inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No User Name on Post

Written By: zcrito on 06/05/04 at 3:30 pm

Question:
How do you post a message on this message board without first logging in?

For example, take of look at the last post at

http://inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,961.0

user name = ... ?
???

Thanks.
;) ;D

Subject: Re: No User Name on Post

Written By: ... on 06/05/04 at 3:41 pm

Hmmm...it looks like you don't have to be logged in to reply to a post.  ???

I didn't know that.  :o

(it's me, zcrito.  :-\\ )

Written By: mrgazpacho on 06/05/04 at 8:58 pm

Yeah at one stage Chucky disabled guest posting but it's been left enabled so far on the new boards. If it's not abused too much, it should be OK :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/06/04 at 12:30 am

Yeah at one stage Chucky disabled guest posting but it's been left enabled so far on the new boards. If it's not abused too much, it should be OK :)

that is correct...

a couple times in the past, people who were registered users, would log out to post messages that they knew were inappropriate, or try to instigate people into arguments, etc.  When it became too much to deal with, I disabled guest posting.  Usually I end up turning it back on after a month or two, but past performance is no guarantee of future performances.

Almost every forum I see now, requires people to sign up to post now.  I hate that myself.  It discourages people who might normally post a message (since you need to validate your account via email, which is never reliable). Also, some people are on corporate networks with overly strict policies about access, which may prevent them from posting while logged in. A board that can't encourage new people to leave messages, is really very little fun and not going to remain interesting (you end up with a system where the same ten people are talking to one another, snooze-ville daddy-o).

Written By: Howard on 06/06/04 at 1:46 pm

Well,thing is people wanna know who they're talking to.It's better that way. :)

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 06/06/04 at 3:16 pm

Allowing non registered users to post messages is very friendly and easy way to encourage posts. There's another site (onehitwondercentral.com) that I post at and it was the first site I ever saw that didn't require a login ID to post a message. It encourages anyone with an answer to go ahead and post. All it takes to start a message post is a couple of mouse clicks.

The draw back for non registered user posts is that you never get credit or stats on your work. This site has stats on all login IDs. Some people like the stats. You can take a look at the "replies" and "views" counts for all groups and see which login ID has generated the most.

;) ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...