inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can we have separate 50s and 60s pop culture forums?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/07/15 at 1:56 am

Given that the 1950s marks the birth of pop culture as a whole in the modern way of looking at it, and the 60s was such a diverse and transformative decade with tons of pop cultural icons and whatnot in and of itself, could perhaps these two decades get their own sub-forums, with pre-50s pop culture being what is now the pre-70s pop culture forum?

Subject: Re: Can we have separate 50s and 60s pop culture forums?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/07/15 at 2:01 am

Given that the 1950s marks the birth of pop culture as a whole in the modern way of looking at it, and the 60s was such a diverse and transformative decade with tons of pop cultural icons and whatnot in and of itself, could perhaps these two decades get their own sub-forums, with pre-50s pop culture being what is now the pre-70s pop culture forum?

I agree with you 100%, there should be 50s and 60s separate boards! Two completely distinct eras!

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/08/15 at 12:38 am

the 1950s marks the birth of pop culture as a whole in the modern way of looking at it

You could argue the "Roaring '20s" were actually the first pop culture decade. The jazz age, flappers, art deco, speakeasies, the crash of '29, etc. F. Scott Fitzgerald, Babe Ruth, Louise Brooks, Coco Chanel, Al Capone, George Gershwin, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Chaplin...

Written By: snozberries on 05/08/15 at 3:08 pm

One of the reasons there isn't a separate board for the 50s and 60s is because there aren't enough people from those eras utilizing the boards

If you look at the page count for the Before the 70s board (63pgs) vs the page counts of the other boards 70s (117), 80s (350), 90s (151), 00s (274) and  10s (106)  the eras before the 70s combined don't equal the amount of conversation for any other decade.

Feel free to start all the topics you want dedicated to the 50s and 60s in the Before the 70s boards... just please no decadeology...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/09/15 at 1:55 pm

I would be in favor of this.

Written By: snozberries on 05/09/15 at 2:31 pm

I would be in favor of this.

probably this discussion should be moved from Ask Me to Lend a Wing and the question should be posed to Chucky G...

Personally I don't care one way or the other I was just offering a reason why it probably wasn't done before.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/15 at 6:57 pm

You could argue the "Roaring '20s" were actually the first pop culture decade. The jazz age, flappers, art deco, speakeasies, the crash of '29, etc. F. Scott Fitzgerald, Babe Ruth, Louise Brooks, Coco Chanel, Al Capone, George Gershwin, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Chaplin...

For practical reasons, I doubt they're going to do that.

I think the post 1949 decades is enough, then one big section for 'pre-1950' is perfect.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/15/15 at 4:33 pm

One of the reasons there isn't a separate board for the 50s and 60s is because there aren't enough people from those eras utilizing the boards

If you look at the page count for the Before the 70s board (63pgs) vs the page counts of the other boards 70s (117), 80s (350), 90s (151), 00s (274) and  10s (106)  the eras before the 70s combined don't equal the amount of conversation for any other decade.

Feel free to start all the topics you want dedicated to the 50s and 60s in the Before the 70s boards... just please no decadeology...

I know I for one don't visit the pre-70s board because it's so cluttered. If there were specific boards for those decades, I'd visit them, and as you see, some of the other people replying would too. Could we try it on a trial basis and see how the traffic to those boards is?

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/15 at 5:38 pm

I know I for one don't visit the pre-70s board because it's so cluttered. If there were specific boards for those decades, I'd visit them, and as you see, some of the other people replying would too. Could we try it on a trial basis and see how the traffic to those boards is?

you would have to ask Chucky... these are his boards only he can make a decision like that...

This question should be moved to the Lend a Wing section instead of being in the Ask Me section... don't know if this board's moderator is around to move it... actually I don't know who moderates this board...lemme check

no moderator listed.... yeah I would send a message to Chucky G and see if he's willing to do that.

Check for new replies or respond here...