inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I have an ipod question, need help

Written By: warped on 06/24/13 at 1:41 pm

I recently got an ipod from a friend. Never had one before. It already has lots of music on it, but I'd like to add more, and I don't want to purchase them from itunes.

Can I transfer songs from my laptop to an ipod? My friend (who gave me the ipod) doesn't know. I think he got most of his songs from itunes.

Two things, I have Microsoft windows computer, not an apple (not sure if that makes any difference or not).  I know I don't have a cord or whatever to connect my ipod to a laptop either.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Subject: Re: I have an ipod question, need help

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/13 at 1:47 pm

I googled around and there is something called winamp

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/13 at 3:01 pm

Try downloading iTunes to your laptop, all your music files should automatically transfer over to it. Not sure about Apple products, but your iPod should have a USB cord with it.

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 12:18 am

Try downloading iTunes to your laptop, all your music files should automatically transfer over to it. Not sure about Apple products, but your iPod should have a USB cord with it.

what Al said... you don't have to buy songs off of iTunes...it's just a convenience if you choose to do so...

you will need to download the iTunes software. you won't need Bonjour or Safari (they kinda back door those on you) so deselect those if they are already selected. 

then when you open iTunes look in the top left (where the file, edit, view etc options are on windows)  and select the first one. Find add files (or add folder) to your itunes library then select all the music from your laptop you want to add... then plug in your iPod and drag the files from the new iTunes library onto the iPod.

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 12:23 am

oh.... here's a tip you might find frustrating or useful....depending on your tech skills

There maybe songs on the ipod that you like but you don't have on your laptop.  You can hook the ipod up to your laptop and open the files it's a hard drive.... find the songs you like and save them to your music folder on your laptop...

the frustrating part is the songs are not labeled Brady Bunch Sunshine Day... instead it'll probably read GQSXT

I had a song on my iPod I wanted to put on my iPhone and iPad but I had down loaded it years ago and it was lost when I threw out my old computer. 

I connected my iPod to my laptop...
went to My Computer and found and clicked on Tq's iPod
opened the folders... and then played every frigging song until I found the one I wanted....there were something like 48 folders each with 20-30 files so it took a while but I managed to find some other stuff I liked and added that to my iPhone & iPad as well...

:)

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 7:37 am

Thanks for all your help.  :)

I have no problems downloading the itunes software onto my computer. I just don't have a USB cord or anything that would connect my ipod to my computer. I assume without that, I can't transfer any songs from my computer to an ipod.  :(

I always have the option of buying one, I suppose. Depending on the cost too.

I'd just have to go to an apple store (I assume..or any electronics store) and buy a USB cord that can connect to my computer/laptop and ipod.  I'm gonna ask my friend if he forgot to give me that cord. Maybe he still has it.

Since I don't need to copy anything from my ipod to my laptop, I won't have to go through song titles like GQSXT to figure out what the name is  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 7:47 am

Thanks for all your help.  :)

I have no problems downloading the itunes software onto my computer. I just don't have a USB cord or anything that would connect my ipod to my computer. I assume without that, I can't transfer any songs from my computer to an ipod.  :(

I always have the option of buying one, I suppose. Depending on the cost too.

I'd just have to go to an apple store (I assume..or any electronics store) and buy a USB cord that can connect to my computer/laptop and ipod.  I'm gonna ask my friend if he forgot to give me that cord. Maybe he still has it.

Since I don't need to copy anything from my ipod to my laptop, I won't have to go through song titles like GQSXT to figure out what the name is  ;D

get a cord on ebay....it's not as good a quality as the stuff you get at the apple store, or radio shack, or best buy, or walmart, or target, or kmart....or anywhere really.....but it's cheap.... 

I got 5 cords on ebay for the price of one good one in the store....they don't last as long but they last long enough.

mine have lasted for about a year.... *except for the one I slammed int the car door  ;D

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 7:51 am

get a cord on ebay....it's not as good a quality as the stuff you get at the apple store, or radio shack, or best buy, or walmart, or target, or kmart....or anywhere really.....but it's cheap.... 

I got 5 cords on ebay for the price of one good one in the store....they don't last as long but they last long enough.

mine have lasted for about a year.... *except for the one I slammed int the car door  ;D

Any idea how much they cost at Best Buy or Walmart (which I am sure is cheaper than the Apple Store).?

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 8:04 am

Any idea how much they cost at Best Buy or Walmart (which I am sure is cheaper than the Apple Store).?

probably 12.99 - 24.99

i get em on ebay for $1 - $3 with free shipping  :D

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 8:10 am

probably 12.99 - 24.99

Thanks!

i get em on ebay for $1 - $3 with free shipping  :D

:o Wow what a great price. I'll check out ebay.  Are they just called "USB cords" or something more specific?

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 8:16 am

Thanks!
:o Wow what a great price. I'll check out ebay.  Are they just called "USB cords" or something more specific?

iPod cord

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 8:25 am

iPod cord

O0

Written By: Henk on 06/25/13 at 8:46 am

iPod cord

O0

Just make sure you get the right type, 'cause they come in different shapes (depending on your iPod). ;)

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 8:57 am

Just make sure you get the right type, 'cause they come in different shapes (depending on your iPod). ;)

this is true....the ipad, the ipod & iphone 5 all have specific cords.

I know the classic ipod and iphone 3 & 4 use basically the same cord. The iTouch also uses the same cord. . . I assume the nano uses a different cord.

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 5:33 pm

I have successfully downloaded itunes on my computer.
I don't see any of my songs from my ipod there. :(

Do I need the ipod to be turned on, is that why I don't see my songs?
Do I need an apple ID? Is that why I don't see my songs?

Maybe all this is too complicated for me, technology wise. I should just give up.

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/13 at 7:56 pm

I have successfully downloaded itunes on my computer.
I don't see any of my songs from my ipod there. :(

Do I need the ipod to be turned on, is that why I don't see my songs?
Do I need an apple ID? Is that why I don't see my songs?

Maybe all this is too complicated for me, technology wise. I should just give up.

You def need to create an apple I'd and log in. The iPod has to be turned on and connected to the laptop to see the songs on the iPod and to add music to the iPod you have to pull them over (up load them essentially) to iTunes from your laptop.

I have found many informative iPod videos on iTunes. If you can get past the fact you're being taught by a 12 yr old boy whose b*lls haven't dropped yet then you might learn a few interesting tricks and hints.

Written By: warped on 06/27/13 at 6:55 pm

Success!

I found the ipod cord my friend sent me. I created an Apple ID , watched a couple of "how to" youtube videos created by young teenagers and maybe an 11-year-old, and figured out the rest.

Songs from my laptop are now on my ipod.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/13 at 7:07 pm

Success!

I found the ipod cord my friend sent me. I created an Apple ID , watched a couple of "how to" youtube videos created by young teenagers and maybe an 11-year-old, and figured out the rest.

Songs from my laptop are now on my ipod.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

YAY!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...