inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about NHL hockey

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 11:28 pm

I've been watching Hockey since...oh...1968 or 1969. Seen lots of players, teams. Have collected thousands and thousands of Hockey cards (most I still have)

Ask me anything, past or present. Be happy to help out.

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about NHL hockey

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/09 at 11:37 pm

Why does Don Cherry wear his dang collars so high?  They look like they are almost choking his neck (almost isn't good enough LOL)

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 12:07 am

Why does Don Cherry wear his dang collars so high?  They look like they are almost choking his neck (almost isn't good enough LOL)

Don is Don, it's his style. That's what he wants..Sometimes he wears red suits, purple suits (I thought the 70's were over) but people listen to him, like him. He's funny at times..albeit I laugh with him and at him at the same time. Don loves the Bruins ( he coached them for a few years), loves the Maple Leafs and anyone from Kingston Ontario ( where he's from) of course, Bobby Orr, who can do no wrong. 

Don's probably gonna retire soon. He's 75 years young.

Written By: nally on 04/02/09 at 11:15 am

Did you ever have one of them Power Play Hockey games from Coleco? It was released roughly 20 years ago and it looked something like this:

http://tablehockeygames.com/colecopp.jpg

I remember that I had one, and the teams represented were the NY Islanders and the Philadelphia Flyers.

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 4:32 pm

Did you ever have one of them Power Play Hockey games from Coleco? It was released roughly 20 years ago and it looked something like this:

http://tablehockeygames.com/colecopp.jpg

I remember that I had one, and the teams represented were the NY Islanders and the Philadelphia Flyers.

I had something similar, I had 4 teams, Montreal, Toronto, LA Kings and Philadelphia.  I think I got the game just after expansion from 6 to 12 teams, (maybe around 1968 or 1969). It was fun to play. I can't recall who manufactured it tho.  I used to play for hours a day. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/09 at 12:55 am

I had one of those Power Play Games.  I don't remember what the teams were, but the one I had was from the very early 80s and had the Colorado Rockies logo amongst the logos on the side.  I actually bought a vintage Colorado Rockies jersey just because when I was a kid, that logo used to stand out to me the most

Don is Don, it's his style. That's what he wants..Sometimes he wears red suits, purple suits (I thought the 70's were over) but people listen to him, like him. He's funny at times..albeit I laugh with him and at him at the same time. Don loves the Bruins ( he coached them for a few years), loves the Maple Leafs and anyone from Kingston Ontario ( where he's from) of course, Bobby Orr, who can do no wrong. 

Don's probably gonna retire soon. He's 75 years young.

Don Cherry is one of the best loved Kingstonians, along with Kirk Muller and Doug Gilmour.  Speaking of Gilmour, he's the coach of the Kingston Frontenacs now and can often be seen around town.  I saw him in Loblaws the other day ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/05/09 at 12:56 am

I had one of those Power Play Games.  I don't remember what the teams were, but the one I had was from the very early 80s and had the Colorado Rockies logo amongst the logos on the side.  I actually bought a vintage Colorado Rockies jersey just because when I was a kid, that logo used to stand out to me the most

Now they're da Devils!  I think.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/09 at 12:57 am

Now they're da Devils!  I think.

Since 1982

Written By: Frank on 04/05/09 at 9:47 pm

Don Cherry is one of the best loved Kingstonians, along with Kirk Muller and Doug Gilmour.  Speaking of Gilmour, he's the coach of the Kingston Frontenacs now and can often be seen around town.  I saw him in Loblaws the other day ;D

And Kirk Muller is an asst coach with the HABS.

Since 1982 they are the devils

And prior to the Colorado Rockies, they were the Kansas City Scouts, came in the league in 1974-75 with Washington.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/09 at 5:47 pm

And Kirk Muller is an asst coach with the HABS. And prior to the Colorado Rockies, they were the Kansas City Scouts, came in the league in 1974-75 with Washington.

Indeed they were.  I wonder what people would say if I ever went to a Devils game and wore my Colorado Jersey.  Technically it is the same team, just under a different city and name :D

Written By: Frank on 04/08/09 at 1:29 am

Indeed they were.  I wonder what people would say if I ever went to a Devils game and wore my Colorado Jersey.  Technically it is the same team, just under a different city and name :D

I have a friend who still wear his Quebec Nordiques jersey when Colorado (Avalanche..not Rockies) plays and he insist that the Stanley cups won my Colorado belong to Quebec somehow.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/26/09 at 6:59 pm

Do you like the way the game has changed over the years?

Written By: Frank on 04/27/09 at 12:29 am

Do you like the way the game has changed over the years?

Looking back at 60's and 70's games, the first thing you notice was how slow the game was compared to now. The players are taller, bigger and faster now than ever before, doesn't leave much room on the ice.  That's one of the biggest problems I see now in the NHL.

The game is the 80's were the most exciting until about 1994. It's a little better since the lockout, but not as good as the 80's.  Mind you, the goalkeppers are much better than it the 80's (and the equipment makes the Goalies seem huge compared to 25 years ago.)  I doubt we'll see a 200 point season by an individual for a long time.

Written By: Zeb on 04/27/09 at 4:18 pm

I miss the Hartford Whalers I wish they would come back I used to like them just because they were called the Whalers and their logo was sweet.

Written By: Brigitte on 05/04/09 at 7:29 am

How many teams did Lanny Mcdonald play for? More than 2 in the NHL?

Written By: Frank on 05/04/09 at 11:13 am

How many teams did Lanny Mcdonald play for? More than 2 in the NHL?

Yes, Lanny played on more than 2 teams, he actually played on 3 NHL teams.
He began his career with Toronto, playes on a good line with Darryl Sittler and Tiger Williams. He was later traded to the Colorado Rockies and then to Calgary Flames, where in 1988-89, his final season, he scored his 500th NHL goal, 1000th point & won his first Stanley cup.

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/05/09 at 7:47 pm

Obviously the question is....Who is better....Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur?

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:49 am

how do they clean the blood off the ice? 

does someone have to retrieve the lost teeth after a game?

how did fightng become acceptable in Hockey?

what kind of license does one need to drive a Zamboni

how did the Zamboni get its name

What's your favorite Movie about hockey...

will you ask me questions in my thread? the link is in my sig line  :)

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 6:08 pm

Obviously the question is....Who is better....Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur?

Martin Brodeur is more consistant

how do they clean the blood off the ice? 

does someone have to retrieve the lost teeth after a game?

how did fightng become acceptable in Hockey?

what kind of license does one need to drive a Zamboni

how did the Zamboni get its name

What's your favorite Movie about hockey...

will you ask me questions in my thread? the link is in my sig line  :)

They clean blood of the ice with the ice itself and maybe some water and a rag
Don't recall if they look for teeth after a game. They usually look for it at the time when someone loses (hopefully didn't swallow) their teeth
Fighting has always been a part of hockey, it's part of the deal, not really anything to accept, it's just there.
The guy who invented the Zamboni, his name was Zamboni. Don't know if you require an actual license for one. But I'm sure there is some kind of "Zamboni school training".
Favorite hockey movie? Slapshot (the original from the late 70s)
Will I ask you questions in your thread? Yes.

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 10:20 pm

thanks frank...

are you required to like hockey because you come from canadia?

are there more than two teams in canadia? I can only come up with the Maple Leafs....thanks to Degrassi!!!

Slapshot huh? I haven't seen it...

what about:

Miracle
Mystery Alaska
Youngblood
Touch & Go
Mighty Ducks
MD II
MD III
Cutting Edge?  (Shut up....there was hockey in that!  >:( )  :D

Written By: Frank on 06/21/09 at 12:05 am

thanks frank...

are there more than two teams in canadia? I can only come up with the Maple Leafs....thanks to Degrassi!!!

what about:

Miracle
Mystery Alaska
Youngblood
Touch & Go
Mighty Ducks
MD II
MD III
Cutting Edge?  (Shut up....there was hockey in that!  >:( )  :D

Nope, but it's everywhere.

Accordng to Canada, there are 6 teams, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto
According to Toronto, there is only 1 team in Canada, Toronto.

Did I mention that they haven't made the finals in over 42 years? That all their Stanley cup highlites are in black and white?
According to the Toronto media and fans, Laffs have won 15 cups in the last 10 years.

Paul Newman was the star. Think the movie is from 1977. Lots of F-bombs if I remember
I've seen a few of the other ones you have listed.

Check for new replies or respond here...