inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Building Up Stamina...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/11/14 at 2:51 pm

Hi Y'all,

I need some help and I hope this doesn't sound too ridiculous.
My birthday is next month and as a gift to myself, I wanted to spend the day shopping and giving myself a make over. The thing is, the last few times I've spent a day at the mall, I've literally limped out of the mall. And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I wear nice comfy shoes and things.
I didn't used to be that way. I used to be able to walk all over the mall with no issues and be just fine the next day. But I limp out and limp all the next day now.
And I want to enjoy myself, without hurting. What can I do to build up my stamina. Should I just try standing for long periods of time--as I will be standing and walking around. I will only be in and out of about 5 stores, but I don't want to have to be carried out to the car.
Please help. Thank you.

Subject: Re: Building Up Stamina...

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/14 at 6:46 pm

Start walking now.  Walk 20 mins every day.
After a week walk 30 mins.
When you get strong push it to 45 mins and then an hour.

Your body will adapt. It just needs to get used to it. 

Do this every two days then take a day off but make sure you start up again.it really easy to fall out of the habit.

It may seem silly or u may think of reasons why it won't work....try it before you naysay it....I mean it certainly can't hurt

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/11/14 at 7:00 pm

Start walking now.  Walk 20 mins every day.
After a week walk 30 mins.
When you get strong push it to 45 mins and then an hour.

Your body will adapt. It just needs to get used to it. 

Do this every two days then take a day off but make sure you start up again.it really easy to fall out of the habit.

It may seem silly or u may think of reasons why it won't work....try it before you naysay it....I mean it certainly can't hurt

That sounds fair enough. Thank you. I'll give it a try.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/11/14 at 7:28 pm

EDIT:

Just now I realize how incredibly sedintary I am. I just dide the 20 minute walk and never in my life have I been so happy as to hear Michael start singing Billie Jean--the alarm that the 20 minutes were over. And now I think about it, I am sitting/lying down most of every day. I sit in dialysis. I sit/lie at home.
Even with Evan, we sit and eat, we sit and watch TV or movies. He has an island in his kitchen, we sit and COOK.
But I'll work it out. And buy myself something MJ to reward myself.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/11/14 at 8:43 pm

I only start with one minute. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/14 at 10:04 pm

EDIT:

Just now I realize how incredibly sedintary I am. I just dide the 20 minute walk and never in my life have I been so happy as to hear Michael start singing Billie Jean--the alarm that the 20 minutes were over. And now I think about it, I am sitting/lying down most of every day. I sit in dialysis. I sit/lie at home.
Even with Evan, we sit and eat, we sit and watch TV or movies. He has an island in his kitchen, we sit and COOK.
But I'll work it out. And buy myself something MJ to reward myself.

WTG!

Your body will adjust to it and you'll be surprised how far you'll be able to walk in a month. 

The best plan tho is to walk for 10 mins and then turn around and go home... You should be walking outside (unless you got on a treadmill)  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/14 at 10:06 pm

One minute is not going to do anything for you.

You could try 10 minutes. You don't have to walk fast you just have to move.
Your body won't adapt at one minute (unless you're sprinting) because you're not challenging it in any way shape or form  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/14 at 10:18 pm

Here's a site I found that let's you put in a date and it helps you prep for a 5k (3.1 miles)

The only thing I don't like is it has you start off a day on a day off and a day on and a day off.  I feel like it's too easy to get lazy (I speak from experience  :P)

Tif- if you put I your b date and it says start training in two weeks or a month.....I say don't wait; start the plan now- you'll be even more ready for your bday outing.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/14 at 3:45 pm

you need to do it longer than one minute.

Written By: snozberries on 04/12/14 at 10:26 pm

you need to do it longer than one minute.

A start is a start. At least a minute is some king of progress. It's better than nothing.  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/23/14 at 10:44 pm

UPDATE:

So, it's been almost two weeks since I started up with building my stamina, and I am happy to say that I am able to tolerate standing/walking for longer periods of time. I've started standing while watching tv andmoving around more, pacing and things and it is improving. I usually ache as I make groceries every weekend end, but this past weekend, I was alright when I came out.  I'm thankful for all the help everyone has given me. 

https://31.media.tumblr.com/2b49b0b0771a9643bd0e8af83a982130/tumblr_inline_mx8u1w0lQZ1rper7w.gif<--VICTORY DANCE!

Check for new replies or respond here...