inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sniglets

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/18/05 at 3:15 am

Anyone remember Sniglets? It was a book written in the 80's where words were made up to sort of go with a goofy or unnamed meaning. Here's an example of one of my own:

Fabby - Something that is super fabulous

(okay, that wasn't all that inventive, but I am sure many of you can come up with some hilarious made up words and defintions)

Now, if this sort of game has already had a go around - then just disregard this message. I'm just not about to go through pages of threads to find out... lol.

Subject: Re: Sniglets

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/05 at 7:39 am

Baldage -The accumulation of hair in the drain after showering.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 7:43 am

Anyone remember Sniglets? It was a book written in the 80's where words were made up to sort of go with a goofy or unnamed meaning.

Yay! Someone else remembers this book!

One of my favourite Sniglets

Elbotics: the art of manouvring your arms so that you can use both armrests in the cinema seat.

The Meaning of Liff by John Cleese and another is a similar idea

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/05 at 7:49 am

I have just located my copy of The Meaning of Liff , published by Pan and Faber & Faber in 1983, first edition and slightly faded.

The other was Douglas Adams the creator of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, but was writen with John Lloyd, who went on to produce Spitting Image.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 8:04 am

I have just located my copy of The Meaning of Liff , published by Pan and Faber & Faber in 1983, first edition and slightly faded.

The other was Douglas Adams the creator of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, but was writen with John Lloyd, who went on to produce Spitting Image.

And you've just reminded me that I had a copy here at work!!

Anyway on with the game.

Essoasso: someone who drives through a petrol station to avoid a red light

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/05 at 9:01 am

Is Rich Hall the author of Sniglets, the same that has made it big over here in the UK now, with constant appearances on comedy TV shows?

Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 9:05 am

Is Rich Hall the author of Sniglets, the same that has made it big over here in the UK now, with constant appearances on comedy TV shows?

Apparently so

Kawashocki: pulling into the last parking space only to find a motorbike parked there

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/09/05 at 3:03 am

^ good one, Karen  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/05 at 3:06 am

"baldage"??? that made me laugh

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/05 at 12:05 pm

Pretzaline ~ The salt deposit at the bottom of a bag of pretzels.

Written By: Skippy on 12/09/05 at 9:40 pm

Pupkus (pup' kus) - n. The moist residue left on a window after a dog presses its nose to it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 3:06 am

Carcreak - n. Those crackling, tinkling, creaky noises your car makes after you park and turn it off.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/10/05 at 1:49 pm

faxcination-n.- staring intently at the fax machine because you're waiting for a fax to come through.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/05 at 5:12 pm

Gigglelite - adj. - someone who laughs uncontrollably

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/10/05 at 5:40 pm

I have this book (but it's at my Mom's place).  I remember in Middle School when this came out we had to make up our own Sniglets and I remember the one I made.

Stickglue - n: The sticky stuff on the backs of stamps and envelope that you have to lick to make it stick. 

Written By: Skippy on 12/11/05 at 12:38 am

Accordionated (ah kor' de on ay tid) - adj. Being able to drive and refold a road map at the same time.

Written By: Skippy on 12/11/05 at 4:44 am

Arachnidiot (ar ak ni' di ot) - n. A person, who, having wandered into an "invisible" spider web, begins gyrating and flailing about wildly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 4:58 am

Zipcuffed (zip' cuft) - v. To be trapped in one's trousers by a faulty zipper.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/11/05 at 2:33 pm

Arachnidiot (ar ak ni' di ot) - n. A person, who, having wandered into an "invisible" spider web, begins gyrating and flailing about wildly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 3:11 am

Spot the similarity?

Aeroma (ayr oh' ma) - n. The odor emanating from an exercise room after an aerobics workout.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/12/05 at 2:02 pm

Elbonics - n. The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theater.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 2:14 am

Yay! Someone else remembers this book!

One of my favourite Sniglets

Elbotics: the art of manouvring your arms so that you can use both armrests in the cinema seat.

Elbonics - n. The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theater.

A slight case of repetition.

Aquadextrous - adj. Possessing the ability to turn the bathtub faucet on and off with your toes.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/13/05 at 5:49 pm

Questfallen - reaction to the realization that your MapQuest directions have failed you.

Nobody posted it yet. I looked. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/05 at 4:26 am

Questfallen - reaction to the realization that your MapQuest directions have failed you.

Nobody posted it yet. I looked. ::)
I think you are safe.

Animalanche: When you kick your stuffed animals in your sleep and they fall all over you or the floor. 

Written By: karen on 12/14/05 at 10:10 am

mummabolic chorus a group of guys in a bar singing along to a song from the jukebox only to find none of them knows the words

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/05 at 10:11 am

;D^

Bovilexia (bo vil eks' e uh) - n. The uncontrollable urge to lean out the car window and yell "Moo!" every time you pass a cow.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/14/05 at 5:16 pm

Cheedle: The orange residue left on fingers after eating Cheetos or some other cheesy snack.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 8:32 am

Exaspirin (eks as' prin) - n. Any bottle of pain reliever with an impossible-to-remove cotton wad at the top.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/30/05 at 6:30 pm

Agonosis (ag u no' sis) n.
The syndrome of tuning into "Wide World of Sports" every Saturday just to watch the skier rack himself.

Check for new replies or respond here...