inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Need A Classic Movie Expert!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/03/10 at 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone!

I need some help. I love the 1944 musical "Meet Me in St. Louis" starring Judy Garland and directed by Vincente Minelli. Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the house that the family lives in, in the film. What I want to know is, is that a real house or just a set built on a soundstage that got bulldozed after the film wrapped. I love the loook of the house and was wondering if I could find more pictures of the home, as I love Victorian/Edwardian architercture and decorating. (Edwardian as the film is set in 1903-1904)

Thanks!
  :)

Subject: Re: I Need A Classic Movie Expert!

Written By: Frank on 07/03/10 at 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone!

I need some help. I love the 1944 musical "Meet Me in St. Louis" starring Judy Garland and directed by Vincente Minelli. Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the house that the family lives in, in the film. What I want to know is, is that a real house or just a set built on a soundstage that got bulldozed after the film wrapped. I love the loook of the house and was wondering if I could find more pictures of the home, as I love Victorian/Edwardian architercture and decorating. (Edwardian as the film is set in 1903-1904)

Thanks!

I have seen the film and it's a lovely house. According to wiki, The Victorian hose Benson house at 5135 Kensington Avenue, St. Louis, Mo. longer exists. After being sold, it fell into disrepair, eventually became uninhabitable, and was demolished in 1994

Try this link for more info
http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/12/13/meet-me-in-st-louis-the-victorian-on-kensington-ave/

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/04/10 at 11:40 am

*screaming in horror*

They toreit down? OH no!  :(

But thank you for the info I appreciate it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/10 at 11:55 am

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/StLouis.jpg

The site as seen on Google Earth.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/10 at 9:05 am

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

truth of the matter is... like most things produced by Hollywood. Most of the film was done at MGM studios on a sound stage...

Check out this link if you want more info on the behind scenes stuff... there's lots of info about Judy Garland arriving late. You can see memos that show she was enroute to the studio....or left thru the gate.... all clear indications that principal photography occurred at MGM studios in LA.

Here's an article I found about the area of MGM Studios that was built specifically for Meet Me in St. Louis:

St Louis Street, the MGM back lot where the streets were lined with Victorian homes built for Meet Me in St. Louis, is now sadly gone.

In 1970, MGM auctioned off most of its property, including St. Louis Street. Lot 3 was 80 acres with a lake, where they filmed Meet Me in St. Louis and all the MGM features. Now it’s lined with condos instead.

Check for new replies or respond here...