inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me About Buying Junk And Selling Antiques

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/12 at 5:30 pm

I'm sure most people around here knows that Carlos & I buy junk & sell antiques. It is a lot of fun-and it can be quite profitable.

So, ask away.

Cat

Subject: Re: Ask Me About Buying Junk And Selling Antiques

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/12 at 6:52 pm

No need to ask here.  I love going on the antique trail, and in Sig I have my own personal talking encyclopedia.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/20/12 at 7:23 pm

Cat, How much can I get for my PS2 video game console?  ???  PS2 was popular about 12 years ago.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/20/12 at 9:38 pm

How long have you been buying and selling antiques?

Jessica.

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/12 at 11:35 pm

Cat, How much can I get for my PS2 video game console?  ???  PS2 was popular about 12 years ago.

That's not an antique lOl

Written By: gibbo on 03/21/12 at 1:40 am

It might qualify in the 'junk' category!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/12 at 4:51 am

The best tips on antiques I have ever gotten were from the "Lovejoy" series by Jonathan Gash.  The books could be fun, could be boring, y'know, standard mystery series stuff, but he did have knowledge of the seamy side of the antiques trade and wasn't shy to tell you about some of the tricks of the trade.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/12 at 6:54 am

It isn't an antique nor would it be considered junkie but I just thought she could answer my question about buying stuff in general.

Written By: basscatfrank on 03/21/12 at 11:47 am

There use to be a store near me that had a sign out front that read, "We Sell Antiques". There was another sign on the back of the store that read, "We Buy Junk."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/12 at 11:54 am

I really don't know for sure. It depends on the condition. I did a quick search on eBay and some are going for over $100 and some not so much. 

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/12 at 11:58 am

How long have you been buying and selling antiques?

Since 2006. It began when we went to an auction that was selling coins. They had some old plates that sold for a $1. Carlos bought them. I looked at him wondering why he bought them. He said that we could sell them on eBay-and that was the start of it.

Cat

Jessica.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/12 at 12:01 pm

No need to ask here.  I love going on the antique trail, and in Sig I have my own personal talking encyclopedia.  :)

I am the encyclopedia in this partnership-but I do the research. EVERYTHING we buy, I do research on it. I try to do the research BEFORE we buy it-thanks to our auctioneer who posts photos & such on his website prior to the auction. That way, we go into the auction knowing exactly how much we can get for something and place bids accordingly.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/12 at 12:02 pm

There use to be a store near me that had a sign out front that read, "We Sell Antiques". There was another sign on the back of the store that read, "We Buy Junk."

I SOOOO want those signs.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/21/12 at 7:18 pm

I really don't know for sure. It depends on the condition. I did a quick search on eBay and some are going for over $100 and some not so much. 

Cat

I went into Gamestop this afternoon on my break and I asked about the trade-in value for a PS2 that was 12 years old when it first came out and he said "$12.00" cash and trade-in value $15, I said to myself Wow, PS2 has become obsolete!  :o

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 03/22/12 at 2:39 am

I have a "Hall" pitcher (6 cup) that's in good condition.  Do you know anything about them?  If so, is it worth anything?

Written By: Howard on 03/22/12 at 7:01 am

I have a Gameboy from 1989, not in the best condition How much would it be worth? ???

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/12 at 10:18 am

I have a Gameboy from 1989, not in the best condition How much would it be worth? ???

50 cents 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/12 at 10:41 am

Ok, when I started this thread, it wasn't my intent that this would become an Antiques' Roadshow where I will give appraisals for things. The thing is, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have seen some things go for one price one day and the exact same thing go for less or more on a different day.

What I THOUGHT this thread would be about, is the business end of it-what do look for, what some of our mistakes were, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/22/12 at 12:29 pm

How did you get into the "flea market" aspect of the business?  I've seen others have booths and wondered if they really sold enough to support the booth being open only on weekends. 

Do you ever buy things from people that may bring things into the market to show you? 

Do you ever watch any of those shows such as "Flea Market Finds by the Kovels" or "Cash in the Attic" or "Cash and Cari" (among hundreds of other shows out there?

Written By: Howard on 03/22/12 at 1:24 pm

50 cents

Aw C'mon it can't be worth a measley 50c can't it? ??? I've had it for about 20 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/12 at 3:19 pm

How did you get into the "flea market" aspect of the business?  I've seen others have booths and wondered if they really sold enough to support the booth being open only on weekends.

We don't do the "flea market scene" but we could. I have family members who do and it can be hard. You have to get there early to set up and then you are there ALL DAY!! I'm sure most of those people at flea markets have other jobs and/or other venues.

We had a booth at a local antiques' mall. We just set up our booth and that was it. We would go back about once a week to check on things, move things around, change out inventory, etc. But alas, our antiques' mall closed down due to the owner retiring. We are hoping that someone buys the place and keeps it as an antiques' mall. In the meanwhile, we are looking for another venue-other than eBay.

Do you ever buy things from people that may bring things into the market to show you? 

I'm not too sure what you are asking.  :-
Do you ever watch any of those shows such as "Flea Market Finds by the Kovels" or "Cash in the Attic" or "Cash and Cari" (among hundreds of other shows out there?

All the time, not to mention Storage Wars, American Pickers, and of course, Antiques' Roadshow.

I am not familiar with Flea Market Finds by the Kovels. I am familiar with the Kovels and use their website all the time to try to price an item.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/12 at 8:29 pm

Aw C'mon it can't be worth a measley 50c can't it? ??? I've had it for about 20 years.

you said it's not in good condition...

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/12 at 8:32 pm

^storage wars... I totally wanna do that!

I once went to a storage clearance sale... I ended up buying a full on safe for $100. I was a big sucker about 3cubic ft or so...  I had a friend who was a locksmith... he broke into it for me and reset the combo... there was nothing inside.  What sucked was after the safe they brought out a slot machine-I couldn't afford it cuz I'd just bought the safe... the slot machine was cool plus you could hear the money inside...that would've been a better deal.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/22/12 at 11:05 pm

We don't do the "flea market scene" but we could. I have family members who do and it can be hard. You have to get there early to set up and then you are there ALL DAY!! I'm sure most of those people at flea markets have other jobs and/or other venues.

We had a booth at a local antiques' mall. We just set up our booth and that was it. We would go back about once a week to check on things, move things around, change out inventory, etc. But alas, our antiques' mall closed down due to the owner retiring. We are hoping that someone buys the place and keeps it as an antiques' mall. In the meanwhile, we are looking for another venue-other than eBay.

I'm not too sure what you are asking.  :-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkgAdcwjZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahGvtGjho8

Written By: Howard on 03/23/12 at 6:43 am

you said it's not in good condition...

What I meant was not in the "greatest condition" but it still works.

Written By: snozberries on 03/23/12 at 10:19 am

What I meant was not in the "greatest condition" but it still works.

it's still not worth much...

an original game boy in good condition lists anywhere from $10-$25 on ebay.  The problem you have howard is your item is not rare and not in good condition so there are a lot of other choices out there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/12 at 10:38 am

^storage wars... I totally wanna do that!

I once went to a storage clearance sale... I ended up buying a full on safe for $100. I was a big sucker about 3cubic ft or so...  I had a friend who was a locksmith... he broke into it for me and reset the combo... there was nothing inside.  What sucked was after the safe they brought out a slot machine-I couldn't afford it cuz I'd just bought the safe... the slot machine was cool plus you could hear the money inside...that would've been a better deal.

We would never do the storage unit thing. It is too much of a gamble. You really don't know what you are buying. I know some people get off on that-but we prefer to know what we are getting into BEFORE we purchase.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/12 at 10:44 am

Sorry, I don't know why I thought you guys had a booth at a flea market.  :-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkgAdcwjZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahGvtGjho8

Watching those shows helps us to keep an eye out for items that we may not think would be worth our while. But what I really hate about shows like Storage Wars, the finally tally is what they say they are going to ask for it. Anyone in this business will tell you that you can ask a price but that doesn't mean you are going to get it. There have been many times when we have a price listed but we ended up selling it for less. Or they have been times when we will just bring our prices down so it will sell.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/23/12 at 12:04 pm

I know in order to call things antiques they must be of a certain age, correct?

My mom had lots of jewelry from the 50' and 60's are those considered antique or vintage?  Are the terms interchangeable?

Speaking of antiques, I saw a guy driving a '79 Old Cutlass, my first car.  It had an ANTIQUE CAR tag!!  Man, I feel old.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/12 at 1:14 pm

I know in order to call things antiques they must be of a certain age, correct?

My mom had lots of jewelry from the 50' and 60's are those considered antique or vintage?  Are the terms interchangeable?

Speaking of antiques, I saw a guy driving a '79 Old Cutlass, my first car.  It had an ANTIQUE CAR tag!!  Man, I feel old.  ;D

The "official" definition of Antique is 100 years. But, some people will call things antique when it is not. The proper term for your Mom's jewelry is vintage. When selling things that you want to make it sound good-"vintage" is a good term to use for things at least 20 years old.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/23/12 at 2:11 pm

Watching those shows helps us to keep an eye out for items that we may not think would be worth our while. But what I really hate about shows like Storage Wars, the finally tally is what they say they are going to ask for it. Anyone in this business will tell you that you can ask a price but that doesn't mean you are going to get it. There have been many times when we have a price listed but we ended up selling it for less. Or they have been times when we will just bring our prices down so it will sell.

Cat

Yeah that's what I thought about all those shows.  When I see those restaurants all decorated up with kitschy memorabilia or antique wall decorations (think Applebee's or Cracker Barrel), I know they aren't paying $400 f0r a sign.  ;D ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/23/12 at 7:23 pm

it's still not worth much...

an original game boy in good condition lists anywhere from $10-$25 on ebay.  The problem you have howard is your item is not rare and not in good condition so there are a lot of other choices out there.

It's ok I'll take any price someone offers to me.

Written By: snozberries on 03/23/12 at 8:59 pm

It's ok I'll take any price someone offers to me.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/12 at 6:48 am

What about the games? How much are they worth?  ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 9:23 am

What about the games? How much are they worth?  ???

Look on eBay and see what people have their games listed for. Or take them to Gamestop.

If you say you'll take whatever you'll give me chances are you are going to get the least amount of money for it.

Written By: europa on 03/27/12 at 9:54 pm

What are the best in your hand? What would you recommend?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/12 at 10:42 am

What are the best in your hand? What would you recommend?

I'm not too sure what you are asking.  :-[

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/05/12 at 12:29 am

When you travel (if not for unfortunate reasons) do you like to antique shop?

Would you sell any of your coins at your booth?

Do you ever "fix-up/strip paint/varnish" off of furniture you may acquire for your booth?

Written By: Howard on 04/05/12 at 6:46 am

How long would you have to keep something before it becomes an antique?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/12 at 7:26 am

When you travel (if not for unfortunate reasons) do you like to antique shop?

Would you sell any of your coins at your booth?

Do you ever "fix-up/strip paint/varnish" off of furniture you may acquire for your booth?

We don't usually do the antique shop thing-not saying that I wouldn't mind but Carlos hates to shop (and it doesn't matter what kind of shopping) so we don't usually. We do stop at yard sales from time to time. Now, if I were with my sisters-HELL YA we will go to every antique shop in a 100 mile radius.  :D ;D ;D ;D Believe it or not, there aren't many antique shops in Puerto Rico. The last time we were down there, we actually saw a yard sale-I think that was the first one we had seen down there.

I wouldn't sell any of my coins at the booth because a few years ago, I sold a WHOLE bunch of my extra coins at auction. I made a BIG booboo when I did. I should have sold a few in one auction and then a few more in another instead of all in one auction. The following auction after I sold mine, there were some more coins and they went much higher than mine did-because they were the only coins. With my auction, the bidders were saying to themselves, "If I don't get this, there is another one coming up." So, I am REALLY kicking myself for that one. I am not saying that I would NEVER sell coins at the booth but right now, I don't have coins to sell (because I want to keep all I have) There are people who do sell coins in their booths. I have sold some coins on eBay, too.

We don't sell furniture. All the antique furniture we buy is for our house. It is our policy with anything we buy not to do any kind of restoration except maybe a minor cleaning. We are afraid that we may do more damage by trying to make it better than if we just leave it alone. As I coin collector, I know (and have told people here in my coin thread) NEVER clean coins so I use that same theory with EVERYTHING we buy.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/06/12 at 1:22 am

Since you like to photograph things, do you like to buy antique photos?
I LOVE to buy random photos (but especially love wedding and baby photos), especially if they look older.  I like to think that I am "rescuing" them, even if I don't know who they are.  I keep saying that I'll post them and any information I may have about the photo on various websites for geneology, in hopes of connecting someone to a "lost" family member.

Is there a market for studio photos?

Written By: Henk on 04/06/12 at 5:42 am

To save Cat the trouble... ::)

How long would you have to keep something before it becomes an antique?

The "official" definition of Antique is 100 years. But, some people will call things antique when it is not. The proper term for your Mom's jewelry is vintage. When selling things that you want to make it sound good-"vintage" is a good term to use for things at least 20 years old.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 04/06/12 at 5:48 am

I've seem a few antique shows, I liked the Kovel shows, and there was one I used to watch from England where two teams of people would go to car boot sales or flea markets and buy a few things, and whomever had the best appraised value at the end of the show, won money or kept the items (I forget which now.)

That would be Bargain Hunt (originally hosted by David Dickinson, but now by Tim Wonnacott).
The items would be sold at auction, and the team that made the most profit out of their purchases would get to keep the profit. Unfortunately (?), most teams would end up with (considerable) losses... ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 7:17 am

I LOVE to buy random photos (but especially love wedding and baby photos), especially if they look older.  I like to think that I am "rescuing" them, even if I don't know who they are.  I keep saying that I'll post them and any information I may have about the photo on various websites for geneology, in hopes of connecting someone to a "lost" family member.

We don't buy photos as a rule but there have been times some old photos ended up in a lot of stuff that we have bought. And yes, we sold some. I can't recall for how much because it was several years ago.

But, there is a market for them-even old snapshots from the '50s, '60s, '70s. I can understand people liking the antique photos because they are really cool but why people would want someone else's snapshots of people they don't even know is beyond me. What has a really big market is postmortem photos.  :o :o :o  Seriously! Do a search on eBay and see how much some of those go for. Why? I haven't a clue.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 7:19 am

That would be Bargain Hunt (originally hosted by David Dickinson, but now by Tim Wonnacott).
The items would be sold at auction, and the team that made the most profit out of their purchases would get to keep the profit. Unfortunately (?), most teams would end up with (considerable) losses... ::)

I used to watch that show and loved it. I don't watch it anymore because I don't think it is still on-or at least I can't find it.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/12 at 9:50 am

If I'd known that sooner... I bought some frames in an estate sale. The pics of flowers and the ocean were nice but there were two portraits....not of babies tho.... that were in the mix....one was of a dude and the other was of a lady, circa 1982, in a bathing suit and aerobics pose...I think she was a trainer and that was her professional 8x10.    ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/12 at 6:31 pm

I love looking at old photos.  I imagine the people and what their lives may have been like, don't know why, but a photo without a name is such a sad thing. It's the same thing with graveyards.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/06/12 at 7:13 pm

One thing Cat didn't explain -we buy our "junk" at auctions, and often we are interested in only one thing in a box of assorted "stuff".  The auctions themselves are fun, but getting those boxes home is another adventure in itself, looking at all the other things in the box searching for treasures.  Sometimes what we find is more valuable than the item we bought the box to get. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 8:35 pm

Do you guys watch Antiques Roadshow?

Howard, I really wish that you would READ!!!!

All the time, not to mention Storage Wars, American Pickers, and of course, Antiques' Roadshow.

I am not familiar with Flea Market Finds by the Kovels. I am familiar with the Kovels and use their website all the time to try to price an item.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/12 at 2:21 am

Would you be interested in selling any of the old pictures that I have (I don't want anything for them), I just don't know what to do with them all.  I don't know who the people are.  I can send them to you (if you have interest in them.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/12 at 6:45 pm

Would you be interested in selling any of the old pictures that I have (I don't want anything for them), I just don't know what to do with them all.  I don't know who the people are.  I can send them to you (if you have interest in them.)

It is funny you post this today because yesterday I got a whole bunch of old photos that will eventually be sold (whether we do it or my sister does it is yet to be determined). FYI, old pics are better sold on eBay than at our booth-oh yeah, our booth is open for another year. YAY!!!! I just hope someone buys it this year & keeps it as an antique mall so we can stay open longer.

You could sell them yourself on eBay. If not, I will have to ask my partner about this.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/12 at 8:01 pm

Maybe I'll see if my hubby would set me up an e-bay account.  I used to have one about 12 years ago, but someone hacked the e-mail account that is attached to it and I know longer have access to that e-mail.  I ended up closing my pay pal account because of it.
The pictures aren't super old, from WWII to early 70's.  I can't imagine they'd be worth much, but maybe someone would be interested in them for whatever reason.  I was able to piece together some of the story of some of the pictures with names on the back.  It's a life history.  Got baby pictures, school pictures, military boot camp photos, on home leave from military, then the group photo of the crew of a military  plane on their last night stateside, and finally, pictures of the family standing in front of the gravestone of the family member who got shot down with his crew.  Maybe I'll make a thread about it just because it's kinda interesting (at least to me.)

Most of the photos have no identification whatsoever.

Thanks for your consideration.  I just wanted to offer them to you, if you felt they'd sell for you.  Not a problem though, eventually I'll get around to doing something with them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/12 at 5:20 pm

Maybe I'll see if my hubby would set me up an e-bay account.  I used to have one about 12 years ago, but someone hacked the e-mail account that is attached to it and I know longer have access to that e-mail.  I ended up closing my pay pal account because of it.
The pictures aren't super old, from WWII to early 70's.  I can't imagine they'd be worth much, but maybe someone would be interested in them for whatever reason.  I was able to piece together some of the story of some of the pictures with names on the back.  It's a life history.  Got baby pictures, school pictures, military boot camp photos, on home leave from military, then the group photo of the crew of a military  plane on their last night stateside, and finally, pictures of the family standing in front of the gravestone of the family member who got shot down with his crew.  Maybe I'll make a thread about it just because it's kinda interesting (at least to me.)

Most of the photos have no identification whatsoever.

Thanks for your consideration.  I just wanted to offer them to you, if you felt they'd sell for you.  Not a problem though, eventually I'll get around to doing something with them.

I did mention it to my partner last night. He reminded me to look around the office (not to mention other rooms in the house). He is SOOO right that I have many, many, MANY items that I need to put up on eBay for myself and I really shouldn't be getting into doing it for others. I can help you with doing it for yourself but I really can't do it for you. I have WAY too much to do for myself. Sorry.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 11:08 pm

Oh no... I never meant that I wanted you to sell them for me.  I was just wondering if you wanted them to sell for yourself.  You see, I hate getting rid of photos, even if I don't have a valid connection to them.  I guess it goes hand-in-hand with my geneology work.  If someone throws out photos, then someone else loses any possibility of putting a name to an ancestor.

Regardless, I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I wanted you to work for me for free.  It wasn't my intention at all.  I was just trying to find a home for something that I have trouble giving up/throwing away.  I will find a good home for them.  Not a problem.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/19/12 at 11:51 am

Oh no... I never meant that I wanted you to sell them for me.  I was just wondering if you wanted them to sell for yourself.  You see, I hate getting rid of photos, even if I don't have a valid connection to them.  I guess it goes hand-in-hand with my geneology work.  If someone throws out photos, then someone else loses any possibility of putting a name to an ancestor.

Regardless, I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I wanted you to work for me for free.  It wasn't my intention at all.  I was just trying to find a home for something that I have trouble giving up/throwing away.  I will find a good home for them.  Not a problem.  :)

I totally understand. In fact, I am in the same boat as you are. We have a whole bunch of pics-some that were Charlie's grandmother's and there are people we have no idea who they are. And the box that I was telling you about that were my step-father's second wife's (my step-father was married to her when she died). People we have no idea who they are-but she did write the names of some of the people on the back. My sister told me that she is trying to track down the woman's family. We don't-and will NOT throw them away. There may be someone out there who might want them. My sister is hoping there is some old box of our photos that someone has stored somewhere.

Oh, and advice to EVERYONE when it comes to photos-WRITE DOWN WHO IS IN THE PHOTO!!!!!  It may help someone someday.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/12 at 4:45 pm

I totally understand. In fact, I am in the same boat as you are. We have a whole bunch of pics-some that were Charlie's grandmother's and there are people we have no idea who they are. And the box that I was telling you about that were my step-father's second wife's (my step-father was married to her when she died). People we have no idea who they are-but she did write the names of some of the people on the back. My sister told me that she is trying to track down the woman's family. We don't-and will NOT throw them away. There may be someone out there who might want them. My sister is hoping there is some old box of our photos that someone has stored somewhere.

Oh, and advice to EVERYONE when it comes to photos-WRITE DOWN WHO IS IN THE PHOTO!!!!!  It may help someone someday.

Cat

Oh good.  I did not want you (or your partner) to be mad at me.  :)

I would also like to input that not only add names of everyone in photos, put as much info as humanly possible. 

I would have loved to know (in order - who is standing by who) who the people were in this photo of my family.  They come from my mom's father's family.  It was taken way before I was born, and I know a few people, but not everybody.  I think I know where the photo was taken but not when.  Makes me sad.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/12 at 10:34 pm

Cat, this is right up my alley! I have been a collector and aficionado of antiques and vintage/retro items for YEARS! I have sold on Ebay since the late 1990s, and I LOVE it! I am actually in the process of opening up a consignment store, which will also include the option for vendors to rent spaces to sell their goods (whether they be crafts or antiques). I am really excited about this! I am still in the planning stages, but I have lots of ideas. Up until now, I have done everything online, so I am looking forward to something different.

What, in your experience, have you found has seemed to sell the best (out of all of the items you have sold)?

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 11:04 pm

No question just thought I'd mention I went to a home buying seminar on sat at the show/fair grounds in SB. I took a "short cut" back to my car and it happened to be the hall that was exhibiting an antique fair. I thought of you  :)

I couldn't afford shyt but by accidentally coming thru the back door I got into the fair for free.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/12 at 11:44 am

Cat, this is right up my alley! I have been a collector and aficionado of antiques and vintage/retro items for YEARS! I have sold on Ebay since the late 1990s, and I LOVE it! I am actually in the process of opening up a consignment store, which will also include the option for vendors to rent spaces to sell their goods (whether they be crafts or antiques). I am really excited about this! I am still in the planning stages, but I have lots of ideas. Up until now, I have done everything online, so I am looking forward to something different.

What, in your experience, have you found has seemed to sell the best (out of all of the items you have sold)?

There have been a bunch of stuff that we have done quite well with.

-Clocks
-Dolls (of course this depends on what kind-and condition)
-Vintage catalogs (who knew?)
-Vintage toys/games
-Some books
-Old cigarette cases
-Old flags

The stuff we haven't had much luck on:

-Baseball cards
-Jewelry
-China

Things that are a mixed bag:

-Cameras
-Metal ware: Sterling, Silver plate, Brass, etc.

Those are the only things I can think of off hand.

Since you have been doing this for a while, let me ask you this: What was your best sale? Ours was a Blyth doll. We bought it in a lot for $45 and turn around and sold it for over $1000.  :o :o :o :o We also sold another doll (1960s, GI Joe) from that lot for $31-and we still have many more dolls to sell from that lot.

Cat 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/12 at 11:45 am

No question just thought I'd mention I went to a home buying seminar on sat at the show/fair grounds in SB. I took a "short cut" back to my car and it happened to be the hall that was exhibiting an antique fair. I thought of you  :)

I couldn't afford shyt but by accidentally coming thru the back door I got into the fair for free.  :D

Yay about the home buying seminar and yay about getting into the fair for free.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/12 at 12:00 pm

There have been a bunch of stuff that we have done quite well with.

-Clocks
-Dolls (of course this depends on what kind-and condition)
-Vintage catalogs (who knew?)
-Vintage toys/games
-Some books
-Old cigarette cases
-Old flags

The stuff we haven't had much luck on:

-Baseball cards
-Jewelry
-China

Things that are a mixed bag:

-Cameras
-Metal ware: Sterling, Silver plate, Brass, etc.

Those are the only things I can think of off hand.

Since you have been doing this for a while, let me ask you this: What was your best sale? Ours was a Blyth doll. We bought it in a lot for $45 and turn around and sold it for over $1000.  :o :o :o :o We also sold another doll (1960s, GI Joe) from that lot for $31-and we still have many more dolls to sell from that lot.

Cat

I am SO jealous....you actually found a Blythe doll!!! That has been one of my lifelong dreams thus so far, to come across a Blythe doll, without having to pay $1000 on Ebay for it. That was a SUPER DUPER find!!! Congrats!!

I have found that anything vintage/retro sells really well. I once stumbled upon a big plastic bag filled with individually wrapped (brand new) scratch and sniff stickers from the mid 1980s. I paid a whopping $1.99 for the WHOLE bag of these. I turned around and listed them on Ebay, and I sold EACH one for no less than $15-$20 PER PACK. That, was so super cool!  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/12 at 1:41 pm

I am SO jealous....you actually found a Blythe doll!!! That has been one of my lifelong dreams thus so far, to come across a Blythe doll, without having to pay $1000 on Ebay for it. That was a SUPER DUPER find!!! Congrats!!

I have found that anything vintage/retro sells really well. I once stumbled upon a big plastic bag filled with individually wrapped (brand new) scratch and sniff stickers from the mid 1980s. I paid a whopping $1.99 for the WHOLE bag of these. I turned around and listed them on Ebay, and I sold EACH one for no less than $15-$20 PER PACK. That, was so super cool!  8)

My sister told me about Blythe. When I saw it in the box at the auction, I almost died. I told Charlie about it without trying to bring attention to it. There were all sorts of dolls being sold at that auction-many antiques. They were going for hundreds-even thousands of dollars but I had my eye on that box (actually, there were two boxes in that lot). I don't think ANYONE at that auction KNEW what that doll was. I called my sister the next day to say that I got a Blythe doll. She said, "NO WAY!!!!" She was a bit messy and her hair smelled musty but it still sold HIGH!

My SIL was there for the auction and thought that I was a fool. But, then she saw how high the doll went for, she is now a believer.

Good going on those scratch & sniffs. There is nothing cooler than making a profit like that.

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/01/12 at 6:51 pm

Hey, can I ask you something.

My dad has a few vinyls by BB King, and I was wondering if they'd be worth anything.

I also have a mint condition "Thriller" and "Bad" vinyl. How much are those worth, since Michael went to heaven? Worth anything or worthless? Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/12 at 8:43 pm

Hey, can I ask you something.

My dad has a few vinyls by BB King, and I was wondering if they'd be worth anything.

I also have a mint condition "Thriller" and "Bad" vinyl. How much are those worth, since Michael went to heaven? Worth anything or worthless? Thanks.

The easiest way to see how much something is worth is do an eBay search. Search on "completed auctions" and that will tell you how much stuff has sold for.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 06/07/12 at 12:13 pm

Are there items that you have found and bought with the purposes of re-selling, and then decided you couldn't part with them?

I bought some vintage pyrex with full intentions of selling it in the future if they became 'worth' something, but now I think I would have a hard time selling them.  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/12 at 2:35 pm

Are there items that you have found and bought with the purposes of re-selling, and then decided you couldn't part with them?

I bought some vintage pyrex with full intentions of selling it in the future if they became 'worth' something, but now I think I would have a hard time selling them.  :-\\

I collect vintage Pyrex, and so does Bill (from these boards)...you should see HIS collection! AMAZING!

Written By: meesa on 06/07/12 at 3:00 pm

I collect vintage Pyrex, and so does Bill (from these boards)...you should see HIS collection! AMAZING!

I just love the look of them, and they last for-ever  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/07/12 at 4:04 pm

All the time. It definitely is an occupational hazard.  :D ;D ;D ;D

One time, we bought an antique Sessons clock. We tagged it and put it in our booth. Both of us thought about it and really wanted it. So we went back to the booth and got it. It now hangs in our dinning room. There was something else that happened with (a statue of a laughing Buddha) but by the time we got back to the booth, it was already sold. I guess that is a good thing because we bought it for $10 along with other statues and we sold it for $100. (We sold others in that lot for about $250 so that was a GREAT lot.) 

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/12/12 at 8:13 pm

OK.
Seller here.

We have an elephant tusk that was made into a lamp. My family received it as a gift back in 1960 or 1961. The tusk itself is about 3 to 4 feet long. I know it's illegal to sell ivory but I've tried to check some websites and it seems (?) to only apply to importing tusks from 1970 something and before..Honestly I haven't done adequate research on it. Know anything about Elephant tusks?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/12 at 1:39 pm

OK.
Seller here.

We have an elephant tusk that was made into a lamp. My family received it as a gift back in 1960 or 1961. The tusk itself is about 3 to 4 feet long. I know it's illegal to sell ivory but I've tried to check some websites and it seems (?) to only apply to importing tusks from 1970 something and before..Honestly I haven't done adequate research on it. Know anything about Elephant tusks?

Not really. I found this which might help:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/chattanooga_200804A10.html

I think because of the age, you should be able to sell it. Because it can be tricky to sell, my suggestion is to take to someone who specializes in ivory like this place: http://www.elephantivorytusks.com/ 

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/13/12 at 3:08 pm

I think because of the age, you should be able to sell it. Because it can be tricky to sell, my suggestion is to take to someone who specializes in ivory like this place: http://www.elephantivorytusks.com/ 

Cat

Cat comes up big. I'll give the "www.elephantivorytusks.com/" a try and read the other article. I live in Canada and the tusk has been in this country for about 50 years. Hope the laws for buying/selling ivory tusks are similar to America.
Thanks a bunch!
"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/12 at 4:25 pm

Cat comes up big. I'll give the "www.elephantivorytusks.com/" a try and read the other article. I live in Canada and the tusk has been in this country for about 50 years. Hope the laws for buying/selling ivory tusks are similar to America.
Thanks a bunch!
"

Yeah, not sure if the laws in Canada are the same as in the U.S. You really need to check it out before you do anything. Good-luck and let me know how it works out.

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/13/12 at 5:54 pm

Yeah, not sure if the laws in Canada are the same as in the U.S.
Cat

Laws are comparable, we just carry less weapons on us when laws are made. :)
I've seen some ivory tusks for sale on ebay, so it must be possible (albeit I won't go that route to sell mine)

Written By: meesa on 06/26/12 at 2:05 pm

Another question Cat, do most auctions or auction barns allow you to look at what they have ahead of time, like say, a couple of days ahead? Or is that not a common thing?

Also, I noticed you mentioned you have a booth; is it at an antique mall or something like that? And do you find them to be profitable?

Sorry, that is more than one question.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/12 at 3:08 pm

Another question Cat, do most auctions or auction barns allow you to look at what they have ahead of time, like say, a couple of days ahead? Or is that not a common thing?

Also, I noticed you mentioned you have a booth; is it at an antique mall or something like that? And do you find them to be profitable?

Sorry, that is more than one question.  :-\\

Most auction houses do allow you to look ahead of time. When auctions are listed in the paper, they usually say, "Preview at such and such a time." Many auction houses have websites so you can see what is being offered. It is mainly the storage locker auctions that you only have 5 minutes to look. Because of that, we would NEVER do that. I like to know what I am buying and I usually do research BEFORE buying (i.e. how much is this worth? Can we make a profit on it? etc. etc.) that way I know how high we should bid on something. Before I knew what I was doing, I can't tell you how many times I paid WAY too much for something to make a profit.

Our booth is at an antique mall. This is the second one we have had. The first one had more business but the rent was TOO high ($151). And it was an hour and a half ONE WAY from here. So, we didn't make anything between the rent & gas. The one we have now is about 8 miles from where I am sitting right now and the rent is a lot cheaper ($55). However, sales haven't been too good lately.  :-\\  The last month we sold one pair of earrings for $5 & a pin for $5. Doesn't exactly pay the rent.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Today, we just put out our 20% sale sign. Hopefully, that will have business pick up. We will probably change out our inventory in the next couple of weeks or so.

Oh, and there is no rule as to how many questions you can ask. Please, ask all you want.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 06/26/12 at 5:54 pm

Most auction houses do allow you to look ahead of time. When auctions are listed in the paper, they usually say, "Preview at such and such a time." Many auction houses have websites so you can see what is being offered. It is mainly the storage locker auctions that you only have 5 minutes to look. Because of that, we would NEVER do that. I like to know what I am buying and I usually do research BEFORE buying (i.e. how much is this worth? Can we make a profit on it? etc. etc.) that way I know how high we should bid on something. Before I knew what I was doing, I can't tell you how many times I paid WAY too much for something to make a profit.

Our booth is at an antique mall. This is the second one we have had. The first one had more business but the rent was TOO high ($151). And it was an hour and a half ONE WAY from here. So, we didn't make anything between the rent & gas. The one we have now is about 8 miles from where I am sitting right now and the rent is a lot cheaper ($55). However, sales haven't been too good lately.  :-\\  The last month we sold one pair of earrings for $5 & a pin for $5. Doesn't exactly pay the rent.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Today, we just put out our 20% sale sign. Hopefully, that will have business pick up. We will probably change out our inventory in the next couple of weeks or so.

Oh, and there is no rule as to how many questions you can ask. Please, ask all you want.

Cat

Thanks! There is an antique mall in my town and their booths are $75 a month, but we aren't exactly on the beaten path, so I have been wanting to get into this but am afraid I would lose more than gain! Not to mention I don't think I know enough about antiques to make the jump.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/12 at 6:31 pm

Thanks! There is an antique mall in my town and their booths are $75 a month, but we aren't exactly on the beaten path, so I have been wanting to get into this but am afraid I would lose more than gain! Not to mention I don't think I know enough about antiques to make the jump.

We don't just do the booth, we also do eBay, too. There are other venues if you like. Flea markets can also work. We haven't tried that route because we both think that it is a lot of work.

We have been doing this since 2006 and I can't tell you all the mistakes we have made because neither one of us knew didly squat about anything. In fact, this year is the first time we actually made a profit because we are now buying smartly rather than in bulk. And the stuff we sell is not necessarily antiques. We sell a lot of vintage stuff from the 50s-70s and even into the '80s. We have found that toys are a good seller.

My advice if you want to get into this business is educate yourself. eBay is great-even if you chose not to sell on eBay, it will tell you what items are popular and what they are worth. I am constantly doing searches on completed listings on eBay (not to mention Google). I especially do it BEFORE auctions. Our favorite auction place has a website so we see what they have and do searches. We also go over there the day before the auction to check out what is NOT on the website. (The auction place is right around the corner from our booth.) Oh, and one more piece of advice, something might be hot one day where the bidding can go sky high and the next day, no one wants it. You never know. But, I will tell you this, for us, it is a lot of fun. We said that we will do this as long as it is fun. When it stops being fun, we close up shop.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/12 at 6:56 pm

How do you display your wares in your booth?  I've never been to an antique mall but been to several flea markets where they display little items on bookcase shelving or tables and sometimes have a dining table set up showcasing a few dishes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/12 at 7:27 pm

Here are a couple of shots of our booth so you can get the gist of what it looks like.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/009-7.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/014-7.jpg

Some people cram a lot of stuff into their which I think makes it harder to see what you have.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 07/03/12 at 11:50 am

Here are a couple of shots of our booth so you can get the gist of what it looks like.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/009-7.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/014-7.jpg

Some people cram a lot of stuff into their which I think makes it harder to see what you have.

Cat

Thank you so much for your advice! And I LOOOVE the tins that you have there! I could literally spend hours looking at items like these! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/12 at 12:08 pm

Another piece of advice: If you are going to do eBay, start off with low-end items until you build up feedback. People are hesitant to buy from people with little to no feedback especially when they have to fork over a lot of money. We made that mistake. Listed some high-end items early on and didn't get the bidders.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/13/12 at 6:55 am

Cat

Follow-up:  Just want you to know I've contacted them (http://www.elephantivorytusks.com/) recently ( with attached photos ) and am awaiting a response.  According to their website, they only buy legal pre-ban ivory which has been imported into the USA prior to the 1989 ban.
I've been trying to find out the ivory ban date from Canada and has not been successful, but hoping it's similar, since we got the tusk during the early 1960s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/12 at 10:13 am

Follow-up:  Just want you to know I've contacted them (http://www.elephantivorytusks.com/) recently ( with attached photos ) and am awaiting a response.  According to their website, they only buy legal pre-ban ivory which has been imported into the USA prior to the 1989 ban.
I've been trying to find out the ivory ban date from Canada and has not been successful, but hoping it's similar, since we got the tusk during the early 1960s.

Thanks for the follow-up. Let me know what they say.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/13/12 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the follow-up. Let me know what they say.

Cat

Will do. Here is a small pic of it, elephant tusk been made into a lamp.

Written By: warped on 07/13/12 at 11:07 am

Re: Elephant Tusk.

"www.elephantivorytusks.com" reply: "If you can attest that it was imported prior to the ban, then yes you can sell it, from the looks of your item, it's not something that would be for us, we'd be interested in it if the tusk was complete and not hollow."

That's part of their reply. Because it has been made into a lamp, part of the tusk (inside) has been removed to put in the necessary electronics for the lamp.    I've tried antique stores here, but it's an item so rare and the market is very unique, it's hard to find anyone interested in it or who knows anything about the tusk market. It's my feeling that www.elephantivorytusks.com aren't too interested in a follow-up e-mail from me, since they aren't interested in the item.

There's an antique show tomorrow just west of us http://antiqueshowscanada.com/gadsdens-midsummer-antique-expo/. Maybe I'll go, but the $10 admission might not be worth it for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/12 at 11:39 am

Re: Elephant Tusk.

"www.elephantivorytusks.com" reply: "If you can attest that it was imported prior to the ban, then yes you can sell it, from the looks of your item, it's not something that would be for us, we'd be interested in it if the tusk was complete and not hollow."

That's part of their reply. Because it has been made into a lamp, part of the tusk (inside) has been removed to put in the necessary electronics for the lamp.    I've tried antique stores here, but it's an item so rare and the market is very unique, it's hard to find anyone interested in it or who knows anything about the tusk market. It's my feeling that www.elephantivorytusks.com aren't too interested in a follow-up e-mail from me, since they aren't interested in the item.

There's an antique show tomorrow just west of us http://antiqueshowscanada.com/gadsdens-midsummer-antique-expo/. Maybe I'll go, but the $10 admission might not be worth it for me.

Yeah, the don't sound like they are too interested. The antique show sounds like fun but are they buying & selling?

Short of trying to sell it yourself on eBay or even on Craig's List (does Craig's List or the equivalent exist in Canada?), you may want to go around to local antique shops and see if they will sell it on consignment or maybe a local auction house will put it up for you.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/13/12 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, the don't sound like they are too interested. The antique show sounds like fun but are they buying & selling?

Short of trying to sell it yourself on eBay or even on Craig's List (does Craig's List or the equivalent exist in Canada?), you may want to go around to local antique shops and see if they will sell it on consignment or maybe a local auction house will put it up for you.

Cat

Craig's list exists in Canada. I just have to find proof that the tusk was here before the 1989 ban. I'll have to look into finding some photos from the 60s or 70s and hope that's sufficient.
Ther antique show is just selling, I imagine. Another option is to contact the website and try to sell it at an antique show.
I just wish I knew what it was worth. Appraisals are available at "www.elephantivorytusks.com" at $225. The price is too high for me.

Have you ever heard of www.justanswer.com/?  Are they legit?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/12 at 12:58 pm

Craig's list exists in Canada. I just have to find proof that the tusk was here before the 1989 ban. I'll have to look into finding some photos from the 60s or 70s and hope that's sufficient.
Ther antique show is just selling, I imagine. Another option is to contact the website and try to sell it at an antique show.
I just wish I knew what it was worth. Appraisals are available at "www.elephantivorytusks.com" at $225. The price is too high for me.

Have you ever heard of www.justanswer.com/?  Are they legit?

Never heard of them-so I don't know if they are legit or not. Sorry.

$225 for an appraisal?  :o :o :o :o Total rip-off. That would really suck if you paid that and they told you that they were only worth $100 or so. There are places that will do appraisals for little to nothing. Here is a link that gives names of places that offer free on-line appraisals.

http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

You may find help there.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/13/12 at 1:06 pm

Never heard of them-so I don't know if they are legit or not. Sorry.

$225 for an appraisal?  :o :o :o :o Total rip-off. That would really suck if you paid that and they told you that they were only worth $100 or so. There are places that will do appraisals for little to nothing. Here is a link that gives names of places that offer free on-line appraisals.

http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

You may find help there.

Cat

Yup, $225 is a rip off...but when it comes to elephant tusks, they usually go for lots more than that .
Thanks for the other link. Karma again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/12 at 1:13 pm

Yup, $225 is a rip off...but when it comes to elephant tusks, they usually go for lots more than that .
Thanks for the other link. Karma again.

No prob. If there is something on the web, I can usually find it.  ;)

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/20/13 at 2:05 pm

When does on old radio, or TV or stereo/stereo cabinet become "antique" as opposed to just being "old"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/13 at 4:25 pm

When does on old radio, or TV or stereo/stereo cabinet become "antique" as opposed to just being "old"?

Good question. And I have no idea what the answer it.  :-[  My advice is to so a search on eBay's completed listings and see it is selling. Also keep in mind that even though it sold this week, it may not sell next week-and vice versa.

Actually, technically has to be 100 years old before it is an "antique." Vintage is a term that means not quite an antique but good stuff.

Cat

Written By: valleyroads on 01/21/13 at 4:07 am

Any advice on how or where to get rid of a 1971 Sony 8-track tape player/recorder?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/13 at 10:52 am

Any advice on how or where to get rid of a 1971 Sony 8-track tape player/recorder?

eBay. You may not get too much for it but you should get a little and you will also get rid of it (to make room for other junk stuff  :D ;D ;D ;D ).

Cat

Written By: valleyroads on 01/21/13 at 2:48 pm

Thank you!  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 6:56 am

Hi Cat. :)

I was cleaning out my closet last night and I have this Polaroid One Step Auto Focus 600 camera, not sure what year that camera was popular. I want to know much if I wanted to sell it how much would it go for? I'm guessing, not much in 2013 compared to when it was popular back then.

http://polaroidonestep.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/polaroid-one-step-camera.jpg

Thanks.

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/13 at 8:22 am

I was cleaning out my closet last night and I have this Polaroid One Step Auto Focus 600 camera, not sure what year that camera was popular. I want to know much if I wanted to sell it how much would it go for? I'm guessing, not much in 2013 compared to when it was popular back then.

http://polaroidonestep.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/polaroid-one-step-camera.jpg

Thanks.

Can u even get film for Polaroids anymore? ???  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/13 at 11:33 am

Thanks.

There are many cameras like it that sold on eBay. Some sold as high as $40 and others, well not quite that high. The average is about $15-$30 (some higher & some lower). Of course it all depends if the camera is working, if it has accessories-like film, a camera bag, etc. etc. And if it is in its original box that is always desirable. 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 7:55 pm

Didn't Polaroid go out of business? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 7:56 pm

There are many cameras like it that sold on eBay. Some sold as high as $40 and others, well not quite that high. The average is about $15-$30 (some higher & some lower). Of course it all depends if the camera is working, if it has accessories-like film, a camera bag, etc. etc. And if it is in its original box that is always desirable. 

Cat

And what year were those Polaroids popular? Late 70's? early 80's? or mid 80's?

Written By: valleyroads on 07/31/13 at 6:43 pm

Polaroid film is still made by specialists, mostly for the police, arson investigation, insurance adjusting & forensic science businesses, which find the instant printed pics to be well-suited to their needs. The amount of seemingly obscure films made for old cameras is staggering... I have a 1920s Kodak Brownie Junior, 1930s or 1940s Argus, 1948 Ansco autoflash, and 1970s Japan-made cartridge camera, all of which film is still available for.

I just got a very nice (like new other than frozen film advance lever) Konica Auto-Reflex from the early 1960s, how much would that be worth in working condition? Not looking to sell it since it's a holy-grail camera find and I intend to use it once the film advance is fixed... just curious.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/02/13 at 12:47 am

Maybe. The Impossible Project has reproduced, from scratch, a PX600 Silver Shade (black and white) and PX 70 Color Shade FF (color) for the 600 series.  It took several years, but they appear to have pulled it off.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/13 at 7:20 am

Polaroid film is still made by specialists, mostly for the police, arson investigation, insurance adjusting & forensic science businesses, which find the instant printed pics to be well-suited to their needs. The amount of seemingly obscure films made for old cameras is staggering... I have a 1920s Kodak Brownie Junior, 1930s or 1940s Argus, 1948 Ansco autoflash, and 1970s Japan-made cartridge camera, all of which film is still available for.

I just got a very nice (like new other than frozen film advance lever) Konica Auto-Reflex from the early 1960s, how much would that be worth in working condition? Not looking to sell it since it's a holy-grail camera find and I intend to use it once the film advance is fixed... just curious.  :)

I have always said that something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

I am not an expert. Whenever I get something that I want to know how much I can sell it for, I do a search on eBay. I always search on completed listings. If you do a search on active listings, it doesn't tell you what people are willing to pay for it. By doing a completed listing search, it will tell you how popular the item is-if it was an auction type sale, how many bids, etc, etc. Then you can get an idea of how much it is worth. I really don't have the time to do the search myself but you can search it for yourself and you can even search your other cameras which will give you an idea of how much they are worth. Also, if you are interested in buying any others, buy doing a search, you can get a feel for how much you SHOULD pay for something rather than paying too much.

I hope this helps.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/02/13 at 3:52 pm

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Handheld-Gray-Console-Original-Works-Great-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/OgwAAMXQ56ZR-2HF/$T2eC16RHJH8FHRq5vLBfBR-2HFU1E!~~60_57.JPG

I was also thinking about selling my Gameboy from 1989 when it was popular, It's not in the best condition but it's fair, most of the games work and that's about it. Ebay is selling it from $25 to $50 the most.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/03/13 at 2:06 am

I have a few collections that I've acquired over the years, such as stamps (mostly uncancelled and not a HUGE collection) and postcards (not posted) and a few coins.  My latest collection that has piqued my interest is "rescuing" old photos, even if I don't know who is in the photos.  I bought a whole photo album at a junk store for $25.  They are chock full of family photos from the early 1900s.  Fascinating.

I worry that if I should die, everything gets pitched into the trash and not preserved by someone else that may hold the love as much as I do.

Any suggestions on what to do with it all?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/13 at 11:06 am

I have a few collections that I've acquired over the years, such as stamps (mostly uncancelled and not a HUGE collection) and postcards (not posted) and a few coins.  My latest collection that has piqued my interest is "rescuing" old photos, even if I don't know who is in the photos.  I bought a whole photo album at a junk store for $25.  They are chock full of family photos from the early 1900s.  Fascinating.

I worry that if I should die, everything gets pitched into the trash and not preserved by someone else that may hold the love as much as I do.

Old photos are pretty collectable-the older the better. But believe it or not, people buy photos from later times, too. We sold a photo album from the 40s. We also sold photos from around the turn of the century. (Still have so many in our "inventory room" to be sold.) As to what to do with them-you can sell them or you can leave it in your will that they go to... If no one in your family wants them, you can leave it in your will to donate them to a library, historical society, etc. But, you have to let your family know that they COULD be valuable-not that you could retire by selling it all but it is worth a couple of dinners out. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/03/13 at 12:55 pm

Party can I send u a pic I rescued from a photo album I bought at a yard sale.  I don't want it but I don't want to throw it away either.  ;D

ETA: it's from the 80s

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/04/13 at 8:08 am

Party can I send u a pic I rescued from a photo album I bought at a yard sale.  I don't want it but I don't want to throw it away either.  ;D

ETA: it's from the 80s

Sure, I love photos.  of all eras.  I rescue so many photos, what's one more to my collection?  lol

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/07/13 at 5:20 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Has anybody ever been to a garage sale during which somebody tried to sell USED medical equipment?
8)

Written By: valleyroads on 08/07/13 at 5:52 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Has anybody ever been to a garage sale during which somebody tried to sell USED medical equipment?
8)

I was at ones where they had used hospital beds, examination tables, operating tables and dental chairs, does that count?  :D

The Circ-O-Lectric bed (Stryker frame bed) used for burn victims and quadriplegic patients was a hoot, I want one and would put garland, fake grape vines and mosquito netting all around the top.

http://mascosalvage.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ifu028rws.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/07/13 at 6:59 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

8)

Not that I can recall.

Written By: karen on 08/07/13 at 10:17 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

8)

Depends on what you mean by medical equipment.  I'm fairly sure I saw crutches at a yard sale; definitely saw them at the local "put and take".  Probably saw a rubber ring as well.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/08/13 at 2:17 am

Document the stuff you found, even if it's nothing other than printing out a piece of paper that says "I bought this at the Foo Flea Market in Anytown, Anystate, USA on January 1, 2013.  The person who sold it to me said it was the Bar Family photo album...", stick the piece of paper into the photo album, and leave instructions in your will that the photo albums get donated to the local historical society.  By the time it ends up in the historical society, the people in some (or all) of those pictures will have already been digitized, and they'll be able to link your photos of unknown origin to people already known to the system.

I'm pretty pro-privacy, but even I have to acknowledge that universal facial recognition and automatic tagging is going to make future historians' work much easier.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/21/14 at 9:26 pm

Hi Cat! I enjoy your thread about your "new old house" and stumbled upon this thread just now. It seems we both have a fascination with the past.

Here's a question: In your opinion, will things from today or even the last 30ish years ever be considered antiques? I feel like due to factors such as mass production as well as people holding onto things, things won't seem rare or unusual in the future the way they used to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like antiquing as a hobby is a relatively recent phenomenon and 100 years ago people didn't think to hold onto things anticipating they would be worth money someday, which is why they're hard to come across.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/14 at 12:54 pm

Hi Cat! I enjoy your thread about your "new old house" and stumbled upon this thread just now. It seems we both have a fascination with the past.

Here's a question: In your opinion, will things from today or even the last 30ish years ever be considered antiques? I feel like due to factors such as mass production as well as people holding onto things, things won't seem rare or unusual in the future the way they used to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like antiquing as a hobby is a relatively recent phenomenon and 100 years ago people didn't think to hold onto things anticipating they would be worth money someday, which is why they're hard to come across.

With the introduction of eBay, people are able to find stuff they never really thought about. When eBay started, it was the Baby Boomers who were finding all their old toys and wanting to relive their youth. Now, many Baby Boomers are downsizing so instead of buying, they are selling. The market for toys of the '50s, '60s, & '70s are not as desirable to a lot of people like they were about 10-20 years ago. There are some collectors-there will ALWAYS be collectors of all ages. But now, the next generation, (people who grew up in the '80s & '90s) are now collecting all of those toys that THEY had when they were kids. Also the fact that things are cheaply made these days, finding stuff in pristine condition is a bonus. 

Antiquing is really not a new phenomenon. Granted, 100 years ago, people mainly bought things that they needed and many held on to things because they were family heirlooms or because replacing things was expensive. They didn't live in a disposable world like we do today. However, there were collectors back then, too.

Side story:
I think it was in the 1950s or so, my great-grandfather went to an estate sale and bought an Oriental rug. At the time, the rug was an antique (which meant it was over 100 years old). When my great-grandparents died, the rug was passed down to my grandmother. When she died about 6 years ago, my sister was holding on to it and wanted to know if anyone in the family wanted it. Granted, the rug isn't in the best condition because it is at least 150 years old-maybe older. No one really had a place for it so my sister was planning on selling it-something that no one in the family really wanted but we all agreed that that was the best-UNTIL NOW! Since we bought the old house, we now have a place for the rug. When we visited my sister last summer, we picked up the rug.

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/24/14 at 2:57 pm

Nice story about the rug :) how much do you suppose it's worth?

What's the oldest item in your collection of antiques?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/14 at 3:51 pm

Nice story about the rug :) how much do you suppose it's worth?

What's the oldest item in your collection of antiques?

Don't know how much it is worth. But, because of condition issues, that lowers the value significantly.

As for our own personal collection of antiques, not too sure because a lot of the stuff we have doesn't come with dates.  ;) I do have a couple of coins from the 1700s. We do have a set of 6 dinner plates from Belgium that we bought for $10 at an auction. The cool thing about them was the fact that they were HAND signed in back. We bought them with the intent to sell on eBay. In fact, we had them up on eBay a few times but no one bid on them. When we did the research on them, we discovered that they were made roughly around 1850!  :o :o :o They are really nice and we are keeping them. These are the pics that we used when they were on eBay.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/018_zps76976e49.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/021_zpsc736a0ac.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/030_zpsb8e1e14f.jpg

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/24/14 at 4:20 pm

What other antiques do you plan on integrating into your new old house?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/14 at 4:42 pm

What other antiques do you plan on integrating into your new old house?

Mostly furniture. A few years ago, we started fixing up this place (before we even DREAMED of the new house). We started in the dinning room. We wanted to get a china cabinet but got this instead:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/093_zps7424f5d3.jpg

That was followed by:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/007_zps85866c65.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/008_zps97b5a04a.jpg

Since we have a small dinning room, we moved on to other rooms-mainly dressers:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/086_zps6eb9032f.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/120_zps0e46065d.jpg
(Disregard the stamp thingy. It was sold at the same auction but we didn't buy it.)

By this time, we didn't have any more space for furniture.

After we bought the house, we bought these:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/016_zpsf8e6d5f2.jpg

We also bought a bunch of other furniture but don't have pics of them. Right now, they are sitting in the garage waiting for the work to be done on the house so we can move it all in. Oh, and last week's auction we bought a BEAUTIFUL brass fireplace set.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/032_zpsfaeae230.jpg

BTW, have I mentioned how much I LOVE auctions?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/14 at 7:54 pm

Do you watch Antique Roadshow

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/14 at 10:09 am

Do you watch Antique Roadshow?

Used to but haven't watched it in a long time. I guess I have been doing this for so long that I can usually figure out how much something is worth myself.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/10/14 at 4:02 pm

My Father is redoing the basement over after 40 years and he has 500 music cassettes in a box, How much would they go for in 2014 or would they be any value? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/14 at 4:24 pm

My Father is redoing the basement over after 40 years and he has 500 music cassettes in a box, How much would they go for in 2014 or would they be any value? ???

We sell a lot of cassettes on eBay. To us, it is not worth selling them one at a time. We usually sell about 95 or so at a time (because that is how many will fit in a Post Office large flat rate box and they usually go for about $30 and up. We sold one lot for over $80. They were classical music. I don't know how other genres will do.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/10/14 at 4:41 pm

We sell a lot of cassettes on eBay. To us, it is not worth selling them one at a time. We usually sell about 95 or so at a time (because that is how many will fit in a Post Office large flat rate box and they usually go for about $30 and up. We sold one lot for over $80. They were classical music. I don't know how other genres will do.

Cat

a lot of doo-wop disco and some funk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/14 at 2:42 am

Cat
Years ago, I sold a few cassettes singlely on eBay, they were purchased only for the rarity.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/14 at 8:49 am

Years ago, I sold a few cassettes singlely on eBay, they were purchased only for the rarity.

I remember that.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/11/14 at 7:39 pm

How much would a cassette tape go for?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 3:11 am

How much would a cassette tape go for?
I am not in a position to tell you.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/14 at 7:50 am

I have this old metal detector, it still works how much would they go for today?

and also I have old VHS tapes I collected how much would they go for today?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/14 at 3:48 pm

I have this old metal detector, it still works how much would they go for today?

and also I have old VHS tapes I collected how much would they go for today?

Check what the are selling for on eBay.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/14 at 3:54 pm

Cat
...or other auction websites.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 10:44 am

Cat

I just did, they're quite popular.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/14 at 10:45 am

Cat
Due to security reasons with hackers, it is best to change your password.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/14 at 2:35 pm

I just did. I also changed my PayPal password, too.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/14 at 2:41 pm

I just did. I also changed my PayPal password, too.

Cat
They are saying PayPal is secure, but it is best to be safe.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/14 at 5:09 pm

They are saying PayPal is secure, but it is best to be safe.

You should change ALL of your passwords from time to time.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 6:46 pm

What about Amazon too? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 6:47 pm

You should change ALL of your passwords from time to time.

Cat

to prevent hackers.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 6:50 pm

How much woud a wrestling magazine cost from 1987/1988?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/14 at 1:46 pm

How much woud a wrestling magazine cost from 1987/1988?  ???

Do the research. See how much they are going on eBay and you will have your answer. Do that with any item you want to sell.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/10/14 at 4:31 am

What would be the easiest way to sell my stuff or at least donate it to a good cause?  We are planning an overseas move within the next year (possibly) and are really encumbered with loads of stuff that are probably worth something to someone somewhere.  Books, DVDs/Videos, comic boks, jewelry (mostly glass "gemstones"), craft supplies.  Anything and everything.  We don't want to just throw it out, we don't want to pack it up in storage locker somewhere, we can't realisticly ship it to Thailand.  How do I sort it to what is stuff I need/stuff that I can't replace/stuff that is valuable but don't need.  ect ad infinum.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/14 at 11:33 am

What would be the easiest way to sell my stuff or at least donate it to a good cause?  We are planning an overseas move within the next year (possibly) and are really encumbered with loads of stuff that are probably worth something to someone somewhere.  Books, DVDs/Videos, comic boks, jewelry (mostly glass "gemstones"), craft supplies.  Anything and everything.  We don't want to just throw it out, we don't want to pack it up in storage locker somewhere, we can't realisticly ship it to Thailand.  How do I sort it to what is stuff I need/stuff that I can't replace/stuff that is valuable but don't need.  ect ad infinum.

Can't really help you with the sorting process-only YOU can determine what you want/need. Once you do that, the quickest way to unload is a yard sale. For the higher end items, you can sell on eBay/Criagslist. The thing is about yard sales, people don't want to pay a lot and the fact that you want to unload it all fast, you are going to have to price things on the low end. And you need to advertise. Criagslist is a good place to advertise. Put out signs with arrows, etc. I don't know if putting an ad in your local paper would be worth it or not. Very few people read papers anymore (which is a shame but that is another issue). You can also advertize on Facebook.

Once you had a yard sale, whatever is left over you can donate-books/DVDs can be donated to your local library. Craft supplies can be donated to a retirement community or Girls/Boys club, there are homes for the other stuff, too.

My question to you: THAILAND??!!! 

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/15/14 at 1:15 am

Can't really help you with the sorting process-only YOU can determine what you want/need. Once you do that, the quickest way to unload is a yard sale. For the higher end items, you can sell on eBay/Criagslist. The thing is about yard sales, people don't want to pay a lot and the fact that you want to unload it all fast, you are going to have to price things on the low end. And you need to advertise. Criagslist is a good place to advertise. Put out signs with arrows, etc. I don't know if putting an ad in your local paper would be worth it or not. Very few people read papers anymore (which is a shame but that is another issue). You can also advertize on Facebook.

Once you had a yard sale, whatever is left over you can donate-books/DVDs can be donated to your local library. Craft supplies can be donated to a retirement community or Girls/Boys club, there are homes for the other stuff, too.

My question to you: THAILAND??!!! 

Cat

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately my apartment complex doesn't allow yard sales, so maybe I'll find a flea market somewhere.  Or just donate various charities just to be done with it.  I'm making progress.

lol yeah Thailand.  My hubby was there twice whilst in the Navy and loved it.  Financially, the exchange rate makes sense, and we are quickly going broke here.  Not sure when we'll get there, lots of things need to happen first. Passports, Visas, not to mention stabilizing the health of my mom and eldest cat.  I'm beyond ready for a change in my life, Thailand is as good as anywhere else.  Perhaps we can actually get to travel (Asia) AND save money, I dunno.  I think a change of climate and scenery will do me good.  Maybe I can finally start taking some pictures of something more interesting then my cat, myself or the sunset.  I'm just restless and I need a new direction in life.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/14 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately my apartment complex doesn't allow yard sales, so maybe I'll find a flea market somewhere.  Or just donate various charities just to be done with it.  I'm making progress.

lol yeah Thailand.  My hubby was there twice whilst in the Navy and loved it.  Financially, the exchange rate makes sense, and we are quickly going broke here.  Not sure when we'll get there, lots of things need to happen first. Passports, Visas, not to mention stabilizing the health of my mom and eldest cat.  I'm beyond ready for a change in my life, Thailand is as good as anywhere else.  Perhaps we can actually get to travel (Asia) AND save money, I dunno.  I think a change of climate and scenery will do me good.  Maybe I can finally start taking some pictures of something more interesting then my cat, myself or the sunset.  I'm just restless and I need a new direction in life.

I wish you the best where ever the road leads you.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...