inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any lost entries to pages now being newly updated?

Written By: Rhonda on 08/03/04 at 8:05 pm

Within the last year or so, I'm sure I have submitted entries to "Song Parody Fragments" and at least two of the "Real Lyrics" categories. That was while those pages were in a long period of inactivity. Recently they have started being updated again, but there is no sign of any entries I posted. Could this be because there is still a long backlog of entries in those categories? Or could some entries have been lost during the time of inactivity and/or site crashes, so that I would need to resubmit them? Thanks for any clarification you can give on this matter.

Subject: Re: Any lost entries to pages now being newly updated?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/03/04 at 9:19 pm

Within the last year or so, I'm sure I have submitted entries to "Song Parody Fragments" and at least two of the "Real Lyrics" categories. That was while those pages were in a long period of inactivity. Recently they have started being updated again, but there is no sign of any entries I posted. Could this be because there is still a long backlog of entries in those categories? Or could some entries have been lost during the time of inactivity and/or site crashes, so that I would need to resubmit them? Thanks for any clarification you can give on this matter.

backlog.  the parody fragments will probably get up to date first (only 100 or so backlogged items) the other real lyrics categories have anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 items awaiting validation, so no idea when they'll be caught back up.  It is possible something could get lost or not approved, but chances are that someone is just not to the point where they've read it yet.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/09/04 at 9:35 pm

Hi Rhonda

I edit the Parody Song Fragments now.  There was a bit of a backlog when I started, and I had to disallow some submissions which were inappropriate. 

I don’t remember your name though (assuming you submitted under Rhonda).  Why don’t you try re-submitting again ?  :)

Written By: Rhonda on 08/15/04 at 2:26 am

Thank you for your reply, Peregrin. Since I first wrote my message above, several things that I and my friends were looking for among Parody Fragments and the various "real lyrics" pages have since been posted, so some of them clearly were not lost. I thought I made at least one sumbission to Parody fragments during the months before this summer when those pages were being rarely updated if at all. But I guess I could be mistaken. If I did it probably wasn't under my real name, as I have used some nicknames. I've used my real name mainly for misheard lyrics and songs for duets that haven't been done yet. I'm not sure just why those are the main categories where I've used my real name; it just sort of happened that way. I wonder if you can clarify one thing. You refered to some parody fragments as not being posted because they were "inappropriate". I'm wondering what all can go into making an entry "inappropriate" for that purpose. One friend of mine  says she has submitted at least two parody fragments that never showed up, and had nothing that anyone would deem offensive. The only reason she can guess why they weren't posted is that someone might have thought them just not funny enough. The same might apply to some of my possible entries. So I was wondering if being judged simply not funny enough (while totally innoffensive) might contribute to an entry being omitted. Thank you.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/15/04 at 8:55 am

Thank you for your reply, Peregrin. Since I first wrote my message above, several things that I and my friends were looking for among Parody Fragments and the various "real lyrics" pages have since been posted, so some of them clearly were not lost. I thought I made at least one sumbission to Parody fragments during the months before this summer when those pages were being rarely updated if at all. But I guess I could be mistaken. If I did it probably wasn't under my real name, as I have used some nicknames. I've used my real name mainly for misheard lyrics and songs for duets that haven't been done yet. I'm not sure just why those are the main categories where I've used my real name; it just sort of happened that way. I wonder if you can clarify one thing. You refered to some parody fragments as not being posted because they were "inappropriate". I'm wondering what all can go into making an entry "inappropriate" for that purpose. One friend of mine  says she has submitted at least two parody fragments that never showed up, and had nothing that anyone would deem offensive. The only reason she can guess why they weren't posted is that someone might have thought them just not funny enough. The same might apply to some of my possible entries. So I was wondering if being judged simply not funny enough (while totally innoffensive) might contribute to an entry being omitted. Thank you.

For parody fragments, "funny enough" isn't a requisite.  Offensive means sexual topics, or topics that advocate violence towards people, or outwardly racist. On New Band Names, and a couple of the other topics though I have told a couple of editors that they should make sure the entries are humorous (otherwise there's little point to posting them).

If you didn't include the original lyrics with the new ones on the fragments page (the only page on the site that requires it) they may not have been posted.  I'd say just try again.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/18/04 at 8:36 am

To add to what Chuck has said :

Of the ones I have not allowed so far, most are either sexually explicit or contain swearing or racial insults.

Other reasons why I have have not approved include where two or more contributors are obviously involved in some sort of 'discussion' via parody fragments.  Unfortunately, the parody fragments they submit are of a personal nature and have no relevance to anyone else who would ever read them...

But as Chuck said, lack of humor is not a reason within itself.  Who am I to judge what is funny anyway?  :)

I have also not allowed one or two because the writers sort of lost the concept of 'fragment' (small part).  When something is ten verses long it ceases to be a fragment some time back!  ::) :P

Check for new replies or respond here...