inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about the Film Noir genre!

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 4:00 am

Trying to track down a good Film Noir from the 30's/40's/50's? Want to discuss what constitutes the genre? Neo-noir, classic noir, too. Shoot me any question you might have.  ;D

Subject: Re: Ask me about the Film Noir genre!

Written By: Midas on 03/17/10 at 4:09 pm

I'll admittedly plead ignorance about this subject.  Can you provide a few examples of films from this genre?

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 4:22 pm

Film Noir itself is usually defined as crime dramas from the 40's and 50's-- usually plots about, say, murders, heists, con games, and men or women trying to clear their names of wrongly accused crime. A lot of times the story is told in a flashback/flash forward style. They're in black and white, but the cinematogrophy is played with by making dark shadows.

Some films that you'll probably hear of cited by any film noir buff:

Two of the earliest ones are some that you'll probably hear of: first, The Maltese Falcon. Probably the most famous example of the genre. Then there's Double Indemnity. A lot of them were based off of crime novels of the time, a notable author of this being Raymond Chandler. One by him is The Postman Always Rings Twice. Other examples you might see:

•Laura (1944)
•Murder, My Sweet (1944)
•Detour (1945)
•The Blue Dahlia (1946)
•The Big Sleep (1946)
•The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
•Gilda (1946)
•Out of the Past (1947)
•The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
•Nightmare Alley (1947)
•Key Largo (1948)
•The Third Man (1949)
•In A Lonely Place (1950)
•Sunset Boulevard (1950)
•Dead On Arrival (1950)
•The Big Combo (1955)
•Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
•Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
•The Wrong Man (1957)
•Touch of Evil (1958)

And then there's always the genre called "Neo Noir", often films in noir-inspired CyberPunk settings. The most obvious example of this is Blade Runner.

Written By: Midas on 03/17/10 at 4:29 pm

Excellent!  Thanks! :)

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 5:42 pm

You're welcome. If you're just starting out with the genre, a good one to see first would be Murder, My Sweet. It's a pretty good one and an easy watch.

Written By: ralfy on 03/25/16 at 7:53 am

On the 75th anniversary of "The Maltese Falcon,"

"Classic Hollywood: Humphrey Bogart endures, as time goes by"

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-classic-hollywood-newsletter-20160219-story.html

Written By: Toon on 03/26/16 at 3:21 am

Neo-Noir?! Awesome! I was always big into Neo-Noir/Cyberpunk things like Blader Runner. I'm actually curious on your opinion of Blade Runner.

Written By: ralfy on 04/21/16 at 8:19 pm

"Blade Runner 2 Has Found Its Female Lead"

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Blade-Runner-2-Has-Found-Its-Female-Lead-126417.html

Check for new replies or respond here...