inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Marlon Brando

Written By: Mushroom on 07/02/04 at 10:32 am

I just heard that Marlon Brando has died at the age of 80.  No specifics have been announced yet.

Rest in peace, we will miss you Don Corleone

Subject: Re: RIP Marlon Brando

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 10:44 am

I found this.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20040702/ap_en_mo/obit_brando

R.I.P.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: redhead007 on 07/02/04 at 10:52 am

RIP  :\'( May he rest in peace

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/02/04 at 1:45 pm

He was a great actor.  Beside all his famous roles, one of his best was a little know 1968 film called BURN directed by Gilo Pontecarvo.  It was in theaters for about a week and then pulled due to political pressure, as I understand it.  See it if you get a chance.

Written By: AL-B on 07/02/04 at 3:41 pm

Brando bloated up in his later years but in the early 50's he was RIPPED. "The Wild One" is a really cool movie (I heard that it was intended to be a cautionary tale against the "delinquent" outlaw biker lifestyle but instead it wound up glamourizing it), and his performance in "A Streetcar Named Desire" is VERY intense. (I haven't seen "On The Waterfront" yet, I need to go out and rent that one.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/04 at 4:08 pm

I guess that means no guest role in The Godfather IV  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/04 at 6:20 pm

I heard this afternoon.
:\'(

I still admire him for refusing his Oscar for The Godfather (1972) to protest the treatment of American Indians.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/02/04 at 7:09 pm

R.I.P. Marlon.

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:10 pm

A great actor. Rest in peace Mr Brando.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/02/04 at 7:43 pm

:\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/02/04 at 8:45 pm

He was in a movie with Matthew Broderick a couple of years ago,I forgot the name of it. ???

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 07/02/04 at 9:18 pm

He was in The Freshman with Matthew Broderick.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/02/04 at 9:58 pm

It's too bad that he couldn't have been a better father for his children. His son went to prison for murder, then his daughter killed herself. Still, one of the greatest actors of all time. And he'll definitely be missed. :\'(

I still admire him for refusing his Oscar for The Godfather (1972) to protest the treatment of American Indians.

Written By: jack on 07/02/04 at 10:33 pm

My prediction was right, he was the third.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,1507.15.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/04 at 1:23 am

It's too bad that he couldn't have been a better father for his children. His son went to prison for murder, then his daughter killed herself. Still, one of the greatest actors of all time. And he'll definitely be missed. :\'(

I agree.  That whole episode was terribly painful for him, and being a celebrity just compounded the problem.  Toward the end of his life he was running into some serious financial problems.  He was one of these typecast "living legends" every comedian was impersonating, yet couldn't get work in dog food commercials.  Well, not that he literally auditioned for dog food commercials.  Could have have been just the thing, actually.

"I'm feeling tragic like I'm Marlon Brando
when I look at my China girl"
--David Bowie
Sorry I couldn't resist.  That line keeps popping into my head!  Speaking of, that song was written by Iggy Pop.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/04 at 9:40 am

Boy,it seems like when most of the old time actors get really old,their acting abilities are limited to just nothing mostly. :\'(

Howard

Written By: Gis on 07/03/04 at 2:18 pm

Sad as this is I did get annoyed that the news reports all said 'the greatest Hollywood actor ever dies' now he was a great actor but I'm sorry he's not the greatest ever.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/04 at 5:26 pm

Sad as this is I did get annoyed that the news reports all said 'the greatest Hollywood actor ever dies' now he was a great actor but I'm sorry he's not the greatest ever.

"The greatest" is always a suspicious claim.  The guy was really really good, and he did revolutionize his profession.  He will be remembered as ONE OF the greatest.  And while I'm here, I do highly recomend the you find a copy of BURN.  It is out there and is a great film.  Has lots to say about the world WE live in today, especially toward the end.  See it and you'll understand.

By the way, it was started in Venezuela, but Brando got sick from the heat, so it was finished in Franco's Spain, which required a slight rewrite of the script.  It takes place on the fictional island of Quemada (Burn) in the Portugese Caribbean (no such thing),  and involves slave revolts, friendship, loyalty, imperialism, and sugar (white gold).  A fantastic film.

Written By: camaro on 07/03/04 at 9:51 pm

This is very sad. I really liked him in The Godfather. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...