inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask SharksFan99

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 7:50 am

I figured that you might like to ask me a few questions, considering the fact that I live in another country (Australia). Ask away! :)

Subject: Re: Ask HazelBlue99

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 7:51 am

Do have a favourite film?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 7:52 am

Do have a favourite film?

Not really, to be completely honest.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 8:04 am

Do you have a favorite genre of music?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 8:09 am

Do you have a favorite genre of music?

My favourite genre of music is rock/grunge. I don't mind a few metal songs, but generally speaking, I prefer rock over metal. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 8:28 am

How is it living in Australia?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 8:49 am

How is it living in Australia?

Pretty good. However, because I have never traveled overseas before, I can't really compare the quality of life ,here in Australia, with other countries, at least not in a first-hand experience anyway.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 8:53 am

Did you ever get to visit any major cities in Australia?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 9:02 am

Which state has the best beaches in Australia?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 9:05 am

Did you ever get to visit any major cities in Australia?

I only live about an 1.5 hours drive south of Sydney, so I have traveled to Sydney many times before. Canberra (the capital of Australia) is only a 2.5 hour drive away, so I have traveled down there on many occasions in the past. I have traveled to Melbourne on several occasions before, but it is an 11 hour drive away from where I live, so I don't go down there too often. :P I have been to Adelaide once before and to Hobart on two occasions. I have never been/traveled to Perth, Brisbane or Darwin before.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 9:08 am

I only live about an 1.5 hours drive south of Sydney, so I have traveled to Sydney many times before. Canberra (the capital of Australia) is only a 2.5 hour drive away, so I have traveled down there on many occasions in the past. I have traveled to Melbourne on several occasions before, but it is an 11 hour drive away from where I live, so I don't go down there too often. :P I have been to Adelaide once before and to Hobart on two occasions. I have never been/traveled to Perth, Brisbane or Darwin before.
You have just answered my next question, which area are you in?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 9:09 am

Which state has the best beaches in Australia?

I can't really answer with a definite response, because I have never been to Western Australia or the Northern Territory before and generally speaking, every state has a few nice beaches. The state that I live in, New South Wales, has a lot of really nice beaches. Probably the most famous one is Bondi Beach, which is located along Sydney's coastline. Personally, I don't really like it, because it is too crowded for my liking. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 9:11 am

You have just answered my next question, which area are you in?

Wollongong, a city just south of Sydney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wollongong

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 10:50 am

Favourite video game?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 5:37 pm

Favourite video game?

GTA, FIFA and SimCity 4 are my favourite video games/series.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 5:53 pm

Have you been to New York?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 5:54 pm

Have you been to New York?

I have never traveled overseas before, so no I haven't.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 5:55 pm

What's your favorite game from GTA?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/10/16 at 6:00 pm

What's your favorite game from GTA?

Grand Theft Auto V

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 8:40 pm

GTA, FIFA and SimCity 4 are my favourite video games/series.

Yasss!! Favourite building style?  ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/11/16 at 2:14 am

Yasss!! Favourite building style?  ;D

I really like building cities, especially low-density suburbia and CBDs. I do have a fair few regions which are rural, but after a while, a lot of them transform into cities. :P I own SimCity 4 : Rush Hour, which is better than the original SimCity 4 release, in my opinion. Seeing as though you like SimCity 4 as well, can I ask you what your favourite building style is? :)

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/16 at 10:23 am

I really like building cities, especially low-density suburbia and CBDs. I do have a fair few regions which are rural, but after a while, a lot of them transform into cities. :P I own SimCity 4 : Rush Hour, which is better than the original SimCity 4 release, in my opinion. Seeing as though you like SimCity 4 as well, can I ask you what your favourite building style is? :)

Yes! Getting to the CBDs and downtowns is always the fun part  :D I like building mid-towns with medium-density/low rise apartments and offices/shops as well.

I had the Deluxe version, with the original and the expansion pack on one disc.

We should make a City Journal thread or something ;D

You said you play FIFA, did you used to play Football Manager?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/16 at 9:32 pm

We should make a City Journal thread or something ;D

That sounds like a great idea! :)

In response to your question, I haven't played Football Manager before. It seems like a good game, but I think I would prefer to just stick with FIFA. ;)

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 4:06 am

My favourite genre of music is rock/grunge. I don't mind a few metal songs, but generally speaking, I prefer rock over metal.

For someone who hasn't listened to much grunge music (besides a couple songs Smells Like Teen Spirit), and mainly likes stuff like Jazz and R&B, what songs would you recommend?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/15/16 at 5:14 am

For someone who hasn't listened to much grunge music (besides a couple songs Smells Like Teen Spirit), and mainly likes stuff like Jazz and R&B, what songs would you recommend?

Besides "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Nirvana have a few other great songs. "Lithium", "In Bloom", "Come As You Are" and "Heart-Shaped Box" are songs of theirs which I would highly recommend, especially the first two. Moving on from Nirvana, another band which I would highly recommend is Pearl Jam. My personal favourite songs of theirs are "Alive" and "Jeremy". Admittedly, I am a bit biased towards Pearl Jam, because I grew up listening too them as a kid and they were one of my favourite childhood bands. I would also recommend Soundgarden and The Smashing Pumpkins as well.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/15/16 at 11:37 am

Besides "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Nirvana have a few other great songs. "Lithium", "In Bloom", "Come As You Are" and "Heart-Shaped Box" are songs of theirs which I would highly recommend, especially the first two. Moving on from Nirvana, another band which I would highly recommend is Pearl Jam. My personal favourite songs of theirs are "Alive" and "Jeremy". Admittedly, I am a bit biased towards Pearl Jam, because I grew up listening too them as a kid and they were one of my favourite childhood bands. I would also recommend Soundgarden and The Smashing Pumpkins as well.

Hmm, I've heard of all of those bands, but I've never actually tried listening to them, thanks for the recommendations, I'll make sure to listen to all of them! :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/19/16 at 5:55 am

Hmm, I've heard of all of those bands, but I've never actually tried listening to them, thanks for the recommendations, I'll make sure to listen to all of them! :)

No worries. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 3:54 am

Even though my username has changed, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 7:16 am

Even though my username has changed, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)
Thanks, I was trying to remember your old name.

You can change the title to this topic by modifying the original post.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 7:24 am

Thanks, I was trying to remember your old name.

You can change the title to this topic by modifying the original post.

I didn't know you could change the title, to be honest. Thanks for the help. :)

Subject: Re: Ask SharksFan99

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 7:25 am

I didn't know you could change the title, to be honest. Thanks for the help. :)
O0

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:47 am

Do you own a video game console?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 7:54 am

Do you own a video game console?

I own quite a lot actually. :P

Two PS2s, Three PS3s, a PS4, an Xbox, a Gameboy Colour and a Nintendo DS Lite.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 8:08 am

Are you able to play at least one?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 8:42 am

Are you able to play at least one?

Yes I am. :)

Written By: d90 on 12/15/16 at 11:54 am

What country do you live in?

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 2:50 pm

Yes I am. :)

What video game do you like to play?

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 3:47 pm

What country do you live in?

To add (since I already know the answer to this, but I'll let you do it  ;)), what city do you live in?

Written By: violet_shy on 12/15/16 at 3:49 pm

Do you have any pets? And if you don't and wanted to have pets, which would you have?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/15/16 at 4:42 pm

Holden or Ford?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 5:41 pm

To add (since I already know the answer to this, but I'll let you do it  ;)), what city do you live in?

Wollongong, a city 82 kilometres (51 miles) south of Sydney. :)

Do you have any pets? And if you don't and wanted to have pets, which would you have?

I own a 9-year-old Golden Labrador. :)

Holden or Ford?

Holden, but I don't really have an interest in cars or motorsport, to be honest.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/15/16 at 7:06 pm

What does your username mean? I'm assuming that 99 is the year you were born, but what Sharks are you a fan of? Are they a sports team, or a musical group, or the animal itself?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 7:27 pm

What does your username mean? I'm assuming that 99 is the year you were born, but what Sharks are you a fan of? Are they a sports team, or a musical group, or the animal itself?

I'm a fan of the rugby league team, the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks. I have been a Sharks fan since 2008. Even though they have been in existence since 1967, they only won their first ever Premiership this year. You're right, the 99 is an abbreviation of the year I was born in, 1999. :)

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 8:20 pm

Wollongong, a city 82 kilometres (51 miles) south of Sydney. :)

I own a 9-year-old Golden Labrador. :)

Holden, but I don't really have an interest in cars or motorsport, to be honest.

It looks beautiful *_* You must have amazing weather this time of year.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 9:51 pm

It looks beautiful *_* You must have amazing weather this time of year.

I don't really enjoy the weather at this time of year, in all honesty. It's summer over here at the moment. On Tuesday, it got up to 40 degrees (104 degrees farenheit), which was really horrible. Maybe I should move to Canada, so I can experience more cooler temperatures. :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/16/16 at 1:15 am

Vegemite: Yea or nay???  :o

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/16/16 at 1:26 am

Nay. I used to like Vegemite, but I ate it too often when I was younger and now I am over it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/16 at 4:37 am

Nay. I used to like Vegemite, but I ate it too often when I was younger and now I am over it.
One time there was a shop in London selling Vegemite, I was warned not to buy it.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/16 at 8:06 am

What grade are you in? :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/16/16 at 5:29 pm

What grade are you in? :)

I'm now in Year 12, which is the equivalent of the final year of High School in the US. :)

One time there was a shop in London selling Vegemite, I was warned not to buy it.

I think it just depends on the individual's tastes. One thing I have noticed, is that people who do like Vegemite started eating it at a young age.

Written By: d90 on 12/17/16 at 2:42 am

What's it like celebrating Christmas during the summer?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 1:25 am

What's it like celebrating Christmas during the summer?

It's good, although I would personally prefer to experience Christmas during the Winter. For lunch/dinner, we normally eat prawns (shrimps), cold meat, potato bake, salad, chicken and crab meat.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 3:17 pm

What are your plans after High School?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 5:20 pm

What are your plans after High School?

Once I finish High School, I plan on applying for a part-time job for a year or two, just so I can gain experience in the workplace and have a break from studying and exams. I have never had a job before and i'm not really a social person, so I think it would be beneficial to apply for a part-time job for a year or two (after I finish). After that (depending on how I feel and what happens between now and then), I will more than likely join my local University and do a Photography and "Multimedia" course.

I don't know if there is anything similar in the US, but in Australia, you have to undertake exams (for your subjects) at the end of Year 12, so you can receive your High School Certificate. Along with your HSC, depending on the subjects you have chose, you will also receive an ATAR. An ATAR allows you to enter University based on the results you received in your High School Certificate. ATARs are valid for up to 5 years, so I will be able to join University (I will be receiving an ATAR) anytime between the end of next year and 2022.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/21/17 at 10:27 pm

Please feel free to ask me anything. :)

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/17 at 11:27 pm

Since your public school career is finishing up (I think you said you graduate in November?), what would you say was your favourite grade (or I think you call it "year" there?)?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 11:28 pm

1. What's your favorite thing about Australia?
2. What's your least favorite thing about Australia?
3. What's your favorite animated cartoon of all-time?
4. What's your favorite color?
5. What is the country that you want to visit the most?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/22/17 at 2:46 am

Since your public school career is finishing up (I think you said you graduate in November?), what would you say was your favourite grade (or I think you call it "year" there?)?

Yep, that's right. :) My favourite school year/grade was probably Year 3, although I generally like all of my primary school years.

1. What's your favorite thing about Australia?

Probably its "quirkiness" and quality of life.

2. What's your least favorite thing about Australia?

Even though we are a highly developed and westernised country (like the US and UK), we are behind on so many things.

* Same-sex marriage still hasn't been legalised here, even though it was legalised in the US, the UK and New Zealand several years ago. I'm not homosexual, but regardless, I still think it's pretty bad that it has not been legalised by now. Both sides of Government (Labor & Liberal) can't decide on how to implement it and as a result of that, there are currently no plans to legalise same-sex marriage in the next few years.

*Our rail network is ordinary. A lot of our train tracks haven't been upgraded in over 50 years, which means that trains cannot travel as fast as they are capable of. For instance, I live about 100 kilometres (62 miles) south of Sydney, yet it takes up to two hours to travel to the Sydney CBD by train. We also don't have a high speed railway line, although there are talks of building one between Sydney and Melbourne in the next 20-25 years.

*Pay-TV was only launched in Australia in 1995, even though it launched in the US and UK in 1948 and 1989 respectively.

*Colour TV was launched here in 1975, despite the fact that it has been available in the US and UK since 1950 and 1969 respectively.

There are a few more things as well, but I won't ramble on about them. :P I just wish Australia was more "up to date" with a few things.

3. What's your favorite animated cartoon of all-time?

Probably The Simpsons.

4. What's your favorite color?

My favourite colour is blue. :)

5. What is the country that you want to visit the most?

New Zealand. Besides NZ, I would also like to visit the UK and Canada. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 3:58 am

Do you follow cricket, especially the Ashes?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/22/17 at 4:35 am

Do you follow cricket, especially the Ashes?

No I don't. I don't really like cricket, in all honesty.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 4:37 am

No I don't. I don't really like cricket, in all honesty.
At times, I wish I did not follow cricket...

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:23 pm

Is there shrimp on the barbie?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 2:07 am

Is there shrimp on the barbie?

If you put them on a barbecue, then yes. :P

Written By: aja675 on 06/26/17 at 3:24 am

What's the furthest place you've ever been to?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/26/17 at 3:41 am

What's the furthest place you've ever been to?

Tasmania (the island state). :P

I would like to one day explore Western Australia and the Northern Territory (as they are the only states I have yet to travel to), as well as visit the UK, New Zealand and Canada. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/17 at 7:20 am

Are you a sharks fan?

Written By: aja675 on 06/26/17 at 9:33 am

Tasmania (the island state). :P

I would like to one day explore Western Australia and the Northern Territory (as they are the only states I have yet to travel to), as well as visit the UK, New Zealand and Canada. :)
Yeah, I'm not too well-traveled either. Here's a rough approximation of the total distance of places I've been to. https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=bolinao+to+subic&oq=bolinao+to+subic&aqs=chrome..69i57.2952j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=bolinao+to+laiya

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/26/17 at 11:12 pm

Are you a sharks fan?

I'm a fan of the Cronulla Sharks rugby league team. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronulla-Sutherland_Sharks

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/26/17 at 11:14 pm

Do you know of the other Sharks team that he's (potentially) talking about?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/27/17 at 1:06 am

Do you know of the other Sharks team that he's (potentially) talking about?

There's a rugby union team in South Africa known as the "Sharks". I'm going to guess and say that there's a "Sharks" in the NFL as well?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 1:12 am

There's a rugby union team in South Africa known as the "Sharks". I'm going to guess and say that there's a "Sharks" in the NFL as well?

There's an NHL team called the Sharks...but NFL is a good guess. The San Jose Sharks of the NHL located in San Jose, California (The Capital of Silicon Valley).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/SharksWordLogo.svg/1024px-SharksWordLogo.svg.png

Written By: aja675 on 06/27/17 at 4:19 am

Yeah, I'm not too well-traveled either. Here's a rough approximation of the total distance of places I've been to. https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=bolinao+to+subic&oq=bolinao+to+subic&aqs=chrome..69i57.2952j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=bolinao+to+laiya
According to Google, what's the total distance between the two furthest away places you've ever been to?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/27/17 at 4:38 am

According to Google, what's the total distance between the two furthest away places you've ever been to?

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/map_zpspofv5fmf.jpg

In 2011, I went on a holiday/road trip. To get to my final destination, I traveled 1,971 kilometres (1,224 miles)!  :o

Written By: aja675 on 06/27/17 at 5:07 am

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/map_zpspofv5fmf.jpg

In 2011, I went on a holiday/road trip. To get to my final destination, I traveled 1,971 kilometres (1,224 miles)!  :o
I mean, like, the overall distance of the places you've been to and what they add up to in the end.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/17 at 7:29 am

I think I meant do you like sharks in general? ???

Written By: aja675 on 06/28/17 at 6:58 am

What was your first musical memory?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/28/17 at 11:54 pm

What was your first musical memory?

I can remember listening to the Hi-5 (a kids show aimed at toddlers/pre-schoolers) theme song in Early 2002.

Hi-5 Theme Song

However, when it comes to listening to proper songs, I think 2003 is the first year in which I can really remember what I was listening to. There not in any particular order, but here are a few songs I can remember listening to that year. :)

* - "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer.
* - "Hey Ya" by Outkast
* - Linkin Park's Meteora album. I can actually remember when the album was released, because it came out a week or two after my 4th birthday and it was around the time that I started to like their songs as well. "Faint" was my favourite song at the time.
* - "Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake
* - "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior.
* - "You're The Voice" by John Farnham
* - "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit.
* - "I Hate Everything About You" by Three Days Grace.
* - Evanescence's debut album.

To be honest, a lot of these songs make me feel very nostalgic for 2003. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 1:02 am

I think I meant do you like sharks in general? ???

I'm not fascinated with Sharks at all, but yeah, I do like them. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 1:03 am

Are you content with being born in 1999?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 1:15 am

Are you content with being born in 1999?

Not really, to be honest. I wish I had some vivid memories of the 20th Century, even if I could only vividly remember a year or two. Ideally, I would have liked to have been born in the Late 80s, so that way I could have experienced my childhood in the 90s and teenage years in the 2000s.

The thing that most annoys me, is that I never got to experience a time when popular culture was authentic and not solely consumer-driven. Popular culture today is soulless and I can't connect with any of it. Of course, it's likely that I still would have experienced todays pop-culture if I was born earlier, but at least I would have a vivid recollection of what the world was like before it all went downhill. I know that it's all subjective, but that's how I feel about it anyway.

Heck, even being born in 1995 or 1996 would have been better than being born in 1999. At least that way I would have been able to vividly remember all of the Early 2000s, apart from just 2003.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 1:19 am

Not really, to be honest. I wish I had some vivid memories of the 20th Century, even if I could only vividly remember a year or two. Ideally, I would have liked to have been born in the Late 80s, so that way I could have experienced my childhood in the 90s and teenage years in the 2000s.

The thing that most annoys me, is that I never got to experience a time when popular culture was authentic and not solely consumer-driven. Popular culture today is soulless and I can't connect with any of it. Of course, it's likely that I still would have experienced todays pop-culture if I was born earlier, but at least I would have a vivid recollection of what the world was like before it all went downhill. I know that it's all subjective, but that's how I feel about it anyway.

Heck, even being born in 1995 or 1996 would have been better than being born in 1999. At least that way I would have been able to vividly remember all of the Early 2000s, apart from just 2003.

Interesting....thanks for answering (and giving your reasoning).

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 06/29/17 at 2:15 am

Would you rather be in a real-life zombie apocolypse or have everyone in the world look at your internet history?  8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 2:21 am

Would you rather be in a real-life zombie apocolypse or have everyone in the world look at your internet history?  8)

Everyone in the world look at my internet history. I wouldn't like it, but my internet history isn't bad. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/19/17 at 9:38 am

Please feel free to ask me questions if you have any. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/19/17 at 9:54 am

What video games do you like?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 10:39 am

1. Sydney or Melbourne? Which city do you think is better?
2. Do you wish that Australia (or specifically Sydney) would host another Summer Olympics?
3. What is something you don't like about Australia or Australian culture?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/19/17 at 11:09 am

What video games do you like?

My favourite video game is SimCity 4. I also really like the GTA series and FIFA. :) I've never really been big into gaming though.

1. Sydney or Melbourne? Which city do you think is better?
2. Do you wish that Australia (or specifically Sydney) would host another Summer Olympics?
3. What is something you don't like about Australia or Australian culture?

1. Both cities have their pros and cons. Between the two, I generally prefer Melbourne, because I really like it's overall vibe and culture. However, with that said, there are many nice areas in Sydney as well. The one thing really going against Sydney is it's transport system. It was never planned properly and as a result, it's a bit messy and convoluted. For instance, I only live 62 miles south of the Sydney CBD, yet if I want to get to the city centre itself, I need to drive through the southern suburbs of Sydney. The motorway ends (the one that goes to the region I live in) just on the outskirts of the city. :(

2. I think it would be really good if Australia hosted another Summer Olympics, especially considering the fact that I never got to take in the Sydney 2000 Olympics (because I was too young). It probably won't happen for a long time though. :(

3. Generally speaking, I really like Australia and it's culture. However, the one thing that I don't like about it, is that we can be a bit "behind the times" in some aspects (which is stupid, considering that we are a developed western country just like the US and UK). For instance, same-sex marriage still hasn't been legalised here, even though it has been legalised in many countries around the world already. Even though i'm straight, I still think it's pretty bad that it hasn't already been legalised here.

Here are a few other things that illustrate how "stuck in the past" Australia has been at times:

* VHS still remained popular here until 2009/2010, even though DVD was the main and most popular format.

* Blockbuster still exists here.

* Pay-TV (or cable-tv) was only launched here in 1995.

* Up until 2010, if you didn't have pay-tv or digital TV, you could only watch/access five TV channels (which are free-to-air channels).

It's just really strange that Australia has been "behind the times" in so many ways. It's not like we're any different from the US and UK in terms of how developed we are, as a country.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 11:21 am

1. Both cities have their pros and cons. Between the two, I generally prefer Melbourne, because I really like it's overall vibe and culture. However, with that said, there are many nice areas in Sydney as well. The one thing really going against Sydney is it's transport system. It was never planned properly and as a result, it's a bit messy and convoluted. For instance, I only live 62 miles south of the Sydney CBD, yet if I want to get to the city centre itself, I need to drive through the southern suburbs of Sydney. The motorway ends (the one that goes to the region I live in) just on the outskirts of the city. :(

Interesting, thanks for explaining/answering. Yeah, I've heard that Sydney can be messy and convoluted :P.

2. I think it would be really good if Australia hosted another Summer Olympics, especially considering the fact that I never got to take in the Sydney 2000 Olympics (because I was too young). It probably won't happen for a long time though. :(

Yeah, we were both 1 years old when it happened...that sucks. Currently, North America (the USA, Canada and Mexico) is bidding to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup and this bid is the favorite to win (over Morocco) and I'm so pumped. Los Angeles is also hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics...so the mid-late 2020s will be an EPIC time for the United States :D (in terms of international sporting events).

3. Generally speaking, I really like Australia and it's culture. However, the one thing that I don't like about it, is that we can be a bit "behind the times" in some aspects (which is stupid, considering that we are a developed western country just like the US and UK). For instance, same-sex marriage still hasn't been legalised here, even though it has been legalised in many countries around the world already. Even though i'm straight, I still think it's pretty bad that it hasn't already been legalised here.

Here are a few other things that illustrate how "stuck in the past" Australia has been at times:

* VHS still remained popular here until 2009/2010, even though DVD was the main and most popular format.

* Blockbuster still exists here.

* Pay-TV (or cable-tv) was only launched here in 1995.

* Up until 2010, if you didn't have pay-tv or digital TV, you could only watch/access five TV channels (which are free-to-air channels).

It's just really strange that Australia has been "behind the times" in so many ways. It's not like we're any different from the US and UK in terms of how developed we are, as a country.

Wow, I didn't know that Australia was so "behind", lol :P.

I also heard that you guys didn't get rid of the White Australia policy until 1973 :o.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/19/17 at 6:48 pm

1. Favorite Australian prime minister?
2. Favorite foreign country?
3. Favorite car?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/19/17 at 8:04 pm

Yeah, we were both 1 years old when it happened...that sucks. Currently, North America (the USA, Canada and Mexico) is bidding to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup and this bid is the favorite to win (over Morocco) and I'm so pumped. Los Angeles is also hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics...so the mid-late 2020s will be an EPIC time for the United States :D (in terms of international sporting events).

Hopefully the US will win both bids. :) Hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be pretty beneficial for the US, especially considering the fact that a lot of Americans don't like soccer.

Wow, I didn't know that Australia was so "behind", lol :P.

I also heard that you guys didn't get rid of the White Australia policy until 1973 :o.

Yep, you're right! :) Up until 1973, non-Europeans couldn't migrate to Australia, although some of the laws were relaxed towards the end of the policy's lifespan. Australia has a really bad history in regards to treating people of different ethnicities. I think it's even worse than how the Europeans treated the Native Americans.  :o

1. Favorite Australian prime minister?
2. Favorite foreign country?
3. Favorite car?

1. Kevin Rudd. He was the prime minister from 2007 to 2010, then again for a few months in 2013. :P

2. This is a tough one. I really like New Zealand, the UK and Canada equally. I'll just leave it at that. :P

3. I don't have a favourite car, to be honest. I'm not really into cars.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 8:29 pm

Hopefully the US will win both bids. :) Hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be pretty beneficial for the US, especially considering the fact that a lot of Americans don't like soccer.

Los Angeles has already won the bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics (it originally was bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics but that went to Paris). For the 2026 FIFA World Cup, it's almost guaranteed that we (North America) are going to be hosting the event...it's just that we have to wait until the official selection date (June 2018). Morocco doesn't have the infrastructure and money that North America has :P.

Yep, you're right! :) Up until 1973, non-Europeans couldn't migrate to Australia, although some of the laws were relaxed towards the end of the policy's lifespan. Australia has a really bad history in regards to treating people of different ethnicities. I think it's even worse than how the Europeans treated the Native Americans.  :o

Yeah, both were (and in some ways still is) horrible.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 11:23 pm

I forget to tell you that the U.S. hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup and the U.S. hosting the '94 World Cup was huge for making soccer more popular in America. Yes, most Americans either don't watch or are neutral towards soccer but many kids play soccer recreationally (the term "soccer mom" comes from this). Also, the MLS (Major League Soccer) held it's first season in 1996...2 years after the '94 WC and the MLS has grown from being widely mocked, weak and hardly followed to now being somewhat respected, teams having sizable dedicated fans and continuing to get better. Obviously, the MLS is not on par with England's Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Germany's Bundesliga, France's Ligue 1 and Italy's Serie A but it's still doing OK and better than most other countries.

Soccer is also growing in viewership and will most likely continue to grow here in America.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/20/17 at 1:42 am

What do you like most about living in Australia? :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/20/17 at 1:56 am

I forget to tell you that the U.S. hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup and the U.S. hosting the '94 World Cup was huge for making soccer more popular in America. Yes, most Americans either don't watch or are neutral towards soccer but many kids play soccer recreationally (the term "soccer mom" comes from this).

Also, the MLS (Major League Soccer) held it's first season in 1996...2 years after the '94 WC and the MLS has grown from being widely mocked, weak and hardly followed to now being somewhat respected, teams having sizable dedicated fans and continuing to get better. Obviously, the MLS is not on par with England's Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Germany's Bundesliga, France's Ligue 1 and Italy's Serie A but it's still doing OK and better than most other countries.

Soccer is also growing in viewership and will most likely continue to grow here in America.

Yeah, I think I have read about the impact the 1994 FIFA World Cup had on the sport in the US. I'm pretty sure that there was a soccer league prior to the World Cup and MLS, but it was on the brink of collapse and none of the clubs were profiting financially. I think it was called the NASL, or something along those lines.

I've watched bits and pieces of the MLS before and a lot of the stadiums end up being sold-out. The league gets pretty good crowds, from what I have seen. You're right, it definitely is improving and it has made a pretty good impact on America. I don't know if you know who he is, but LA Galaxy ended up signing Steven Gerrard, who was an absolute club legend for Liverpool in the Premier League. I think LA Galaxy signed Frank Lampard as well, and he was one of Chelsea's biggest stars. Those are really big signings and it just goes to show how much the MLS is improving. Put it this way, the MLS is better than Australia's national league, the A-League! :P

What do you like most about living in Australia? :)

Definitely the quality of life. :) Australia was ranked as being the 2nd most livable country in the world by the Human Development Index last year. I wouldn't want to live in another country, to be honest!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/20/17 at 2:04 am

If you got to choose when you were born, what year would you choose?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 2:23 am

Yeah, I think I have read about the impact the 1994 FIFA World Cup had on the sport in the US. I'm pretty sure that there was a soccer league prior to the World Cup and MLS, but it was on the brink of collapse and none of the clubs were profiting financially. I think it was called the NASL, or something along those lines.

I've watched bits and pieces of the MLS before and a lot of the stadiums end up being sold-out. The league gets pretty good crowds, from what I have seen. You're right, it definitely is improving and it has made a pretty good impact on America. I don't know if you know who he is, but LA Galaxy ended up signing Steven Gerrard, who was an absolute club legend for Liverpool in the Premier League. I think LA Galaxy signed Frank Lampard as well, and he was one of Chelsea's biggest stars. Those are really big signings and it just goes to show how much the MLS is improving. Put it this way, the MLS is better than Australia's national league, the A-League! :P

I'm a causal fan of soccer but I definitely know of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard (who played for my hometown club NYCFC)....they're legends.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/20/17 at 2:49 am

If you got to choose when you were born, what year would you choose?

Anytime in the Late '80s. That way, I would have been able to experience the '90s as a kid. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 3:07 am

Who is your celebrity crush?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/20/17 at 3:13 am

Who is your celebrity crush?

I don't have one, to be honest!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 3:20 am

I don't have one, to be honest!

Bummer :P. What does your ideal girl look like? (a pic would be nice :P)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/20/17 at 4:42 am

Bummer :P. What does your ideal girl look like? (a pic would be nice :P)

My ideal girl would be someone who is kind and appreciates me for who I am. Looks aren't important to me. If I can really bond with someone and we genuinely enjoy each other's company, then that's what really matters.

I don't have a pic. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 12:21 pm

My ideal girl would be someone who is kind and appreciates me for who I am. Looks aren't important to me. If I can really bond with someone and we genuinely enjoy each other's company, then that's what really matters.

I don't have a pic. :P

Well, I hope that you end up finding that girl who is right for you :).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/21/17 at 1:46 am

Well, I hope that you end up finding that girl who is right for you :).

Thank you, you too. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/21/17 at 3:00 am

What do you like doing in your free time? 8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/21/17 at 4:22 am

What do you like doing in your free time? 8)

I really like to listen to music. I also like to play SimCity 4 on the odd occasion, as well as FIFA 17 or GTA V on my PS4. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/24/17 at 1:53 am

What TV shows do you like to watch? 8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/24/17 at 4:54 pm

What TV shows do you like to watch? 8)

I like watching The Walking Dead and shows from the past, such as Two and a Half Men.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 2:14 am

Please feel free to ask me any questions, if you have any. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 2:17 am

Please feel free to ask me any questions, if you have any. :)

Can you speak any other languages?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 2:18 am

Can you speak any other languages?

No I can't. :( I learnt German (as a subject) in Year 7, but I can only remember a few words from it. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/02/17 at 2:20 am

Have you seen any of the Crocodile Dundee movies?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 2:24 am

Have you seen any of the Crocodile Dundee movies?

I have only watched the first one. It was ok, although I think it's a bit overrated to be honest. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/02/17 at 2:25 am

I have only watched the first one. It was ok, although I think it's a bit overrated to be honest. :P

Same :P.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 5:55 am

Do you have a drivers license?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 6:43 pm

Do you have a drivers license?

Yep. :) I have had a drivers licence since May 2015. Although, I only got off my Learners licence in May last year.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 6:57 pm

Yep. :) I have had a drivers licence since May 2015. Although, I only got off my Learners licence in May last year.

So you have P plates or full license?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 7:10 pm

So you have P plates or full license?

I'm on my P's. I'm not sure what it's like in New Zealand, but in New South Wales, we have two different types of P plate licences; Red P's and Green P's. You go onto your Red P's after you have finished being on your Learners licence. On your red P's, you can only do a maximum of 90 km/h and you can't tow anything. You also can't have any passengers in your car between 11pm and 6am. To get your Green P's, you need to stay on your Red P's for at least 12 months and you need to be over the age of 18.

I'm on my Green P's at the moment. I got them in May this year. :) On your Green P's, you can do a maximum of 100 km/h and there are less restrictions. However, you need to stay on your Green P's for at least two years. I cant go for my full licence until May 2019. :(

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 7:15 pm

I'm on my P's. I'm not sure what it's like in New Zealand, but in New South Wales, we have two different types of P plate licences; Red P's and Green P's. You go onto your Red P's after you have finished being on your Learners licence. On your red P's, you can only do a maximum of 90 km/h and you can't tow anything. You also can't have any passengers in your car between 11pm and 6am. To get your Green P's, you need to stay on your Red P's for at least 12 months and you need to be over the age of 18.

I'm on my Green P's at the moment. I got them in May this year. :) On your Green P's, you can do a maximum of 100 km/h and there are less restrictions. However, you need to stay on your Green P's for at least two years. I cant go for my full licence until May 2019. :(

Wow! Such a long process- 4 years! :o If I hadn't been so lazy I could have gotten my full license within a year, and would have had it by now. (Btw we have Learners, Restricted and then Full license).

Also what are you supposed to do if you drive on the Highway but can't go over 90km/h? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 7:41 pm

Wow! Such a long process- 4 years! :o If I hadn't been so lazy I could have gotten my full license within a year, and would have had it by now. (Btw we have Learners, Restricted and then Full license).

Also what are you supposed to do if you drive on the Highway but can't go over 90km/h? ???

It's different in each state! Victoria has a similar process to New Zealand, I think. Down there, you can go for your full licence when you turn 18.

There's nothing you can do. :( Everyone else is doing 100 km/h, but you are stuck doing 90. It's even worse when you're in a 110 zone! Thankfully, I don't have to only do 90. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 3:18 pm

What kind of car?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/04/17 at 6:14 pm

What are your top 5 songs of 2017?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 10:58 pm

What are your top 5 songs of 2017?

My top 5 songs which have peaked in the Mainstream Top 50? It would probably look something like this: :)

1. "Sign of the Times" - Harry Styles
2. "Younger Now" - Miley Cyrus
3. "Lay It On Me" - Vance Joy
4. "Malibu" - Miley Cyrus
5. "Praying" - Kesha

Although, in all honesty, my listing is more based on which songs do I dislike the least. :P I don't mind the songs listed above, but I wouldn't really go out of my way to listen to them.

If I didn't base it off the Top 50 charts, it would look like this.

1. "Lights Out" - Royal Blood
2. "California Dreaming" - Hollywood Undead
3. "Run" - Foo Fighters
4. "Sign of the Times" - Harry Styles
5. "Wall of Glass" - Liam Gallagher

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 10:59 pm

What kind of car?

2002 Nissan Pulsar. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/17 at 11:02 pm

How tall are you?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 11:05 pm

How tall are you?

Roughly 6ft 2'. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/17 at 11:09 pm

Nice. Man, you're lucky.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 11:13 pm

Nice. Man, you're lucky.

Thanks. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 2:07 am

You are about an inch taller than me!

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 7:18 pm

Have you ever been to the Gold Coast?

What are your plans after you're done with high school? (apologies if that's too personal :P)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 12:19 am

Have you ever been to the Gold Coast?

Yeah I have. I went there in 2003 and 2009. It's definitely worth checking out! :)

What are your plans after you're done with high school? (apologies if that's too personal :P)

No, it's fine! :) To be honest, I still don't really have a firm idea on what career path I want to go in. Next year, i'm planning on getting a part-time or casual job, so I can gain experience in the workforce. I have never had a job before and I didn't do work experience in high school either, so I want to adjust to being in the "real world". :P It will also give me a chance to assess whether I want to go to University and what course I want to do.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 12:25 am

No, it's fine! :) To be honest, I still don't really have a firm idea on what career path I want to go in. Next year, i'm planning on getting a part-time or casual job, so I can gain experience in the workforce. I have never had a job before and I didn't do work experience in high school either, so I want to adjust to being in the "real world". :P It will also give me a chance to assess whether I want to go to University and what course I want to do.

Good luck with all of that and your future endeavors :).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 12:26 am

Good luck with all of that and your future endeavors :).

Thank you. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/11/17 at 7:46 pm

What is your favourite and least favourite thing about living in Wollongong?

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/17 at 9:19 pm

Yeah I have. I went there in 2003 and 2009. It's definitely worth checking out! :)

That's awesome. I also took a year off after high school. Got a really decent job (for someone that age), looked great on a résumé, and didn't have to worry about money when I went off to uni ;)

Maybe you can move to Canada haha ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/13/17 at 3:03 am

What is your favourite and least favourite thing about living in Wollongong?

I like living in Wollongong. I have lived here my whole life. :) My favourite and least-favourite things about the city would be:

Favourite Things:

* The location. It's a beautiful area and it's only about 80 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD.
* It has everything you need.
* The surrounding regions are just as nice (e.g South Coast, Southern Highlands).

Least Favourite Things:

* It is really expensive to live in. The average house price in Wollongong is $850,000; the average for the state (NSW) is only $656,000. Also, the average rental price is $500 a week, meaning that it is $50 higher than the state average. Wollongong is actually the 3rd most expensive city in Australia. On average, it is more expensive to live here than it is to live in Melbourne and New York! :(
* The city doesn't live up to it's full potential. So much more could be done.
* Wollongong is under-represented in the professional sports leagues. We only have a basketball team (Illawarra Hawks) and our only other team is the St George-Illawarra Dragons in the NRL, which is a merged team and only plays four home matches in Wollongong each year.
* It can be hard to find work in the region. A lot of people travel up to Sydney for work.

That's awesome. I also took a year off after high school. Got a really decent job (for someone that age), looked great on a résumé, and didn't have to worry about money when I went off to uni ;)

Maybe you can move to Canada haha ;D

Haha. Canada is a beautiful country and I would really like to go there one day. Not sure if I would move though. :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/13/17 at 3:12 am

I like living in Wollongong. I have lived here my whole life. :) My favourite and least-favourite things about the city would be:

Favourite Things:

* The location. It's a beautiful area and it's only about 80 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD.
* It has everything you need.
* The surrounding regions are just as nice (e.g South Coast, Southern Highlands).

Least Favourite Things:

* It is really expensive to live in. The average house price in Wollongong is $850,000; the average for the state (NSW) is only $656,000. Also, the average rental price is $500 a week, meaning that it is $50 higher than the state average. Wollongong is actually the 3rd most expensive city in Australia. On average, it is more expensive to live here than it is to live in Melbourne and New York! :(
* The city doesn't live up to it's full potential. So much more could be done.
* Wollongong is under-represented in the professional sports leagues. We only have a basketball team (Illawarra Hawks) and our only other team is the St George-Illawarra Dragons in the NRL, which is a merged team and only plays four home matches in Wollongong each year.
* It can be hard to find work in the region. A lot of people travel up to Sydney for work.

Haha. Canada is a beautiful country and I would really like to go there one day. Not sure if I would move though. :P

Cool :) Wollongong does look like a nice place to live!
Although I wonder why Wollongong is such an expensive place to live, I mean it's not like it's the biggest metropolitan area in the world or has major land restrictions and also because like you said a lot of people have to travel up to sydney for work anyways ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/17 at 3:44 am

Regarding ^, I would love to visit Canada and New Zealand sometime.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/13/17 at 7:28 am

Cool :) Wollongong does look like a nice place to live!
Although I wonder why Wollongong is such an expensive place to live, I mean it's not like it's the biggest metropolitan area in the world or has major land restrictions and also because like you said a lot of people have to travel up to sydney for work anyways ???

It's only a city of roughly 300,000 people! I agree, it is pretty ridiculous how expensive Wollongong is. It's probably due to these things:

1. It's close to proximity to Sydney and the affordability. Sydney is actually the 2nd most expensive city in the world. The average house price is $1.15 million!  :o As a result, a lot of Sydneysiders move down to Wollongong, which pushes the house prices up down here. :(
2. There are some land restrictions. Most of the region is actually bordered by a mountain range to the west (the Illawarra Escarpment) and the Tasman Sea to the east.
3. The University of Wollongong is internationally recognised and thousands of students move (either from interstate or overseas) to study at the uni.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/26/17 at 4:15 am

Do you use different social media very often? Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat etc? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/26/17 at 4:16 am

Do you use different social media very often? Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat etc? ???

I only use Facebook. :) I have never been on Instagram or Snapchat before! :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/26/17 at 4:21 am

I only use Facebook. :) I have never been on Instagram or Snapchat before! :P

:o you've never used them before! I've used Instagram for like 5 years :-X.You should at least get snapchat lol :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/17 at 5:27 am

:o you've never used them before! I've used Instagram for like 5 years :-X.You should at least get snapchat lol :P
Do you find Messenger very useful for family contact?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/26/17 at 6:39 am

Do you find Messenger very useful for family contact?

If your talking about Facebook messenger then yes. However I mostly use regular text to contact my family and I mostly use facebook messenger to talk to my friends :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/26/17 at 7:19 am

Snapchat doesn't interest me, to be honest. :P

Written By: aja675 on 09/30/17 at 12:05 am

Have you ever heard of this restaurant chain? 'Cause my former classmate who is now in Australia is working in a branch of it: http://www.soulorigin.com.au

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/30/17 at 8:34 am

Have you ever heard of this restaurant chain? 'Cause my former classmate who is now in Australia is working in a branch of it: http://www.soulorigin.com.au

No I haven't, sorry. :(

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/30/17 at 8:49 am

I have a Snapchat. Do you want to add me on there? lol

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/03/17 at 10:03 pm

Have decided to leave this website for good. It was nice knowing you all

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/03/17 at 10:06 pm

Have decided to leave this website for good. It was nice knowing you all

Why? :\'(

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/02/18 at 6:59 pm

Why did you change your username from HazelBlue99 to SharksFan99?

Because I didn't like the other username.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/11/18 at 4:27 pm

What's it like graduating high school?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/11/18 at 5:40 pm

What's it like graduating high school?

It's like graduating from elementary school and middle school but a little more important and serious (I know that I'm not SharksFan99 but we're the same age).

Check for new replies or respond here...