inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tedious Links

Written By: theRealJimA on 06/10/04 at 2:52 pm

completely ripped off from BBC Radio 1 Dj Chris Moyles' show, this game involves linking two songs by various dubious facts and wordplay and suchlike. To show some examples I will borrow heavily from here:

Supergrass Richard III - Supergrass have now made a Best Of album and in that respect share something in common with Queen - Queen Latifah is now an actress and recently starred in a film alongside Steve Martin - Steve Martin’s filmography includes lead roles in Father Of The Bride, The Man With Two Brains and The Three Amigos - Amigos is a Spanish word meaning friends - Friends the TV series is to spawn a Joey based spin off series entitled Joey - A joey is a type of baby kangaroo - Baby kangaroos are carried around in their mothers pouch - The word “pouch” shares many of the same letters as the word “poach”, which is something that concerns chefs and gamekeepers - Gamekeepers tend to be big fans of wax jackets - Jackets can also be found on potatoes - Potatoes are grown across much of the UK, including England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland - Scotland is the birthplace of Lulu - and Lulu featured on Take That’s 1993 hit single Relight My Fire - Which links us to Take That and Lulu and Relight My Fire

Take That feat Lulu Relight My Fire - “Relight my fire” is what an annoyed barbecuer might say if some idiot had just spilt water all over his briquettes - Briquettes rhymes with crickets, which make a noise by rubbing their little insect legs together - If human legs rub together it tends to result in chafing - Chafing can be alleviated with the help of talcom powder - Talcom powder is white and therefore not a great thing to have in your hand luggage - “Luggage” is one of the few words in the English language that contain’s three G’s - Three G’s is what you might be pulling if you were an astronaut experiencing re entry - Re entry is prohibited in many nightclubs unless you have a stamp on your hand - Hand rhymes with rand, which is the currency of South Africa - South Africa are to host the World Cup after Germany - Germany is the birthplace of Boris Becker - Boris Becker recently got caught with his trousers down in the broom cupboard of the appropriately named “Nobu” restaurant - Nobu is a big favourite with celebs such as Ant and Dec, Kirsty Gallacher, The Chemical Brothers and Noel Gallagher - Which links us predictably to a record which features The Chemical Brothers and Noel Gallagher, it is the Chemical Brothers and Setting Sun

I don't expect anything as long as those though, but we start with:

Chemical Brothers and Setting Sun :)

Subject: Re: Tedious Links

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/17/05 at 3:21 pm

Oh yes! I just love to revive those old threads!

Chemical Brothers - Setting sun The sun sets in the west. If you travel westward, you also go west. Go West consists of Peter Cox and Richard Drummie. Leave the r out and you're stuck with a dummie. Dummies are used in crash tests, which also require a car. Cars come in different sizes, shapes and colours. Hey, there's a red car in the fountain. Some fountains are known to be pale, which brings us to: Pale Fountains - Thank you. (LOL)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/20/05 at 11:42 am

What are we looking for, Jim?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/05 at 11:46 am

completely ripped off from BBC Radio 1 Dj Chris Moyles' show, this game involves linking two songs by various dubious facts and wordplay and suchlike. To show some examples I will borrow heavily from here:

Supergrass Richard III - Supergrass have now made a Best Of album and in that respect share something in common with Queen - Queen Latifah is now an actress and recently starred in a film alongside Steve Martin - Steve Martin’s filmography includes lead roles in Father Of The Bride, The Man With Two Brains and The Three Amigos - Amigos is a Spanish word meaning friends - Friends the TV series is to spawn a Joey based spin off series entitled Joey - A joey is a type of baby kangaroo - Baby kangaroos are carried around in their mothers pouch - The word “pouch” shares many of the same letters as the word “poach”, which is something that concerns chefs and gamekeepers - Gamekeepers tend to be big fans of wax jackets - Jackets can also be found on potatoes - Potatoes are grown across much of the UK, including England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland - Scotland is the birthplace of Lulu - and Lulu featured on Take That’s 1993 hit single Relight My Fire - Which links us to Take That and Lulu and Relight My Fire

Take That feat Lulu Relight My Fire - “Relight my fire” is what an annoyed barbecuer might say if some idiot had just spilt water all over his briquettes - Briquettes rhymes with crickets, which make a noise by rubbing their little insect legs together - If human legs rub together it tends to result in chafing - Chafing can be alleviated with the help of talcom powder - Talcom powder is white and therefore not a great thing to have in your hand luggage - “Luggage” is one of the few words in the English language that contain’s three G’s - Three G’s is what you might be pulling if you were an astronaut experiencing re entry - Re entry is prohibited in many nightclubs unless you have a stamp on your hand - Hand rhymes with rand, which is the currency of South Africa - South Africa are to host the World Cup after Germany - Germany is the birthplace of Boris Becker - Boris Becker recently got caught with his trousers down in the broom cupboard of the appropriately named “Nobu” restaurant - Nobu is a big favourite with celebs such as Ant and Dec, Kirsty Gallacher, The Chemical Brothers and Noel Gallagher - Which links us predictably to a record which features The Chemical Brothers and Noel Gallagher, it is the Chemical Brothers and Setting Sun

I don't expect anything as long as those though, but we start with:

Chemical Brothers and Setting Sun :)

I do not find Lulu tedious

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/23/05 at 2:09 pm

What are we looking for, Jim?

*sighs* I don't think Jim even remembers STARTING this thread...

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/23/05 at 2:10 pm

Why did I ever bother to revive this one..? :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/05 at 2:12 pm

Why did I ever bother to revive this one..? :-\\
It looks too complicated for me

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/23/05 at 2:13 pm

It looks too complicated for me

Too complicated for ANYONE, I guess.. :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/24/05 at 4:44 pm

Pale Fountains - Thank you Sorry, Faulty, but I could not find any links with articles about that album. Maybe you should try another album that non-Euros are familiar with, like Points on a Curve by Wang Chung ;D

Chemical Brothers - Setting sun The sun sets in the west. If you travel westward, you also go west. Go West consists of Peter Cox and Richard Drummie. Leave the r out and you're stuck with a dummie. Dummies are used in crash tests, which also require a car. Cars come in different sizes, shapes and colours. Hey, there's a red car in the fountain. Some fountains are known to be pale, which brings us to: Pale Fountains - Thank you. (LOL)

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/25/05 at 3:51 pm

Pale Fountains - Thank you Sorry, Faulty, but I could not find any links with articles about that album. Maybe you should try another album that non-Euros are familiar with, like Points on a Curve by Wang Chung ;D

huh? ??? 

Not quite sure how to react... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/05 at 3:53 pm

huh? ??? 

Not quite sure how to react... :-\\
I am still confused.

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/25/05 at 3:57 pm

I am still confused.

No wonder! I think everybody's confused nowadays because of the Blah-ness of things... ???

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 9:10 am

So what is the point in all this? :-\\
No wonder! I think everybody's confused nowadays because of the Blah-ness of things... ???

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/26/05 at 1:50 pm

So what is the point in all this? :-\\

You got a point there...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/05 at 1:57 pm

It is rude to point!

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/26/05 at 2:13 pm

It is rude to point!

...Point taken. :-[

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 5:05 pm

If it's so rude to point, then Uncle Sam must be the rudest guy of all. ;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/26/05 at 5:10 pm

I agree with you on that point.  :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 5:16 pm

Maybe we should call this "The Pointing Thread" and move it to PPP. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/05 at 8:17 am

Maybe we should call this "The Pointing Thread" and move it to PPP. ;)
Now that is a good point.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/05 at 10:31 am

Then again, one would have to point out the way to the thread. :D

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/28/05 at 4:29 am

It's not an album, it's an old fashioned 7" single:

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/28/05 at 10:01 am

Maybe that should've been pointed out sooner. (Sorry, Philip! :-\\)
It's not an album, it's an old fashioned 7" single:

Written By: theRealJimA on 08/06/05 at 3:20 pm

christ  ::)

Thank You was a hit for Dido, who was sampled by rap artist Eminem Eminem sounds like a popular chocolate sweet in the Uk, that contains nuts. Nuts are used to keep wheels on cars. The Cars were a popular group who had a song called My Best Friends Girl, off their album called "the cars". Cars are often used on motorways, which in Germany are called Autobahns, Autobahn is the title of a Kraftwerk album, and Kraftwerk did the song The Model.

Haven't  you ever listened to radio 1?

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/09/05 at 6:01 pm

The Models' one-hit was called "Out of Mind, Out of Sight". "Sight Unseen" was recorded by Petra, whose definition means "rock". "Rock and Roll, Part 2" is a famous Gary Glitter song played in major basketball arenas during the NBA playoffs. "Playoffs!???", yelled Jim Mora Sr. when ask by the if the Colts were going there. "There, There" was the last hit by Radiohead. Head job in US still belongs to GW Bush, which brings us to Bush-Sixteen Stone.

(I hope that is correct.) :-\\ 

Check for new replies or respond here...