inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were My Rights Violated?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/15/11 at 6:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I know from time to time on the Rant thread you’ve heard me complain about my dialysis treatments. But today, I really feel as though my rights as a patient were violated today. In hospitals--lord knows I’ve seen more than my fair share of them--I know that a person has the right to refuse treatment for any reason. And in dialysis, if a person wants to get off the machine before their go time is over they give you a little slip to sign knowing that you’re aware of the risks and all that sort of thing. And then you’re taken off and go ahead on home.

Well today, I was feeling just awful, nauseous and sweating, and since my dad was parked right outside the building, with about 30 minutes left of a 3 hour stay, I asked to be let off. Now, I mean I was in bad shape, dry heaving and all. So I kept waiting and waiting for the nurse to come get me off and give me the paper. I kept glancing at the machine and it was pumping and I assumed that it was left pumping to keep my blood from clotting. And after what seemed like a long time, I happened to notice that the little timer on the machine said 3 minutes left, instead of the 30 where it had started. So finally I called the nurse and asked her was I still on treatment and she looked like she was scared and said yeah. At first I thought she’d gone and told my dad I wanted to get off and he’d said no. I would have understood if my dad had said no--he always says no to me getting off early.
But the nurse said that it wasn’t her that left me on, it was her supervisor that said to leave me on. And that burned me up. Nobody said a damn thing to me about anything. If someone would have opened their mouth and told me to stay on, I might have willingly done it.
But because no one asked me or told me anything it makes me mad.
That damn supervisor is not my mother. I know who my mother is and she’s been in Heaven almost three years!
I am twenty-four years old. I believe I have the right to some say in what I do and don’t do.
Everyday I sit in dialysis and see other people sign off with no trouble at all and I honestly don’t know what that woman was doing, or thought she was doing.
But I do know I am mad.
And if my rights as a patient have been violated, what can I do?

Subject: Re: Were My Rights Violated?

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/11 at 6:48 pm

You should file a complaint with the patient relations director of of the hospital.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/15/11 at 7:41 pm

Yes they were!  You absolutely have the right to refuse treatment even if your father told her (unless, of course, you have legal documents stating otherwise).  This woman and her supervisor should be reported immediately to the patient advocate (every hospital should have one).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/15/11 at 8:21 pm

Thanks guys.

But it's not a hospital I take dialysis at. It's an outpatient facility I guess is the best way to say it. I would report it, but I don't know who is over that supervisor and I really don't want to step on any toes that get me kicked out of getting a kidney.

But once I have that kidney, I'll be hell on wheels.  >:(

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/15/11 at 8:58 pm

You march in there, clear your throat and say:  "What happened on Tuesday will NOT happen again.  When I say I'm leaving, I mean it!  With or without having signed your damned consent form!"

By the way, it would be illegal and immoral to hold a kidney from you also.  Even if you were a blazing a-hole (and of course, we know you are not)!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/15/11 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Y'all!

I don't know what the hell that woman's problem with me is. She also spoke about raising my time up from three hours. I don't know why. Except for having one mineral that's a little elevated, my charts are immaculate. My blood gets cleaned appropriately, and for the most part, I'm eating and doing the right things. Other people have to be on protien supplements and stuff, I don't.  All I said was I was tired. Well damn it, I've got a right to be TIRED. I go to dialysis 3 times a week where blood is literally drained out of me and put back in. Then I have to help care for an elderly father. I've got a right to be tired. The people at the facility act like you go in there and should go skipping out with rainbows and unicorns dancing around you.

Last week I had a painful blemish on my backside, and had to miss a day of dialysis because I couldn't sit upright for treatment. I cried 4 fours and nights with it prior to today. The day I missed, one of the other nurses had the nerve to tell me to go get the blemish lanced and to come on in.  >:( Michael Jackson couldn't have gotten me to go to that place after a surgery in the same day. Those people act like I must have no feelings or something. Trust me, it takes a lot of coffee and preparation to appear happy and upbeat in that place.

ALOT.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/15/11 at 9:44 pm

(((HUGS))) to you, Tiff.  I'm so sorry you've been dealt such a raw deal.  You would think these women would have some compassion!  >:(  I hope things get easier for you.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/17/11 at 4:48 pm

Awww Tiff, unfortunately I know some women who work in dialysis at our hospital and they are NOT sympathetic. I think your place of treatment may be in that kind of mode as well.  Many people who are there, have done the damage to their bodies themselves and since it is a lengthy procedure many patients are not kind to them either. They get yelled at to speed things up and people whine about the sticks etc...  (it sounds horrible in either position).  Lots of young people are there because they tried to poorly commit suicide and their kidneys are shutting because of ibuprofen overdose (which is taken by these medical personal, as a poor way of committing suicide and really just a lousy cry for attention).  or the older people whose kidney's are shutting down because of alcohol poisoning and such.  I know the people who work there are "good" people, outside of their work place, but it seems as if all the "caring" has been forced out of them.  Either by abuse from patients, or the abuse that patients go through to do the job.  Sometimes they have said they have to "force" people whatever way they can, to stay on the treatments for the patients own good.  Sometimes the patient cannot be a disciplinarian, so they have to do it for them; so the patient can last long enough for kidney.  I guess it is one of those thankless jobs. 

Sorry it seems you are in this kind of position.  I pray you get your kidney soon, and tomorrow is a new day, chin up....

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/11 at 6:11 pm

^thing is Sami- the staff should have access to medical files and know why people ended up on dialysis. If Tiffeny's problem is related to a medical issue & not self inflicted they should be aware and not treat her like the random dirtbag who drank his away. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/17/11 at 6:19 pm

^thing is Sami- the staff should have access to medical files and know why people ended up on dialysis. If Tiffeny's problem is related to a medical issue & not self inflicted they should be aware and not treat her like the random dirtbag who drank his away. 
I agree, no where did I say it is right.  Even the people whom work there know it should not be that way.  Just over the years of abuse from patients, and some of the patients self destructive behavior (which is why they force the issue with some patients to finish the process), and the fact that they (the ones working dialysis) know they are inflicting pain on the patients simply by doing the process (they hear about it all the time), they have became hardened.  I think we all can say this, or atleast I know I can, I have students whom I know can do the work, are capable, I have contacted parents, I have given extended time, I have nagged, pleaded and begged and I still cannot get work from them.  I have to fail them, because no where have they given me the opportunity to see what it is they can do.  I feel like I just do not even care now...

Check for new replies or respond here...