inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Show new replies to your posts'

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 8:28 pm

I don't know if this one's been posed before. I suspect there's no solution ... other than going in and deleting your former posts ... which I won't do.

Here it is: ..... there are a number of topics which I've only posted in  once or twice, sometimes more ... but have since lost all interest in .... yet when I click on 'show new replies to your posts' ..... I have reams of such topics to wade through constantly. It would be nice if I could mark those topics somehow to no longer be informed of 'new replies' to them. Is there a way / can it be provided?  ??? ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate such a function.

Currently what I do is read the topics of interest ... then choose the 'MARK all messages as read' for these persistent unwanted reply notifications.  :-X

:)

Subject: Re: 'Show new replies to your posts'

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/07 at 8:47 pm

I don't know if this one's been posed before. I suspect there's no solution ... other than going in and deleting your former posts ... which I won't do.

Here it is: ..... there are a number of topics which I've only posted in  once or twice, sometimes more ... but have since lost all interest in .... yet when I click on 'show new replies to your posts' ..... I have reams of such topics to wade through constantly. It would be nice if I could mark those topics somehow to no longer be informed of 'new replies' to them. Is there a way / can it be provided?  ??? ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate such a function.

Currently what I do is read the topics of interest ... then choose the 'MARK all messages as read' for these persistent unwanted reply notifications.  :-X

:)

Basically what you do now is the only solution.  What's not as easily spotted, is the option to flag threads as favorites, and then view your favorites.  That's why the unread replies function is never updated to work they way you mention.  It's a little annoying, and I've seen people mention it as a pet hate, but the developers aren't eager to change the behavior for some reason.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 8:55 pm

Basically what you do now is the only solution.  What's not as easily spotted, is the option to flag threads as favorites, and then view your favorites.  That's why the unread replies function is never updated to work they way you mention.  It's a little annoying, and I've seen people mention it as a pet hate, but the developers aren't eager to change the behavior for some reason.

Hey Chucky .... I'll give that a go. Thanks for the assist/ amazingly prompt response. I'm impressed !  :) 8) 8) 8)

P.S. I suspect this thread will soon no longer be included in my flag of favorites ... 

Sorry 'thread' .... your days are numbered !

How disloyal of me !  :D ;D :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 9:10 pm

Quote from: ChuckyG on Today at 11:47:05 AM

What's not as easily spotted, is the option to flag threads as favorites, and then view your favorites.

Uhm ... I'm feeling a bit dumb  :-[ :-[ .. but I can't spot where / how I flag 'thread as favorites'. So, yeah, you're right, not easily spotted.

I'm aware of 'notify of replies' link ... but that would send me an email about every one of those ....

So, more help required .... please.

:(  :-[

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 10:41 pm

Well, after reading 'Unsubscribing to threads' .. ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=14093.msg0#new )  then looking through my profile options ... I'm reasonably sure now .... having scanned through so many things ... that the option does not exist to unsubscribe to a thread after all.

So, reckon I'm stuck with them.

:(

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/07 at 10:52 pm

Well, after reading 'Unsubscribing to threads' .. ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=14093.msg0#new )  then looking through my profile options ... I'm reasonably sure now .... having scanned through so many things ... that the option does not exist to unsubscribe to a thread after all.

So, reckon I'm stuck with them.

:(

In your profile, go to "Notifications and Email". You should see a bunch of topics: the subject, who it was started by, and an empty box to the right. At the bottom of the list you should see a button that says "Unsuscribe". Just click on the boxes on topics you don't want notifies on anymore, and then click "Unsuscribe".

Ant

Written By: Tam on 10/07/07 at 10:57 pm

In your profile, go to "Notifications and Email". You should see a bunch of topics: the subject, who it was started by, and an empty box to the right. At the bottom of the list you should see a button that says "Unsuscribe". Just click on the boxes on topics you don't want notifies on anymore, and then click "Unsuscribe".

Ant

That will work only if a member has already marked topics to be notified of replies.
If they haven't done that - there will be nothing in the box

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/07 at 11:16 pm

That will work only if a member has already marked topics to be notified of replies.
If they haven't done that - there will be nothing in the box

True.

Uhm ... I'm feeling a bit dumb   :-Ant

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 11:19 pm

Well, 'Red Ant' / Tam, I've found that unsubscribe button ... but don't see that's gonna be of much use. The way I see it, I've got to get email notifications sent everytime somebody replies to a topic if I want to subscribe to a thread to let me know if there's been a 'new reply'. All that does .... unsubscribing .. is then stop the email notification, I would guess ... not stop me from seeing that as a thread in 'show new replies' to your posts.

I don't want my email account flooded with a load of email notifications of replies to threads I'm no longer interested in ...

So, I see we're 'all in the same boat' ....

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 11:22 pm

True.

Alan, I, until 5 minutes ago, had never used the "Show unread posts since last visit" or "Show new replies to your posts" functions in my 2.5+ years here. I turn on email notifications with every topic I post in, and disable them as I see necessary or lose interest in the thread. That might work better for you.  :-\\

Ant

I saw your post ^ just as I made the last one, Jack. As I said ... getting an email notification on EVERY post ... even the ones I'm interested in ... looks a bit of a pain / overkill to me.

Written By: Tam on 10/07/07 at 11:26 pm

Personally, I just look through what is on my new replies and only go to the ones I am now interested in.
I know it is a pain in the butt but there isn't much else to be done.
I asked this same question about a year ago if not longer.

Unless this 'favorites' thing is somewhere we haven't looked - we'll just have to suck it up with the new replies ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 11:28 pm

Personally, I just look through what is on my new replies and only go to the ones I am now interested in.
I know it is a pain in the butt but there isn't much else to be done.
I asked this same question about a year ago if not longer.

Unless this 'favorites' thing is somewhere we haven't looked - we'll just have to suck it up with the new replies ;)

Well, nice to know it's a pain that has bothered others .. .and that I'm not so dumb after all !  :) ;D  8)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/07 at 11:38 pm

I saw your post ^ just as I made the last one, Jack. As I said ... getting an email notification on EVERY post ... even the ones I'm interested in ... looks a bit of a pain / overkill to me.

Well, it is if you post a lot. On another messageboard, I was getting 40-60 emails a day... at first. But, there are some benefits of getting replies via email.

Here's what my email looks like:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Mr. Mister.

View the reply at: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=28943.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=notify;topic=28943.0

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The inthe00s Team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Provided I don't click on the link in the email to the thread, I won't get more notifications from inthe00s.com on that thread. Unsusbcribing is pretty easy as well.

What works for me at my whopping 3.34 posts per day probably would be a nightmare for, say, nally or Philip Eno. Your method seems good.

I have to admit that flagging threads as favorites is not something I see either: Chucky, care to elaborate on that one?  :-Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/08/07 at 7:34 am

Uhm ... I'm feeling a bit dumb  :-[ :-[ .. but I can't spot where / how I flag 'thread as favorites'. So, yeah, you're right, not easily spotted.

I'm aware of 'notify of replies' link ... but that would send me an email about every one of those ....

So, more help required .... please.

:(  :-[

appears I'm wrong... or maybe the feature was a modification at some point or something, but I don't see it listed anywhere and just searched the messageboard software site for it, and didn't see what I was thinking of.  That's what I get for working too much on the weekends I guess  8-P.  So, ignore me on this one.

Written By: karen on 10/09/07 at 8:38 am

I don't think I've ever used 'show new replies to your posts'.  I just go into each board and scroll through the threads to see which ones have new posts.  If you then click on the 'new' button it takes you to where you were last reading the thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...