inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Randomly disappearing avatars?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/05 at 12:10 pm

Has anyone else been noticing that sometimes, only certain avatars are visible?  In the past few days, I'll be on one page that is fine, then on the next, only 1 or 2 avatars show up (even though it's the same people on both threads), sometimes, there are none ???

Subject: Re: Randomly disappearing avatars?

Written By: nally on 04/06/05 at 1:22 pm

Has anyone else been noticing that sometimes, only certain avatars are visible?  In the past few days, I'll be on one page that is fine, then on the next, only 1 or 2 avatars show up (even though it's the same people on both threads), sometimes, there are none ???

Maybe they take a few moments to load. :-\\ I've noticed that sometimes mine doesn't appear right away, but the status bar will say "xx number of items remaining (Downloading picture http//whatever.gif...)" and then after a few seconds, things are there.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/05 at 3:54 pm

Nally,I've been getting that sometimes.Don't know what causes it but I'm guessing a slow load up. ???

Written By: gemini61 on 04/06/05 at 7:06 pm

Yes, I noticed it yesterday. But it was with sig line pics. I kept seeing alot of red X's.  :-\\

Written By: whitewolf on 04/06/05 at 10:47 pm

Yes, I noticed it yesterday. But it was with sig line pics. I kept seeing alot of red X's.  :-\\

I noticed this too, some sig lines are not there. only the Xs

Written By: nally on 04/07/05 at 11:15 am

No, the bottom says "Done", but they're not there, not even red X's ???  Just noticed right now that neither Gemini or Howard has an avatar on my window.  Yours, however, is fine ???

That's weird then. :-\\ If there's no little red X's (like some people's avatars sometimes show), then I don't know what it could be. :-[ ???

Written By: Howard on 04/07/05 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, now I can see yours and mine, but not whitewolf's and still not Howard's and Gemini's ???

It could be that it takes a long time for it to load up. ???

Written By: Howard on 04/07/05 at 1:30 pm

No, the bottom says "Done", but they're not there, not even red X's ???  Just noticed right now that neither Gemini or Howard has an avatar on my window.  Yours, however, is fine ???

are you sure it's not anything else that's causing this? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/08/05 at 1:50 pm

No, that's why I posted this.  On some threads, I can see everyone's, but not on others. 

Then,I don't know what to tell you. ;D
That's really strange.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/19/05 at 8:00 am

Chucky, any idea on this?  More and more are disappearing :(

You are useing Firefox aren't you.

I am as well, but i update mine whenever it tells me i need to.

Maybe you need to download an update???

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/19/05 at 1:27 pm

there is a setting called a "time out" setting.  If you're on a slow connection, and there's a lot of pictures, what will happen is that the pictures that aren't downloaded after minute, the browser will give up.

I generally read the messages instead of people's pictures, but I guess it's an asthetic thing.  If it's preventing the pages from loading properly, I believe your profile allows you the option to hide avatars.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/19/05 at 3:41 pm

Not right now....it's IE....maybe I should switch to Firefox and see if that helps...

*Plumber Voice*

Ah, there's your problem. Your running IE..  ::)

You have a Cable modem don't you, so i assume it isn't a time out thing.

I'll bet it's IE, the reason i made the jump was because my IE just started doing weird things, it works fine now, but i guarentee in a month or two, when i accidentally open it.. it won't work. Then a month later it will be fine, friggin Microsoft.

Hail Firefox!!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 8:35 am

They're gone on Firefox too :(  Heck, I can't even see MINE and you worked for a whole 8 minutes on it  :\'(

Hmmm.. have you installed any new programs recently?

Written By: karen on 04/21/05 at 8:41 am

I haven't had aproblem seeing anyones avatar.  I run IE but over a work network so quite good connection speed I think.

Earlier I could see crazymom's but now I can't, just the red x

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 8:42 am

I haven't had aproblem seeing anyones avatar.  I run IE but over a work network so quite good connection speed I think.

Earlier I could see crazymom's but now I can't, just the red x

Hmmm, i can see it still.

Check for new replies or respond here...