inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ASK Me Anything about home renos.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/05/09 at 11:21 pm

ANYTHING!  Best way, cheapest best way, ask me.  Flooring for many reasons is my specialty.  I know stuff that no one outside the trades knows.

Subject: Re: ASK Me Anything about home renos.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 9:43 am

Is it true that humidity causes floorboards to come unglued off the floor?  ???  There's one floorboard in the living room that does that, and it doesn't seem to change with weather or with our humidifier setting.  That's what the handyman told me, that it'll go back into position if we just set the humidifier right, but it always has that telltale jut.  Anything we can do to fix it ourselves, since they won't?

Oh yeah, remember my little thing with the metal studs and the bracket for our rolly blind?  Do you think it helps to fix it during the summer, or can I do it now?  It'll be in the 50s to 60s around here for a bit, thought I'd do it before the sun really blasts through.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/06/09 at 10:14 am

Is it true that humidity causes floorboards to come unglued off the floor?  ???  There's one floorboard in the living room that does that, and it doesn't seem to change with weather or with our humidifier setting.  That's what the handyman told me, that it'll go back into position if we just set the humidifier right, but it always has that telltale jut.  Anything we can do to fix it ourselves, since they won't?

Oh yeah, remember my little thing with the metal studs and the bracket for our rolly blind?  Do you think it helps to fix it during the summer, or can I do it now?  It'll be in the 50s to 60s around here for a bit, thought I'd do it before the sun really blasts through.

Well you are such a sweetheart!

1) by floorboard I am guessing you have an engineered hardwood or laminate in a glued down application?  If the board is popping it's because it's warped - it was installed warped and should be repalced.  Humidity will cause solid hardwood to shrink and swell.  Engineered and laminate shrinking and swelling would be negligable.

2) I don't think it matters when you fix it, as long as the sun is not blasting.  Of course everything you do on an exterior wall should never be done during extreme temps.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 10:32 am

Dang.  I'll have to wait on my parents, it's not that big of a deal but it is very annoying for the board.

As for the brackets, it's on the inside wall that the rolly blind will be installed.  How do I find out for sure that I have metal studs though, without ripping apart the drywall?  I've spackled the hell out of that section of wall already, the drywall anchors don't go all the way through due to the way the studs are set up (RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO ANCHOR >:( ).  The only indication I have is that normal screws can't go in all the way (they should screw right into a wooden stud, but they just kind of stop) and they set off the stud finder.  I'll try to fix it in a couple weeks when we go out shopping again.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/06/09 at 10:48 am

Dang.  I'll have to wait on my parents, it's not that big of a deal but it is very annoying for the board.

As for the brackets, it's on the inside wall that the rolly blind will be installed.  How do I find out for sure that I have metal studs though, without ripping apart the drywall?  I've spackled the hell out of that section of wall already, the drywall anchors don't go all the way through due to the way the studs are set up (RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO ANCHOR >:( ).  The only indication I have is that normal screws can't go in all the way (they should screw right into a wooden stud, but they just kind of stop) and they set off the stud finder.  I'll try to fix it in a couple weeks when we go out shopping again.

can you post a picture?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/09 at 11:40 am

we want to put a backsplash in our kitchen and want it to be unusual but not too much money. My kitchen is like a 50s diner theme...would tile be the best/easiest material for the backsplash, in your opinion? :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/06/09 at 11:48 am

can you post a picture?

We shall tonight 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/14/09 at 7:09 pm

So I needed to know what kinds of screws you told me to use for metal studs again please.  Should I get them super long so they go all the way through the stud?  I think the rolly-blind weighs about 10-15 pounds...I suppose I could ask Home Depot guy too, but figured you had good ideas :D

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:43 am

can you send someone to my house to fix my bathroom floor for free?

oh and would you ask me some questions in my thread? The link is in my sig line

Written By: barefootrobin on 06/25/09 at 2:19 pm

can you send someone to my house to fix my bathroom floor for free?

oh and would you ask me some questions in my thread? The link is in my sig line

If you lived near me I could arrange omething, problem is nothing is ever free.  I will ask questions - really busy right now, trainig new hires....

Check for new replies or respond here...