of contestant. Some have jackets that come off or sleeves or something.

Please answer everyone! I'm open to any suggestion!

Thank you!

Subject: Re: I Need Advice--HELP!

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/26/09 at 7:13 pm

I'd suggest green; especially for the girl with green eyes.  There's nothing more complimentary than to match an outfit to your eyes, I say. 

Written By: snozberries on 03/26/09 at 11:13 pm

I'd suggest green; especially for the girl with green eyes.  There's nothing more complimentary than to match an outfit to your eyes, I say. 

that's what I was thinking... I'm so bad at this tho...I don't really know.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/27/09 at 12:11 am

I'd always liked a sunny yellow fabric with brown skin, but maybe that's just me.  Not everybody can carry off the color.

This is a short guide that may (or may not) be helpful

http://reviews.ebay.com/Choose-the-right-clothing-colors-for-your-skin-tone_W0QQugidZ10000000000739742

http://members.tripod.com/lizandco_101/id32.html

http://www.articlealley.com/article_456537_34.html

What I might suggest also is to take a look at some recent Grammy or Oscar awards ceremonies where they review what stars wore to the ceremonies.  Look specifically for women of color and see what they are wearing and if either you or your client has similar coloring.  Usually stars have stylists that they pay thousands of dollars to pick out the perfect outfit for them.  They'd do alot better that I'd ever hope to help.

Good luck!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/27/09 at 6:55 pm

Hi Y'all!

@Ladybug and Snoz: I love the idea of putting the girl in green. As soon as I get clearance from hermother, I'll start on her sketches. I have completed  the sketch of my sportswear and now I'm trying to crete a talent costume. I'll be singing MJ's Rock with You, but I don't want to wear a head to two sequined jumpsuit. It's not 1980 anymore. LOL.  ;D

@Bookmistress: You're doing great! And the tips you gave me totally helped. You're worried that you didn't help? Do you think that every seamstress and every coach went to school to sew and teach? I'll tell you a secret--I've NEVER had a coach. My mother--bless her soul--helped me with my walk and everything and basically everything else I picked up from watching the older girls. How to walk, how to be cheeful and engaging in interview, and graceful in the formal wear. And now, I teach myself. My boyfriend and I choreographed my sportswears dance and my talent dance. We did it by ourselves with no coach. You helped. You gave advice.  ;)

If you have more advice, please post it! Thank you!

Written By: Frank on 03/28/09 at 1:28 am

Green is nice, I agree. Yellow would be my 2nd choice...
But with everyone else saying Green, that should mean something!

Go green...er...go with green.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/30/09 at 1:24 pm

Hey Y'all!

Green does seem to be t he popular choice. I'm trying out different ideas now, and I'll post the sketches shortly.  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/30/09 at 9:16 pm

Hi Y'all!

Well I finally loaded in a sketch. It's a sportswear for me: I hope you like it!

http://i44.tinypic.com/20jstw1.jpg

It's a one sleeved high glitz bodysuit that is Barbie pink and lime green. It has one mesh sleeve and one mesh glove. It is accented with crystals, bows and topped with a little hat.

More to come as I draw them!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/09 at 10:29 pm

that looks great!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/31/09 at 6:47 pm

;D

Thank you Snoz!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/31/09 at 6:52 pm

Yes that does look pretty.

Would love to see photos when it's done or after the pageant.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 9:57 pm

Yes that does look pretty.

Would love to see photos when it's done or after the pageant.  :)

me too!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/01/09 at 8:04 pm

Hi Y'all!

I'll try to get some pics of me at the pageant, but I'll have to ask the director is flash photgraohy is allowed. Since the entire JonBenet tradgedy, people are weary of photographs. But I'll see what I can do. I got you covered. LOL.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/09 at 9:40 pm

Hi Y'all!

I'll try to get some pics of me at the pageant, but I'll have to ask the director is flash photgraohy is allowed. Since the entire JonBenet tradgedy, people are weary of photographs. But I'll see what I can do. I got you covered. LOL.  ;)

I don't about your camera but my Sony Cyber shot takes great no flash pics

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/02/09 at 6:30 pm

Hi Everyone!

@Snoz: I'll see if I can have Dion sneak a digital camera into the pageant.  ;D

In the meantime, he's volunteered to blog on this thread for me about the pageant. I hope you don't have too much trouble reading his writing--he writes in letters and numbers like Prince. (Prince is his idol)
I leave for my pageant tomorrow morning.  :o

Wish me luck!  I wanna make y'all proud!  ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/02/09 at 6:38 pm

Good luck to you  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/03/09 at 7:05 pm

Wow, I can feel the love here.

Hi Everybody! I'm Tiffie's boyfriend, Dion. And I will NOT be writing in Prince-bonics because my Bunny asked me not to.  ;D I'm not the best at blogging, but I'll give it a shot.

We just checked into the hotel here in Houston for the Diamond Dynasty prelim pageant. There's three of us here. me, Tiffie and my sister Diana who's gonna do Tiffie's hair ang make up. The girls are downstaris somewhere registering and getting Tiffie's number and all. I'm just chilling, watching Purple Rain.  ;) I don't really have to do anything other than cheer. Tiffie is doing all the work. She's got four events, all day tomorrow--Beauty, Interview, Talent and Outfit of Choice. Then crowning. 

I'm not worried really. There's only six girls in her age division and I think she's the prettiest one.  ;) She's worried about Talent...her voice kept cracking while she sang in the car on the way to Houston. It's just nerves, she'll turn it on for the stage.  8)

:-\\ She is a little mad at me. She didn't want to do this prelim really, but i talked her into it for the practice--if she plans to go to Dynasty state.  :) I like to see her do pageants. It's nice to see your lady dressed up. And she is very talented, she can sing well.

Damn, I feel like Prince when my woman has a crown on her head!  ;)  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/queen.gif

Well the girls are coming back and we have to practice, but we thank you for all the kind comments.

And I hope we win something!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tongue3.gif

Peace and B Wild,
Dion

Written By: snozberries on 04/04/09 at 4:08 pm

Hi Everyone!

@Snoz: I'll see if I can have Dion sneak a digital camera into the pageant.  ;D

In the meantime, he's volunteered to blog on this thread for me about the pageant. I hope you don't have too much trouble reading his writing--he writes in letters and numbers like Prince. (Prince is his idol)
I leave for my pageant tomorrow morning.  :o

Wish me luck!  I wanna make y'all proud!  ;)

BEST OF LUCK TIF!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/04/09 at 4:11 pm

Dion...you're a great Boyfriend. Thanks for the update!  I can tell you're just brimming with pride.

Tell Tif we miss her and hope it all goes well!

I really want to hear her sing tho... so hook us up on youtube will ya?  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/04/09 at 5:54 pm

Hey Everyone!

It's Dion again!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tongue3.gif We just got back from Houston and everyone is pretty worn out. Tiffie is napping. LOL. I know you're wanting to know how she did, and I'll get to that in a moment. I just wanna kind of tell you how the day went.  ;D

We've been going since about five am. Tiffie had to get up early to get her hair and make up done, but man, she looked amazing when my sister got done with her. Like she's pretty anyway, but made up in pageant goop she's just...stunning. Like  :o <---that''s me.  And she wore this nice pink strapless dress, it was really simple so you looked at her face and smile....woo. She was s ocharming and graceful up onstage. She smiles "real" because she told me she pretends Michael Jackson is standing behind the judges, She was beautiful. I screamed like a White woman in church.  ;D

For interview, she got asked something aboit Obama, I didn't really hear her, I was just looking at her. She was so cute. All the girls had to wear a blue t-shirt and jeans and she looked good.

:-\\ Talent was okay. She sang a remix of Rock With You, and her voice cracked. She was pissed about it. But she looked GREAT. She wore a white bodysuit with a pink blinged out jacket--kind of like in Beat It, it was neat.

But she killed it in Pro-Am. That girl had to be a model in a former life, I mean she was grinning and twisting and spinning.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/blob9.gif I was sp proud.

When crowning came around we were all nerves. We all wanted Tiffie to win the big title, Elite Grand Supreme. She didn't win it.  :\'(

But she won the second highest title, Grand Supeme, and four other award--Pro-Am, Best Dressed, Most Beautilfl (aw hell yeah!) and Prettiest Smile. And she got some nice crowns and trophies. I'm extremely mproud of her. That's my Bunny.

Tiffie wanted me to thank you for the nice wishes and I'll try to hook you up with something!

Peace and B Wild,

Dion

PS--Tiffie will be on later.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/04/09 at 6:05 pm

Dion you tell a good story.... you screamed like a white woman in church... that's kind of funny....well to me anyway.

Second highest title is still good! Especially since she's been out of the game for a while!

Congrats Tif!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/04/09 at 9:47 pm

Congrats Tiff

We're proud of ya!

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/04/09 at 9:58 pm

Congratulations, Tiffanie! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif

Written By: karen on 04/04/09 at 10:08 pm

Congratulations

And thanks Dion for the great reports

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/15/09 at 6:19 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words!  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/15/09 at 7:28 pm

Do you have any pictures of the pageant?

Check for new replies or respond here...