inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: petty question re unwanted threads

Written By: Hud on 05/12/11 at 11:46 pm

I'm 99% sure this isn't feasable or in any system, but knowing nothing about the way forum sites operate, what harm in asking?
Just wondering if there is a way to block incessantly reappearing threads one despises when a member checks out "unread posts since last visit"? I have to sift thru the same 50 popular threads (I'm not hip any more and not really into "words by alphabet") each time that irritate me more each time I see them (serious life problems, this rates a one, ten being worst). Please don't misunderstand. This is in no way criticism. I'm thankful the option of "unread posts since last visit" exists. I'm just tech handicapped and trying to learn. ty

Subject: Re: petty question re unwanted threads

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 11:48 pm

I'm 99% sure this isn't feasable or in any system, but knowing nothing about the way forum sites operate, what harm in asking?
Just wondering if there is a way to block incessantly reappearing threads one despises when a member checks out "unread posts since last visit"? I have to sift thru the same 50 popular threads (I'm not hip any more and not really into "words by alphabet") each time that irritate me more each time I see them (serious life problems, this rates a one, ten being worst). Please don't misunderstand. This is in no way criticism. I'm thankful the option of "unread posts since last visit" exists. I'm just tech handicapped and trying to learn. ty

What you said.  To the best of my knowledge, there isn't, short of realizing you posted in a thread that's... well, that's one of those threads you're no longer interested in reading.  If you can find your posts in that thread and remove them, the thread will stop appearing.  Other than that, you just gotta wait for the usual suspects to give up on 'em.

But if I'm wrong, please, someone, let me know.

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 12:08 am

no there isn't... I try to make it a habit to post in the threads I'm interested in that way I only have to click on New Replies to my posts...
I also check in several times a day and check the front page for new threads.... 

when I have time on my days I'll check the first three pages of specific boards --- 1980s, More than a Decade, Playful Penguin Place (PPP), Writing on Walrus (WOW) and Tenacious Tuxedo Thread(TTT)  to see if I missed anything interesting...

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 12:33 am

I believe you gentlemen are confusing "unread posts since last visit" with "show new replies to your posts", but thank you kindly  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 12:47 am

I believe you gentlemen are confusing "unread posts since last visit" with "show new replies to your posts", but thank you kindly  :)

I'm not a gentleman. And what I was saying is I don't use unread posts since your last visit because you can't filter out unwanted posts.

I use new replies to my post so I only read what I'm interested in. As I stated I try to post in all posts that interest me and find new topucs by checking the front page. On my days off. When I have time. I peruse the topics that interest me to find topics I may have missed in doing the things I mentioned in my previous post and just now in this post

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/11 at 1:05 am

I'm not a gentleman. And what I was saying is I don't use unread posts since your last visit because you can't filter out unwanted posts.

But yeah, what she said.  Hang out for a week or two, you'll quickly figure out which sorts of threads have content, and which are just people trying to inflate their post count, even though the board itself stopped keeping track of their post counts many years ago.  (I don't understand it either.  It's just how they roll.  *shrug*  No harm, no foul.)

Avoid posting to those threads, and the "new replies to your posts" remains pretty useful. 

I have a set of tabs (one for each of the sub-boards I follow, skipping over the boards that are prone to post-count-inflation threads) bookmarked, and I can pop it open with a mouse click.  If I have the vaguest idea of when I last logged on, and my browser has the vaguest idea of when I last clicked on a URL, getting caught up on actual content - and skipping over the other sort of threads - is pretty quick and easy.

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 1:22 am

I use new replies to my post so I only read what I'm interested in. As I stated I try to post in all posts that interest me and find new topucs by checking the front page. On my days off. When I have time. I peruse the topics that interest me to find topics I may have missed in doing the things I mentioned in my previous post and just now in this post

snozberries, I get in a rush and with all the unnecessary ego-garbage displayed in posts, fail to notice the teeny tiny teeny tiny little icon that a few choose to display representing whether they are a boy or a girl. I'm sorry for rushing thru and lumping u into "gentleman" status with that (Moderated for childishness) Foo Bar. I think we all know where Foo Bar stands. Anyway, how's about you and me hittin' the town tonight...or if you have an attractive friend, that's okay too. Just let me know. My secret batcode is...  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 8:53 am

^ignoring this

Foo you know how I feel about those super geeks posts. So I hate to "defend" them but the reason they do it is their actual post count number is tracked in their stats. #1 & #2 are fully aware of just how many posts separate them. That's why they still do it. It's lame but if you don't have a life well you know. Karma to you tho cuz you're many things but a (Moderated for Childishness) ain't one of them.

Eta...I owe one

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 11:36 am

I finally got the desired "i hate you" rating. ty, snoz!

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 11:53 am

I finally got the desired "i hate you" rating. ty, snoz!

My pleasure... it wasn't for what you said here tho... it was for what you said in the Sada Thompson memorial thread... hopefully you're not really as big a (Moderated for Childishness) as you've been coming off today

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 1:25 pm

My pleasure... it wasn't for what you said here tho... it was for what you said in the Sada Thompson memorial thread... hopefully you're not really as big a tool as you've been coming off today

I'm sure this belongs in a thread of its own, but you not only carry grudges between threads, but admit in the thread your hatred of the words from a different thread, relying on your five, six (whatever) year dedication to this inanity and your eight worshippers, as have all "site old timers with no life".
The term "tool" that you utilize says it all. Be a thinker, snoz, not a follower, imitator of the young.
All snoz worshippers, please feel free to send the "i hate you" rate immediately, as the knee jerk reaction dictates.
I don't sweat old site has-beens with the worshipper followings. The liberal site needs a good b-slap on occasion to sober the drug induced.

Blah Blah Blah - "Moderated by Tam"

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 1:49 pm

I'm sure this belongs in a thread of its own, but you not only carry grudges between threads, but admit in the thread your hatred of the words from a different thread

Of course I carry my opinions from one thread to another just because the topic has changed doesn't mean my opinion of the poster has changed in the last 45 seconds.  ::)

relying on your five, six (whatever) year dedication to this inanity and your eight worshippers, as have all "site old timers with no life".

There are more than 8 "snoz worshippers"  out there and we all have a life.... there may be other board members without a life but most of the people I interact with do.  which is we don't fall into the super geek poster status.  

The term "tool" that you utilize says it all. Be a thinker, snoz, not a follower, imitator of the young.

I am a thinker and the more I read from you today the more convinced I am that I thought right...  YOU ARE A (Moderated for Childishness)

All snoz worshippers, please feel free to send the "i hate you" rate immediately, as the knee jerk reaction dictates.
I don't sweat old site has-beens with the worshipper followings.

my friends will or won't comment as necessary the one thing the know for sure is that I can fight my own battles....if you want a war tho I'm willing to call in the troops.

The liberal site needs a good b-slap on occasion to sober the drug induced.

There's only one person here who needs a good b-slap and it ain't me and damn sure ain't these boards.

I didn't start this battle I didn't even want to take it on... Foo Bar and I posted to genuine answer your question and try to help you out. You chose to act like an donkey in your response now deal with the consequences.

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 2:36 pm

::)

School yard shenanigans at it finest.
Y'all go to separate parts of the playground and cease. ;D

Seriously though, I love how members claim that there is favoritism and bands of worshipers and the like.
Trust me - my ban button doesn't have a limit on who it touches.

It's been a while since a good little tumble, but I love to bring the smack down! w00t!!!

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 2:39 pm

Tam...really? Favoritism and altering of posts? Really, Tam?

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 2:45 pm

Tam...reallly? Favoritism and altering of posts? Really, Tam?

Excuse me?
As a moderator I can change and alter what needs to be in order to meet the needs of the forum.
Are you challenging my knowledge base?
Are you insinuating favoritism on my part?
Show me where please and I will gladly prove you wrong.

Since you questioned me on the forum...
Did you not just read the warning I sent BOTH you and snoz?
You really want to test a moderator on this site with apparently no life, as you claim?
Trust me. You really don't want to go there...

Written By: Tia on 05/13/11 at 2:47 pm

everything's okay, because i'm here now. is there some regulatin' that needs gettin' done?

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 2:50 pm

^ You crack me up Mike! lol

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 2:51 pm

Excuse me?
As a moderator I can change and alter what needs to be in order to meet the needs of the forum.
Are you challenging my knowledge base?
Are you insinuating favoritism on my part?
Show me where please and I will gladly prove you wrong.

Since you questioned me on the forum...
Did you not just read the warning I sent BOTH you and snoz?
You really want to test a moderator on this site with apparently no life, as you claim?
Trust me. You really don't want to go there...

Tam, you mad with power-happy kook, do as you please, nutcase. Be sure to erase evidince of your ineptitude and bias, Tam. Tell everyone what a nutcase intigator was. Spread lies as you liberals do. Edit this to suit to your lying benefit

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 2:52 pm

Tam, you mad with power-happy kook, do as you please, nutcase. Be sure to erase evidince of your ineptitude and bias, Tam. Tell everyone what a nutcase intigator was. Spread lies as you liberals do. Edit this to suit to your lying benefit

Call me psychic but I'm pretty sure that's the last post you'll ever make here.  :D

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 2:54 pm

Call me psychic but I'm pretty sure that's the last post you'll ever make here.   :D

boo hoo

Written By: Tia on 05/13/11 at 2:54 pm

Call me psychic but I'm pretty sure that's the last post you'll ever make here.   :D
i wish we could keep a museum of final posts. a graveyard, if you will. but i guess that would be non-kosher.

Written By: Tia on 05/13/11 at 2:54 pm

boo hoo
well, ok, i guess it'll be THIS one, then.

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 2:55 pm

boo hoo

alright you got one more post in...but soon you'll be gone. You poked a mod...it was a bad maneuver. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 2:55 pm

i wish we could keep a museum of final posts. a graveyard, if you will. but i guess that would be non-kosher.

we could start a thread... I'm sure Alan's last post is around here somewhere that would be a good start...and babooshka's this one can be third  ;D

Written By: Hud on 05/13/11 at 3:00 pm

I just ask, where is the coward mod that hits the button to silence "the others"?

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 3:06 pm

I just ask, where is the coward mod that hits the button to silence "the others"?

I'd like to say it's been nice knowing ya but.....

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 3:09 pm

this other has adhered to the mod's warning and therefore I will restrain from saying anything further but you keep on digging that grave just let me get some popcorn cuz this show is going to be AWESOME!  8)

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 3:19 pm

Mahahaha!
I'm a mad with power-happy kook!!!
And a nutcase!
I am inept and biased!
I am a nutcase intigator <-btw? Spell check much?
Apparently I am a Liberal... Hahahahaha!
Edit it? Why should I edit something that shows your (I am guessing) uneducated arse in broad daylight?

You - Hud - have the chance to read this before I delete your account and ban you.
You were sent a private message about your actions, and snozberries was sent the exact some one. You will note that I chastised BOTH OF YOU. Where was my favoritism? I edited both of you in this thread. Where was my favoritism? If I am so inept then how could I even possibly know what favoritism is? I'll show you my skills Buddy!

In case you didn't know - I AM A MODERATOR!!!! That means that what I say goes. Do I normally rule with an iron fist? Heck no! But when people like you are brought to my attention, I have to do something about it. So alas, you are going to find yourself removed from our little forum, and I am sure we aren't the first forum you have been removed from. It's all good. Talk about me all you like. You think snoz has 8 worshipers? You haven't seen the wrath of those who actually like their moderator yet... likely won't get a chance to though -  because your arse is going to be wiped so quickly, you won't even notice that your diaper has been changed!

Slide along slug.
I have no time for self-loathing people who perpetuate living in their bedrooms on computers and video games.

Poo Poo - I'm done wasting my time on you and your stench.

Run along.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/13/11 at 3:22 pm

Harmonica???  Is that you???

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 3:43 pm

Mahahaha!
And a nutcase!
I am inept and biased!
Edit it? Why should I edit something that shows your (I am guessing) uneducated arse in broad daylight?

You - Hud - have the chance to read this before I delete your account and ban you.
You were sent a private message about your actions, and snozberries was sent the exact some one. You will note that I chastised BOTH OF YOU. Where was my favoritism? I edited both of you in this thread. Where was my favoritism? If I am so inept then how could I even possibly know what favoritism is? I'll show you my skills Buddy!

In case you didn't know - I AM A MODERATOR!!!! That means that what I say goes. Do I normally rule with an iron fist? Heck no! But when people like you are brought to my attention, I have to do something about it. So alas, you are going to find yourself removed from our little forum, and I am sure we aren't the first forum you have been removed from. It's all good. Talk about me all you like. You think snoz has 8 worshipers? You haven't seen the wrath of those who actually like their moderator yet... likely won't get a chance to though -  because your arse is going to be wiped so quickly, you won't even notice that your diaper has been changed!

Slide along slug.
I have no time for self-loathing people who perpetuate living in their bedrooms on computers and video games.

Run along.

where's that pic Jess always posts at times like this of the donkey on the tray!

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 3:56 pm

where's that pic Jess always posts at times like this of the donkey on the tray!

No clue but it is always welcomed! ;)

Written By: Jessica on 05/13/11 at 4:03 pm

You rang?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Funny/silver_plattered.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 4:11 pm

You rang?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Funny/silver_plattered.jpg

I DID! I DID!!! And I have saved it for future reference!!!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 05/13/11 at 4:14 pm

You rang?

You rock Jess. ;)

I feel I didn't really give him his arse though - I only wiped it... :(

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 4:15 pm

You rock Jess. ;)

I feel I didn't really give him his arse though - I only wiped it... :(

The little snot-turd  had it coming.... sorry Tam I couldn't resist... I edited myself  ;)  :D

Written By: karen on 05/13/11 at 4:26 pm

Why do things always kick off when I'm not around the boards.  :(

Written By: karen on 05/13/11 at 4:26 pm

Nice to see Tam and tia back

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 4:43 pm

Why do things always kick off when I'm not around the boards.   :(

new rule...don't leave the boards...ever... not even to go pee!  :D

Written By: karen on 05/13/11 at 4:53 pm

new rule...don't leave the boards...ever... not even to go pee!  :D

The other night on an ep of CSI:wherever they had a dead gamer who was wearing a huge adult sized nappy (diaper)  Blech!

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 4:58 pm

The other night on an ep of CSI:wherever they had a dead gamer who was wearing a huge adult sized nappy (diaper)  Blech!

;D  now that's a computer nerd with no life!  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/13/11 at 5:51 pm

Bwahahahaha!!!

You rang?

You can always count on Jess! ;D

Written By: Tia on 05/13/11 at 6:11 pm

we could start a thread... I'm sure Alan's last post is around here somewhere that would be a good start...and babooshka's this one can be third  ;D

Mr. Mister? Mr. Mister went down? DAAAG.

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 7:20 pm

Mr. Mister? Mr. Mister went down? DAAAG.

oh man...did you miss that???!!!!????? Dude came unhinged!!!! I don't know if the thread is still around.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/11 at 7:25 pm

I've started some pretty stupid threads at times.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/11 at 7:27 pm

Dammit! I picked the wrong time to hit the range today. I always miss sh*t like this.  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/11 at 8:00 pm

H.U.D. : Harmonica Under Disguise?  :o :o :o

OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch.  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 05/13/11 at 8:11 pm

H.U.D. : Harmonica Under Disguise?  :o :o :o

OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch.  ::)

I don't think it was Harmy.  He wasn't spouting off about religion and his love for Tom Cruise.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/11 at 11:03 pm

People please.  Can we get to the point ...

1984 is definately like 1972 than it is 1884. 

:D

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/11 at 11:05 pm

People please.  Can we get to the point ...

1984 is definately like 1972 than it is 1884. 

:D

Yes but 1776 was totally a precursor to 1984 but not as 1986 as 2010 was.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/13/11 at 11:25 pm

Mahahaha!
And a nutcase!
I am inept and biased!

Slide along slug.

Run along.

Dang!  An excellent reminder to stay on your god side!  You told MR. Icky real good!

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 12:13 am

Dang!  An excellent reminder to stay on your god side!  You told MR. Icky real good!

Tam's god side. I love it!!!!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 05/14/11 at 8:59 am

Tam's god side. I love it!!!!  ;D

Behold my mighty power!!! Mahahaha!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/11 at 12:24 pm

Ok, I was here yesterday. How the hell did I miss this thread?  :-[ 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 12:26 pm

Ok, I was here yesterday. How the hell did I miss this thread?  :-[ 

Cat

you're not on facebook...  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/11 at 12:40 pm

you're not on facebook...  :P

You have to be on FB to see THIS thread?  ???

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 12:47 pm

You have to be on FB to see THIS thread?  ???

Cat

that's where the notification and discussion about it happened....  there were some 33 comments about it there...

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/14/11 at 7:18 pm

Behold my mighty power!!! Mahahaha!

LMAO!  Well there is a Typo that actually worked out!

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 8:09 pm

LMAO!  Well there is a Typo that actually worked out!

;D

Written By: wildcard on 05/15/11 at 12:18 am

he he funny little typo

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 4:31 am

Foo you know how I feel about those super geeks posts. So I hate to "defend" them but the reason they do it is their actual post count number is tracked in their stats. #1 & #2 are fully aware of just how many posts separate them. That's why they still do it.

No kidding?  Karma for that.  I had no idea.

I really didn't think the board actually counted posts past the publicly-stated limit, because I never looked for the post-count-in-the-stats pages.  If that's the case, I can actually forgive 'em for it.  I still wish they'd just pick one or two dedicated threads for that purpose (instead of just posting one-liners to 20-30 threads per visit) so that the "Recently Updated Threads" link could be useful again, but hey, at least there's a reason for it. 

I don't have to like (or even understand :) the reason, but as long as there is a reason, the behavior suddenly got a lot less annoying for me.  Sorry guyz/galz...

Written By: wildcard on 05/15/11 at 11:27 am

I don't understand how the post count gets so import.    Sometimes there's more threads I try to post in, but is there some kind of award or something for the most posts?  Well, when people start being attacked and Tam's authority gets questioned then it's definitely bye bye time.  Poor fool

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 11:57 am

^mostly it's about bragging rights.....like having the most karma on the board!  8)

Written By: wildcard on 05/15/11 at 1:42 pm

I know it's bragging rights and things like that.  I find it interesting how things like bragging rights become so important in peoples minds that they need to do what they do.

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 1:43 pm

I know it's bragging rights and things like that.  I find it interesting how things like bragging rights become so important in peoples minds that they need to do what they do.

sometimes it's all they have in life...

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/11 at 8:19 pm

I think there's a modification that can be installed that lets you add threads to a list, but no mods that let you remove them from your last read list. If there is one that works in the 1.0 and 2.0 versions of the software maybe I'll install it.  Or maybe it's just time for me to make the switch to the new software. I've been dragging my heals on that for years since the authors are apparently in no rush to move out of a beta release.

Usually I just mark the threads as read in my "new replies" section when I'm done for the day, but then again I never posted in many of the game threads so it's less an issue for me.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/11 at 10:35 pm

Usually I just mark the threads as read in my "new replies" section when I'm done for the day, but then again I never posted in many of the game threads so it's less an issue for me.

Me either.  For what it's worth, don't change anything on my account.  My system's to remember (roughly) when I last showed up, pop open one tab per board (which skips me over the game threads), and then to read the 5-10 threads per day per board that have conversation.

The unread threads feature is kinda neat if you use the oldest unread threads.  95% of them are rightly-dead, but on any given night, I can hop into the wayback machine for 2006 and usually find 2-3 threads from a few years ago that contain unsolved questions.  Because the hundreds of game threads get updated every day or so, the clutter remains safely in 2011, leaving the actual fossilized content of 2006 available for harvesting :)

Check for new replies or respond here...