inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Embedding youtube videos in posts?

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 10:15 am

People,

Is it possible to embed youtube videos inside of posts by using specific code?  I've gone through the a-z list of code, but couldn't find anything so I assume we can only link to youtube rather than embed in a post?

Subject: Re: Embedding youtube videos in posts?

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 10:21 am

People,

Is it possible to embed youtube videos inside of posts by using specific code?  I've gone through the a-z list of code, but couldn't find anything so I assume we can only link to youtube rather than embed in a post?

We just post the direct link - I've never seen anyone successfully embed a video here.

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 10:22 am

I suspected as much, thankyou. 

It is a useful feature though, back at the 80sxchange the code was .

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 12:02 pm

People,

Our forum is not set up to allow the embedding of anything.
We keep it that way because embedding takes up more room than really necessary.
Not to mention that some embedding code can also be malicious software. ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/09 at 1:14 pm

It doesn't really take up more room (aside from the width/height of the video in the thread).  The biggest problem is with malicious code.  YouTube is fairly safe so I might be able to code something up to allow just YouTube posts.  I don't think anyone's ever asked for it before.

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 1:40 pm

It doesn't really take up more room (aside from the width/height of the video in the thread).  The biggest problem is with malicious code.  YouTube is fairly safe so I might be able to code something up to allow just YouTube posts.  I don't think anyone's ever asked for it before.

I did about two years ago  ;) but not directly to you

Written By: karen on 10/25/09 at 2:45 pm

I guess the only problem would be whether it would cause issues for people accessing the boards from libraries or over their work network.

And also for people still using dial-up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/09 at 3:03 pm

I guess the only problem would be whether it would cause issues for people accessing the boards from libraries or over their work network.

YouTube is pretty well behaved, in that they don't play right away, and the overhead of the flash on the page is about the same as a flash ad on other sites.  I'm sure it could be turned off again if it proved to be an issue.

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 3:22 pm

people should not be using dial up in this day and age... 

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 3:26 pm

Or those with older computers - with low processors. ;)
I know a couple of our members use them.

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 3:38 pm

Well, the main reason I asked was because back at the 80sxchange I used to do a monthly 'top 80's youtube picks' post, which involved embedding all my selections into one post. 

I think it's much easier for the poster to stay watching the videos from within the frame, rather than having to click links each time.  So if there is any chance you could code something I know I'd be very grateful.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 3:41 pm

Or those with older computers - with low processors. ;)
I know a couple of our members use them.

still no excuse  ;)

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 3:45 pm

Well, the main reason I asked was because back at the 80sxchange I used to do a monthly 'top 80's youtube picks' post, which involved embedding all my selections into one post. 

I think it's much easier for the poster to stay watching the videos from within the frame, rather than having to click links each time.  So if there is any chance you could code something I know I'd be very grateful.  :)

We aren't 80schange and we use completely different forum software. ;)

If Chucky writes the code then it will work, but like he said, if itproves to be too much, he will disable it again.

still no excuse  ;)

;D

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 3:53 pm

No, really? Thankyou for that pertinent observation.   ::)

I provided an example of I why I would find having that code available useful, and I had no intention of stirring up a 'tit for tat' about which website is better, or uses what functionality.

If Chucky writes the code then it will work, but like he said, if itproves to be too much, he will disable it again.

Again, I'm merely asking a question!  No skin off my nose if he doesn't write the code.

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 3:57 pm

No, really? Thankyou for that pertinent observation.   ::)

I provided an example of I why I would find having that code available, and I had no intention of stirring up a 'tit for tat' about which website is better, or uses what functionality.

Again, I'm merely asking a question!  No skin off my nose if he doesn't write the code.

hey only I'm allowed to get snarky with Tam.  >:(

and maybe Karen but mostly just me...  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 4:12 pm

That was one of the things I did like about the 80sx was the ability to embed videos directly into posts.  It was handy, rather than having to click a link and load up all the whole YouTube page.

I did about two years ago  ;) but not directly to you

I did as well, but I don't remember where or how I mentioned it lol

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 4:19 pm

I suspected as much, thankyou. 

It is a useful feature though, back at the 80sxchange the code was .

;D

No, really? Thankyou for that pertinent observation.  ::)

I provided an example of I why I would find having that code available useful, and I had no intention of stirring up a 'tit for tat' about which website is better, or uses what functionality.

Again, I'm merely asking a question!  No skin off my nose if he doesn't write the code.

Ok smartass...

I said it because you made a point to mention the site in not one, but 2 posts.
Secondly, had you taken the time to notice, there is a wink smiley in my post. Get it?
And third... two different forums, two different softwares. That was my point.

Don't get all high and mighty with me when you don't take the time to grasp a post.

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 4:27 pm

Ok smartass...

I said it because you made a point to mention the site in not one, but 2 posts.

Like, so what?  Aren't we allowed to make reference to other 80's sites in here more than once?  The citation quote was relevant and necessary, and I didn't see anything in the FAQ that suggests it's a offence.

Secondly, had you taken the time to notice, there is a wink smiley in my post. Get it?
And third... two different forums, two different softwares. That was my point.

I took the time to notice.  But I also recognise when I'm being patronised as well.

Don't get all high and mighty with me when you don't take the time to grasp a post.

And may I suggest that next time you try to make a point, you don't treat the poster like an complete imbecile in the first instance.

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 4:46 pm

Like, so what?  Aren't we allowed to make reference to other 80's sites in here more than once?  The citation quote was relevant and necessary, and I didn't see anything in the FAQ that suggests it's a offence.

I took the time to notice.  But I also recognise when I'm being patronised as well.

I can assure you that I was not patronizing you. You made a valid point, as I made a valid point. The smiley was used in order to make sure that you didn't misconstrue my tone of voice. Apparently my post was doomed no matter what I said.

And may I suggest that next time you try to make a point, you don't treat the poster like an complete imbecile in the first instance.

I did?  ???

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 4:56 pm

I can assure you that I was not patronizing you. You made a valid point, as I made a valid point. The smiley was used in order to make sure that you didn't misconstrue my tone of voice. Apparently my post was doomed no matter what I said.

My crime was mentioning the 80sxchange twice, which appeared to get right up your nose.

Not to mention that some embedding code can also be malicious software

And I would have been happy to have left it at that had it not been for further input by Beck, which countered that statement and offered further encouragement.

Let's leave it and move on, ok?  I am a nice guy, honest!  :)

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 5:05 pm

My crime was mentioning the 80sxchange twice, which appeared to get right up your nose.

And I would have been happy to have left it at that had it not been for further input by Beck, which countered that statement and offered further encouragement.

Let's leave it and move on, ok?  I am a nice guy, honest!   :)

And I will gladly apologize for my tone of voice not coming through in my post. ;)

Written By: Chasey on 10/25/09 at 5:08 pm

And I will gladly apologize for my tone of voice not coming through in my post. ;)

Uh...yea...I think I know what you mean  :D

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 8:02 pm

I see Chucky is working on it right now...

top right corner:
"$txt = 'YouTube'; $txt = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; "

;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/09 at 8:05 pm

I see Chucky is working on it right now...

top right corner:
"$txt = 'YouTube'; $txt = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; "

;)

yeah, thought it would go a little smoother than that... apparently the arcade mod forgot to leave a line feed at the end of one of it's modifications so it threw it for a loop...

anyways <youtube></youtube> with square brackets should now work.  Might have to change the additional themes as well.

There were two pre-made packages, one allowed just youtube, the other covered hundreds of video sites.  I thought sticking to just YouTube was fine for now.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/09 at 8:07 pm

Sonic Youth - Diamond sea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQSyzHi2-Y

when you embed, you might want to add a title or something, the youtube embed only embeds the video, nothing else.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/09 at 8:12 pm

Uh...yea...I think I know what you mean  :D

oh you two...  :D

Written By: nally on 10/25/09 at 11:20 pm

Let me give it a try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMzNAk1MAdU

I hit the preview button, and it seems to work.

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/09 at 11:43 pm

Sonic Youth - Diamond sea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQSyzHi2-Y

when you embed, you might want to add a title or something, the youtube embed only embeds the video, nothing else.

That's AWESOME Chucky!!! thx!  :)

Written By: Chasey on 10/26/09 at 3:03 am

It works a treat - many thanks Chucky, I think this is an excellent feature!  :)

And worry ye not, because Tam and I have made our peace and everythings schmool  ;)

Written By: Midas on 10/26/09 at 10:48 am

It works a treat - many thanks Chucky, I think this is an excellent feature!  :)

And worry ye not, because Tam and I have made our peace and everythings schmool  ;)

Thank goodness...I would've told yous to hug it out.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/09 at 4:14 pm

^ That's awesome

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/09 at 7:58 am

What am I doing wrong.  I copy the link insert it in youtube, but it doesn't work.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/22/09 at 9:02 am

What am I doing wrong.  I copy the link insert it in youtube, but it doesn't work.

I had the same problem.  I finally just gave up.

Written By: Tam on 12/22/09 at 9:32 am

Here is what I do:

I copy the url from the address bar, not from the side links that youtube gives.

Then I use our youtube blocks
  http://www.you  tube.com/  watch?v=LsHDdawSjLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHDdawSjLU

Hope this helps 8)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/22/09 at 9:49 am

Let me try that, I think I was using the link not the address bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaGQEskSKM

YAY!  Thanks Hermie!

Written By: Tam on 12/22/09 at 10:59 am

My pleasure Girl!
Took me a bit to work it the first time, and that's when I figured out that the address bar works better than the youtube links. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/09 at 11:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM

GOT IT!

Check for new replies or respond here...