inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about tournament bass fishing

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/03/12 at 6:17 am

That's what I do when I'm not reminiscing here. If you need to know anything about spending a day in a sparkly fiberglass rocket of a boat that does 70+MPH, chasing little green fish for fame and fortune, I'm your guy.

Subject: Re: Ask me about tournament bass fishing

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/12 at 9:02 pm

Did you ever catch one of those singing bass?  :D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC6EbRQmJ0&feature=pyv

You know what they say, Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Seriously,

-Have you ever won a tournament?
-What is the largest bass you caught?
-Where do you normally fish?
-What kind of bait do you normally use?

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/05/12 at 12:26 am

Do you travel far to go to tournaments?

Do you take anyone fishing with you usually?

Why specialize in bass?

Who is your favorite t.v. show fishing show (I only know one, so I'm betting there is more then that that I might have missed over he years...)?

What is your favorite equipment to use (and/or) if you had unlimited money to buy whatever you wanted (specifically for bass fishing) what would you buy?

Written By: Howard on 04/05/12 at 6:48 am

What is your favorite fish?

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/06/12 at 6:48 am

Do you travel far to go to tournaments?

Do you take anyone fishing with you usually?

Why specialize in bass?

Who is your favorite t.v. show fishing show (I only know one, so I'm betting there is more then that that I might have missed over he years...)?

What is your favorite equipment to use (and/or) if you had unlimited money to buy whatever you wanted (specifically for bass fishing) what would you buy?

I live in NH and the farthest I have travelled to a tournament is Maryland to fish the Potomac.

Some tournaments have a team format so you have a partner with you, others you fish individually.

Why bass? I'm not sure. When I was younger I fished freshwater for anything. As I got older I concentrated on bass and tournaments in particular because I like the competition.

I don't think I have a favorite. i watch a few of them but most are aired on weekend mornings when I am out fishing.

For reels I prefer Shimano products. I use them exclusively. I use them for rods also but I am now in the process of changing them over to custom rods from a custom builder. If I had the money I would buy a new boat, same company as the one I have now, just the model up. The boat I have is my screen name, I drive a Bass Cat boat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 7:56 am

I guess you don't want to answer my questions.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/06/12 at 6:15 pm

I guess you don't want to answer my questions.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

No, not at all. I only saw the Billy Bass comment and I missed the questions that followed. Sorry.

I have won quite a few, thank you very much.

My personal best was a largemouth that went 7.5lbs which I caught in the Nashua River in NH.

I normally fish NH and MA waters with occasional tournaments in other states. I will be in NY later this year to fish the Hudson River. One of my favorites is Lake Champlain.

There are no baits you really "normally" fish. It all depends on where you are, the time of year, and what the bass want. Baits and techniques that I employ frequently are jigs, plastic stick baits (Senkos), topwaters, frogs, carolina rigs, and drop shots.

Here is a picture of my boat.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad173/basscatfrank/boat009.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 6:27 pm

No, not at all. I only saw the Billy Bass comment and I missed the questions that followed. Sorry.

I have won quite a few, thank you very much.

My personal best was a largemouth that went 7.5lbs which I caught in the Nashua River in NH.

I normally fish NH and MA waters with occasional tournaments in other states. I will be in NY later this year to fish the Hudson River. One of my favorites is Lake Champlain.

There are no baits you really "normally" fish. It all depends on where you are, the time of year, and what the bass want. Baits and techniques that I employ frequently are jigs, plastic stick baits (Senkos), topwaters, frogs, carolina rigs, and drop shots.

We usually fish in Lake Champlain (for whatever bites). We live in Vermont.

Cat

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/06/12 at 6:41 pm

I will be in Vergennes, right on the lake, for a two day tournament in July.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/06/12 at 6:50 pm

Cat and I live in Fair Haven, about an hour south of Vergennes .  We fish from our sail boat, which we keep at Chipman point.  Lately we haven't gone that far north, just sail around the Fort Ti area and anchor off Mt. Independence.  We have caught some nice bass in that area, but like cat said, we fish for whatever bites and keep what's big enough for the fry pan.  Good luck in your tourney

Written By: Howard on 04/06/12 at 7:25 pm

What is it you don't like about fishing?

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/06/12 at 8:36 pm

What is it you don't like about fishing?

The only thing that I don't like is wind. It makes it hard to control the boat while fishing and if a good wind comes up on some of the bigger waters I fish, it came make for some pretty hairy rides across the lake. Places like Champlain can get like the ocean on a bad day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/12 at 8:44 pm

This is our Big Dog.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3270/2962198004_bcde0f6a85.jpg

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/07/12 at 6:46 am

Frank, have you ever came close to a shark?

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/07/12 at 9:28 am

Frank, have you ever came close to a shark?

Probably not on Lake Champlain, just so happens that sharks are Champ's favorite food, so you don't see too many of them there (Champ is our version of Nessie)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/12 at 4:32 pm

Do you keep many of the fish you catch?

What are your favorite ways of having fish? (Any recipes?)

When was the first time you went fishing?  Who were you with?  \ When was the last time you went fishing?

What was the biggest prize you've ever won fishing?

Am I asking too many questions?  I'm good at asking questions (I just channel my inner 5-year old... why?  but why?  :D ;D )

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/07/12 at 6:13 pm

I don't keep any. I practice catch and release.

I really don't eat much fish at all. I prefer shellfish. The only fish I eat are salmon and tunaushi.

First time I was five years old, I was with my father and brother, fishing the Charles River for hornedpout.

The most I have ever won was a little over $900 at a tournament.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/12 at 7:18 pm

Do you like herring?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/12 at 10:18 pm

hornedpout?  Never heard of that, although I'm not much of a seafood person myself.  I've been fishing maybe 5 times in my life and that is probably being generous.

If you have kids, would you like to teach them to fish?

Assuming that you don't fish for a living (who knows, you might.), if the opportunity came along, would you fish for a living?  And in what capacity?

Have you anything that might look like "Champ" on Lake Champlain?  :D

Written By: basscatfrank on 04/08/12 at 5:20 pm

hornedpout?  Never heard of that, although I'm not much of a seafood person myself.  I've been fishing maybe 5 times in my life and that is probably being generous.

If you have kids, would you like to teach them to fish?

Assuming that you don't fish for a living (who knows, you might.), if the opportunity came along, would you fish for a living?  And in what capacity?

Have you anything that might look like "Champ" on Lake Champlain?  :D

A hornedpout is a species of catfish, also known as a bullhead.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUWB9IYU4ycRwNlWbx2jBPkjvLd6fEFVAuIzKl74ljECMDoGm_PA

I have two kids, they both fish a little. My oldest is 23 and he seems to be getting more into it now.

If I could tournament fish for a living I would. You need to be able to perfoem at a high level consistently and you also need a lot of money.

Sorry, I've never seen Champ.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/12 at 2:30 am

Forgive my ignorance, but I guess that's what this thread is for... to find out.

Are there other tournaments for other types of fish?  Is bass the most popular "type" of tournament? 

How do tournaments work?  Do you keep the fish you catch then at the end of the time period, you enter your biggest fish for judging?
What are the average prizes for an average tournament?  Is there a professional bass tournament circuit?  Do they travel the world fishing?  How do you find out about tournaments?

Written By: Howard on 05/17/12 at 7:12 am

Have you had an encounter with a shark?

Written By: basscatfrank on 06/02/12 at 7:03 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I guess that's what this thread is for... to find out.

Are there other tournaments for other types of fish?  Is bass the most popular "type" of tournament? 

How do tournaments work?  Do you keep the fish you catch then at the end of the time period, you enter your biggest fish for judging?
What are the average prizes for an average tournament?  Is there a professional bass tournament circuit?  Do they travel the world fishing?  How do you find out about tournaments?

There are tournaments for other freshwater species but bass is the most popular.

Most tournaments are for your five best fish which you are required to keep alive in the livewell of your boat. After weighing them in at the end of the day they are released.

Prizes range from a few hundred dollars at the club level to the amount of $500,000 which is paid to the winner of the Bass Master Classic. There are two major professional trails, BASS and the FLW.

Check for new replies or respond here...