inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SMF

Written By: robby76 on 12/12/05 at 8:32 am

Recently I've been getting an error message saying the SMF server is busy and try again later? What is SMF and is the server really busy?

Subject: Re: SMF

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 8:43 am

Recently I've been getting an error message saying the SMF server is busy and try again later? What is SMF and is the server really busy?
Just now it occured for me and it is the fourth time I have seen it now.

I have seen similar messages on different boards.

SMF is the server provider.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/12/05 at 10:20 am

SMF is the software that runs the board.

The newer version has settings to prevent the site from crashing, and it will cut back the number of people who can be at once.  I think it's set a little too low at the moment, so I'm going to see what I can set it to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 10:27 am

SMF is the software that runs the board.

The newer version has settings to prevent the site from crashing, and it will cut back the number of people who can be at once.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/12/05 at 10:31 am

I noticed there was a setting limiting the maximum amount of users during a databaase optimiztation.  Not sure when that is supposed to take place, but it's only supposed to happen once a week.  Are people seeing this more than once a week?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 10:36 am

I noticed there was a setting limiting the maximum amount of users during a databaase optimiztation.

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 1:33 pm

I've been getting that message a lot lately. I remember it was doing that back in May 2004.

Whenever it comes up, I am never sure as to how long the problem will persist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 1:36 pm

I've been getting that message a lot lately. I remember it was doing that back in May 2004.

Whenever it comes up, I am never sure as to how long the problem will persist.
I go and make a cup of tea and come back and see if it is up and running agian.

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 1:41 pm

I go and make a cup of tea and come back and see if it is up and running agian.

The last couple times I experienced it, it lasted only an hour or so. One time it happened two weeks ago, I emailed Chucky about it and by the time he answered my email, I was already aware that it had been back up and running.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 1:45 pm

The last couple times I experienced it, it lasted only an hour or so. One time it happened two weeks ago, I emailed Chucky about it and by the time he answered my email, I was already aware that it had been back up and running.
It happened just last week, can you remember which day?

We should keep a log for future reference.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/05 at 1:50 pm

It happened just last week, can you remember which day?

We should keep a log for future reference.

It happened last night (about 8:30 local). Didn't stick around to see how long it lasted.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/05 at 10:05 am

For fear of repeting myself, please read ^ only it was about 7:15 or so.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 10:08 am

For me, it has been fine today sofar, touch wood!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/05 at 2:55 pm

Just happened again.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Written By: nally on 12/19/05 at 3:17 pm

I just noticed that. It must've been for like a few minutes or so. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/05 at 3:55 pm

I just noticed that. It must've been for like a few minutes or so. :-\\
It seemed like 20 minutes offline.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/19/05 at 4:09 pm

It seemed like 20 minutes offline.

That was what I got... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 5:06 pm

Not too sure how long it was down for. I just know that it was down.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 10:59 pm

I don't seem to be seeing these errors.  I kind of feel left out  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/05 at 2:25 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/05 at 5:56 pm

It just went out for a few minutes.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/28/05 at 5:59 pm

Cat

yeah, I was trying to log in and see what was causing it, but it fixed itself by the time I did.  One of these days I'll catch it in the act.

Written By: nally on 12/28/05 at 11:07 pm

Cat
Guess I didn't miss anything then. At the time it happened, I guess I was on the way home from Palm Springs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/06 at 7:20 am

Guess I didn't miss anything then. At the time it happened, I guess I was on the way home from Palm Springs.
I had to sit and wait!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/06 at 3:51 pm

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

It has happened again!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/06 at 4:18 pm

Connection Problems

It has happened again!

I know, it did it while I was at work.  It's the MySQL server... so I have to figure out what's causing the issues with it.

Written By: nally on 01/17/06 at 11:27 pm

Hope ya figure out soon, Chuck...there was an episode of it earlier today (Tuesday). :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/06 at 11:45 pm

I was getting those SMF errors a little while ago.  Couldn't get into the forum for almost a half hour  :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/17/06 at 11:52 pm

Hmm...maybe there were two waves of it earlier. I just know that I was on about six hours ago and the SMF message came up. And I tried again one hour ago, still no luck. I guess it was just fine in between.

If there's ever a time when I can't get to it, I sometimes post a message on this amiright.com comment thread:

http://www.amiright.com/newsitems/items/newsitem_1098835730.shtml

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/06 at 4:24 pm

Connection Problems

It happened again about an hour ago.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/06 at 6:26 pm

It happened last night and tonight (I think about the same time).  It just came back up.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 01/18/06 at 8:31 pm

I seem to be getting this error at least once everyday.  I know it's happened twice today.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/06 at 8:47 pm

I get it about 2-3 times every day  :\'(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/18/06 at 9:46 pm

Connection Problems

It happened again about an hour ago.
Do you think server overloading is what's causing it?  ???

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/19/06 at 2:23 pm

It just happened again!

It seems it's starting to occur with more frequency... :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/06 at 3:19 pm

I just found a bug with a template, related to some changes from the arcade addition.  Not sure if that was the problem, but it's possible.  It was filling my error log with a message every time someone clicked on any link on any part of the site.  The log was HUGE!  So it might have been choking the database a bit.

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/06 at 3:30 pm

I just found a bug with a template, related to some changes from the arcade addition.  Not sure if that was the problem, but it's possible.  It was filling my error log with a message every time someone clicked on any link on any part of the site.  The log was HUGE!  So it might have been choking the database a bit.

Does this mean no more arcade?  :\'(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/06 at 5:23 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 12:30 pm

Thanks, Chucky. You're the best.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 3:02 pm

I guess you didn't get is, Chucky. It happened again.  :(

I know you are trying.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 7:05 pm

Twice in one day! AUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Hey Chucky, does it help you for us to tell you when it happens or not?

Cat

Written By: gemini on 01/20/06 at 7:11 pm

Connection Problems

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 2:09 am

^ Yes, that's the same message we get all the time. >:(

So that's what's causing all this garbag

Written By: Guest on 01/24/06 at 1:17 pm

Hmm...maybe there were two waves of it earlier. I just know that I was on about six hours ago and the SMF message came up. And I tried again one hour ago, still no luck. I guess it was just fine in between.

If there's ever a time when I can't get to it, I sometimes post a message on this amiright.com comment thread:

http://www.amiright.com/newsitems/items/newsitem_1098835730.shtml

That comment thread's been around since October of 2004...I guess there was a problem with it then or something?

Well, I bet it's a good place to post comments regarding SMF errors if we can't post 'em here on the messageboard.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/06 at 3:53 pm

yup, down again.  for about an hour I think. 

I might have some new ideas to try out tonight.  Definitely getting worse

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/26/06 at 10:20 am

In case you missed the threads on the other system stuff boards, I did an upgrade last night which I think will put this problem out to pasture once and for all.

I found a monitoring tool for server load and have been checking it every hour or so for the past two days.  Before I upgraded MySQL (database the messageboard needs to work), the CPU was near 100% utilization constantly. Right now it's around 20% with a few dozen people on the site and I haven't seen it higher than 30% even at the busiest.

There's still more tweaking to improve performance I can do, plenty of things I haven't tried, etc.  So definitely leave a message here letting me know what time you see the message (if you see it again).  Make sure you mention the time zone you're in too if you mention the time.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/26/06 at 1:17 pm

guess I have more work to do... just crashed for 20 minutes again.  ugh, I'm getting frustrated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/06 at 1:22 pm

guess I have more work to do... just crashed for 20 minutes again.  ugh, I'm getting frustrated.
Frustrating indeed, I continue with some Spreadsheet work.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/26/06 at 1:32 pm

It might be related to the search function. I just noticed it was left to unlimited results, which if someone searched for something ridiculous might cause a problem.  I'm changing some options on the search now, and limiting a few things, builiding a word index, etc.

Written By: nally on 01/26/06 at 1:45 pm

It might be related to the search function. I just noticed it was left to unlimited results, which if someone searched for something ridiculous might cause a problem.  I'm changing some options on the search now, and limiting a few things, builiding a word index, etc.

I notice that the search function is taking a while now, too. Probably because there's so many posts to search through now! In the beginning, I remember that it ran rather quickly. Now that there are over 700,000 posts here, maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno. :-\\

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/02/06 at 9:54 pm

just couldn't access the site at 1130 atlantic time..not SMF but can't find server..first time in days but still a drag  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/06 at 9:59 pm

just couldn't access the site at 1130 atlantic time..not SMF but can't find server..first time in days but still a drag  :-\\

I just had the same problem.  Last night, I got those SMF errors.  couldn't log into the site for well over 1 hour.  By the time I could, the site was loading really slow, then I got SMF again, so I just gave up trying 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/06 at 6:56 pm

It just happened again. I thought this problem was fixed. I was about to post a high score on an arcade game-luckily I noticed the board was down before doing that.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 03/31/06 at 3:02 pm

I got the SMF Connection Problems at approx. 2:48pm Central time today.
I'm in now though! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/06 at 3:03 pm

I got the SMF Connection Problems at approx. 2:48pm Central time today.
I'm in now though! ;)
Was that about 15 minutes ago?

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/06 at 4:45 pm

I just got the SMF error around that time.  I think SMF stands for Stupid Mother Effing Error >:(

Written By: nally on 03/31/06 at 6:41 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tam on 06/01/06 at 4:29 pm

I received the SMF error twice today.

Once around 1:30 and just a few minutes ago at 4:18pm. Both Central time.

Also, the flashchat was affected taking about 60 to 90 seconds to post.

This is who was online:
52 Guests, 20 Users, 3 Users in Chat (4 Buddies, 3 Hidden)
Users active in past 5 minutes:
Bobby, Donnie Darko, Meat!, Tam, Philip Eno, Brian06, MidTennHitman, ♫ Sister Morphine ♫, Paul, CeramicsFanatic, Howard, woops, sonikuu, Tubeway General, STG, Henk, James

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/06 at 4:45 pm

I received the SMF error twice today.

Once around 1:30 and just a few minutes ago at 4:18pm. Both Central time.

Also, the flashchat was affected taking about 60 to 90 seconds to post.

This is who was online:
52 Guests, 20 Users, 3 Users in Chat (4 Buddies, 3 Hidden)
Users active in past 5 minutes:
Bobby, Donnie Darko, Meat!, Tam, Philip Eno, Brian06, MidTennHitman, ♫ Sister Morphine ♫, Paul, CeramicsFanatic, Howard, woops, sonikuu, Tubeway General, STG, Henk, James

For me the boards went all slow, taking a long time to load up, but I did not see the message.

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/06 at 7:25 pm

For me the boards went all slow, taking a long time to load up, but I did not see the message.

I never saw the message either, but I was waiting for it.  The boards were real slow though.  I didn't refresh that often, so maybe is why i never saw  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/06 at 8:40 pm

I've been updating the archives, and finishing up the cleanup work involved with it, which might be the reason.  Both times you mentioned were around when I was doing it

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 12:41 am

I never saw the message either, but I was waiting for it.  The boards were real slow though.  I didn't refresh that often, so maybe is why i never saw  :-\\
I went off to make tea and the board was still the same.

I've been updating the archives, and finishing up the cleanup work involved with it, which might be the reason.  Both times you mentioned were around when I was doing it
Thank you.

Written By: Tam on 06/02/06 at 5:16 pm

Why does it seems that this is only happening to me?? LOL

I got the SMF yet again today at 5:10pm Central time and I also got this error from the FlashChat

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/httpd/vhosts/inthe00s.com/httpdocs/flashchat/chat/inc/classes/db.php on line 15

Bizarre! ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 5:54 pm

Why does it seems that this is only happening to me?? LOL

I got the SMF yet again today at 5:10pm Central time and I also got this error from the FlashChat

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/httpd/vhosts/inthe00s.com/httpdocs/flashchat/chat/inc/classes/db.php on line 15

Bizarre! ???
I had it all earlier.

Written By: Tam on 09/06/06 at 5:15 pm

I got the SMF error again right now.

Central time  5:02pm - 5:13pm

Also, another attempt provided me with this error message:

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/httpd/vhosts/inthe00s.com/httpdocs/flashchat/chat/inc/classes/db.php on line 15

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/httpd/vhosts/inthe00s.com/httpdocs/flashchat/chat/usersInChat.php on line 73"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/06/06 at 5:27 pm

This is what I keep getting:

Connection Problems

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/06 at 2:43 am

This is what I keep getting:

Connection Problems

Busy?

Written By: Tam on 02/10/07 at 1:24 pm

Temporarily Unavailable
The forum is unavailable due to high stress on the server

and then:

SMF Error!!

Started around 12:59pm CST.
I just got back in at 1:24pm CST

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/07 at 1:29 pm

Temporarily Unavailable
The forum is unavailable due to high stress on the server

and then:

SMF Error!!

Started around 12:59pm CST.
I just got back in at 1:24pm CST

it appears a spammer is using one of my domains as the "bounce" address in their spamming run.  Which means stupid mail servers read it, and deliver all the undeliverable spam in my inbox, even though it never came from my server.  Not much I can do about it I'm afraid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/07 at 3:47 pm

it appears a spammer is using one of my domains as the "bounce" address in their spamming run.  Which means stupid mail servers read it, and deliver all the undeliverable spam in my inbox, even though it never came from my server.  Not much I can do about it I'm afraid.
I hope you can solve this?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/07 at 4:27 pm

I hope you can solve this?

me too.. I contacted my hosting provider, but they haven't responded yet.

hasn't been a problem again, but I couldn't figure out what they did either.  Not a good thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/07 at 4:30 pm

me too.. I contacted my hosting provider, but they haven't responded yet.

hasn't been a problem again, but I couldn't figure out what they did either.  Not a good thing.
For the record, around the time I was viewing and replying to this thread, the boards were rather slow on the up take.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/07 at 7:01 pm

For the record, around the time I was viewing and replying to this thread, the boards were rather slow on the up take.

I know.  I just awoke from a nap (Neal was sleeping, so I figured I'd do the same). I hit the site to check and see if there were any messages, and I got the too high a load message.  I checked, and it was some ridiculous number, with 1000 exim mail process running.

The hosting provider did get back to me to let me know they were cleaning up the mail system, and to reassure me it wasn't a root exploit.  I should know more in a few hours.  It did waste a better portion of my day unfortunately, but it was a good thing I was around when I was, or it might have run all day.

Written By: Marian on 03/23/07 at 11:22 am

it would logically mean server malfunction,but apparently it doesn't.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/07 at 12:33 pm

It when down again this morning

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/07 at 12:34 pm

It when down again this morning

really?  Do you mean like a few minutes ago?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/07 at 12:42 pm

really?  Do you mean like a few minutes ago?

I just got the high server load message myself.

not sure why though, and I can't check from work

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/07 at 12:42 pm

I just got the high server load message myself.

not sure why though, and I can't check from work
Just then, just like this morning (GMT)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/07 at 5:57 pm

I think the server is hacked again.  Not positive, but one of the email accounts was sending thousands of emails again, and the person it belongs to was nowhere near a computer at the time.  Either it's just his email account, or the whole thing is screwed again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/07 at 3:47 am

I think the server is hacked again.  Not positive, but one of the email accounts was sending thousands of emails again, and the person it belongs to was nowhere near a computer at the time.  Either it's just his email account, or the whole thing is screwed again.
The rotten swine!

Please do give us good notice when you plan to spring clean the boards.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/07 at 10:42 am

The rotten swine!

Please do give us good notice when you plan to spring clean the boards.

I'll try.  I think it's ok for now, but we'll see

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/07 at 10:56 am

I'll try.  I think it's ok for now, but we'll see
I will be he for a short while and if anything crops up I will let you know.

Check for new replies or respond here...