inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About Fashion or Make Up!!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/29/09 at 6:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

As many of you know, I have several Ask Me threads that range from Michael Jackson to James Stewart. But there is more to me than a love of wonderful male stars.  I really have a love of make up and fashion. I have a background in beauty pageants and I've learned that you have to know who you are and your own style before you plop down before a stylist. And I've been giving advice to my friends for YEARS.

http://www.enviroblog.org/makeup.jpg

So if anyone has any kind of question about make up or fashion, PLEASE ask me!  ;)

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About Fashion or Make Up!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/09 at 7:36 am

Have you, or are you planning on seeing the Chris Rock movie Good Hair?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/30/09 at 5:15 pm

Hi Annie!

Right now, I'm tied up with seeing This Is It, as much as I can right now, but if the CR movie is still playing when the TII engaement is over, I'll go see it.  ;D I love Chris Rock. He's a scream.

Please assk more questions!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/04/09 at 9:07 pm

Oh my God!  :(

Doesn't anyone have anything they want to ask?

What the hottest eyeliner shade is?
Can you really wear White after Labor Day?

Anything?

Please ask!   :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/04/09 at 9:15 pm

What's your favorite brand of makeup?

Do you like false eyelashes or eyelash curlers?

Any tips on dressing for (ahem) more mature women (re: over 40)?  Any tips on dressing for women with a little more... everything (re: more then pleasingly plump)?

How do you decide what clothes to keep and what to donate to charity?  How often should you decide to do this?

What's your position on glitter makeup?  (no, not for me (who is described above, over 40 and more then pleasingly plump))

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/05/09 at 8:07 pm

Hi Book!  :)

--I love a brand called Black Radiance, which is specially made for African-American skin colors and textures. But I also use more mainstream brands like Cover Girl and Rimmel. I'm dying to get my hands on some Smashbox cosmetics, but none of the stores in town sell it.

--I don't like eyelashes. I use them in pageants and one lid always gets glued shut. LOL. I use my eyelash curler maybe every other day. I only do that, because I don't want to over crimp the lash and make it fall out. Then I'll have to buy Latisse...LOL.

--I would be able to answe that question if I had an idea of what you look like. But in general, if you're over forty, it's not exactly about following trends, it's more about dressing for your body shape. You can wear any color as long as it compliments your hair, eye and skin tone. And for a more curvy lady, it's all about proportions. Be happy, you can pull off bolder prints, bolder jewelry and chunkier heels on shoes.  If you could give me a photo to work with I can help even more. But I hope my advice helped. Dressing your age does not mean you gonna look like one of the Golden Girls. But you can't wear something a 20 year old would wear. Hell, I'm 23 and can't wear what the 20 year olds wear. LOL. It's just about being a little more sophisticated.

--I decide by what the heck fits. My size 26 jeans are far too large (since I am a 12 now) and off they went with some funny looking Bill Cosby type sweaters I had . LOL. And I decide maybe once a year. My pageant clothes get sold to other pageant people on resaling sites. (My boyfriend handles all that. LOL) But I'm alot better than my boyfriend. He has quite a bunch of Prince like clothing--since that seems his obsession--and he keeps to a strict diet so that he can fit into stuff that he's had made a long ago as 8 or 9 years. He's a packrat. LOL.

--Glitter Makeup. I think if you're over 16 tops, you should use it sparingly, if at all. You have to watch how and where you put it,or you can look cheap. I prefer "shimmer" as opposed to glitter. I just recently bought an eyeshadow palatte and they really GLITTER. They didn't look as loud in the package, but when I put it on, I looked like who did it and why! So to kind of down play it, I'll apply it (no more than 2-3 shades) and then run a tuissue over it to kind of soften it. I mean it's 2009, I don't want to look like I'm going to meet Mick Jagger at Studio 54. LOL.  :)

http://m.pimpmyspace.org/pimp/1/3f/3f2dae72376e8505e2c5.jpg
That's a NO NO!

Wonderful questions! Please ask more!

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 7:24 pm

Okey doke, are there unwritten rules about what colour you should/shouldn't wear with each other?

Written By: wildcard on 01/29/10 at 11:02 am

^ why were you thinking about trying some make up, dolly

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/10 at 11:17 am

Okey doke, are there unwritten rules about what colour you should/shouldn't wear with each other?

Like pink and green?  8-P

Written By: Bobby on 01/29/10 at 4:08 pm

^ why were you thinking about trying some make up, dolly

You cheeky so-and-so.  ;D

I was thinking about clothes. For example, I was told sometime back that wearing blue and black together is not a good idea. Been told that before?

Ladies usually have a better dress sense than men so maybe you all could point in the right direction as I plan on overhauling my wardrobe.

And if you can tell me the best eye-liner to wear while you are at it all the better...  :D ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/29/10 at 7:01 pm

Hi Y'all!  :)

@ Ringo:  Well with make up it's really about your hair skin and eye color. Like you wouldn't expect a white, blue eyed blond woman wearing red eyeshadow. She'd look like she'd gone on a 24 hour bender.  ;D But you also have to consider your clothing. The louder the clothes, the more suble and nuertal the make up should be. Orange and white zebra print dress? Leave the lavender shadow ALONE!

Now as far as mixing colors in an outfit, for a man, he CAN wear blue and black. Not NAVY blue but you can wear cobalt or cornflower blue. There has to be a contrast. Navy and black or both nuetrals. You wanna kind of be eyecatching for the ladies. I love to see a well dressed man. My boyfriend dresses well and isn't scared of color. So just try, and see what you can come up with.

If you'd like, gimme a descriiption of yourself and I'll give some pointers!

Thanks for asking and please ask more!

Written By: Bobby on 01/29/10 at 7:22 pm

Hi Y'all!  :)

@ Ringo:  Well with make up it's really about your hair skin and eye color. Like you wouldn't expect a white, blue eyed blond woman wearing red eyeshadow. She'd look like she'd gone on a 24 hour bender.  ;D But you also have to consider your clothing. The louder the clothes, the more suble and nuertal the make up should be. Orange and white zebra print dress? Leave the lavender shadow ALONE!

I'm not likely to wear make-up but I will certainly bear that advice in mind.  ;D 8)

Well, I am actually Bobby on the boards but the notorious Profile Bandit has been tiddling about with my username, lol. You can call me Rob if you like. :)

Now as far as mixing colors in an outfit, for a man, he CAN wear blue and black. Not NAVY blue but you can wear cobalt or cornflower blue. There has to be a contrast. Navy and black or both nuetrals. You wanna kind of be eyecatching for the ladies. I love to see a well dressed man. My boyfriend dresses well and isn't scared of color. So just try, and see what you can come up with.

Ah, now that does sound like common-sense. A lot of blokes (I have done it too) wear the navy blue and black trousers/jeans thing and it's kind of overpowering and yet not that clever. I believe it's purely because a lot of men stick to what they know and they know that if they wear navy blue and black they won't be called a pansy.

If you'd like, gimme a descriiption of yourself and I'll give some pointers!

Hmmmm. I'm 6'1, medium to stocky build (I think), very short hair, green-ish eyes and size 10 shoe (though I think that's 10.5 in the US). I think I have a photo in the photo thread somewhere but I would like to put one up showing me a little thinner than I was sometime soon.

Thanks for asking and please ask more!

Thank you kindly and I will once I can think of something.

Written By: silhouette on 03/16/10 at 10:06 pm

Like pink and green?

Sailor Jupiter would like a word with you  ;D ;) http://prissypinkstefie.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fight.gif

Okay, I'm a teenage girl and I'd like some tips please. You seem to know what you're talking about so that's great.  ;D

1. What shades look best with greyish/dull blue eyes? My eyes always look a bit lifeless... I've been told brown, but usually I pick a shade that's too orangey and then it looks bad against my skin. Does my skin have blue undertones or pink, do you think, from that description?

2. Do short necklaces look bad with turtlenecks?

3. Will certain shades of makeup or clothing look bad on you depending on your hair color? I have blondish, almost strawberry blonde hair and I'm afraid of green.

4. How do you fit a jacket or dress properly for a person with broad shoulders and large breasts? I've got a small waist and really narrow hips so I look sort of silly.

5. Is there a good way to keep your hair from getting frizzy from humidity?

6. Can you make eyes look nice behind glasses with your makeup? Should you do it differently if you wear contacts?

Thanks for any help you can give  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...