inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP! My Computer SUCKS!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 5:27 pm

First, I was using Internet Explorer last week and suddenly an add for GAIN advertising popped up...I got rid of it, or so I though, when another window opended that was titles search bar....AND Exlplorer opens to a page called Martfinder.com....It refuses to let me reset the page.  Now I can't uninstall Explorer...SO I downloaded Netscape.  That works alright except when I try to google it takes me to yet another GAIN ad. I also can't run Maintenance Wizard or Scan disc (Thorough)....I have no way to re-install windows since I loaned the disc to a friend....for now.  HELP!! :-[

Subject: Re: HELP! My Computer SUCKS!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/08/04 at 6:25 pm

Mark

You could try seeing if you can eliminate them via Sart > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs ?

Depends on (a) whether they are in there, and (b) even if they are, it doesn't always work

But it's worth a try

FB  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/08/04 at 6:39 pm

Make sure you use a Pop-Up stopper!  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/08/04 at 7:52 pm

sounds like scumware/adware... look for a program by lavasoft called adaware... it will remove it from your machine (maybe)

Written By: gemini61 on 05/08/04 at 8:12 pm

sounds like scumware/adware... look for a program by lavasoft called adaware... it will remove it from your machine (maybe)
Thats what worked for me. Had the same problem, so I downloaded adaware and removed tons of spyware/adware. Now it's working great! I run it about once a week and can't believe all the stuff thats right back on there again!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 10:30 pm

Mark

You could try seeing if you can eliminate them via Sart > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs ?

Depends on (a) whether they are in there, and (b) even if they are, it doesn't always work

But it's worth a try

FB  :)
Tried it..... :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 10:34 pm

Had that :-[

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 10:36 pm

I have that and will try again....otherwise Chucky, what if I get my operating system disc back and try re-installing windows ME ???

Written By: Howard on 05/09/04 at 11:55 am

Try re-installing Windows ME and see what happens. ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/09/04 at 11:56 am

always have a popup stopper available for spy and adaware! :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/04 at 9:47 am

Try re-installing Windows ME and see what happens. ;)

Howard
I will try that as soon as I get my CD back...thanks, Howard ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/04 at 9:48 am

always have a popup stopper available for spy and adaware! :)

Howard
I have ad-awarw but apparently it failed me this time,,,, :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/10/04 at 8:36 pm

I will try that as soon as I get my CD back...thanks, Howard ;)

You're very welcome! ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/10/04 at 8:36 pm

I have ad-awarw but apparently it failed me this time,,,, :-\\

Sorry to hear that,man! :(

Howard

Written By: maddog on 05/26/04 at 11:18 am

Hey Mark, it sounds like your browser has been hijacked by this rogue adware.

I have found the HijackThis utility useful in eliminating similar problems on my PC - it's available to download for free from the website

www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

When you run the utility, it will probably spot a Windows Registry entry referencing the "martfinder.com" URL.
You can then get the Hijackthis utility to fix this registry entry for you and your IE browser should be returned to normal.
There may however be other steps that you need to take - let me know how you get on.

I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on this type of problem and how best to resolve them.
I'm not an expert but I've hacked my way through some problems like this.
I'm cautious about even recommending "HijackThis" because for all I know it could be loading hidden trojans onto my PC!!!
(although it seems to be reputable and on the level).

Netscape appears to be much less vulnerable to these sort of attacks, presumably because less people use it.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/04 at 4:35 pm

Hey Mark, it sounds like your browser has been hijacked by this rogue adware.

I have found the HijackThis utility useful in eliminating similar problems on my PC - it's available to download for free from the website

www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

When you run the utility, it will probably spot a Windows Registry entry referencing the "martfinder.com" URL.
You can then get the Hijackthis utility to fix this registry entry for you and your IE browser should be returned to normal.
There may however be other steps that you need to take - let me know how you get on.

I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on this type of problem and how best to resolve them.
I'm not an expert but I've hacked my way through some problems like this.
I'm cautious about even recommending "HijackThis" because for all I know it could be loading hidden trojans onto my PC!!!
(although it seems to be reputable and on the level).

Netscape appears to be much less vulnerable to these sort of attacks, presumably because less people use it.

What is Merjin? ???

Howard

Written By: maddog on 05/27/04 at 4:48 am

What is Merjin? ???

Howard

Hi Howard - Merijn is the name of the Dutch guy who wrote and distributes the utility called HijackThis.

As I said before, I can't personally vouch for Merijn or his utility, all I can say is that I've used HijackThis to sort out a problem similar to Mark's, i.e. my Internet Explorer home page was getting reset to some search engine I didn't want. I haven't had any follow on problems
resulting from the use of HijackThis (touch wood!).

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 4:51 pm

Hi Howard - Merijn is the name of the Dutch guy who wrote and distributes the utility called HijackThis.

As I said before, I can't personally vouch for Merijn or his utility, all I can say is that I've used HijackThis to sort out a problem similar to Mark's, i.e. my Internet Explorer home page was getting reset to some search engine I didn't want. I haven't had any follow on problems
resulting from the use of HijackThis (touch wood!).

What does it do exactly?  ???

Howard

Written By: maddog on 05/27/04 at 5:11 pm

What does it do exactly?  ???

Howard

Howard, rather than try to explain it here, I'd suggest that you follow the URL link I posted above to the HijackThis website.
This has a full description of what the utility does and how to use it.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 5:14 pm

Howard, rather than try to explain it here, I'd suggest that you follow the URL link I posted above to the HijackThis website.
This has a full description of what the utility does and how to use it.

Ok,Thanks MaDDog! :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...