inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video viewing malfunction in Firefox browser

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/17/21 at 5:30 pm

A couple days ago I could no longer view embedded YouTube videos with Firefox browser, my normal browser.  Instead I get an error message.  This is a new problem.  I verified that the videos play from Firefox if I play them directly from YouTube (and not embedded).  Three days ago I had no problem playing embedded videos in Firefox.

I did an experiment and opened the site in Microsoft Edge browser (which is installed but I don't use it much.) I discovered that embedded YouTube videos do indeed play properly when using Microsoft Edge.  I haven't tried any other browsers.

It may possibly be an issue stemming from a recent Firefox update.  Nonetheless, I wanted to report it, because it's a pain that the videos won't play.    :(

Subject: Re: Video viewing malfunction in Firefox browser

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/21 at 5:41 pm

A couple days ago I could no longer view embedded YouTube videos with Firefox browser, my normal browser.  Instead I get an error message.  This is a new problem.  I verified that the videos play from Firefox if I play them directly from YouTube (and not embedded).  Three days ago I had no problem playing embedded videos in Firefox.

I did an experiment and opened the site in Microsoft Edge browser (which is installed but I don't use it much.) I discovered that embedded YouTube videos do indeed play properly when using Microsoft Edge.  I haven't tried any other browsers.

It may possibly be an issue stemming from a recent Firefox update.  Nonetheless, I wanted to report it, because it's a pain that the videos won't play.    :(

I don't have a problem and I do use Firefox. Maybe your Firefox got corrupted somehow. Don't know. But, there are some videos that won't embed. They want you to watch them on YouTube.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/17/21 at 5:47 pm

I don't have a problem and I do use Firefox. Maybe your Firefox got corrupted somehow. Don't know. But, there are some videos that won't embed. They want you to watch them on YouTube.

Cat

Thanks.  I'm aware that some videos won't embed.  But the videos I'm referring to, I watched them on Monday in Firefox and they played fine.  Today, Friday, the same videos I watched on Monday don't play (at least according to what I described).  Maybe Firefox has to fix it, since I can play them in Edge.  I just don't like Edge.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/17/21 at 8:44 pm

Thanks.  I'm aware that some videos won't embed.  But the videos I'm referring to, I watched them on Monday in Firefox and they played fine.  Today, Friday, the same videos I watched on Monday don't play (at least according to what I described).  Maybe Firefox has to fix it, since I can play them in Edge.  I just don't like Edge.

Incidentally, the error message from YouTube is "An error occurred.  Please try again later.  (Playback ID ...)  Learn more."

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/19/21 at 8:36 pm

I'm doing a "test drive" of Opera browser to see how it works.  It seems the videos play fine.  Not sure if this is a long-term solution for me but I'll continue to investigate.

I'll also re-check Firefox periodically, as the problem might resolve itself (hopefully) on update.  :-\\

Written By: Elor on 12/20/21 at 1:38 pm

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?
Backup your profile though before you do it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/20/21 at 3:38 pm

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?
Backup your profile though before you do it.

Maybe as a last resort.  Firefox doesn't seem to have any other problems for me - I otherwise like it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/21 at 3:40 pm

I have trouble with Firefox starting when I first fire up my computer. I have thought about uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but it is such a pain in the ass.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/20/21 at 5:09 pm

So far Opera has proved lean, which I like, and it consistently plays the embedded videos.  However it has the same problem I noticed in Edge - bleeding over signature lines.  Not a problem in Firefox.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/21 at 5:45 pm

So far Opera has proved lean, which I like, and it consistently plays the embedded videos.  However it has the same problem I noticed in Edge - bleeding over signature lines.  Not a problem in Firefox.  :-\\

I like to use two browser when dealing with some sites where I have a couple of accounts. YouTube being one of them. Our main email is Google (who owns YouTube) and if I go to my Catwoman YouTube account-it will sign me out of my email. I haven't tried it in years but at the time, there was no way to separate the two accounts. So, I use Firefox as my browser and for my Catwoman YouTube account, I use on another one. I haven't gone there in a while so I don't always use the second browser.

I used to use Opera but I heard they weren't good in terms of security. I switched to Edge. It is ok but I prefer Firefox.

I usually have several pages open at any given time. Can you say "Multitask?"

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/20/21 at 9:51 pm

I'll also re-check Firefox periodically, as the problem might resolve itself (hopefully) on update.  :-\\

I got a Firefox update today and re-checked it.  It still doesn't work!  >:(

The thing of it is, I've used Firefox without issues for years.  Why it just decided to break last week when it had been working fine is beyond me.  Firefox also lacks some of the problems I've seen in other browsers like the bleeding signature lines, a nuisance in its own right.  Maybe the next Firefox update will take care of it.

Unless the problem stems from YouTube and not Firefox...

Written By: nally on 12/20/21 at 9:55 pm

I got a Firefox update today and re-checked it.  It still doesn't work!  >:(

The thing of it is, I've used Firefox without issues for years.  Why it just decided to break last week when it had been working fine is beyond me.  Firefox also lacks some of the problems I've seen in other browsers like the bleeding signature lines, a nuisance in its own right.  Maybe the next Firefox update will take care of it.

Unless the problem stems from YouTube and not Firefox...

Ugh, what a shame!

Do you have another browser you can use, such as Chrome or Edge?

If Youtube is the source of the problem, there's not much that can be done about that...maybe there's a setting or something that can be looked into? Unless an update would potentially fix the problem...

Written By: Howard on 12/21/21 at 7:01 am

I have trouble with Firefox starting when I first fire up my computer. I have thought about uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but it is such a pain in the ass.

Cat

It does take a long time to re-install itself, I always have a few back-ups for that just in-case like Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/22/21 at 10:14 am

I googled it - I did see some noise about a recent Firefox bug that affects video playback.  Hopefully that means they are working on it.  My problem is still not resolved.  :-\\  Maybe I have to be patient and wait for Firefox to fix it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/19/22 at 11:11 am

Incidentally I'm still having the same video playback issue as reported.  Very annoying.  I'm thinking it might require a Firefox update to resolve but it's possible it is YouTube.  It's peculiar that all these years I had no (unique) problems with video playback - until sometime early last December.  It is truly a pain to have to open a different browser just to view the videos being posted.  Frustrated.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/22 at 1:33 pm

Incidentally I'm still having the same video playback issue as reported.  Very annoying.  I'm thinking it might require a Firefox update to resolve but it's possible it is YouTube.  It's peculiar that all these years I had no (unique) problems with video playback - until sometime early last December.  It is truly a pain to have to open a different browser just to view the videos being posted.  Frustrated.  :-\\

I don't understand why you are having issues because I use Firefox and do not have any issues.

You can try this and see if that will help.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-firefox-not-playing-videos/

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/19/22 at 2:13 pm

^ It looks like that worked (the link)!  YAY!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/22 at 2:19 pm

^ It looks like that worked (the link)!  YAY!  :D

YAY!!!!

Cat

Subject: Video viewing malfunction in Firefox browser

Written By: Dude111 on 01/20/22 at 11:28 pm

Im glad things are working for ya again :)

Check for new replies or respond here...