inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Limit on new topics, especially "repeatish" stuff?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/08 at 11:18 pm

Even though I like the "pop culture discussion/music analysis" type threads (and have posted in them alot), I'm starting to shake my head when I see a bunch of new ones coming up. People seem to be needlessly doing it alot lately.

I know the search feature crashes the server, so we can't bring that back, but is there a way we can maybe limit the number of new topics someone can make? Let's say 2 per day for each person. That might help if not stop it, at least cut it down a little. I wish we could make people more aware of searching, even if the actual Search feature is gone. Maybe that should be a sticky too? I mean, the board HAS been around awhile, so it has more of a history now.

Seriously, if someone wants to know when hair metal got mainstream or what the span for Generation Y is, etc - all they have to do is look through the old posts. It's been discussed before by lots of people (including myself), so there's no need to make new threads out of stuff like that. We also certainly don't need repetitive "Emo" or "MTV sucks and doesnt play music anymore" topics either, those were done to death ages ago.

Subject: Re: Limit on new topics, especially "repeatish" stuff?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/08 at 11:38 pm

Even though I tend to post in the "pop culture discussion/music analysis" type threads alot, I shake my head when I see a bunch of new ones coming up, and people seem to be doing it alot lately. I know the search feature crashes the server, so we can't bring that back, but is there a way we can maybe limit the number of new topics someone can make? Let's say 2 per day for each person.

If people want to know when music videos got mainstream or what caused grunge to die out, etc - I'm sure it's been discussed before by lots of people (including myself) if they just look at the history of the board. There's no need to make new threads out of "older stuff" like that. And we certainly don't need repetitive "Emo" or "MTV sucks and doesnt play music anymore" topics that have been done to death ages ago.

you can still search for topics in the archived threads...I do it all the time. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/08 at 11:42 pm

^ That's what I mean. :) No need for people to do brand new ones, I think thats what makes it annoying. I mean those are some of my favorite types of threads and even I'm getting sick of it. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/08 at 3:46 pm

BUMP

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller? ;D

Seriously though, I have another idea that might help solve things. What about condensing pop culture-discussion stuff into one thread from here out, which could be made into a sticky - esp for the benefit of new members who would have no way of knowing? Maybe one per section, or at least just one in the 2000s section ('cause I bet most people go there, and it would include current stuff too)

You can always change the "header" in there (i.e. instead of the automatic "re: Hair Metal" you could make it whatever you want), to let people know you had a new idea. And if someone made a new thread by itself about something like that, it could either be deleted or merged with the "official" one.

Even though I probably wont be able to be on here AS MUCH pretty soon (I'm looking for a new job currently, so after I get it I'll be busier), I can still probably come on every other day or so if that helps.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 5:21 pm

There's no easy (or perhaps even possible) way to change the forum software to allow x number of topics started for each membergroup.

Making new topics of previously discussed material is okay with me - I wouldn't expect anyone to look through the 1000 or so topics in the 90s section alone to find one like they wanted to discuss. Threads that haven't been replied to in over 4 months display a warning to start a new topic anyway.

ISTM the issue is topic flooding, which is posting a lot of topics back to back, often with no intent of discussing or revisiting them. I like and encourage new topics, but posting a lot of them back to back is very spammy looking and is not going to make me read them. Flooding is *usually* not an issue, and I think most members here think the same and refrain from doing it.

I am considering temporarily removing the guest post ability in the 90s and 00s sections, which is where a fair amount of this stuff has been going on recently. Another avenue is prescreening/preapproving posts of brand new members or guests (ugh..) since issues with banned members, spammers and trolls have been increasing. Mod nastygrams and bans are last resorts, especially with flooding - it makes me feel completely stupid to have to send something like that, but I will if necessary.

Personally, aside from possibly system anouncements (including "MOVED: ..." notices) and when I headed up some of the parody contests (which can involve posting 4 or more threads back to back due to timetables), I've never posted more than three new topics in a day, let alone back to back. I don't consider that any kind of standard you all have to follow, but posting a lot of topics back to back, day in and day out... people's time here is limited, and throwing out more topics at once usually means less of a response to each.

Ant

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/08 at 4:45 pm

^ Yeah that makes sense. I think pre-approving members and turning off guest posting in those two sections is a good idea.

However I think the problem with the pop culture threads is that, even though they're not "strict decadeology" (i.e. is 1995 more like the 80s or 00s) they have some "decadeology elements", and that kinda gets on people's nerves, especially when so many have been made before.

That's why I'm saying maybe someone should just make a "Discuss pop culture or music of " and sticky it, instead of starting a new thread just when someone has one question or a simple take on it. For instance, that VegettoVa dude is making alot of them recently.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:18 pm

^ Yeah that makes sense. I think pre-approving members and turning off guest posting in those two sections is a good idea.

However I think the problem with the pop culture threads is that, even though they're not "strict decadeology" (i.e. is 1995 more like the 80s or 00s) they have some "decadeology elements", and that kinda gets on people's nerves, especially when so many have been made before.

That's why I'm saying maybe someone should just make a "Discuss pop culture or music of " and sticky it, instead of starting a new thread just when someone has one question or a simple take on it. For instance, that VegettoVa dude is making alot of them recently.

yes, but do you really think that these people will take heed to posting ONLY in that designated section? ???

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/08 at 11:28 pm

Getting people to keep a certain repetitive topic to just one thread is almost impossible

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:30 pm

Getting people to keep a certain repetitive topic to just one thread is almost impossible

I agree. There are too many people here who like to "hear themselves talk"..or so to speak...and they continue to start the same sort of topics in numerous sections.

Written By: Davester on 06/26/08 at 11:44 pm

BUMP

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller? ;D

Seriously though, I have another idea that might help solve things. What about condensing pop culture-discussion stuff into one thread from here out, which could be made into a sticky - esp for the benefit of new members who would have no way of knowing? Maybe one per section, or at least just one in the 2000s section ('cause I bet most people go there, and it would include current stuff too)

You can always change the "header" in there (i.e. instead of the automatic "re: Hair Metal" you could make it whatever you want), to let people know you had a new idea. And if someone made a new thread by itself about something like that, it could either be deleted or merged with the "official" one.

Even though I probably wont be able to be on here AS MUCH pretty soon (I'm looking for a new job currently, so after I get it I'll be busier), I can still probably come on every other day or so if that helps.

Perhaps it's time to remember what the inspiration for this board was in the first place...

Maybe a new theme, or gimmick, is in order.  inthe80s (at the apex of the 80s craze) begot Decades which begot whatever it is supposed to be today.  I seriously don't mind decadeology one bit because it is inspiring and thought provoking at the same time that it is ludicrous.  Decadeology is of more practical use than the myriad, useless, repetative redundancy that we've been wallowing in for a few years, now...

That fact that Decadeology takes a little more brain power to make some kind of cohesive sense of, and the fact that it's usually a bit more involved than a text message or photo caption doesn't mean that it fails to engage, provoke, intrigue and just plain entertain...

Two cents...

Keep grooving, Marty... ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/08 at 2:42 pm

Perhaps it's time to remember what the inspiration for this board was in the first place...

Maybe a new theme, or gimmick, is in order.  inthe80s (at the apex of the 80s craze) begot Decades which begot whatever it is supposed to be today.  I seriously don't mind decadeology one bit because it is inspiring and thought provoking at the same time that it is ludicrous.  Decadeology is of more practical use than the myriad, useless, repetative redundancy that we've been wallowing in for a few years, now...

That fact that Decadeology takes a little more brain power to make some kind of cohesive sense of, and the fact that it's usually a bit more involved than a text message or photo caption doesn't mean that it fails to engage, provoke, intrigue and just plain entertain...

Two cents...

Keep grooving, Marty... ;)

Thanks Dave. :) You've got a point, that most of us are here because (1) we're old-school nostalgics who miss things from when we were younger, or (2) have an interest in "older stuff" anyway.

I think there's some problems with that now. One big problem is that people tend to start a thread when they have any new thought, so there ends up being alot of needless ones.

Also, aside from people WAY overdoing decadeology and similar stuff (i.e. Generation X/Y birthspans, multiple topics about genres like emo or hair metal)...I think there's another reason it doesn't go over very well anymore. Because the board was still kinda new 3 years ago, so not everything had been covered yet. Back then it was more general, where people talked about growing up in the '80s and '90s (or if they were younger, at least talking about what they liked from the past)....so the decade stuff was just one thing that factored into it.

Nowadays it's like nothing is original anymore, so even if someone comes on with a fresh perspective it's like "come on we've already done this". I honestly think it would still be kinda the same way today, even if decadeology hadn't been overabused. I mean how many times can you ask if 1981 was still the '70s or when grunge started...and if a new person wants to read up on it, it's somewhere on the board!

That's what happens when boards have a certain "history". I've seen this on one of the Back to the Future boards I used to go to alot, where there'd be new people signing up who maybe just saw the movies asked a more general question that was commonly known to the more "longtime/devoted" fans. So lots of times it would annoy the older members (even me with time), again because it's like everything had already been covered.

Written By: Davester on 06/27/08 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Dave. :) You've got a point, that most of us are here because (1) we're old-school nostalgics who miss things from when we were younger, or (2) have an interest in "older stuff" anyway.

That's what brought us here.  After awhile we make friends and log-in, hang out and shoot the bull...

I think there's some problems with that now. One big problem is that people tend to start a thread when they have any new thought, so there ends up being alot of needless ones.

Also, aside from people WAY overdoing decadeology and similar stuff (i.e. Generation X/Y birthspans, multiple topics about genres like emo or hair metal)...I think there's another reason it doesn't go over very well anymore. Because the board was still kinda new 3 years ago, so not everything had been covered yet. Back then it was more general, where people talked about growing up in the '80s and '90s (or if they were younger, at least talking about what they liked from the past)....so the decade stuff was just one thing that factored into it.

Nowadays it's like nothing is original anymore, so even if someone comes on with a fresh perspective it's like "come on we've already done this". I honestly think it would still be kinda the same way today, even if decadeology hadn't been overabused. I mean how many times can you ask if 1981 was still the '70s or when grunge started...and if a new person wants to read up on it, it's somewhere on the board!

The "Cold Hard Facts" are overdone, I think.  When everyone is an expert, where else is there to go?  I prefer anecdotes, anymore.  I like the pop cultural stuff with a personal spin...

That's what happens when boards have a certain "history". I've seen this on one of the Back to the Future boards I used to go to alot, where there'd be new people signing up who maybe just saw the movies asked a more general question that was commonly known to the more "longtime/devoted" fans. So lots of times it would annoy the older members (even me with time), again because it's like everything had already been covered.

Yeah, messageboard old timers (I know from experience) can be impatient and grumpy...

From what I've observed here, many of those barking the loudest about decadeology are those who contribute least to the relevent discussions.  Go figger...*shrugs*  The topics in question have always been pretty short on purpose (ie. what the topic starter intends to achieve) but long on...on...that game you play when you're really, really bored when you try to grab your left thumb with your right hand but keep missing.  I think decadeology can be done (granted, DD did seem to be a little OCD.  No offence to anyone suffering from it), but first we have to know exactly what we're talking about, where we're going with it and why it matters...

I've read decadology-type topics called repetitive.  Repetitive?!?  HERE?!?  NEVER!!! LOL!  I mean, come-on man!  There used to be a whole sub-board dedicated to ghosts!  Freaking ghosts!!!  I digress...

Look, I may not always understand what you guys are talkin' about with the generational/decadeology stuff, but I certainly try and, more importantly, I have fun.  And I'll defend your choice to discuss it (you'll notice I said "choice" not "right"...)

You can start by defining it, Marty.  I don't think anyone has done that...

Happy Friday, all..! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/08 at 10:24 pm

I've read decadology-type topics called repetitive.  Repetitive?!?  HERE?!?  NEVER!!! LOL!  I mean, come-on man!  There used to be a whole sub-board dedicated to ghosts!  Freaking ghosts!!!  I digress...

and there STILL is...it is apart of the "offbeat oddities" section, and I am one of the moderators of it. I never would have thought that the oddities board would ever get compared to the way overdone decadeology crap...wow, that's a first. :o I think people would rather talk about defunct places and ghosts...than compare 1992 2001, or 1984 to 1999. At least in that section...each thread was something different...not the same bull that decadeology took up.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/08 at 4:57 pm

*Bumparoo*

I just noticed someone bumped an old decadeody thread again. Mods, do you think it might be a good idea to lock those? I would say delete, but I think it's kinda actually a good idea to leave the old ones up, so people can read them (and it preserves some of the board history), and so they'll (hopefully) be less likely to start new ones. ;)

Occasionally I like going back and reading them for reference myself. It's really unfortunate that spam sh*t and abuse from a few people ruined that type of pop culture discussion, because there really were some insightful things people brought up too. But I guess what's done is done.

P.S. I wonder if making some note in the "stickies" (saying how decadeology isnt allowed) about how there's old posts towards the beginning of the board where people can read if they happen to be interested in that stuff. Maybe that would help?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/08 at 5:29 pm

*Bumparoo*

I just noticed someone bumped an old decadeody thread again. Mods, do you think it might be a good idea to lock those? I would say delete, but I think it's kinda actually a good idea to leave the old ones up, so people can read them (and it preserves some of the board history), and so they'll (hopefully) be less likely to start new ones. ;)

Occasionally I like going back and reading them for reference myself. It's really unfortunate that spam sh*t and abuse from a few people ruined that type of pop culture discussion, because there really were some insightful things people brought up too. But I guess what's done is done.

P.S. I wonder if making some note in the "stickies" (saying how decadeology isnt allowed) about how there's old posts towards the beginning of the board where people can read if they happen to be interested in that stuff. Maybe that would help?

It's kind of been the policy to lock those as we spot them.  If it's still unlocked, report it and we'll take care of it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/23/08 at 9:02 pm

It's been stickied for some time now.  A thread explaining what decadology is and why it's strongly discouraged.

Written By: Davester on 08/23/08 at 9:06 pm

I just noticed someone bumped an old decadeody thread again.

I received the complaint.  Chucky already locked it...

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/08 at 8:11 pm

It's been stickied for some time now.  A thread explaining what decadology is and why it's strongly discouraged.

Well I know, but I mean like for new people who want to talk about that stuff, it might help if they know there's tons of old posts they can read through and probably be satisfied lol.

In fairness to newbies, they don't know how badly it got abused in the past, so they might not hesitate to bump them and/or start new threads, that's why I was saying amending the stickies might be a good idea. So would locking the old posts, 'cause I bet some people don't even read the stickies.

Hell I'll even say people can PM me if they wanna talk about it that badly. ;D But there's gotta be some way to keep it off the board.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/08 at 9:31 pm

So would locking the old posts, 'cause I bet some people don't even read the stickies.

That's alot of posts to lock and would take too much time

Check for new replies or respond here...