inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Problem accessing the site

Written By: Tam on 08/15/06 at 10:00 pm

I tried to go to inthe00s.com for about a half an hour tonight and all I kept getting was "The Page cannot be displayed"

My internet was running perfectly fine, I could access any other web page - except this one.
Went from 9:25pm until 9:56pm CST.

I would hope that I was not the only one experiencing this problem....
Any ideas Chucky?

Subject: Re: Problem accessing the site

Written By: Jessica on 08/15/06 at 10:04 pm

You're not. I get that several times a day, usually for just a few seconds or up to a minute. It gets annoying when I'm trying to post or PM, but I've learned to deal with it because I thought I was the only one that it happened to. ;D

Written By: Tam on 08/15/06 at 10:11 pm

You're not. I get that several times a day, usually for just a few seconds or up to a minute. It gets annoying when I'm trying to post or PM, but I've learned to deal with it because I thought I was the only one that it happened to. ;D

I don't normally get that particular error - my luck normally has to do with the SMF (which apparently hasn't been a problem for a while!) ;)

Thank goodness I am not the only one! Thanks Girl! 8)

Written By: Jessica on 08/16/06 at 9:09 am

I don't normally get that particular error - my luck normally has to do with the SMF (which apparently hasn't been a problem for a while!) ;)

Thank goodness I am not the only one! Thanks Girl! 8)

No problem. :)

I guess I should keep a record of what times it does it and how many times a day I see it. But I'm lazy. :P

Written By: Tam on 08/16/06 at 11:16 am

It happened to me again last night.
12:30am - 2:00am CST when I finally got tires of trying and went to bed!
So frustrating

Written By: GREEN671 on 09/04/06 at 2:25 am

:-\\ To whom it may concern..its me..Sherry from Memphis Tn..AKA..Green67...I moved and havent been on for MONTHS...I just got RoadRunner so I am back! I missed you guys!...I tried to change my Email and got a activation code..( 26364459cb )...I clicked on the Email but nothing happened..I got Erin's Email last night from Philip Eno..but I could not get her...I have been trying to re-register, but to no avail...PLEASE help!...This is one of my fave sites and I miss my friends!..can you help me get re- registered?...My old Email was..TSHERRYCOL@AOL.COM...MY NEW IS DTRIBBLE@MIDSOUTH.RR.COM.....THANK YOU!...SINCERELY..MRS. SHERRY TRIBBLE..ALSO MY PASSWORD IS..MURREY.... 8)

Written By: loki 13 on 11/18/06 at 10:49 am

For the past two weeks getting on the site has been a crap shoot. For over an hour this morning
I tried to access the site and all I could get is " WEB SITE NOT RESPONDING." This gets so aggravating,
there are times when I just want to throw this damned machine right out the window.  >:(

Written By: spaceace on 11/18/06 at 11:40 am

I have trouble getting into the messageboard every once in a while. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 8:27 pm

Hey Chucky...

I just got an email from Loki13...he and his son (little_devil_rider)...cannot access the site at all. They've even tried to backdoor it by going through amiright and amiwrong but to no avail, all they get is "Page Not Found."  Have you got any other complaints from anyone else recently?  I told them that I would email them back if I heard back from you.

Written By: esoxslayer on 11/27/06 at 8:33 pm

Hey Chucky...

I just got an email from Loki13...he and his son (little_devil_rider)...cannot access the site at all. They've even tried to backdoor it by going through amiright and amiwrong but to no avail, all they get is "Page Not Found."  Have you got any other complaints from anyone else recently?  I told them that I would email them back if I heard back from you.

I had the same problem both this morning and this evening....finally was able to log on about 45 minutes ago.....

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/27/06 at 8:45 pm

there must be 8 threads where I've had to respond to this:

some people may still be unable to see the new site, if you're on a windows machine, here's how to get around that:

If you are not afraid to modify a file on your computer, you can speed up the process by adding the following two lines to the hosts file:

72.232.202.122 inthe00s.com
72.232.202.122 www.inthe00s.com

the hosts file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc  and can be edited with notepad.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/06 at 9:20 pm

some people may still be unable to see the new site, if you're on a windows machine, here's how to get around that:

If you are not afraid to modify a file on your computer, you can speed up the process by adding the following two lines to the hosts file:

the hosts file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc  and can be edited with notepad.
I'm not familiar with the editing steps required, and don't seem to be having any problem at home, but today at work I did and I'm not sure I should be editing files there, but if I wanted to, how do you do it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 9:23 pm

I instructed this to Kevin...but he said that it still didn't work for him. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/27/06 at 9:25 pm

you also need to close all your browser windows and then open them again to make it take effect.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/27/06 at 9:25 pm

I'm not familiar with the editing steps required, and don't seem to be having any problem at home, but today at work I did and I'm not sure I should be editing files there, but if I wanted to, how do you do it?

You go to Start --> Run --> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc --> double-click on "Hosts" and then when it asks what program to open it with, select Notepad --> add those two lines exactly how Chucky posted them underneath all the # signs --> select SAVE (not Save As) and then exit all that.

If you had your internet browser open when you did all this, exit out of the browser and then open it back up again.  The site should work.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/06 at 9:30 pm

You go to Start --> Run --> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc --> double-click on "Hosts" and then when it asks what program to open it with, select Notepad --> add those two lines exactly how Chucky posted them underneath all the # signs --> select SAVE (not Save As) and then exit all that.

If you had your internet browser open when you did all this, exit out of the browser and then open it back up again.  The site should work.
right on, I think you earned a little karma  8)  the thing is I'm good here at home, and I was at work today until later and then it hosed but I probably won't do this on my work computer which means no daytime posting for me.  :(

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/27/06 at 9:39 pm

right on, I think you earned a little karma  8)  the thing is I'm good here at home, and I was at work today until later and then it hosed but I probably won't do this on my work computer which means no daytime posting for me.  :(

well, like I said, in a few days it should right itself anyways. 

I tried making some more modifications to the old server to help speed up the process.  I read a bit more about it today, and learned what I need to do in the future to make the change go quicker for the next time I have to do this.  Still wouldn't have helped in this case, since I moved the site so quickly, and the "time to live, SOA" settings were abnormally high on the old server.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/06 at 9:41 pm

well, like I said, in a few days it should right itself anyways. 

I tried making some more modifications to the old server to help speed up the process.   I read a bit more about it today, and learned what I need to do in the future to make the change go quicker for the next time I have to do this.  Still wouldn't have helped in this case, since I moved the site so quickly, and the "time to live, SOA" settings were abnormally high on the old server.
excellent, so my access at work may just right itself. good, I don't want to make any modifications at work since it's not work related.  thanks CG

Written By: loki 13 on 11/30/06 at 5:14 pm

I've posted this in other threads so one more time won't hurt.

I still can't access the site through inthe00s.com. I have to go through yahoo to get here,
even then certain pages still show "Error! Can't Find web Site." If I didn't know any better
I would think you people are trying to get rid of me. ;D

Just trying to post this the first time. ERROR! CAN'T FIND WEB SITE!  >:(

Written By: La Roche on 11/30/06 at 5:43 pm

Ok.. I have no problems accessing the site.. but I thought this was too funny not to mentioned. I clicked on this topic to see who was having trouble.. and it said it couldn't find the page.  :o. My wi-fi connection cut out at the very second I pulled up this specific topic.  ;D

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/01/06 at 9:48 am

Right now is the first time I've been able to get on the site in about 18 hours.

Seems the connection won't go through, this has happened to me ever since the server was changed, never at the same time during the day, but I always have a time during the day when I can't access this place......

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/01/06 at 4:39 pm

I'm still having trouble logging onto the site. Usually, I have to keep trying to access the site multiple times before it finally pulls the site up. At least I can eventually access the site, which was better than a few days ago when I couldn't log in at all. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/03/06 at 11:07 am

I'm still having trouble logging onto the site. Usually, I have to keep trying to access the site multiple times before it finally pulls the site up. At least I can eventually access the site, which was better than a few days ago when I couldn't log in at all. :)

I've been having the same problem as you... :-\\ 

I'm leery about posting new quizzes just because I've been having so much trouble pulling up the site (board)...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/03/06 at 11:35 am

I was finally able to access the site today, after trying off and on all day yesterday... very frustrating...  :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/03/06 at 11:37 am

I was finally able to access the site today, after trying off and on all day yesterday... very frustrating...  :o

Ditto!  :-\\

Written By: loki 13 on 12/03/06 at 11:59 am

I've been having the same problem as you... :-\\ 

I'm leery about posting new quizzes just because I've been having so much trouble pulling up the site (board)...

It's a comfort to know I am not the only one having trouble. Tam sent me step by step instructions
on how to get the site up and, lo and behold, here I am, but I still encounter " web site can't be found"
errors, even after I followed all the instructions.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/03/06 at 12:04 pm

It's a comfort to know I am not the only one having trouble. Tam sent me step by step instructions
on how to get the site up and, lo and behold, here I am, but I still encounter " web site can't be found"

We're in the same boat, Kevin!

Written By: loki 13 on 12/03/06 at 12:23 pm

We're in the same boat, Kevin!

Well Karen, I guess that makes us the outsiders.  ;D

The story of my life.  :P

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/03/06 at 12:36 pm

I got those yesterday... maybe the server just went down for a while.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/03/06 at 4:33 pm

maybe it is the server...I was just unable to get on the site for the past 4-5 hours....

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 4:37 pm

maybe it is the server...I was just unable to get on the site for the past 4-5 hours....

If it was the server, then no one would be able to access the site. 

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/06 at 6:08 pm

The last few nights in a row, I was not able to get on the site at all.  "Website cannot be found"

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/03/06 at 6:11 pm

The last few nights in a row, I was not able to get on the site at all.  "Website cannot be found"

that's definitely the lingering effects of the move.

really sucks that this thing is taking so long to straighten out for some people.  The last time I had to move I didn't have issues this bad with the host names.

Written By: Abix on 12/04/06 at 11:52 am

last evening at 5:33pm CST , I was logged in and then it went down. I noted the time. It stayed down for several hours. I finally gave up checking around 10pm CST.  I kept getting the message "site cannot be found".

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/04/06 at 12:50 pm

Thanks to Tam's help with modifying the file, I am now able to access the board... :)

Hopefully, I won't have anymore problems trying to get my computer to find the site...

Written By: Tam on 12/04/06 at 2:45 pm

Thanks to Tam's help with modifying the file, I am now able to access the board... :)

Hopefully, I won't have anymore problems trying to get my computer to find the site...

You shouldn't have anymore problems although there are a few who still occasionally see the "Cannot find webpage" screen.
Hopefully, these glitches are working themselves out and soon everyone will have full access again! ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/04/06 at 2:52 pm

You shouldn't have anymore problems although there are a few who still occasionally see the "Cannot find webpage" screen.
Hopefully, these glitches are working themselves out and soon everyone will have full access again! ;)

You rock, girl!!  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/05/06 at 7:09 pm

This is the first time since Sunday that I was able to access the site. What I don't understand is,
how can the computer find the site one minute and lose it the next?

Written By: Abix on 12/05/06 at 7:48 pm

I lost it last night again, while logged on.. at 7:45pm. I checked periodically but it remained unavailable to me until this morning when I logged on. And then again today, at 4:15pm CST, right in the MIDDLE OF A GREAT POST.. I lost it.  Damn thing. I just now got it back, and I noticed I was still logged in. Now how weird is that? Is there something I can do when this happens?

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/06 at 8:48 pm

I had troubles getting online mid morning

Written By: nally on 12/05/06 at 10:41 pm

I had a little trouble this afternoon around 1pm (Pacific time).

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/06/06 at 5:47 pm

Right now is the first time in 24 hours I've been able to get on the site....been trying most of the day, last night, early morning...with both IE and Firefox, and always got the "can't find server" message.......

Written By: nally on 12/06/06 at 5:47 pm

....got the "can't find server" message.......

I know, that's annoying.

Written By: Abix on 12/06/06 at 7:48 pm

^^  yep that's the message I get all the time. And it's sometimes right in the middle of being logged on..

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/06 at 8:43 pm

I am still getting those errors.  I am actually surprised I am able to get here now  :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 12/06/06 at 9:00 pm

Sometimes I get the site, other times I get the "server not found message", but it seems to be working better now.

Written By: Tam on 12/06/06 at 11:04 pm

If you are still having problems accessing the site but have managed to make it here, try this remedy.
Only do this on your personal computer. You may not have administrative access if you are at work.
It is easy to do and it won't harm your computer

Open up "My Computer"
Click "Folders" at the top to get the listing down the left side
Click the + next to your local hard drive C:
Scroll down and click the + next to Windows
Scroll again to click the + next to System32
Click the + next to Drivers
Click the folder Etc

In this folder there is a file called "Hosts". Doubleclick it. You will be asked what program you would like to open it with. Look through the programs, highlight "Notepad" then click ok.

It should open up info similar to this:
"# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost "

Here is where you are going to make the change!
At the end of it all, I want you to click to place your cursor. Hit enter twice.
Now copy these next two lines together and paste them into the notepad where I told you to click enter twice.

Click file, then click save.
You are done.
You have to close out of notepad and close any internet explorer windows you might have open (to include this one. You might want to print this before you close out). Once you do this, the new file will be read when you start up IE again.

Go ahead and open up IE and try to access the site.
Good luck!

Tam

Written By: karen on 12/07/06 at 5:17 am

Yesterday I had one instance of server not found and I had several this morning.  It is not the same message as I was getting when Chucky first moved the boards.  I'm reluctant to make the changes suggested above because I access these boards from work and it would mean modifying their set-up.

Written By: Gis on 12/08/06 at 8:22 am

Yesterday I had one instance of server not found and I had several this morning.  It is not the same message as I was getting when Chucky first moved the boards.  I'm reluctant to make the changes suggested above because I access these boards from work and it would mean modifying their set-up.
Karen it's done it to me the last couple of mornings too , but the boards are always back up a short time later. I know Chucky has been doing a bit more tinkering when it's quiet so I figured that was what it was.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/08/06 at 8:41 am

It shouldn't be doing it anymore.  If it's still doing it by tomorrow, I'd be really surprised.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/09/06 at 5:46 am

So far, I've not had any more problems accessing the site in the past twenty-four hours... Hooray! Thanks, Chucky... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/06 at 9:12 am

Since the swap over it has been perfect, with no hiccups at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...